• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

I see. If it was meant to block DA it'd block the url like with tinypic and whatnot. rt thing Slamtastic mentioned would be enough if the filter wasn't implemented right.

judhudson

Hmmm...guess I'll stay away from posting DA links until the Mods straighten that out. Anyhow, something I saw on Tumblr today. Not sure of original author...but I'd love to see this turn into reality.

tumblr_m37urpayNk1rriakmo1_1280.jpg

Songbird

Prodigal Son
It's not a big deal. You should be:

a) Rehosting instead of hotlinking (or just link a fav.me)

b) Using common sense for work-safeness just in case

Ed: Oh wow Cheez, I never thought of that!

McNum

Rari-ty vas Ponyville?

Hmm, a fashion designer for Quarians... who spend their lives in lavishly decorated envirosuits. It could work.

Narag

Hmmm...guess I'll stay away from posting DA links until the Mods straighten that out. Anyhow, something I saw on Tumblr today. Not sure of original author...but I'd love to see this turn into reality.

tumblr_m37urpayNk1rriakmo1_1280.jpg

You can probably use the fav.me links DA provides.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
My Little Pony S2 25 + 26

Q9E5Al.jpg

Pretty solid way to end up the season.

Twilight Sparkle getting all jelly because her BBBFF is leaving her. At first I thought the show was going there between the two but then I remembered it's still a kids show at the end of the day.

You'd think after 50 episodes together the ponies would you know actually be friends. The way how they all distrusted Twilight even though she was pointing out factual statements that they too saw, about how Cadence was being a jerk. Shining Armor siding the way he did makes sense (because he had no choice) but the other ponies chose to ignore Twilight at their own volition.

Even worse was Celestia in these two episodes. Not only did she refuse to listen to Twilight at all she's also weak as shit. What a terrible leader. She should go sit season 3 out. Time for Luna to take over.

But of course Twilight has to save the day on her own cause shes a boss. So she does. The battle scene with the changelings was sweet, and so was the way it finally ended. Friendship may be magic kids, but the evidently the truest form of magic is something thats just a tad more intimate.

Twilight forgiving everypony including that chump Celestia and her hug with her BBBFF was so dawww. Poor Spike is still a laughingstock to the very end. Seeing Twilight's parents at the end was neat too.

Anyway I can't believe its all over ;_;

1gvGEl.jpg

I thought overall S2 and S1 were about the same in quality. I thought the best episodes in S2 were better than those in S1 but it felt like there were way more mailed in episodes. Maybe I just feel that way because it's gotten a bit too formulaic and stiff.

Obviously though I can't wait for S3. I hope they decide to do more arcs. 3 episode arcs would be neat and would flesh things out more when needed.

Final rankings:

Twilight Sparkle > Pinkie Pie > Applejack > Rainbow Dash > Rarity > Fluttershy

Best song of course, no contest.

-Twilight Sparkle Tier- [10]

Luna Eclipsed
A Friend in Deed
The Last Roundup

-Pinkie Pie Tier- [9]

Lesson Zero
Hearts and Hooves Day
Ponyville Confidential
Read It and Weep
It's About Time

-Applejack Tier- [8]

A Canterlot Wedding 1/2
Family Appreciation Day
Cutie Pox
May the Best Pet Win
MMMystery on the Friendship Express

-Rainbow Dash Tier- [7]

Baby Cakes
Hearth's Warming Eve
Return of Harmony 1/2

-Rarity Tier- [4]

Mysterious Mare Do Well
Secret of My Excess
Dragon Quest

-Fluttershy Tier- [2]

Putting Your Hoof Down
Sisterhooves Social
Sweet and Elite
Hurricane Fluttershy
The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000

brian577

Banned
My Little Pony S2 25 + 26
You'd think after 50 episodes together the ponies would you know actually be friends. The way how they all distrusted Twilight even though she was pointing out factual statements that they too saw, about how Cadence was being a jerk. Shining Armor siding the way he did makes sense (because he had no choice) but the other ponies chose to ignore Twilight at their own volition.

Even worse was Celestia in these two episodes. Not only did she refuse to listen to Twilight at all she's also weak as shit. What a terrible leader. She should go sit season 3 out. Time for Luna to take over.

First of all her friends didn't know Cadance, she did. Secondly, considering how she tends to overreact to everything I'm not surprised they didn't believe her. Because of Shining Armor's believable explanation and the fact the Twilight tends to freak out I was practically convinced Cadence was innocent.

And yes, Celestia is weak because she didn't have Luna there to help and she was facing off against a powered up Changeling. The reason Luna wasn't there is because it would have looked absolutely ridiculous when they both got their flanks handed to them because the plot required them to lose.

First of all her friends didn't know Cadance, she did. Secondly, considering how she tends to overreact to everything I'm not surprised they didn't believe her. Because of Shining Armor's believable explanation and the fact the Twilight tends to freak out I was practically convinced Cadence was innocent.

And yes, Celestia is weak because she didn't have Luna there to help and she was facing off against a powered up Changeling. The reason Luna wasn't there is because it would have looked absolutely ridiculous when they both got their flanks handed to them because the plot required them to lose.

This is how I felt as well. Just look at Bird in the Hoof, Lesson Zero, and It's About Time. The other ponies know Twilight's prone to overreacting hysterics. It's a case of "Filly crying changeling".

I'd like to think Luna has a sensory deprivation chamber to prevent outside daylight noise disrupting her sleep.

And here's some long overdue Livingmachine art

Cheerilee

Obviously though I can't wait for S3. I hope they decide to do more arcs. 3 episode arcs would be neat and would flesh things out more when needed.

Unfortunately, season 3 is going to be a half-season compared to S1 & S2. Only 13 episodes after 26 & 26. I think we'll be lucky if we get two two-parters to start and end the season. It seems that Hasbro was being aggressive in reaching the 52-episode mark (required for once-a-week syndication), and more timid in reaching the 65-episode mark (required for five-days-a-week syndication).

Some people are fearful that MLP:FIM might end after a short season 3, because it's most efficient moneywise to milk a show for 65 episodes and then dump it, and Disney does that all the time, but MLP is a top-rated show on a desperate network, so I can't see Hasbro playing the game like Disney. I'm hopeful that MLP:FIM will be back in a big way for season 4.

It would've been perfectly fine if the Celestia/Changeling fight was a bit longer and looked more epic, but I've learned not to let the little shortcomings bother me.

Violet_0

Banned
Unfortunately, season 3 is going to be a half-season compared to S1 & S2. Only 13 episodes after 26 & 26. I think we'll be lucky if we get two two-parters to start and end the season. It seems that Hasbro was being aggressive in reaching the 52-episode mark (required for once-a-week syndication), and more timid in reaching the 65-episode mark (required for five-days-a-week syndication).

I don't think this has been confirmed yet.

Some people are fearful that MLP:FIM might end after a short season 3, because it's most efficient moneywise to milk a show for 65 episodes and then dump it, and Disney does that all the time, but MLP is a top-rated show on a desperate network, so I can't see Hasbro playing the game like Disney. I'm hopeful that MLP:FIM will be back in a big way for season 4.

It would've been perfectly fine if the Celestia/Changeling fight was a bit longer and looked more epic, but I've learned not to let the little shortcomings bother me.

It was never ever confirmed, it was always some kind of somewhat reliable "anonymous insider" scoop. Besides even Disney's recently broken the 65 episode mark with Phineas and Ferb now.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

HUB is still a fledgling network, I just can't see them abandoning one of the channels most popular shows. Also, it makes no sense to can a show after 13 more episodes after the massive marketing blitz they put into the S2 finale.

Cheerilee

It was never ever confirmed, it was always some kind of somewhat reliable "anonymous insider" scoop. Besides even Disney's recently broken the 65 episode mark with Phineas and Ferb now.

Top Draw was involved with every season 1 episode. Then they said they were working on 24 episodes for season 2, and people were confused because other sources said there would be 26 episodes in season 2, but then it came out that Top Draw actually animated 28 episodes in season 1, and Hasbro held two of them back for season 2 (the Discord episodes). There was nothing wrong with Top Draw's announced info. Top Draw wasn't "out of the loop" on two of them.

Now Top Draw's website says they're working on 13 episodes for season 3. That's basically confirmed. Equestria Daily was stretching when they suggested that maybe some episodes might be being made without Top Draw. DHX is entirely capable of producing entire episodes, but outsourcing is cheaper, and DHX's talents are better spent in a leadership role, like checking and polishing Top Draw's work.

HUB is still a fledgling network, I just can't see them abandoning one of the channels most popular shows. Also, it makes no sense to can a show after 13 more episodes after the massive marketing blitz they put into the S2 finale.
Yeah, I picture MLP:FIM being in a situation closer to The Simpsons, where the network won't let the show end (although not nearly to that extreme).

brian577

Banned
Top Draw was involved with every season 1 episode. Then they said they were working on 24 episodes for season 2, and people were confused because other sources said there would be 26 episodes in season 2, but then it came out that Top Draw actually animated 28 episodes in season 1, and Hasbro held two of them back for season 2 (the Discord episodes). There was nothing wrong with Top Draw's announced info. Top Draw wasn't "out of the loop" on two of them.

Actually Season 1 was split between DHX and Top Draw with DHX doing 15 episodes (including Return of Harmony part 1 and 2) and Top Draw doing the other 13. So it is entirely possible that DHX is doing half of season 3 (especially since they got done with Season 2 a bit earlier than season 1)

McNum

Yeah, I picture MLP:FIM being in a situation closer to The Simpsons, where the network won't let the show end (although not nearly to that extreme).
If this is the alternative, I'd rather the show ended strong than drag on and on and on. I'd love a good solid series finale over a Simpsons style fate. 25 seasons of pony with extreme character derailment and celebrity cameos every other episode. No thanks.

When Friendship is Magic has to end, end it properly. My preferred ending would be an episode about learning the final friendship lesson: That sometimes, you have to let go and not be the one holding your friends back. That doesn't mean you stop being friends, it just means you won't see each other every day anymore. Now wouldn't that be a fitting, yet both sad and happy, way to end it?

Then a Friendship is Magic: The Next Generation in a couple of years.

$200

Banned
I really don't see how Hasbro would possibly decide to shorten the season (or even cancel the show) when the show has already become their most popular girls franchise and the season finale got that really high rating. Unless of course they hate us and want to see us suffer.

If this is the alternative, I'd rather the show ended strong than drag on and on and on. I'd love a good solid series finale over a Simpsons style fate. 25 seasons of pony with extreme character derailment and celebrity cameos every other episode. No thanks.

When Friendship is Magic has to end, end it properly. My preferred ending would be an episode about learning the final friendship lesson: That sometimes, you have to let go and not be the one holding your friends back. That doesn't mean you stop being friends, it just means you won't see each other every day anymore. Now wouldn't that be a fitting, yet both sad and happy, way to end it?

Then a Friendship is Magic: The Next Generation in a couple of years.
I'd rather the show go on and on like the Simpsons. If the quality becomes too low for us to stand then we can simply stop watching and as long as there are people watching the show the community will not die down. It's like if your favourite sports club gets relegated, you can stop supporting but it doesn't mean the club needs to die.

judhudson

Yeah, with those Season 2 ratings, more then likely we'll see another big season (I hope). And yeah, I'd like for the show to go on for awhile - Spongebob is still making new episodes, right? I see no logical reason why they would want to can one of their biggest shows.

$200

Banned
Just to feed OP's curiosity:

-New writer hired about a month ago. Why is this evidence? Well, S3 Voice Acting work has been going on since...last November. And VA work comes AFTER episodes are completed, writing-wise. So there's no way they're still working on writing for only 13 episodes. And why would they hire a new writer if they don't have any writing to do? =P

-All the effort Hasbro put into advertising the S2 finale. Why is this evidence? Well, I don't see why they'd advertise extremely hard for a show that they're planning on canceling right after.

-One of the Hub or Hasbro execs said in an interview that viewer count skyrockets every time a new pony episode airs, and he does NOT think they can make good sales on re-runs alone.

-The Hub is a new network, so they're striving for good shows and content. Killing off their most popular show would be shooting themselves in both feet.

Need I go on?

Just saw this on ponychan.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Celestia is stronger than Luna though. Story called for Celestia to get beaten. I would have preferred a longer fight, but with only 40 minutes, what can you do.

I didn't mind her losing, and thought the explanation as to why was acceptable. I've always seen Celestia as less of a god character, and more of the Gandalf or Dumbledore character. Wise, powerful, but not 100% infallible.

McNum

Just saw this on ponychan.
Yeah, I think we'll at least get a full third season, and if the ratings keep up, a fourth. The Hub needs ponies right now. All I'm saying is that I want the show to end properly when it finally does end. Like Avatar did. Like Transformers usually does. Not just stop like Samurai Jack or Pirates of Dark Water. A movie would be a fine ending, too. Like Samurai Jack should have had.

I like stories that end. But it doesn't have to be anytime soon, of course. I just hope that Friendship is Magic gets the ending it deserves when time comes to say goodbye to Equestria.

NEO0MJ

I didn't mind her losing, and thought the explanation as to why was acceptable. I've always seen Celestia as less of a god character, and more of the Gandalf or Dumbledore character. Wise, powerful, but not 100% infallible.

To me she seems more of a character that has access to several amazing but not really battle worthy powers. At least that's how I feel after the S2 finale. The elements of harmony seem to be the ponies' only reliable weapon against powerful threats.

McNum

If it was 3 part ending, maybe a DBZ style fight between Celestia and Chrysalis! Oh the possibilities. ;P
A Spirit Bomb made in Equestria would be massive. "Ponies! Lend me your power and friendship!" Poor whoever is the target of that.

So, how many fanfics exist of that, you think? DBZ crosses over with anything, and so do ponies, more or less.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
No thanks, I like my account shiny and unbanned.

Cheerilee

Actually Season 1 was split between DHX and Top Draw with DHX doing 15 episodes (including Return of Harmony part 1 and 2) and Top Draw doing the other 13. So it is entirely possible that DHX is doing half of season 3 (especially since they got done with Season 2 a bit earlier than season 1)

http://topdrawanimation.com/from_the_top_2010.htm

My Little Pony 1
Layout & Background 28 x 22 minutes
Animation 14 x 22 minutes

http://topdrawanimation.com/from_the_top_2011.htm

My Little Pony II
Layout & Background 24 x 22 minutes
Animation 22 x 22 minutes

Top Draw has had at least a small hand in every episode so far (so did DHX, just to be clear), even the episodes that were mostly made by DHX. If Top Draw is confirmed as touching only 13 season 3 episodes, it's a really safe bet that there are only 13 season 3 episodes.

Beating a show into the ground is not the only alternative to a Disney-style cut-and-run philosophy.

Many shows have no support. They either have no network home, or their network treats them like disposable cattle. Simpsons is the biggest, most perverted example of the opposite philosophy, where Fox literally won't allow the show to die.

There can be middle ground. You can have an indie show that gets huge success on it's own and keeps itself alive like Baywatch/Hercules/Xena, or you can have a network that supports you with wisdom and can tell when it's really time to call it quits, or if you're really lucky you go out on top like Seinfeld (which I think was a bit premature and wasteful, and they should've waited until the show was showing a few more signs of age, but hey, they went out with class).

Yeah, I think we'll at least get a full third season, and if the ratings keep up, a fourth. The Hub needs ponies right now. All I'm saying is that I want the show to end properly when it finally does end. Like Avatar did. Like Transformers usually does. Not just stop like Samurai Jack or Pirates of Dark Water. A movie would be a fine ending, too. Like Samurai Jack should have had.

I like stories that end. But it doesn't have to be anytime soon, of course. I just hope that Friendship is Magic gets the ending it deserves when time comes to say goodbye to Equestria.

I don't think they're hiring writers to "fill out" season 3, they're getting started on season 4. I expect season 3 to be short, but I'm hoping that season 4 will come along quickly after that, and/or be unusually long.

And I thought Transformers usually ended pretty badly.

After the epic G1 movie, season 3 was kind of a disaster, with cheap animation and a terrible lead character in an emo-Rodimus who dropped all of his movie potential in an attempt to become a more interesting character, and ratings that fell through the toilet. So Hasbro yanked the plug on everything the writers had tried to do since season 2 and brought back Optimus to slap down Rodimus like a bitch, only to make a mini season 4 that didn't star Optimus and was even worse than season 3 and then cancelled the show.

Beast Wars set up one of their epic cliffhangers at the end of season 3, but then Hasbro canned the show because they wanted new toys, and the creative team basically ragequit, but they decided that the fans deserved an ending, so they got Simon Furman to write it for them, because they couldn't bring themselves to do it themselves. The ending itself could've been worse, but I don't think it was very good. And then the sequel series (Beast Machines) was awful (although some people really liked it).

I didn't pay much attention to Armada/Energon/Cybertron.

Transformers Animated was canned before it's time by Hasbro simply so they could take the franchise back from the Cartoon Network (who were doing great with it) and make Transformers Prime in-house for The Hub (which is good, but wasn't good for Transformers Animated).

No thanks, I like my account shiny and unbanned.
Everyone on GAF is at least a little bit banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom