• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

judhudson

And just to state the obvious, Derpy was factually not ableist. The Last Roundup was written by a mother of a disabled child, and Tabitha (fittingly, IMO) derped by giving her a little-boy voice. The only guilty party here is Jayson Thiessen, who let his PC guard down and laughed at a funny face, and who accepted the word "derp", a word that a razor-thin minority thinks should be a banned as a horrible insult against retarded people, instead of taking the word back and turning it to something delightful, taking advantage of by far it's biggest appearance since it's non-offensive South Park creation. And for that guilt, I'm somewhat worried that a great man like Jayson was fired/quit (since coming upon this terrible thought, I haven't found anything solidly confirming/denying it).

I don't care what people on 4chan do. I learned that a long time ago. I really don't care for the .mov series (although I liked Ren & Stimpy). Ashleigh Ball likes it. Good for her. Good for the .mov series. Different strokes for different folks.

And since there are hints that Derpy scenes were quietly censored in post-TLR episodes, it's safe to say that not only did we lose Derpy, but Amy Keating Rogers or anyone else from MLP is never going to be able to write a good MLP episode dealing with the handicapped. None of us are going to have fun with retards. None of us are going to do anything with them. I'm sure I'll survive without that somehow, but I don't think anyone is better off because of it.

I don't think Jayson quit or got fired...In fact, he just recently ordered a $500 commissioned Rainbow Dash plush. So I think he's still on board, but I suppose you can't take that as a full confirmation.

As for the last few sentences...Crackle says BLARGHL! (and that was post-TLR)

S2E21_Crackle.png

Cheerilee

I don't think Jayson quit or got fired...In fact, he just recently ordered a $500 commissioned Rainbow Dash plush. So I think he's still on board, but I suppose you can't take that as a full confirmation.
Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on his Twitter, and it's like... he's hosting a season-ender viewing party... at home.

"Hey Jayson, is there an MLP CD coming out?"
"I don't have access to that kind of info."

It's like he's deliberately trolling me. No way I'm going to bother him by asking him if he's still working. It'll somehow become obvious sooner or later.

As for the last few sentences...Crackle says BLARGHL! (and that was post-TLR)

That was already made. Censorship is always uneven.

judhudson

That was already made. Censorship is always uneven.

True, true. While we may never get an episode to focus on that theme (hey, anything is possible, we can't really tell for sure), I do believe that regardless of censorship, there will be even more subtle fan shoutouts in season 3. Now it remains if whomever approves of the episodes will catch them, or censor them out. We did see Doctor Whooves as the keeper of time after all.

I'm sure we'll see more Derpy and her cross-eyes, even possibly a speaking role. But the name will probably remain fandom for now. While she is one of my top favorite ponies, I don't mind whatever name they use. Call her Ditzy if they wish to carry on with the clumsyness theme that she has going on.

he really wouldnt have access to that kind of info.

That would either be Daniel Ingram or possibly their Marketing Department. Show producers/artists/etc. may not necessarily keep track of that stuff.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I think not even Ingram himself has access to info about music and what they plan to do with it.

Yea, Ingram would be the first to find out once they've officially started moving on it. Jason would find out at poker night with Ingram or when hasbro makes the announcement.

Cheerilee

he really wouldnt have access to that kind of info.

Yeah, and with an episode-watching party, of course he'd want to do it from his own living room, so he can watch the broadcast as it appears in everyone else's living rooms (or maybe he should've watched it on Youtube, LOL), but from my particular spying point of view, it's like he's saying things that are just enough to make me hesitate for a moment.

Nobody ask him directly.

ruby_onix said:
You can't force respect. It does more harm than good. It just delays and kills all dialogue while any potential narcs are present, even completely neutral harmless stuff because "you never know", and once those people step out of the room there's an unleashing of ten times the hateful shit. If you haven't seen it, your friends probably think you're a narc.

And just to state the obvious, Derpy was factually not ableist. The Last Roundup was written by a mother of a disabled child, and Tabitha (fittingly, IMO) derped by giving her a little-boy voice. The only guilty party here is Jayson Thiessen, who let his PC guard down and laughed at a funny face, and who accepted the word "derp", a word that a razor-thin minority thinks should be a banned as a horrible insult against retarded people, instead of taking the word back and turning it to something delightful, taking advantage of by far it's biggest appearance since it's non-offensive South Park creation. And for that guilt, I'm somewhat worried that a great man like Jayson was fired/quit (since coming upon this terrible thought, I haven't found anything solidly confirming/denying it).

I don't care what people on 4chan do. I learned that a long time ago. I really don't care for the .mov series (although I liked Ren & Stimpy). Ashleigh Ball likes it. Good for her. Good for the .mov series. Different strokes for different folks.

And since there are hints that Derpy scenes were quietly censored in post-TLR episodes, it's safe to say that not only did we lose Derpy, but Amy Keating Rogers or anyone else from MLP is never going to be able to write a good MLP episode dealing with the handicapped. None of us are going to have fun with retards. None of us are going to do anything with them. I'm sure I'll survive without that somehow, but I don't think anyone is better off because of it.

This is how progress is made. Getting the assholes to shut up in polite company is the first step in winning hearts and minds. The assholes always think nothing has changed, right up until the point they make an asshole comment and notice that nine tenths of their friend group have become "narcs.". Ask anyone trying to use "fag" as an insult on a college campus over the last decade how that tends to work out. And the assholes will keep being assholes, but they will have less of a platform to be assholes, and they will be prevented from infecting those on the fence with their assholery.

I am relieved to hear that the writer of the last roundup has a disable child. It entirely exculpates her intentions, in exactly the same way that Rick Santorum's black friends entirely excuses his race baiting rhetoric.

There is simply no proof that Theissen was in any way disciplined for The Last Roundup, much less fired. Equally spurious is your claim that the concern over portrayals of the mentally handicapped makes it less likely for MLP to tread into those waters in the future. It's not territory the show is lely to tread into in any cas, but raising awareness can only increase the likelihood that they tackle it- while simultaneously raising the likelihood that it won't be cheap laugh-at-the-retards humor.

Orcastar

This is how progress is made. Getting the assholes to shut up in polite company is the first step in winning hearts and minds. The assholes always think nothing has changed, right up until the point they make an asshole comment and notice that nine tenths of their friend group have become "narcs.". Ask anyone trying to use "fag" as an insult on a college campus over the last decade how that tends to work out. And the assholes will keep being assholes, but they will have less of a platform to be assholes, and they will be prevented from infecting those on the fence with their assholery.

I am relieved to hear that the writer of the last roundup has a disable child. It entirely exculpates her intentions, in exactly the same way that Rick Santorum's black friends entirely excuses his race baiting rhetoric.

There is simply no proof that Theissen was in any way disciplined for The Last Roundup, much less fired. Equally spurious is your claim that the concern over portrayals of the mentally handicapped makes it less likely for MLP to tread into those waters in the future. It's not territory the show is lely to tread into in any cas, but raising awareness can only increase the likelihood that they tackle it- while simultaneously raising the likelihood that it won't be cheap laugh-at-the-retards humor.

You know what else there's no proof of? Derpy being mentally handicapped.

tumblr_m3uorsO5431r1jqquo1_1280.png

tumblr_m1xkxwHyuf1rokwrho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m1xkxwHyuf1rokwrho2_1280.jpg

No, but it gives the character a unique identity and opens up the possibility for using the character to be progressive and teach a lesson about treating the handicapped with respect. Along with the emotional potential of her overcoming the handicap.

The original voice sounds the part, which is why it is better.

But they have chosen to pretend that the mentally handicapped don't exist, instead of giving Derpy an episode where she saves the day and Rainbow gets chastised for being mean to her.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah, a character already shown to be a clumsy oaf should be Ponyvilles ambassador to the mentaly challenged...

They never should have made her clumsy to begin with, accident prone sure, but clumsy and stupid, no. She should have been the mail pony in The Last Roundup. Let Pinkie give her a piece of cake, and be done with it. It took fan nods to poor pandering.

Want to champion the handicaped, look to South Park, which have done great with Timmy and Jimmy.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
The name is proof.

rubyonix said:
And for that guilt, I'm somewhat worried that a great man like Jayson was fired/quit (since coming upon this terrible thought, I haven't found anything solidly confirming/denying it).
If there is no evidence then why are you assuming the worst?

Songbird

Prodigal Son
if you go around thinking everyone cross eyed is retarded; you're the offensive person, not the people naming her Derpy.
You're not going to get a rise out of me by doing that. Anyway, you're missing the reason why "derp" is a slur.

Except that the fans gave her that name based on nothing but her crossed eyes and scrunched face, neither of which have anything to do with her mental faculties.
People failed to realise or care that it meant more than what they thought? Shocker. I think that paints a bigger picture of what crossed eyes and a scrunched face meant to them. Others got annoyed by the use and then suddenly it becomes a "taking the word back" thing. They knew full well that they were calling a character a retard based on cartoon quirks.

brian577

Banned
You're not going to get a rise out of me by doing that. Anyway, you're missing the reason why "derp" is a slur.

People failed to realise or care that it meant more than what they thought? Shocker. I think that paints a bigger picture of what crossed eyes and a scrunched face meant to them. Others got annoyed by the use and then suddenly it becomes a "taking the word back" thing. They knew full well that they were calling a character a retard based on cartoon quirks.

When was it ever a slur? The original meaning of the word was: A word uttered when one screws up. You guys were the ones who perverted it into meaning something more than it does.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
When was it ever a slur? The original meaning of the word was: A word uttered when one screws up. You guys were the ones who perverted it into meaning something more than it does.
Original meanings mean nothing when it's still used derogatively against the handicapped. But let's keep shifting blame and fault to people who are uncomfortable with it, despite the myriad experiences out there.

Orcastar

I've yet to see any compelling evidence of the word being a slur. It certainly wasn't a slur in the movie Baseketball, where it originated. Know Your Meme says the word is associated with stupidity, and stupidity is not the same as being retarded. The most popular definition on Urban Dictionary defines Derp as "a simple, undefined reply when an ignorant comment or action is made", which, again, has nothing to do with mental faculties.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I've yet to see any compelling evidence of the word being a slur. It certainly wasn't a slur in the movie Baseketball, where it originated. Know Your Meme says the word is associated with stupidity, and stupidity is not the same as being retarded. The most popular definition on Urban Dictionary defines Derp as "a simple, undefined reply when an ignorant comment or action is made", which, again, has nothing to do with mental faculties.
And it's not at all assholes thinking they're funny by trying to imitate a person's slurred speech? I know where you're coming from and I had to make an effort to stop using it, but I've seen it used plenty of times IRL to make fun of a person with conditions.

Ignoring and making comedy of the handicapped or mentally ill is pretty shockingly underlooked over here.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
And it's not at all assholes thinking they're funny by trying to imitate a person's slurred speech?
No, its not.

Thanks for calling me an asshole, that's very considerate of you.

Ignoring and making comedy of the handicapped or mentally ill is pretty shockingly underlooked over here.
you are inventing this problem and that is why people are not concerned with it.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
No, its not.

Thanks for calling me an asshole, that's very considerate of you.

you are inventing this problem and that is why people are not concerned with it.
Pandaman, stop trying to make this personal. I meant people explicity using it to imitate people with Down's Syndrome amongst others. This has happened in broad daylight, in front of hospitals. It exists and it's another aggression people face, just because you haven't witnessed it or heard the stories that doesn't mean it's been twisted to spite you.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Pandaman, stop trying to make this personal. I meant people explicity using it to imitate people with Down's Syndrome amongst others. This has happened in broad daylight, in front of hospitals. It exists and it's another aggression people face, just because you haven't witnessed it or heard the stories that doesn't mean it's been twisted to spite you.

Did you know that in ontario prisons, calling someone a 'goof' is synonymous with calling them a pedophile? i've seen people start fights over the insult. are you now going to stop using it [a relatively harmless insult] because of this erroneous regional interpretation?

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Did you know that in ontario prisons, calling someone a 'goof' is synonymous with calling them a pedophile? i've seen people start fights over the insult. are you now going to stop using it [a relatively harmless insult] because of this erroneous regional interpretation?
Probably, yes. If someone takes issue with a word that's been used to denigrate them then I'll stop using it. And who am I to decide if it's only relatively harmless? Just being considerate to another.

Probably, yes. If someone takes issue with a word that's been used to denigrate them then I'll stop using it. And who am I to decide if it's only relatively harmless? Just being considerate to another.

People have made fun of me because I post on GAF, so please don't use "GAF," "NeoGaffer," or "Gaffer" anymore.
Also, people insulted me a few years ago because of my username, so I'm going to have to ask you to not use it.
As a matter of fact, I was made fun of in school, so I'm going to have to ask you to never use words to communicate with me at all. Thanks.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
People have made fun of me because I post on GAF, so please don't use "GAF," "NeoGaffer," or "Gaffer" anymore.
Also, people insulted me a few years ago because of my username, so I'm going to have to ask you to not use it.
As a matter of fact, I was made fun of in school, so I'm going to have to ask you to never use words to communicate with me at all. Thanks.
Except that's a stupid leap of logic because being a gaffer is not a protected status. And also, being falsely accused of being a gaffer won't make you a social pariah for the rest of your life, lol.

Btw, have you ever come into our IRC?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
okay, now for the fun part.

if someone on gaf called me a goof, am i justified in acting like they called me a pedophile?

Gonna speculate here that since we're on the internet we're all from different locations. And as such, the cultures differ. I've never once heard Derp used as a slur towards the mentally handicapped. Apparently Pandaman hasn't either. But where Songbird is from, he's heard it used that way. There are probably others who hear it that way where they are from, too.

So you guys are both right, probably.

Cheerilee

We have a difference of opinion. I think it always makes the problem worse. And not in a "worse but then it slowly gets better and then it finally goes away so it was all worth it" sense. It's just bad until the bad wears off, or is offset by better attempts, which have been made that much harder because of it.

It creates insulated bubbles where people can temporarily forget that the problem exists, while outside the bubble things get much worse. It doesn't win hearts and minds. It doesn't build respect. It doesn't shelter the innocent and prevent them from becoming assholes.

Best case scenario, you manage to change the language and ban a word. Other words take it's place, and the banned word becomes a super-insult.

Did you just say what I think you just said? That Amy Keating Rogers really did make fun of retards (because that's what you saw), and that having a special needs child is equatable to the "I have black friends" excuse? If so, wow.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

The heck? "Derp" is not a well known term, and agree that it was blown out of proportion in this, but you seriously think she lied about not knowing it? Lied when she said that the new voice more in line with what she imagined.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom