• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian577

Banned
Whether he's being serious or not this would've certainly been an interesting episode.
vt9G9.jpg

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The fan dedication continues to astound me. EQD just linked "Pony Fantasy 6", a Final Fantasy VI ROM Hack that retells the story of FFVI with MLP characters.

I'm a bit weary on linking it so check EQD and see.

Cheerilee

I like how Han not shooting first somehow magically turns him into a giant sissy, as opposed to if he would've shot first.

Internet logic!

It's not that it turns him into a sissy, it's that it neuters part of his character growth (or rather, Lucas did that, the scene is just the example).

In the original, Han was backed into a corner, so he secretly pulled a weapon on his captor. Greedo says (without subtitles, but it's very easy to tell what's happening, unfortunately Lucas doesn't think very highly of his fans' intelligence anymore, so we get subtitles) that he's going to take the Millennium Falcon. Han says "Over my dead body." Greedo reveals that he also intends to kill Han (probably not there, he'll take him to a dark alley somewhere). Han straight-up kills Greedo before that can happen.

It's one part of how we're shown that Han is (at least in the beginning) a stone-cold survivor in a hard world who will do what it takes to look out for number one. It's supposed to make his softening and care about others more meaningful.

Then Lucas has a change of heart and decides that Han is a static character who didn't grow (or if he grew, it was just in that one moment when he took the money and left, and then changed his mind and turned back). According to Lucas, Han has always had a strong moral core, so he always does the right thing, and he would never shoot at someone unless they shot at him first (or almost simultaneously, but still first).

So now we have to completely break the scene, and wonder why this fine upstanding man secretly pulls weapons during negotiations (because he's a very slow draw and he's afraid he can't pull his weapon before Greedo's second/third/tenth shots, and one of them might eventually hit him, apparently), and why he waits to be shot point blank in the face before responding. Han's very lucky that Greedo is one of the worst shots in the galaxy, and/or Han's very lucky that he has lightning-quick reflexes that allow him to bend his neck to an inhuman degree at the speed of lasers.

The heck? "Derp" is not a well known term, and agree that it was blown out of proportion in this, but you seriously think she lied about not knowing it? Lied when she said that the new voice more in line with what she imagined.....

I didn't know she claimed to have not known "derp's" unfortunate history, and I have no reason to doubt her sincerity. What I do take issue with is a blanket amnesty for using slurs merely because one is close with a member of the slurred group.

Narag

Yeah, I got the gist of it, but it also makes no sense all because of who shot first. Han's character doesn't change at all. He's still a jerk with a heart of gold, no matter what.

That establishes him as a scoundrel willing to do what it takes to survive. I think it makes his assistance at the end all the more special.

That establishes him as a scoundrel willing to do what it takes to survive. I think it makes his assistance at the end all the more special.

I thought everything he said before the gunshot established that, not the gunshot itself. But I also am able to pay attention without the use of lasers.

Cheerilee

Yeah, I got the gist of it, but it also makes no sense all because of who shot first. Han's character doesn't change at all. He's still a jerk with a heart of gold, no matter what.

Just going back to this for a moment, Greedo's very specific act of pulling the trigger has little impact on Han's character. It also wouldn't do very much to Han's character to cut the scene entirely, or add the scene where he steps on Jabba's tail (although it does have some impact, and the majority of Lucas' changes have been for the worse).

Lucas changed Han's character. The edited scene is the result of a more fundamental off-screen character change.

Lucas, dwelling on that one scene, became upset with the idea that Han Solo was a character who would kill someone who meant him harm, with full awareness of what he was doing, to the point where he was casually preparing to kill before he even realized that's where the conversation was headed.

Lucas changed Han, and grafted on a "strong moral code" which says that he so strongly believes in self-defense that he would go so far as to allow people to take the first shot at him, even if that shot comes from a gun to the head. Only then does he receive moral vindication for killing.

That's really stupid and completely at odds with the character in the movie, so Lucas decided that it's the movie that's wrong, and he changed the scene that bothers him. Other scenes don't seem to bother him quite as much (like Han attempting to shoot Vader on sight in Cloud City, because Vader didn't die), but if he could he'd throw out the whole trilogy and start over.

$200

Banned
Finally got my tablet only to find out that it doesn't come with a stylus. It works with fingers but not my DS stylus.

df8ca328.jpg

I thought I should just order one of their pens but a single one costs at least $30 on eBay (almost as much as I paid for the tablet). Does anyone know if a iPhone/iPad touch pen will work too? This one on eBay for example only costs about one bit.

Step aside, New Lunar Republic

133679335510.png

Also

M8oHd.jpg

What is the "crystal empire?" Probably just some weird marketing speak for kids' toys, but I guess it could be based on something in the show we don't know about yet.

Also awesome fanart

e6j5E.jpg

$200

Banned
oh nice, a Bamboo Pen & Touch if I'm not mistaken (looks like mine anyway ;) )

odd that the pen wasn't included though

I bought the "Bamboo Touch" one instead of Pen & Touch. Do you know if those iPhone / iPad pens work on these things or any way to get a cheap Bamboo pen?

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I bought the "Bamboo Touch" one instead of Pen & Touch. Do you know if those iPhone / iPad pens work on these things or any way to get a cheap Bamboo pen?
Have you tried asking in the Arts & Farts thread in the OT? They may be most knowledgeable in this.

Violet_0

Banned

hm, a quick google search tells me that the Bamboo Touch doesn't have pen input. It *could* be that you might have to get another model for this, but yeah you should ask in the Arts & Farts thread.

Jintor

You screwed up to the tune of a lot of money :-/

Oh wait, $30 tablet? that explains it lol. Even my entry level cost like $100 with discounts. Mind you this was like four years ago.

I think it might be upgrade time in a month or two...

kunonabi

I think you're reading too much into it.

No he really isn't. I actually like the majority of the special editions and I love all 6 SW films(well not so much ROTJ) but the Greedo shooting first bit really does hurt Han's character and the film. The rest of the OT faired much better with the Luke and Vader's screams being the only other sticking points for me. Luke's was removed but I get the feeling we are stuck with Vader's.

It's still an entirely different situation though. It was an artistic choice made by Lucas because he's been softened by old age. I've noticed that kids change people especially those in the film business. We may not agree with the choice but he is entitled to do what he wants.

Derpy was a decision made from fear because they didn't want to deal with a bunch of idiot activists.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Lesson Zero:

Twilight gets cupcakes for a picnic with her friends. She's troubled at getting 13 instead of 12 because it doesn't split evenly.

In other words. "Smeg off Spike"

uePN5.jpg

Cheerilee

It's kind of hard to believe it's been 32 years since "Who Shot J.R.?"

(The layout of the GIF looked familiar, but I couldn't place it until J.R. showed up.)

For the kids in the audience, "Dallas" was an 80's prime time soap opera about a family of oil-rich Texans. The show basically invented/popularized the cliffhanger by having one of their biggest stars abruptly get shot in the season ender. With no answers about who shot him and why, or if he was going to live or die, America was on the edge of it's seat until the next season opener, which got (at the time) the highest TV ratings in history.

It turned out that [some convoluted soap opera nonsense].

The Simpsons parodied the event with their own "Who Shot Mr Burns?" cliffhanger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom