• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Sci-Fi era had a flimsy ongoing plot, but even that was abandoned once they set up Castle Forrester. Other than that the only real continuity episodes are Joel's last and Mike's first.

mclem

How much of a chance do you guys think we have of getting 12 episodes? I don't follow many Kickstarters, but I think with a couple more solid announcements, rewards and a good Turkey Day it might be doable. Or just one mega-nerd millionaire.

I'm confident of nine. Twelve is plausible.

What films will they be lampooning? Will they still be unknown B-flicks, or is there the possibility of them upgrading to more contemporary fare? Not Twilight or Titanic, but something more along the lines of Boxing Helena or Waterworld.

Bluth54

What films will they be lampooning? Will they still be unknown B-flicks, or is there the possibility of them upgrading to more contemporary fare? Not Twilight or Titanic, but something more along the lines of Boxing Helena or Waterworld.

Even if they could afford the rights to a movie like Waterworld (and it's unlikely they could) I doubt most studios would want someone making fun of their major blockbusters.

But Waterworld was never a blockbuster. Another example is Showgirls. I think everyone involved in that film admits that it was a clusterfuck of a film and yet they've since gone with the flow.

Exactly what goes into the decision making on MST3K when they roast these films? I know that several of the old seasons used films that had fallen into public domain. But then there were others like Gamera, in which they were able to use them on their show, but later lost due to the licensing rights expiring, iirc.

I know I've brought this up a million times, but crazy films like Mac & Me would be prime material. Orion Pictures went belly up ages ago, so it's not like there would be licensing issues there. That film has since become quite the meme, thanks to Paul Rudd and Conan O'Brien, not to mention the guys at How Did This Get Made. Mac & Me is the kind of show MST3K was made for. It had the same offbeat kookiness of films like Pod People and Time of the Apes.

Blader

So far I like everything I've seen regarding the new cast/chemistry/comedy. It seems like everybody's heart is in the right place. Hoping we can break that $5 mil barrier but if not at least we'll get something. And the shows don't take too awful long to produce so we probably won't have to wait forever either.
I'm assuming the new season will release in Feb 2017, since that's the estimated delivery date for all the rewards.

gabbo

But Waterworld was never a blockbuster. Another example is Showgirls. I think everyone involved in that film admits that it was a clusterfuck of a film and yet they've since gone with the flow.
Waterworld was huge prior to its release though, massive budget and all. Sure it 'bombed', but to say it wasn't a blockbuster?
It's just a little mainstream for MSt3k me thinks.

Norfair

Is this a show where you start from the beginning if you've never seen anything from it before?

No, you could theoretically watch the episodes in any order but some are better then others.

I would recommend starting with one of their more fun episodes like The Day the Earth Froze or Mitchel (but that one is a bit lore heavy)

You should be able to find the full episodes on youtube.

gabbo

No, you could theoretically watch the episodes in any order but some are better then others.

I would recommend starting with one of their more fun episodes like The Day the Earth Froze or Mitchel (but that one is a bit lore heavy)

You should be able to find the full episodes on youtube.

In theory, watching a Joel-hosted episode, then watch Mitchell, then watch a Mike-hosted episode from a season other than 5, would give you a good idea of how the show feels.

OnPoint

I was already kind of on the fence about this but Felicia Day is enough for me to bow out. Have fun with this guys, I hope you enjoy it.

mclem

In theory, watching a Joel-hosted episode, then watch Mitchell, then watch a Mike-hosted episode from a season other than 5, would give you a good idea of how the show feels.

Where, for the best results, "a Mike-hosted episode from a season other than 5" is "Space Mutiny"

I was already kind of on the fence about this but Felicia Day is enough for me to bow out. Have fun with this guys, I hope you enjoy it.

Really? From the VT I have to say she wasn't quite playing the character how I was expecting, and I liked what she did with it. In, admittedly, the twenty or so seconds we got of it.

OnPoint

Really? From the VT I have to say she wasn't quite playing the character how I was expecting, and I liked what she did with it. In, admittedly, the twenty or so seconds we got of it.

I didn't watch the VT. If I'm being honest, I'll still give this a chance when it comes out. But I dislike her quite a bit, so it will be hard to not be biased. It would take a crazy good performance to win me over.

Sou Da

I didn't watch the VT. If I'm being honest, I'll still give this a chance when it comes out. But I dislike her quite a bit, so it will be hard to not be biased. It would take a crazy good performance to win me over.

What is it about that everyone dislikes so much?

OnPoint

I can't speak for everyone. But for me, it's that she plays the exact same role in everything I've seen her in. That socially awkward, cute-but-doesn't-see-it, unconfident, nerdy girl. I've come to dislike her delivery a lot because there's no depth or nuance to it. It's like she just plays herself in every role. Basically I'm sick of her schtick.

I have a similar problem with Jack Black. That's not to say these actors don't have any sort of range (well in Day's case, I've never seen any), it's just that most of their usual performances don't show that off. I'm not seeing a character at that point, I'm seeing that person. And it breaks my sense of immersion.

Now am I watching MST3K for immersion? No, and I could easily just skip past the story bits with her. But the truth is there's a greater than good chance that while watching, she's won't be Dr. Forester's daughter to me, but Felicia Day. And that's why I'd prefer an unknown in the role.

Pudge

For me personally she represents the same kind of mentality that The Big Bang Theory does. She's very invested in this "geek" identity, in a way that doesn't feel 100% genuine. She feels very "media trained" in everything I see her in, and that doesn't really gel with the rebellious nature of the MST3K that I remember.

Announcing her as a member of the cast was enough to withdraw my pledge to the KS, but I still wish them the best.

Probably Laser Blast or something.

Pod People, Mitchell, Time Chasers.

Stick a Gamera or Godzilla movie after Pod People and Time of the Apes or Prince of Space after Mitchell if you like dubbed Japanese movies. They are delicious.

Is this a show where you start from the beginning if you've never seen anything from it before?

Honestly, if you don't like the puppet show aspect of it, absolutely everything is skippable and the show is just as good. I've made personal edits of the episodes I have on DVD to exclude the host segments that I found to be pretty bad.

The movie is the star of the show, not the mads. They're window dressing. Now the host and the bots are absolutely important as each one will have their own personality and sense of humor.

lednerg

I can't speak for everyone. But for me, it's that she plays the exact same role in everything I've seen her in. That socially awkward, cute-but-doesn't-see-it, unconfident, nerdy girl. I've come to dislike her delivery a lot because there's no depth or nuance to it. It's like she just plays herself in every role. Basically I'm sick of her schtick.

I have a similar problem with Jack Black. That's not to say these actors don't have any sort of range (well in Day's case, I've never seen any), it's just that most of their usual performances don't show that off. I'm not seeing a character at that point, I'm seeing that person. And it breaks my sense of immersion.

Now am I watching MST3K for immersion? No, and I could easily just skip past the story bits with her. But the truth is there's a greater than good chance that while watching, she's won't be Dr. Forester's daughter to me, but Felicia Day. And that's why I'd prefer an unknown in the role.
You should watch the second video on the page where she's in character. It's not the typical sexy dork she always ends up playing. Like, at all.

You should watch the reveal vid. I've never gotten enough exposure of her to know her schtick but that character you described does not reflect what I saw in the video.

Everything hinges on Turkey Day tomorrow. The results should give a good indication of how the 2nd marathon should go as well, and what the final episode tally might be.

kulapik

Everything hinges on Turkey Day tomorrow. The results should give a good indication of how the 2nd marathon should go as well, and what the final episode tally might be.

We're supposedly gonna have two Turkey Days, unless he meant that Yahoo and Youtube/Pluto have different streams, like Joel confirmed.

Edit: Nevermind, you already mentioned the second turkey day

mclem

New update up. Most notably, new reward tier ($85), containing all the (however-many) new episodes delivered digitally, so no physical items, no postage. Some other extra tiers coming soon, but they're very high-end (the *cheapest* is $847), and new slots in previously-limited tiers.

Also of note, they're doing something they're describing as 'addons' but seem like they're really probably best-regarded as a Black Friday sale that's got the proceeds also going to the Kickstarter. Individual classic episodes for $5, "The Classic MST3K collection" (which I guess is everything they have the rights to distribute?) which is $150 for 87 episodes, and an autographed turkey day set (absolutely no idea) for $100.

I'm pondering whether I'm tempted to get the collection. I wonder what's in it? I assume everything Shout! can still distribute?

The 3.3M bonus is currently down just as "Donors beyond $85 get credited on the episode", although there's this exchange buried in the comments:

DSaxH6I.png

opoth

Banned
I like that Joel commented after the fact on the possibility of that bonus reward that was teased in the last update, it was disappointing to not see it mentioned at all in the new update though.

I truly think that they likely have those episodes available, but they've chosen to roll the dice with the hope that the marathon itself and the dedication will be enough to bump it to 3.3 million. I have a feeling that we won't get the KTMA stuff formally dangled in front of us until the next marathon and they're trying to hit 4.4 or 5.5 million.

OnPoint

Just watched the update.

She's definitely not playing Felicia Day. But I don't like it regardless. I guess it's possible I'm biased.

But whatever, I can fast fwd past her.

Sanjuro

Just watched the update.

She's definitely not playing Felicia Day. But I don't like it regardless. I guess it's possible I'm biased.

But whatever, I can fast fwd past her.

Funny enough, most people I talk to who aren't diehards and liked the program in its heyday hated the segments the most.

OnPoint

Funny enough, most people I talk to who aren't diehards and liked the program in its heyday hated the segments the most.

I would say I'm somewhere below a "diehard", but I'm a pretty big fan of the actual riffing. I despise Joel in segments, but I like Dr Forester. I like Mike, but I despise Pearl entirely. There's always something that makes me want to just skip to the movie stuff. Now that something will be the new villain. It's just the way it is I guess.

That said, if they can come simply come close to some of my favorites, like Space Mutiny, Mitchell, Boggy Creek 2, Merlin's Shop, Prince of Space, Teenage Strangler, it won't matter and I'll be a happy camper. It's honestly going to be all about the movie selection and the writing.

explodet

New update up. Most notably, new reward tier ($85), containing all the (however-many) new episodes delivered digitally, so no physical items, no postage. Some other extra tiers coming soon, but they're very high-end (the *cheapest* is $847), and new slots in previously-limited tiers.
I'll admit to being both a huge MST3K fan and someone who has yet to pledge anything (mostly procrastinating). This new tier is definitely something I could get behind, though.

gabbo

I would say I'm somewhere below a "diehard", but I'm a pretty big fan of the actual riffing. I despise Joel in segments, but I like Dr Forester. I like Mike, but I despise Pearl entirely. There's always something that makes me want to just skip to the movie stuff. Now that something will be the new villain. It's just the way it is I guess.

That said, if they can come simply come close to some of my favorites, like Space Mutiny, Mitchell, Boggy Creek 2, Merlin's Shop, Prince of Space, Teenage Strangler, it won't matter and I'll be a happy camper. It's honestly going to be all about the movie selection and the writing.

I will agree with Dr Forester and the dislike of Pearl (and brain guy and Bobo), but I liked Joel's sleepy-bemused interactions more than Mike's. I will always have a soft spot for the more ridiculous stuff like "Cowboy Mike's Own Original Red Hot Ricochet Barbecue Sauce *hat shot off*" though. They were BOLD

mclem

I'm wondering if it'll be available outside the US. I haven't been able to find the channel on pluto.tv from in the UK

cj_iwakura

Heh, I just watched Women of the Prehistoric Planet and appreciate the thread title now. (Fantastic episode too.)

Honestly I think 'modern' b-movies aren't worth riffing on, actors don't seem to have that 'i really don't care about this at all' vibe that they did in classic b-movies.

Unless it's a Uwe Boll film, then go nuts.

I upped my pledge to the physical copies level. I do hope we keep getting more rewards to make this worth it, 3 classic eps is good start, keep it coming!

I do hope we hit the turkey day goal

mclem

Honestly I think 'modern' b-movies aren't worth riffing on, actors don't seem to have that 'i really don't care about this at all' vibe that they did in classic b-movies.

I think a big problem with modern b-movies is the stated goal of trying to remain a family-friendly affair. What might have been quite edgy in 1950 is reasonably family-friendly post-2000, but the same's not really true of the likes of Sharknado, say; there's a level of tameness in older content that makes it more accessible to the younger audience that wouldn't really be around in more modern schlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom