• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
4rYTquN.jpg

This is going to be amazing.
Pledge upped.

Holy crap. can't believe I called it based purely on the silhouette alone.
Nice.
Great grab for 2nd Banana

Joel actually says in the update that's not Patton in the silhouette and he hadn't event approached him about it until after the Kickstarter began.

Patton hasn't even tweeted about it yet. Once he does, the number should start climbing.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Holy crap. We're getting at least 6 eps and Patton as a writer/character?! I'm so in. And hoping for Netflix commitment.

Blader

To be fair, it sounds like casting Patton Oswalt was a pretty late game decision.

And in any event, if the old cast members don't want to be involved with the show, why would they be in the loop about whatever decisions Joel makes? It'd be nice if the whole thing was a collaborative group effort right from the start...but if they aren't in, then that's kind of on them?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Seems like the old guard is being a bit bitter and petty about the whole thing, just because Joel wants new blood. Especially with Joel having an open invitation to everyone, and does seem to be trying to make good by everyone after all Jim put them through.

FStop7

Banned
The new bots seem OK.

Really not feeling the new host or Felicia Day, at least not based on the promo clips played during the marathon. The Nerdist guy's delivery was so stilted and Felicia Day was badly over acting. I'm also not really crazy about those particular choices as it seems like they're just pandering to gross "Nerd Culture" by picking two very safe and predictable names rather than finding some new talents.

Seems like the old guard is being a bit bitter and petty about the whole thing, just because Joel wants new blood. Especially with Joel having an open invitation to everyone, and does seem to be trying to make good by everyone after all Jim put them through.

That's what I'm gathering as well.

I was only saying it might have been a nice gesture, but by no means required. I also think it's tacky that they're doing some passive-aggressive sniping on Twitter but have no problem using the "WE'RE THE MADS FROM MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER!" taglines and imagery.

Sou Da

The new bots seem OK.

Really not feeling the new host or Felicia Day, at least not based on the promo clips played during the marathon. The Nerdist guy's delivery was so stilted and Felicia Day was badly over acting. I'm also not really crazy about those particular choices as it seems like they're just pandering to gross "Nerd Culture" by picking two very safe and predictable names rather than finding some new talents.

I'll give you Felicia but a lot of "nerds" haven't really seem to have heard of the other guy.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I was only saying it might have been a nice gesture, but by no means required. I also think it's tacky that they're doing some passive-aggressive sniping on Twitter but have no problem using the "WE'RE THE MADS FROM MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER!" taglines and imagery.

Thankfully it only seems to be coming from Trace and Frank. Mike and the others seem fine with it, what with teaming up with Rifftrax. They have their own thing to do, but I can totally see them coming back to do stuff.

FStop7

Banned
I'll give you Felicia but a lot of "nerds" haven't really seem to have heard of the other guy.

I'm not familiar with him but I know the Nerdist podcast is pretty huge. Just the name makes my eyelid twitch a little bit.

Patton Oswald is pretty much a "best case scenario" choice, even though he's been around a long time.

The new bots seem OK.

I had only heard the name Felicia Day and had no idea who Jonah was prior to the Kickstarter. Felicia didn't move the needle that much and Jonah didn't at all.

The promo clips are simple introductions. It's unfair to expect Jonah (my main concern as he's going to be in the theater) to find his footing in the entire first round of new episodes, let alone a conceptual promo video.

AgeEighty

As great as this casting news is—and it is great!—there are other talented geek artists and personalities out there besides Patton Oswalt, Felicia Day, Chris Hardwick, Neil Gaiman, and Wil Wheaton. The opportunities to find the next no-namers—people like Joel, Mike, Trace, Frank and so on—are lower when we just keep enlisting the same few meta-geek celebrities for everything.

It makes sense to use an all new younger and recognizable cast. It will help attract new audience, and any network that would possibly pick up the show will be more interested.

Networks and such are not going to want a show staring a bunch of old white guys. It sucks to not have the old cast, but it makes perfect sense to be using new talent.

As great as this casting news is—and it is great!—there are other talented geek artists out there besides Patton Oswalt, Felicia Day, Chris Hardwick, Neil Gaiman, and Wil Wheaton. The opportunities to find the next no-namers—people like Joel, Mike, Trace, Frank and so on—are lower when we just keep enlisting the same few meta-geek celebrities for everything.

Yea but you need some known talent as a draw, especially if you want networks or other partners to jump on board. It's the same with movies and TV, some star power helps

Blader

The new bots seem OK.

Overacting from the Mads is practically a requirement for the job!

Heh, I've been thinking the same too. But I guess "Two of the guys from now-defunct Cinematic Titanic" doesn't exactly sell tickets.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
As great as this casting news is—and it is great!—there are other talented geek artists and personalities out there besides Patton Oswalt, Felicia Day, Chris Hardwick, Neil Gaiman, and Wil Wheaton. The opportunities to find the next no-namers—people like Joel, Mike, Trace, Frank and so on—are lower when we just keep enlisting the same few meta-geek celebrities for everything.

I think that quotient is filled with the new bot voices at the very least.

AgeEighty

Yea but you need some known talent as a draw, especially if you want networks or other partners to jump on board. It's the same with movies and TV, some star power helps

The show never needed star power before.

That said, I know this is a new show and a very different media landscape. But as much as I love Patton and Felicia, there's such a thing as overexposure. And it annoys me the way nerd culture (gag) just keeps eating it up every time they and the handful of others like them are cast in a new nerd-centric project. I know that never getting tired of the same gags over and over and over again is a hallmark of nerddom, but come on.

And Jonah isn't exactly a household name. Joel, when he started MST3K, would have been at least on the same popularity tier as Jonah.

Joel was a local no-name Minneapolis stand-up comedian. Jonah is a co-host of a popular podcast. He may not have Hardwick-level recognition, but he's not unheard of.

The show never needed star power before.

That said, I know this is a new show and a very different media landscape. But as much as I love Patton and Felicia, there's such a thing as overexposure. And it annoys me the way nerd culture (gag) just keeps eating it up every time they and the handful of others like them are cast in a new nerd-centric project. I know that never getting tired of the same gags over and over and over again is a hallmark of nerddom, but come on.

But it does need it now, to get interest from networks who have said no to bringing the show back. Whole point of this kickstarter is to not just fund a new season, but to try and get someone on board with continued support to keep making more episodes down the line.

And really Jonah, the bots, they are pretty much no name talent and they are the stars of the show. Day and Patton are the mads, they are a supporting and minor role really for the show, but heck their names are pushing numbers.

AgeEighty

But it does need it now, to get interest from networks who have said no to bringing the show back. Whole point of this kickstarter is to not just fund a new season, but to try and get someone on board with continued support to keep making more episodes down the line.

And really Jonah, the bots, they are pretty much no name talent and they are the stars of the show. Day and Patton are the mads, they are a supporting and minor role really for the show, but heck their names are pushing numbers.

I know all that. And like I said: I like the casting! I'm just saying I wish these same people didn't keep popping up in everything nerd related.

Blader

I'm glad I know basically nothing of the subset of nerd culture that Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt roll in. I mainly know them from Dr. Horrible and...King of Queens :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom