• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgeEighty

tb_zpsg0ejwabf.jpg

Yeah, this disappoints me. According to Joel, he can't give out any official offers to people until he knows what kind of money they have to work with. But that didn't stop him from talking to the five people they've already cast.

What with the earnest-sounding mea culpas he delivered in the KS project description about how the cast weren't treated right during the original run, if he really intends to invite them all to be involved, you'd think he'd have an open line of communication with them.

That said, I'm pretty sure they can work things out.

There's no way Trace and Frank were completely left in the dark about this. They've worked with Joel very recently on Cinematic Titanic.

They're probably just bitter because Joel wanted new blood (and it's HIS series so he can do whatever he wants with it) and they weren't able to reprise their original roles.

The Kickstarter would'nt be as successful with new/young people if the guard didn't change.

Sliver

I'm not sure how much communication Joel had with the old cast while creating the Kickstarter, but I'm willing to believe him when he says he wanted to make sure the show was a sure thing before inviting them back. Now maybe being back in that capacity isn't good enough for Trace, but I guess it's better than nothing? What exactly does he want, and what exactly is Joel offering?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah, this disappoints me. According to Joel, he can't give out any official offers to people until he knows what kind of money they have to work with. But that didn't stop him from talking to the five people they've already cast.

What with the earnest-sounding mea culpas he delivered in the KS project description about how the cast weren't treated right during the original run, if he really intends to invite them all to be involved, you'd think he'd have an open line of communication with them.

That said, I'm pretty sure they can work things out.

I don't see how much more open Joel can get than giving an open invitation. Sounds to me like they don't want anything to do with a new cast.

There's no way Trace and Frank were completely left in the dark about this. They've worked with Joel very recently on Cinematic Titanic.

They're probably just bitter because Joel wanted new blood (and it's HIS series so he can do whatever he wants with it) and they weren't able to reprise their original roles.

The Kickstarter would'nt be as successful with new/young people if the guard didn't change.

I agree. I could understand if Joel was hosting, but even he's sticking to cameo roles (from what I can gather).

AgeEighty

I just wish the back room politics of this show didn't keep bubbling to the surface. The whole Joel vs. Mike "debate" is stupid enough as it is without adding fuel to the fire, and I'm sure lots of shows have squabbles between the creative team.

This kind of simmering drama is so wrong for MST3K.

I don't see how much more open Joel can get than giving an open invitation. Sounds to me like they don't want anything to do with a new cast.

You don't think there's anything at all wrong with the fact that he's not at least dropping these guys a line to let them know what's going on? It would be a professional courtesy to them at least insofar as allowing them to be able to respond to the inevitable Twitter questions from fans with a reaction other than surprise. These guys all just finished working on CT together.

I think you're jumping to conclusions.

Sliver

I find the weirdest thing to be that Joel is seemingly having issues with Trace (and maybe Frank), two people he worked with a lot on Cinematic Titanic. While the Rifftrax dudes seem content, or at least silent, and selling MST3K on their website. Very odd.

edit: Mary Jo is seemingly happy with the news: https://twitter.com/MaryJoPehl/status/671426217254526982

lol. can't help but read it in a very loud Pearl voice.

Think it's simply Joel did this all on his own without any input from the old cast, and now they are pissed. As mentioned Joel worked closely with Trace and Frank, and recently Joel was working with Trace on Other Space too... so I assume if he kept this all quiet that they are pretty pissed off.

I find the weirdest thing to be that Joel is seemingly having issues with Trace (and maybe Frank), two people he worked with a lot on Cinematic Titanic. While the Rifftrax dudes seem content, or at least silent, and selling MST3K on their website. Very odd.

edit: Mary Jo is seemingly happy with the news: https://twitter.com/MaryJoPehl/status/671426217254526982

Directly selling their stuff on Rifftrax is probably lot more profitable for them than what Trace and Frank are getting, which is just kinda nothing as they do their own thing. Mike and crew just got a new revenue stream and more product to sell on their service, Trace and Frank don't have this.

AgeEighty

Yeah, the fact that they worked out that profit-sharing deal to allow them to sell MST3K episodes on the Rifftrax site really gave me hope that all the stupid drama associated with this cast was finally over.

Asked this on Twitter. We'll see if they respond:

@TraceBeaulieu @FrankConniff were you truly left in the dark about the new casting? Want/were you promised bigger roles? Want to understand.

daveo42

Banned

That's the way it comes off. Joel wanted new blood and the rest are being a bit skittish about the whole thing. Which, at least to me, is a bit sad. I'd love to see the old crew come back, but I agree with Joel that getting a new cast and making a new MST3K for a new generation is needed.

Tobor

Those people don't matter yet. I understand Joel's reasoning and I'm back on board now, but there are plenty of people who aren't. These Kickstarter campaigns are about sucking up nostalgia dollars from longtime fans, not building a new audience. Imagine if the Veronica Mars Kickstarter was without Kristin Bell. Once the shows are out there you can try and build a new audience, but the people who are paying hundreds of dollars are longtime fans.

Had the original cast returned the Kickstarter would have easily sailed to 5.5 million by now.

Those people don't matter yet. I understand Joel's reasoning and I'm back on board now, but there are plenty of people who aren't. These Kickstarter campaigns are about sucking up nostalgia dollars from longtime fans, not building a new audience. Imagine if the Veronica Mars Kickstarter was without Kristin Bell. Once the shows are out there you can try and build a new audience, but the people who are paying hundreds of dollars are longtime fans.

Had the original cast returned the Kickstarter would have easily sailed to 5.5 million by now.

I don't believe it would be blasting past 5.5 mil by now cause of the old cast. We would have some hold outs sure, but also Im sure we are getting all new backers and fans interested.

And it's more about getting network/partner support for future seasons, some popular talent will help sell the show

AgeEighty

I'm not sure I buy that. A changing cast is in this show's DNA, and any "fan" who can't accept that at this point doesn't really get the show.

I don't believe it would be blasting past 5.5 mil by now cause of the old cast. We would have some hold outs sure, but also Im sure we are getting all new backers and fans interested.

Yep. After Patton's casting was announced, they earned the last $60K to $3.3M in about half an hour.

It's impossible to know for sure but I think Patton alone has more selling power than the entire old cast.

Your average Kickstarter browsing Joe will back an Oswalt product over the original TV's Frank. These young people have giant online followings and, as much as I love them, Frank and Trace do not.

border

Is any television network in this day and age going to air a 2-hour comedy TV show? That's what always seemed like a really tough sell about MS3K.

I guess I understand people not liking old cast members and those people not being plugged in, but I love that Joel doesn't want this to be a reunion tour type thing, and is really treating this like a new show. Bringing in fresh people is really the only way to bring new life to the show. The alternative is it feeling stale.

opoth

Banned

Maybe so, maybe not. Joel isn't interested doing this as a nostalgia act, and the long view of this is not to just do 3/6/9/12 episodes, but to be picked up somewhere on a continuing basis, be it Netflix or Hulu, and I can guarantee that they won't touch this with a ten foot pole if they just trotted out the old cast, as great as they were. It's time to break some new ground and introduce some fresh blood to the genre.

Sometimes I wish the internet was around when the Star Trek: TNG was proposed in lieu of a revival of the TOS or something like that. Good creative types in the long run give us what we need, not what we want. We've already got 200 episodes of what you're looking for...I'm ready for something fresh.

Tobor

It's impossible to know for sure but I think Patton alone has more selling power than the entire old cast.

Your average Kickstarter browsing Joe will back an Oswalt product over the original TV's Frank. These young people have giant online followings and, as much as I love them, Frank and Trace do not.

Patton Oswalt will bring in bucks, no doubt. Great move on Joel's part, and it was needed to jumpstart the spending.

long term, a new cast is better for the show, I'm not arguing that. All I'm saying is that the old cast would have blown out this Kickstarter. Nerd nostalgia is a powerful thing.

Had it been me, I might have used this season as a transition to a new cast, or had a combination of old and new. But what do I know?

Abounder

Banned
Think it's simply Joel did this all on his own without any input from the old cast, and now they are pissed. As mentioned Joel worked closely with Trace and Frank, and recently Joel was working with Trace on Other Space too... so I assume if he kept this all quiet that they are pretty pissed off.

Directly selling their stuff on Rifftrax is probably lot more profitable for them than what Trace and Frank are getting, which is just kinda nothing as they do their own thing. Mike and crew just got a new revenue stream and more product to sell on their service, Trace and Frank don't have this.

Not to mention Trace and Frank have their own live show events, here's a FAQ

7. Will You Be A Part of Joel’s New MST3K Revival Project?
We’re very sorry to disappoint, but no. Due to time and schedule restraints, we won’t be returning to make new episodes of MST3K. But the upside is that we get to be meeting you personally on the road instead.: http://www.themadsareback.com/

http://www.themadsareback.com/?page_id=10

Patton Oswalt will bring in bucks, no doubt. Great move on Joel's part, and it was needed to jumpstart the spending.

long term, a new cast is better for the show, I'm not arguing that. All I'm saying is that the old cast would have blown out this Kickstarter. Nerd nostalgia is a powerful thing.

Had it been me, I might have used this season as a transition to a new cast, or had a combination of old and new. But what do I know?

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. I'd love to see the original cast reprising their roles for at least an episode. And as far as we know that's still a possibility (maybe they can physically change the guard and tie in all iterations of the casts).

I do hope they can raise enough cash and eyebrows to get the show picked up on Netflix or something though. However they're able to make that happen is fine by me.

Tobor

But the right people do. :)

Let's hope the right people have enough money to get us to 12 episodes!

Maybe so, maybe not. Joel isn't interested doing this as a nostalgia act, and the long view of this is not to just do 3/6/9/12 episodes, but to be picked up somewhere on a continuing basis, be it Netflix or Hulu, and I can guarantee that they won't touch this with a ten foot pole if they just trotted out the old cast, as great as they were. It's time to break some new ground and introduce some fresh blood to the genre.

Sometimes I wish the internet was around when the Star Trek: TNG was proposed in lieu of a revival of the TOS or something like that. Good creative types in the long run give us what we need, not what we want. We've already got 200 episodes of what you're looking for...I'm ready for something fresh.

Star Trek TNG was bankrolled by Paramount. Had Kickstarter been a thing back then, and had they needed it to do the show, who knows what might have happened!

As for what I personally want, I just signed back up for $100. This isn't about what I want. I'm discussing the numbers here.

opoth

Banned
I have to say it's been a very well run Kickstarter. I was really hoping that we'd have some details on his intentions for the KTMA episodes as a bonus but it seems like he's chosen to sit on that for awhile longer...maybe he thinks that $5.5 is really still possible and that's the nuclear option between now and then.

Patton Oswalt's involvement or not, I was pretty sure this was going to hit $4.4 as it picked up steam at the end as most Kickstarter efforts do. I KNOW everyone wants to get at least 9 episodes and it's stayed a very realistic goal even in slower times. I will be upping my contribution from $100 to $200 as soon as we get closer to the end.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I wonder if the KTMA episodes includes the lost episodes. Was rumored for years that Jim was sitting on the three lost episodes.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Is any television network in this day and age going to air a 2-hour comedy TV show? That's what always seemed like a really tough sell about MS3K.
I hope not. This needs to go to streaming. Who wants the commercials, shitty broadcast resolution, network censors, and edited content/riffs? Don't relaunch this on a sinking ship, please.

mreddie

Kinda sucks Trace and Frank are left in the dust but I assume once the KS closes, we might see a bigger picture. I remember Trace getting burnt out of the show after the movie.

Tobor

I hope not. This needs to go to streaming. Who wants the commercials, shitty broadcast resolution, network censors, and edited content/riffs? Don't relaunch this on a sinking ship, please.

Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon, hopefully.

If Yahoo Screen comes calling, Joel needs to run the other way.

mclem

Well, that's perhaps a reason why now is so appropriate; MST3k doesn't need television in 2015.

Patton Oswalt/Felicia Day *Has* to be about attracting future seasons/network support.

Who was the gaffer that several days ago was hoping to get Oswalt, but thought there was zero chance?

robochimp

Patton Oswalt is definitely going to help on this front. Netflix buys a lot of stand up comedy specials, MST3K would be right up their alley and I'm sure their data is telling them just that.

I can't help but feel that a new cast though is killing my interest in this revival which is why I haven't backed it. As it is, I've always kinda felt that the series wasn't half as funny without Trace as one of the creative people behind the show, and not just Joel, because the show still stayed quite funny for years with him when Mike came around.

This new cast though just turns me off completely, because they're replacing the bots too?? I mean...it's not like we're talking action movies here where people can get too old to pull off stunts...it's comedy, and funny people can always be funny no matter how old they are. This revival would've had me full on board if we had a return of Dr Forrester, Mike or Joel as the person trapped, Kevin Murphy as Servo, and Trace as Crowe...that's what I would have wanted.

This new cast does nothing for me.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I can't help but feel that a new cast though is killing my interest in this revival which is why I haven't backed it. As it is, I've always kinda felt that the series wasn't half as funny without Trace as one of the creative people behind the show, and not just Joel, because the show still stayed quite funny for years with him when Mike came around.

This new cast though just turns me off completely, because they're replacing the bots too?? I mean...it's not like we're talking action movies here where people can get too old to pull off stunts...it's comedy, and funny people can always be funny no matter how old they are. This revival would've had me full on board if we had a return of Dr Forrester, Mike or Joel as the person trapped, Kevin Murphy as Servo, and Trace as Crowe...that's what I would have wanted.

Patton Oswald I find pretty funny, him joining the cast might actually get me to scrounge up enough to back it. Especially if he helps with writing.

Screen is already done, they already axed almost everything including Other Space.

Damnit

Sanjuro

If they told me it was only old crew, I would be significantly less interested. They all have been mailing it in largely for years off of their name.

The brand would be dead.

Servo and Crow were both revoiced in its TV run, Kevin Murphy is in fact the 2nd servo, so imagine if they never changed voice actors we would never have gotten Kevin on Tom.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
If they told me it was only old crew, I would be significantly less interested. They all have been mailing it in largely for years off of their name.

The brand would be dead.

Yeah, I certainly see the argument. I kinda wish they would get RedLetterMedia involved. The best of the worst series has been the best thing since MST3K.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Yeah, I certainly see the argument. I kinda wish they would get RedLetterMedia involved. The best of the worst series has been the best thing since MST3K.
Nah, they would be terrible at feature length riffs. The joy of RLM is in the editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom