• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

There likely was massive NDA's due to Shout buying the rights to MST3K. With out Shout! buying the rights there would have been no reboot. The kickstarter was announced on the same day!

So wait a day or two to launch the Kickstarter and make some phone calls. It's not that complicated.

I thought of a good example. When Sylvester Stallone was writing Rocky Balboa, he realized he had to kill Adrian's character for the movie to work. He called Talia Shire personally and explained it to her. He was actually pretty broken up about it. He didn't have to call her, but it was the classy thing to do. She didn't find out over Twitter when the movie was announced in production.

Anyway, whatever. Update 12 is out. Nothing new in there though.

In order to reach 12 episodes at this point, the final 3 days would have to equal the first 3 days and the 7 days left between now and then would have to average ~$65k each.
If the final 3 days can only produce half of what the first 3 days did, then the next 7 days would have to average ~175k each, which is unrealistic.

I don't understand why people that bailed on the show in the first place are up in arms that they weren't begged to come back.

giphy.gif

opoth

Banned
In order to reach 12 episodes at this point, the final 3 days would have to equal the first 3 days and the 7 days left between now and then would have to average ~$65k each.
If the final 3 days can only produce half of what the first 3 days did, then the next 7 days would have to average ~175k each, which is unrealistic.

Good analysis. Honestly at this point, just hoping for 9 and the KTMA dead sea scrolls episodes as a bonus reward and hope thats enough interest for a streaming service to pick up the series after that.

I just hope Joel is reasonable about his expectations and the latter isn't held hostage as a bonus dependent on getting all the way to $5.5

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Has the store sales been added to the kickstarter yet, or is that happening at the end?

Kickstarter doesn't have a mechanism to add in off-site funding. They've been including it in any charts they make, though.

border

I don't understand why people that bailed on the show in the first place are up in arms that they weren't begged to come back.

Yeah, at some point it just seems like sour grapes. "I left because I thought I could do better elsewhere, but now that I haven't done better elsewhere I am upset that I wasn't invited to the reunion."

I certainly would have more sympathy for writers or cast that stayed until the end of the SyFy run who wanted back in.

mclem

Has the store sales been added to the kickstarter yet, or is that happening at the end?

As said above, there's no mechanism for adding external funding to the Kickstarter total internally; that's why projects generally won't introduce Paypal funding until they've got their initial funding goal, since it won't actually contribute to Kickstarter releasing the funding they recieve.

After Turkey Day itself I believe $85k of sales was mentioned from addon revenue; By now I think it's reasonable to assume there's another hidden $100k or so in the mix. The next batch of addons will probably add to that somewhat, too.

At the lowest ebb it's taking about $30k/day, but it's somewhat tricky to actually judge that given there have been a lot of mini-spikes as Joel makes new announcements.

It's worth mentioning, I think, that somewhere buried in a Q&A I'm sure Joel made a mention of the idea that while they like the distinct 1.1M milestones for each three episodes for publicity purposes, in real terms they're not strictly working directly to a discrete cutoff of chunks of three episodes; if they get enough for one more episode but not for three, they'll make extra. I think, therefore, it's quite possible we'll end up in double figures even if we don't make twelve.

It wouldn't surprise me if they formalise that for the last few days, breaking the last milestone down into smaller ones to make the individual goals feel more achievable.

They can't since those funds are being earned outside of kickstarter, so it can't be added to kickstarter, and kickstarter wont do so because they aren't getting a cut of those funds

Enk

makes good threads.
Joel's update today is that he has another extensive update tomorrow. Tomorrow's also when Rifftrax does their next big live show. If there was good time for them to announce any type of support for the new show it would be then.

From what I've seen of Big Kickstarters, the final 3 day push usually nets about 1/3 of what the final total is going to be. So if we can reach 4.1/4.2 million its possible.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Joel's update today is that he has another extensive update tomorrow. Tomorrow's also when Rifftrax does their next big live show. If there was good time for them to announce any type of support for the new show it would be then.

I bet Rifftrax drops a plug during the show, if not an outright guest appearance by Joel.

From what I've seen of Big Kickstarters, the final 3 day push usually nets about 1/3 of what the final total is going to be. So if we can reach 4.1/4.2 million its possible.

The other thing is, that it's going to speed up as we approach 5.5 million. As it gets close to the end and the 5.5 million goal, people are going to be more likely to pledge or up their pledges to get it over the last hurdle. I think this thing is either going to stall somewhere in the 4s, or make the full 5.5. If they're closing in or passed 5 million going into the last 48 hours, I'm confident it'll make it.

I'm surprised how quickly I've warmed to Baron. The Funny or Die video, and the video announcing who his voice actor was were both funny and well performed. My reaction to this video wasn't 'I like what Baron is doing with the character' rather 'Ha, Tom Servo is hilarious'. Which really is as it should be.

Yeah. The Crow feels familiar but different! So I like that.

Servo is completely different, but I like his humor and I think being different serves him well!

The new Crow was funny enough with the voice and inflections. Not Bill/Trace funny, but better than nothing (though I could've done without the Earth Vs Soup reference. That's a Trace-era thing that I got tired of after the whole bit played out on the show with Trace and Mary Jo's Mads pretending to be his agents selling the script and making the movie or whatever).

Servo on the other hand...still not feeling it.

Sliver

New update, just some general stuff. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/posts/1432821

Couple things I took away:

Now, I don’t know what the new MST3K episodes will cost later… but since each one is 90 minutes and HD, I think they’ll be at least… you know, I was gonna say $20 each, but let’s go with $15 just to be conservative.
Seems a little pricey to me, but who knows. It's really going to vary depending on who picks them up for more seasons.

Really liked the artwork on the patches, but some fans are disputing the episode amounts in the comments:

RSKuMNM.gif

New update is up. Joel mentions he's finally made formal offers to former cast members (while also saying some have said they're busy doing other things and some just plain don't wanna do it right now).

Edit: I like the idea of the patches, but they need work. Mike looks evil as fuck and Joel looks drunk. And I honestly don't give a warm shit log about Jonah at this point, so they could put a picture of a be-jumpsuited penis in his place and I wouldn't notice. Nothing personal against the man--I just don't know him or anything he's done to this point.

I like them arranged:

Untitled_zpsmn08o8jr.jpg

I don't know where they're getting those numbers.

Joel did 86 "experiments." Unless you count the KTMA episodes they redid on Comedy Central--which I don't because it's counting the same "experiment" twice. But even if you do, he's in 106 episodes (some say 107, but he didn't riff one of the KTMA episodes and was supposedly outside the ship but was doing a standup engagement in real life, I believe).

Mike did 91 "experiments," if you count the theatrical film (which makes sense to me), or 90 if you don't count the movie.

Either way, it's not 100/97.

Edit: Not trying to be pedantic here. I legit want these, but the numbers have to be right or what's the point?

mclem

So, in amongst all this, if it is still going to fit in to the overall continuity, as implied by the badges, I wonder how Gizmonic is reintroduced to the story. Mike's badge doesn't actually have the Gizmonic logo on his jumpsuit - which is correct for where he exists in the chronology, but it does suggest that Kinga is back with Gizmonic somehow, or at least making use of their resources.

And yes, I know I'm overthinking this, and the Mantra is going around in my head as I type.

gabbo

So, in amongst all this, if it is still going to fit in to the overall continuity, as implied by the badges, I wonder how Gizmonic is reintroduced to the story. Mike's badge doesn't actually have the Gizmonic logo on his jumpsuit - which is correct for where he exists in the chronology, but it does suggest that Kinga is back with Gizmonic somehow, or at least making use of their resources.

And yes, I know I'm overthinking this, and the Mantra is going around in my head as I type.

Well Mike was only a temp., I guess Kinga takes over Gizmonic, or at least enough to get their stuff.

jblank83

Joel did 86 "experiments." Unless you count the KTMA episodes they redid on Comedy Central--which I don't because it's counting the same "experiment" twice.

Not all of the KTMA movies were re-written for the Comedy Central run. Examples are Phase IV, Superdome, and City on Fire.

Enk

makes good threads.

If you're wondering about this show's place in plot and how the bots moved out from Mike's,
just repeat to yourself "It's just a show,
I should really just relax".

If you're wondering about this show's place in plot and how the bots moved out from Mike's,

Honestly, if they don't explain how and why the bots would leave Mike all alone after that final episode wrapped things up so well, I'll be pretty pissed. I mean, it's just a show and whatever, but if you're gonna resurrect the past, you'd better have a damn good explanation.

Honestly, if they don't explain how and why the bots would leave Mike all alone after that final episode wrapped things up so well, I'll be pretty pissed. I mean, it's just a show and whatever, but if you're gonna resurrect the past, you'd better have a damn good explanation.

I addressed that. Hand-waving with a lyric won't make the show look professional or well written if they pick up after a dozen plus years with "We're back on the SOL. Who cares why?"

I want consistency, man!

TedHub

Banned
I addressed that. Hand-waving with a lyric won't make the show look professional or well written if they pick up after a dozen plus years with "We're back on the SOL. Who cares why?"

I want consistency, man!

I'd love it if like, Kinga stuffed them all in a "Submarine Of Love" to go and retrieve the wreckage of the SOL, to set up for future seasons.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Servo being there is super easy to explain: there were a ton of copies of him on the Satellite.

However, Crow is impossible unfortunately and they should cancel the kickstarter right now.

B.K.

However, Crow is impossible unfortunately and they should cancel the kickstarter right now.

How is Crow impossible? There is at least one other copy of him working in a cheese factor in Wisconsin after his attempts to change Mike's past in Time Chasers.

I still haven't kickstarted yet. I certainly plan to, but I'm going to wait anyway. I hope my humble dollars, in the final days will ratchet it into a 12 episode season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom