• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

Patton Oswalt is definitely going to help on this front. Netflix buys a lot of stand up comedy specials, MST3K would be right up their alley and I'm sure their data is telling them just that.

Netflix just let their MST3K contract expire. They had a ton of episodes on the service and now they are all gone. For whatever reason, I don't think they are interested in a new MST3K.

I'm surprised that Joel couldn't get something going with Hulu though. It seems like they are dying to have exclusive content.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Netflix just let their MST3K contract expire. They had a ton of episodes on the service and now they are all gone. For whatever reason, I don't think they are interested in a new MST3K.

I'm surprised that Joel couldn't get something going with Hulu though. It seems like they are dying to have exclusive content.

Could be because Joel now owns the property again.

Tobor

Those episodes have been gone for a while. Like over a year.

opoth

Banned
If they told me it was only old crew, I would be significantly less interested. They all have been mailing it in largely for years off of their name.

The brand would be dead.

This is exactly how I feel about it. Rifftrax, especially the live showings are fun to hit once in awhile but you know what you are going to get for better or worse.

There needs to be a passing of the torch at some point involving new voices and new writers. I'm not a millennial or hoping for humor that only a millennial would understand, but you know, there's nothing wrong with riffing 70s or 80s movies with some on point non phoned in references to the 00s and 10s the same way we got 80s and 90s references in the 50s and 60s cheesy movies in the first run.

Evolve or die.

border

Those episodes have been gone for a while. Like over a year.

I meant "just let it expire" as in they did very little to keep the shows there, not that it was really recent.

Though maybe Shout pulled them strictly so they could support their own streaming network, and there wasn't much Netflix could do about that.

Tobor

I meant "just let it expire" as in they did very little to keep the shows there, not that it was really recent.

Though maybe Shout pulled them strictly so they could support their own streaming network, and there wasn't much Netflix could do about that.

It's impossible to say as this licensing stuff is so complicated.

I would hope Netflix at least makes an offer. They bankrolled two seasons of Trailer Park Boys and W/Bob and David, another low budget cult comedy with a diehard audience should be a no brainer.

they had only a few eps nor do we know the extent of the contract with shout on the streaming rights. likely it wasn't a MST3k contract, but one for various titles

That's her grandson. It makes a wonderful kind of sense.

Unless I'm mistaken, Frank and Dr. Forester weren't related.

RLM guys are unfamiliar with the MST3K brand.

They mentioned MST3K in one of their latest BotW episodes. And in the episode where they covered Space Mutiny, the fact that Josh instantly and definitively referenced the unintentional "resurrection" of the woman who had died in the previous scene the exact moment she appeared on screen tells me that at the very least, he had seen the MST3K riff of that movie.

Sanjuro

Unless I'm mistaken, Frank and Dr. Forester weren't related.

They mentioned MST3K in one of their latest BotW episodes. And in the episode where they covered Space Mutiny, the fact that Josh instantly and definitively referenced the unintentional "resurrection" of the woman who had died in the previous scene the exact moment she appeared on screen tells me that at the very least, he had seen the MST3K riff of that movie.

Yeah, but they've said more than a few times that they aren't fans or are familiar with MST3K. It comes up almost every stream.

Blader

I can't help but feel that a new cast though is killing my interest in this revival which is why I haven't backed it. As it is, I've always kinda felt that the series wasn't half as funny without Trace as one of the creative people behind the show, and not just Joel, because the show still stayed quite funny for years with him when Mike came around.

This new cast though just turns me off completely, because they're replacing the bots too?? I mean...it's not like we're talking action movies here where people can get too old to pull off stunts...it's comedy, and funny people can always be funny no matter how old they are. This revival would've had me full on board if we had a return of Dr Forrester, Mike or Joel as the person trapped, Kevin Murphy as Servo, and Trace as Crowe...that's what I would have wanted.

This new cast does nothing for me.

Mike, Bill, and Kevin all have their own thing going with Rifftrax, where they have complete creative control and reap 100 percent of the revenue. The Sci-Fi era is my MST3K golden age and I'd have loved to see those three guys involved with the revival in some way, but it really wouldn't make sense for them to do that.

Sanjuro

Mike, Bill, and Kevin all have their own thing going with Rifftrax, where they have complete creative control and reap 100 percent of the revenue. The Sci-Fi era is my MST3K golden age and I'd have loved to see those three guys involved with the revival in some way, but it really wouldn't make sense for them to do that.

It's not out of the realm of possibility. You just might see Mike pull a Soultaker type cameo. Etc Etc.

They serve all purpose doing that for marketing, makes no sense for them to go back to not being in control. Still a long way to go though.

Maybe there's more to Cinematic Titanic ending than we know. Were they all equal partners? Did Joel suddenly pull the plug to shift his focus to MST3K, leaving them out in the cold? Trace and Frank obviously don't have a problem find time to tour, I'd imagine they had no problem continuing CT.

Frank and Trace should just grab Josh and start offering their own regular digital content. I'll buy it, guys. No reason for you to be so openly bitter. That's really not good for the community.

Without any more announcements things are going to slow down alot again though sadly even though we had a huge day yesterday. Obviously there will be a big final push from the fans who will up there pledges too at the end

Cheebo

Banned
Maybe there's more to Cinematic Titanic ending than we know. Were they all equal partners? Did Joel suddenly pull the plug to shift his focus to MST3K, leaving them out in the cold? Trace and Frank obviously don't have a problem find time to tour, I'd imagine they had no problem continuing CT.

Frank and Trace should just grab Josh and start offering their own regular digital content. I'll buy it, guys. No reason for you to be so openly bitter. That's really not good for the community.
he just recently got the rights back to MST3K. The only reason we had Cinematic Titanic was Joel couldn't use the MST3K brand. It makes complete sense to switch focus to this, it has way more potential to make Joel more money and has a far larger potential fanbase than CT.

opoth

Banned
Without any more announcements things are going to slow down alot again though sadly even though we had a huge day yesterday. Obviously there will be a big final push from the fans who will up there pledges too at the end

The KTMA eps as a bonus reward of some kind is probably the last trick in the bag, which is fine.

Kickstarters naturally have a big push at the end regardless of anything else, so there's no doubt to me that we have at least 9 episodes to look forward to even if there was nothing new to announce between now and then.

mclem

There's still supposed to be a second Turkey Day, isn't there? Not sure of the timing/context of that.

Also curious what the new add-ons will be. As I've said elsewhere, a Gizmonics-branded employee polo shirt would be right up my street.

g_zpsduao7ayo.jpg

I really wish we'd get an explanation like Mike posted on his Facebook account instead of cryptic tweets.

g_zpsduao7ayo.jpg

I really wish we'd get an explanation like Mike posted on his Facebook account instead of cryptic tweets.

Mike seems totally cool with the new MST3K, but made no mention as to whether or not he was asked back. He just said he wasn't a part of it (as did Bill and Kevin) and since he's got a pretty good thing going with Rifftrax, I can see why it wouldn't bother him.

Meanwhile, Trace and Frank seem angry. Likely because they also weren't asked back, and don't have something like Rifftrax to fall back on. They're touring together, but I can't imagine they're making a huge amount of money from that.

Mike seems totally cool with the new MST3K, but made no mention as to whether or not he was asked back. He just said he wasn't a part of it (as did Bill and Kevin) and since he's got a pretty good thing going with Rifftrax, I can see why it wouldn't bother him.

Meanwhile, Trace and Frank seem angry. Likely because they also weren't asked back, and don't have something like Rifftrax to fall back on. They're touring together, but I can't imagine they're making a huge amount of money from that.

Joel has said the old cast and writers would be invited back, so unless he was straight up lying, it has to be either: a) they were offered less money than they would have liked b) their roles would be greatly reduced to the point that it wouldn't be worth it to the old crew to return.

Cheebo

Banned
I get Joel's desire to start fresh with a new group of comedians. I mean he isn't even on it himself. It's not like he is bringing back the show with him as the lead and just axing the old Mads.

Joel has said the old cast and writers would be invited back, so unless he was straight up lying, it has to be either: a) they were offered less money than they would have liked b) their roles would be greatly reduced to the point that it wouldn't be worth it to the old crew to return.

The way Joel worded it before was that he hadn't asked anyone back yet (because none of the money on Kickstarter is guaranteed until after the Kickstarter ends), but that he would be asking them back.

So maybe Trace and Frank are just bitter they hadn't been kept in the loop, even if they know they'll get a token invite back.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
My thirst for blood will not be sated until I've heard what Paul Chaplin thinks about all this.

Blader

I think it's pretty much what they implied before: after the initial enthusiasm and novelty wears off, attendance probably drops off at new live shows, even at previously successful locations.

It's also hard/expensive to coordinate five people living in different parts of the country to get together like that.

Darren870

Of all the shows to have consistent drama, MST3K would seem like such an unlikely choice.

There was always drama, especially between Jim Mallon and co. It was all pre-main stream internet so it wasn't as public unless you looked for it.

I think Jim was always the root of the problems, but it dragged others into it which caused them to probably dislike certain aspects of each other.

Cheebo

Banned
Frank clearly is upset they aren't getting main roles. Unlike on Cinematic Titanic which stared himself, Trace, & Joel.

But his saltiness seems very childish honestly. It's not like Joel is saying "fuck the old Mads we have new ones". He recast everyone, including his own role as the host! It's a full fresh start across the board.

Frank clearly is upset they aren't getting main roles. Unlike on Cinematic Titanic which stared himself, Trace, & Joel.

But his saltiness seems very childish honestly. It's not like Joel is saying "fuck the old Mads we have new ones". He recast everyone, including his own role as the host! It's a full fresh start across the board.

They kinda worked together from the start, and afterwards with Cinematic and then on Other Space. I wouldn't be surprised if Joel didn't even say anything to Trace and Co and this is why they are so sour about the whole thing. Trace being close to Joel apparently and there from the start, but being left out in the cold about this reboot?

Cheebo

Banned
They kinda worked together from the start, and afterwards with Cinematic and then on Other Space. I wouldn't be surprised if Joel didn't even say anything to Trace and Co and this is why they are so sour about the whole thing. Trace being close to Joel apparently and there from the start, but being left out in the cold about this reboot?

I mean what would they want though? Joel clearly wanted a hard reboot with a brand new cast that didn't even include himself. All he would be telling them is "Sorry guys, all new cast". I could get it if Joel kept himself on the show but recast everyone else. But Joel even axed Joel Robinson.

All of Joel's actions make it seem like Kickstarter is just a stop-gap, the new cast makes it seem like the goal is a brand new audience on a much bigger platform like Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/etc.

I mean what would they want though? Joel clearly wanted a hard reboot with a brand new cast that didn't even include himself. All he would be telling them is "Sorry guys, all new cast". I could get it if Joel kept himself on the show but recast everyone else. But Joel even axed Joel Robinson.

All of Joel's actions make it seem like Kickstarter is just a stop-gap, the new cast makes it seem like the goal is a brand new audience on a much bigger platform like Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/etc.

Some involvement at some capacity I imagine, but Trace and such are making it sound like they were left out of the dark on the whole thing which also I think maybe made things worse by hurting feelings perhaps.

SolKane

Some involvement at some capacity I imagine, but Trace and such are making it sound like they were left out of the dark on the whole thing which also I think maybe made things worse by hurting feelings perhaps.

I guess Joel learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature.

Tobor

Are you serious? How about a conversation? Joel could have explained his thoughts on rebooting in private. Instead, they found out the details the same way us fans did. You don't see how that could be seen as disrespectful? You don't think the people who made this show great for all those years deserve at least that much?

There's a classier way this could have been handled.

Darren870

Are you serious? How about a conversation? Joel could have explained his thoughts on rebooting in private. Instead, they found out the details the same way us fans did. You don't see how that could be seen as disrespectful? You don't think the people who made this show great for all those years deserve at least that much?

There's a classier way this could have been handled.

There likely was massive NDA's due to Shout buying the rights to MST3K. With out Shout! buying the rights there would have been no reboot. The kickstarter was announced on the same day!

There was always drama, especially between Jim Mallon and co. It was all pre-main stream internet so it wasn't as public unless you looked for it.

I think Jim was always the root of the problems, but it dragged others into it which caused them to probably dislike certain aspects of each other.

Right, I knew the history. Sorry if it wasn't clear in my post that I meant Mallon + this new drama.

Darren870

Right, I knew the history. Sorry if it wasn't clear in my post that I meant Mallon + this new drama.

Well, I can only assume its because Joel was working with Shout! to get the rights from Mallon. Now if you start talking to all your old gang everyone is going to want a piece of the pie. Things can get more complicated, especially when you are dealing with a man that has held onto MST3K so closely over the years.

Sure, we all would think that Joel would be keeping all his old friends and gang in the loop, but that's pretty silly from a business point of view. Its actually pretty amazing that Jim was able to keep the rights to the show when it first started, that's pretty much unheard of in the entertainment business. He was smart and I'd think Joel would have learned over the years that to be able to get the show rights to someone else it would have had the least amount of people as possible.

These are all assumptions of course, but that's usually how all these events unfold when it comes to transferring rights to IP around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom