• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbo

Finally backed it. My brother and I went in halfsies on the $100 (124 in Canadian monies).
Well, now it's just time to sit back and watch how it plays out

Krejlooc

Banned
I don't know where they're getting those numbers.

Joel did 86 "experiments." Unless you count the KTMA episodes they redid on Comedy Central--which I don't because it's counting the same "experiment" twice. But even if you do, he's in 106 episodes (some say 107, but he didn't riff one of the KTMA episodes and was supposedly outside the ship but was doing a standup engagement in real life, I believe).

Mike did 91 "experiments," if you count the theatrical film (which makes sense to me), or 90 if you don't count the movie.

Either way, it's not 100/97.

Edit: Not trying to be pedantic here. I legit want these, but the numbers have to be right or what's the point?

You are missing the Playstation Underground Mike episode, the Cheap Seats Episode with Mike, the 3 National Geographic Channel episodes with mike, and the episode of MTV Week in Rock that Mike did.

Thats 97 episodes, including the movie, that Mike did.

TedHub

Banned
You are missing the Playstation Underground Mike episode, the Cheap Seats Episode with Mike, the 3 National Geographic Channel episodes with mike, and the episode of MTV Week in Rock that Mike did.

WOAH that is good attention to detail then.

Krejlooc

Banned
WOAH that is good attention to detail then.

actually, I just checked, the national geographic things were branded with rifftrax, not MST3K.

but there are two Blockbuster Awards episodes and the academy of robots award show, which takes their spot.

EDIT: The episodes where they branched out and did non-b movie stuff is some of Mike's best. Highlights include when they riffed on Titanic in the Awards show, the entire Playstation Underground episode, and the really hard to find MTV Week in Rock episode where they make fun of Radiohead.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
How is Crow impossible? There is at least one other copy of him working in a cheese factor in Wisconsin after his attempts to change Mike's past in Time Chasers.

That crow would never leave, what with the awesome bennies. I hear they get Blue Cross.

I'm joking

Krejlooc

Banned
regarding the joel badge - the badge features Joel, Crow, and Tom Servo. While Joel technically did 106 episodes, as a troupe, they only appeared in 100 episodes together to do actual riffing. Crow and Tom didn't appear to do riffing until episode 06 - Gamera vs Gaos. Meaning there are 6 episodes (counting episode 0, the green slime) that don't feature them as a troupe.

Meaning there are only 100 episodes with Joel, Crow, and Tom Servo together, as featured in the badge.

actually, I just checked, the national geographic things were branded with rifftrax, not MST3K.

but there are two Blockbuster Awards episodes and the academy of robots award show, which takes their spot.

EDIT: The episodes where they branched out and did non-b movie stuff is some of Mike's best. Highlights include when they riffed on Titanic in the Awards show, the entire Playstation Underground episode, and the really hard to find MTV Week in Rock episode where they make fun of Radiohead.

Those aren't experiments though. If they're reaching that far to get the count up, they need to include every time they appeared on local news channels in Minnesota.

Edit: sorry for the double post.

Krejlooc

Banned
Those aren't experiments though.

they are 3 people in a theater watching the show making jokes.

They obviously don't need to count their hosting segments in KTMA or their news appearance because they weren't in that format. Hence not counting the turkey day hosting segments either.

Mike, Crow, and Tom appeared doing this:

mst3kHulu.jpg

97 times. Joel, Crow, and Tom appeared doing that 100 times*.

*Slight caveat - Joel, Crow, and Tom's likeness appears in a guest shot in The Simpsons during the episode "Who shot mr burns" part 2 in the background of Moe's bar when it was explained that Smithers would get drunk and watch Comedy Central. While Joel, Trace, and Kevin never actually appeared on the show, their likenesses did in the exact same pose I pointed out above. Obviously, that isn't counted in the running total.

WYRUZPH.jpg

Tobor

Where's Gypsy? Why haven't we seen the old girl yet? The show won't be the same without some Richard Basehart worship.

they are 3 people in a theater watching the show making jokes.

They obviously don't need to count their hosting segments in KTMA or their news appearance because they weren't in that format. Hence not counting the turkey day hosting segments either.

Mike, Crow, and Tom appeared doing this:

97 times. Joel, Crow, and Tom appeared doing that 100 times*.

*Slight caveat - Joel, Crow, and Tom's likeness appears in a guest shot in The Simpsons during the episode "Who shot mr burns" part 2 in the background of Moe's bar when it was explained that Smithers would get drunk and watch Comedy Central. While Joel, Trace, and Kevin never actually appeared on the show, their likenesses did in the exact same pose I pointed out above. Obviously, that isn't counted in the running total.

If that's how they're counting it, that's how they're counting it.

To me personally, it only counts when they're doing "movie sign" and running into the theater. Otherwise, it's just reaching. It's counting what are basically extended show advertisements.

So the patches are a no-go for me.

cj_iwakura

Glad you're back, forgot you were a huge MSTie.

Krejlooc

Banned
If that's how they're counting it, that's how they're counting it.

To me personally, it only counts when they're doing "movie sign" and running into the theater. Otherwise, it's just reaching. It's counting what are basically extended show advertisements.

So the patches are a no-go for me.

They do "movie sign" and run to the theater in the playstation underground episode, the blockbuster awards episodes, and the robot awards episode. Those episodes even have hosting segments where they explain how and why they are happening in the context of the series.

And, while they didn't do the movie sign or theater run when they appeared on MTV Week in Rock or Cheap Seats, their appearances were accompanied by the MST3K theme song (albeit without lyrics).

They do "movie sign" and run to the theater in the playstation underground episode, the blockbuster awards episodes, and the robot awards episode. Those episodes even have hosting segments where they explain how and why they are happening in the context of the series.

And, while they didn't do the movie sign or theater run when they appeared on MTV Week in Rock or Cheap Seats, their appearances were accompanied by the MST3K theme song (albeit without lyrics).

God damn your knowledge! Why can't it let me sulk?!

I'm sure I'll end up getting the patches anyway. I love the show too much not to commemorate it (or at least I love the past iterations...too soon to say anything either way with these new ones).

Uh, no.

What were the episode numbers for those specials, then? Did they have 2-hour time slots broadcast as part of season contracts? Are they a part of every current episode guide out there? Why even stop at specials, when there were many small appearances on Talk Soup, CNN, etc. and 2 live shows. What about the minutes-long unbroadcasted pilot? You get into grey territory very quickly.

Moreover, not counting some KTMA episodes as episodes is like saying they weren't even made as part of that season. While you can say that there were 188 unique movies on the TV show, there are still 197 episodes, 107 in which Joel was the host (even if absent for 1), and 90 episodes for Mike.

Krejlooc

Banned
Uh, no.

What were the episode numbers for those specials, then?

Their production numbers, as given by the mst3k info club, are:

1st annual Summer Blockbuster Movie Review: R01
2nd annual Summer Blockbuster Movie Review: R02
Academy of Robots' Choice Awards Special: R03
Sony Playstation Underground Experience: R04

R being a designation for special episodes. R03, as an example, came between 901 and 902.

To give further credence, the other "specials" have production numbers beginning with B (i.e. "This is MST3K" had production number B01, "The Making of MST3K" had production number B02. The Turkey Day segments had production numbers designated with T). Hence why:

You get into grey territory very quickly.

Isn't true. I'm only counting episodes with official production numbers K-10, and R. i.e. actual episodes.

Did they have 2-hour time slots broadcast as part of season contracts?

They had 30 minute time slots, yes. Except the Playstation Underground Experience, which wasn't broadcast, but rather shipped out.

Are they a part of every current episode guide out there?

You can find info on them on every single MST3K wiki out there, including the info club.

Why even stop at specials, when there were many small appearances on Talk Soup, CNN, etc. and 2 live shows.

Because, like I explained, those weren't in the MST3K format.

What about the minutes-long unbroadcasted pilot?

Episode 0 actually did not feature tom and crow riffing.

TedHub

Banned
I actually kinda love this idea. I'd tweet it to Joel or something.

Perhaps in a DM or something. I know they've been working on concept art and stuff for a while (the main design guy posted in this thread, even) so I imagine they already have a location in place.

mclem

Where's Gypsy? Why haven't we seen the old girl yet? The show won't be the same without some Richard Basehart worship.

I am curious what they'll do with her, if anything. On the one hand she was an important fourth character to bounce off during host segments. On the other hand she was voiced by Jim Mallon for most of her life, and for all the talk about wanting to get the old crew back together, I suspect that he is one whose invite might get 'lost in the post'...

But if they drop her, they'll have to change the Robot Roll-Call. So I really hope Patrick Brantseg is free.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I am curious what they'll do with her, if anything. On the one hand she was an important fourth character to bounce off during host segments. On the other hand she was voiced by Jim Mallon for most of her life, and for all the talk about wanting to get the old crew back together, I suspect that he is one whose invite might get 'lost in the post'...

But if they drop her, they'll have to change the Robot Roll-Call. So I really hope Patrick Brantseg is free.

I could see them having Joel, Felicia Day, or Patton Oswalt voice Gypsy.

Cheebo

Banned
Their production numbers, as given by the mst3k info club, are:

1st annual Summer Blockbuster Movie Review: R01
2nd annual Summer Blockbuster Movie Review: R02
Academy of Robots' Choice Awards Special: R03
Sony Playstation Underground Experience: R04

R being a designation for special episodes. R03, as an example, came between 901 and 902.

To give further credence, the other "specials" have production numbers beginning with B (i.e. "This is MST3K" had production number B01, "The Making of MST3K" had production number B02. The Turkey Day segments had production numbers designated with T). Hence why:

Isn't true. I'm only counting episodes with official production numbers K-10, and R. i.e. actual episodes.

They had 30 minute time slots, yes. Except the Playstation Underground Experience, which wasn't broadcast, but rather shipped out.

You can find info on them on every single MST3K wiki out there, including the info club.

Because, like I explained, those weren't in the MST3K format.

Episode 0 actually did not feature tom and crow riffing.
Those are made up fan named production numbers. They were 100% not part of the MST3K production at all.

All they were counting is episodes, not appearances and there is no way you can consider those episodes. If the entire show was put on Netflix or released on home video or aired in syndication those would not be episodes and are not listed in any episode guides as official episodes.

They are just random appearances as part of other productions.

Those are made up fan named production numbers. They were 100% not part of the MST3K production at all.

All they were counting is episodes, not appearances and there is no way you can consider those episodes. If the entire show was put on Netflix or released on home video or aired in syndication those would not be episodes and are not listed in any episode guides as official episodes.

Yeah, nobody else counts them as episodes. All campaign messaging has used the 197 episode number.

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah, nobody else counts them as episodes. All campaign messaging has used the 197 episode number.

Yeah, I dont think anyone seriously considers them official episodes of MST3K. They were just guest apperances on other productions, not their own actual production as an episode. Those never count for any shows, not just MST3K.

Owensboro

How in the holy hell did I miss the Patton Oswalt announcement?!?! That's amazing news. Hopefully they release some kind of demo of everyone (obviously Oswalt wouldn't be in them) playing off each other for a short or something. Seeing any sort of chemistry when an actual movie is playing and/or a little skit on the SoL would cement my $$ being thrown in.

Blader

How in the holy hell did I miss the Patton Oswalt announcement?!?! That's amazing news. Hopefully they release some kind of demo of everyone (obviously Oswalt wouldn't be in them) playing off each other for a short or something. Seeing any sort of chemistry when an actual movie is playing and/or a little skit on the SoL would cement my $$ being thrown in.

They likely don't have the sets/studio space to do that. But I'd be surprised if they didn't release a short with Jonah and the new bots riffing. I'd actually be kind of disappointed if they didn't.

Joel mentioned in an interview that the idea for the show came to him after seeing artwork for the Elton John song "I've Seen That Movie Too." And yeah, it looks like MST to me!

johnmovie.jpeg

Oni Jazar

So about a week left for the kickstarter. I don't see them pulling off the full 12 eps but they could get to the 7-9 range with some good advertising.

opoth

Banned
So about a week left for the kickstarter. I don't see them pulling off the full 12 eps but they could get to the 7-9 range with some good advertising.

Don't forget the Black Friday/Cyber Monday addons which should add at least $100k to the total that we're not seeing yet. Joel still hasn't formally announced the KTMA bonus yet, hopefully that will materialize.

All that aside, all major Kickstarter campaigns undergo a big rush at the end. We'll see 9 episodes easy - I just hope they make the goals more granular in the final days and we can potentially pull 10 episodes.

Sliver

Yeah, I'm thinking Joel is gonna have to do some exciting announcements and pull out all the stops if he wants to get to 12. I just want to see something being riffed, preferably with the voice actors doing the puppeteering.

Guess they both had professional puppeteers for the Funny Or Die video. If Trace and Kevin can work puppets I'm thinking these two should be able to.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm not seeing how the lost KTMA episodes will result in a big push. Outside of hardcore fans, I don't see a big market for them.

Depending on the tier, it could incentivize people to up their pledges for one. It'd also create some additional buzz around the internet that the "lost" episodes are finally being released.

It's good for another round of positive press and hopefully some additional eyes on the project.

opoth

Banned
I'm not seeing how the lost KTMA episodes will result in a big push. Outside of hardcore fans, I don't see a big market for them.

Well, that's who's contributing to this Kickstarter. I think announcing it soon-ish would be a fun way to keep the momentum going over the weekend and then at that point, you're just in the mode where it picks up steam on its own for the last couple of days.

The lost KTMA eps wouldn't be an announcement on the level of Patton Oswalt joining the cast, but it's pretty megaton for longtime fans and good for a quick blurb in social media.

I guess the question is, if it happens, is it coming today or Monday? Monday is probably better from the perspective of the news cycle, but by then its going to pick back up anyways and I'm sure Joel feels it might need another shot in the arm ASAP.

I'm sure they'd like a bunch of people to move from the $100 tier closer to $200. I know I'm planning on doing that anyways - definitely in for the Blu-Ray tier, especially if there will be at least 9 episodes.

Well, that's who's contributing to this Kickstarter. I think announcing it soon-ish would be a fun way to keep the momentum going over the weekend and then at that point, you're just in the mode where it picks up steam on its own for the last couple of days.

Should have clarified: The hardcore of the hardcore.

I know several huge fans like myself who have donated, but are not interested in buying them.

Anal!

I'm still only at $250 for now...

It's true, I am anal :lol. I still haven't contributed yet but I think I've convinced my wife and myself to put in $100 at least. I don't know if I can convince both of us to do $200...

New Update!

Big News:
- Extra rewards for hitting milestones by 8 AM Tuesday, including 4 more free classic episodes if they hit $4.4M by that time.
- They will be doing double feature live streamings every day next week.
- Special stream Friday, December 11 (last day of Kickstarter campaign)
- New updates every day next week

Has their appearance on the Playstation Underground disc been given an episode number? I thought that appearance was pretty funny.

Ordered the patches. And I'm in for $36 on the Kickstarter. Still not sure on the new hosts, but it's the least I can do for the joy Joel's creation (and its offspring, Rifftrax) has brought me over the years.

Speaking of Rifftrax, the new update mentions some kind of team up with that group, but we won't find out what it is until we get past $4.4 million.

border

The lost KTMA eps wouldn't be an announcement on the level of Patton Oswalt joining the cast, but it's pretty megaton for longtime fans and good for a quick blurb in social media.

Casual fan question:

Is there evidence or confirmation that watchable recordings of "lost" KTMA episodes even exist? Or are people just assuming that they will be a Kickstarter bonus?

Casual fan question:

Is there evidence or confirmation that watchable recordings of "lost" KTMA episodes even exist? Or are people just assuming that they will be a Kickstarter bonus?

They certainly exist. At this point, people are assuming they'll be made available via a Kickstarter bonus/reward tier.

Darren870

They exist, but who knows if Jim had to hand them over when he sold mst3k. He was the only person we knew who had the originals.

It's possible Joel didn't get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom