• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

opoth

Banned
Agreed. I haven't seen any reputable source say for sure they they still exist. All I've heard are rumors.

Though I'd be ecstatic to be proven wrong.

Some of the host segments for these episodes were posted on mst3k.com around the same time as Cinematic Titanic got started, back when Jim still owned the domain, so they are around.

Joel is the one who subtly suggested that they could be in play as potential Kickstarter rewards, so personally, I think he can make it happen, it's really all about picking the right time to formally throw it out there. The latest update seems to have more hints at that as well.

Darren870

I think people have just assumed Jim had them all these years.

He said in an interview he has them. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit:

http://www.mst3kinfo.com/satnews/brains/mallon.html

Q: Here’s a question every MSTie has wanted to ask you for 15 years or more: Do you, in fact, own copies of the first three KTMA episodes?
A: In fact, I do! I just saw the 3/4” cassettes last week.

Q: Is it possible, then, that the host segments (since the movie segments would have rights issues) from those episodes could someday be released? MSTie completionists out there are dying to know.
A: Yes. We’d like to put some of them up on mst3k.com. Because of the age of the tapes and the format, though, we need to find a facility to help us make the Quicktime files. 3/4” machines regularly ate the tapes when the format was new. I would hate to have that happen now.

They'd still have to work out the legal kinks for the lost KTMA episodes, right? I'm guessing they're on good terms with Sandy Frank or AIP or whoever owns Fugitive Alien II, since you can legally stream the season 3 version. But do they have a relationship with whoever owns those Gerry Anderson flicks? Man, it'd be nice to have a non bootleg version of The Green Slime, too. Hoping for the best here, but I've got my expectations set to KTMA versions of stuff they already have the rights to (non-Gamera Sandy Frank) and anything that might be public domain. Or nothing. Nothing wouldn't surprise me either.

Yeah not a chance. Still need $600,000 just for 9 episodes.

9 is happening easily, but yea 12 is going to be a huge stretch to make. Believe theres over 100k in funds from outside KS also to add after the campaign and more funds are being raised now via other campaigns according to their IG and such, so we will see how much extra gets added at the end.

Course its been said exact episode count might change after the campaign, like if they have enough they could maybe do another episode or two even if it wasn't a goal, but can afford it.

9 is happening easily, but yea 12 is going to be a huge stretch to make. Believe theres over 100k in funds from outside KS also to add after the campaign and more funds are being raised now via other campaigns according to their IG and such, so we will see how much extra gets added at the end.

Course its been said exact episode count might change after the campaign, like if they have enough they could maybe do another episode or two even if it wasn't a goal, but can afford it.

From the last update I believe it was 150k in outside funds. Even if don't reach the line for 12, I hope that if they get half way or close we can still get 10 or 11

Eegah

Well, for all those people that were waiting until the end to back, now is a good a time as any. For $85 you'll get at least 12 episodes (6 classic, 6 new), and likely more if the Kickstarter hits certain milestones in time. That's a pretty good value.

opoth

Banned
Yeah not a chance. Still need $600,000 just for 9 episodes.

Not to split hairs, but according to Joel's latest update, there's at least $150,000 that has been raised in add-on rewards not showing in the total, so the real total is more like $4 million, which means 400k away from 9 episodes.

lednerg

I wonder if they'd be able to announce some movie titles already. That could help, especially if there was a Neil Breen film in the mix.

I wonder if they'd be able to announce some movie titles already. That could help, especially if there was a Neil Breen film in the mix.

That'd be nice. This thing kind of started with a whimper I guess with the goal being to slowly introduce more information over time to encourage sustained backers?

The Double Down and Fateful Findings trailers made their way around my office a lot, and I still couldn't tell you what Fateful Findings is about. I'd love to see riffs of either.

Darren870

I'll probably get in on that 80+ episodes to download for $150. I wouldn't mind replacing some of my old downloads that are in poor condition.

Thats about all im pledging to this though, already in the $100, which I might actually downgrade to $85 now since I don't want any memorabilia. I'm a digital man.

Not to split hairs, but according to Joel's latest update, there's at least $150,000 that has been raised in add-on rewards not showing in the total, so the real total is more like $4 million, which means 400k away from 9 episodes.

And they are still going to make more off kickstarter funding still to so that number is surely going to grow.

Eegah

I'll probably get in on that 80+ episodes to download for $150. I wouldn't mind replacing some of my old downloads that are in poor condition.

I could be wrong, but I think the $150 was the Black Friday sale price. Now it is $200. In my eyes that's still a good deal for 87 episodes.

Darren870

I could be wrong, but I think the $150 was the Black Friday sale price. Now it is $200. In my eyes that's still a good deal for 87 episodes.

Yea just checked, it is $200 now.

Before they started releasing them on DVD I made up covers and descriptions of every single episode and put each of my "copies" into its own case. A lot of the quality was piss poor as it was VHS rips. Was really proud of the cover art I created though!

Sadly its sitting all in my moms basement since I moved overseas and couldn't take 200 cases with me. I'm hoping the condition is still good and hasn't gotten warped or decayed over time. I'd like to get them back though and update them with the best quality available. For that its a steal at $200.

mclem

New update:

Add-on total now at $225k.
Grand total at $4.05M (As of the update, I make it $4.07M now)
"The Songs of MST3k" now included for $35+ backers
Choice of T-shirt design hadn't been achieved when the update was written, but if my maths is right has now.
Also, additional Q&A stuff. In particular, some interesting technical stuff about HD, aspect ratios... and cinema seats. They don't want to name films they're going to cover, but they have spoken about the types they're going for.

After careful consideration, I determined that Experiment 050 was a rather poor value for the money, so I changed my pledge to Experiment 085.

I really hope it gets to $4.4mm. I don't see how it won't, but part of me is a little worried.

mclem

4.4 is a lock.

5.5 will need a miracle.

On paper, at least, we're not quite in the final spike area (that's usually 'last three days', and that's over 24 hours away - note that unless they've changed things, Kickstarter rounds the timer down, and I'm thinking we'll see around $1M then. That said, that's based on projects that haven't done so well at pushing mini-spikes as well as this one has, so it's possible that they've served to encourage people to donate earlier to this than they would have previously done.

I predicted nine episodes way back when, back when we were working in terms of single discrete groups of three episodes. If they explicitly break that goal down into per-episode chunks, I reckon we'll see eleven (so a total of around $5.1M). I also should mention that we're well past the stage of hard-and-fast numbers, now, so I think it's quite concievable that we'll get close enough to twelve that they'll just cut back a little elsewhere to make the full set.

gabbo

New update:

Add-on total now at $225k.
Grand total at $4.05M (As of the update, I make it $4.07M now)
"The Songs of MST3k" now included for $35+ backers
Choice of T-shirt design hadn't been achieved when the update was written, but if my maths is right has now.
Also, additional Q&A stuff. In particular, some interesting technical stuff about HD, aspect ratios... and cinema seats. They don't want to name films they're going to cover, but they have spoken about the types they're going for.

Was kinda hoping he'd name one, but i get where he's coming from

Pledges are going to speed up as we get nearer to $5.5, not slow down, the question is if time will run out first. We're almost at $4.1 million (presuming that $225,000 is still $225,000). $4.4 by midday tomorrow is going to be a stretch, but it's not out of the question.

Then it's game on.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Yeah, what's going to be painful to watch is just how close we actually get to the 5.5 million mark.

People like winners on Kickstarter, so the closer it looks to reaching these milestones the more people it will attract.

Its going to breeze past 4.4, and likely pass 5 million as well. In the end though I think it might end up with 5.3 million.

Which should get us to 11 episodes.

I've read that Joel has regained control of the series, and I've also read that Shout Factory has acquired it. What's the full story? Perhaps Shout took over Mallon's share of BBI, and possibly Kevin and Trace's? Or have they purchased the whole hamdinger and just hired Joel as the frontman for this campaign?

Sanjuro

I've read that Joel has regained control of the series, and I've also read that Shout Factory has acquired it. What's the full story? Perhaps Shout took over Mallon's share of BBI, and possibly Kevin and Trace's? Or have they purchased the whole hamdinger and just hired Joel as the frontman for this campaign?

Shout's money, Joel's face.

opoth

Banned
5.3 mil would be 9 episodes.

I'm sure that once we get into the "red zone" that Joel described, the goals are going to become more granular, otherwise people are going to become demotivated about the final goal being reachable.

I'm sure if we manage to hit 5.2, that will be enough to get 11. That being said, my money is still on 10 episodes but I'd love for it to be 11 or 12. Whatever it is, I hope its enough for Netflix or Hulu to bite on future episodes/seasons - hitting a crowdfunding goal for a double digit number of episodes should be a very healthy sign of interest.

kgf_zpsfepyxipa.jpg

mclem

5.3 mil would be 9 episodes.

I'm sure that once we get into the "red zone" that Joel described, the goals are going to become more granular, otherwise people are going to become demotivated about the final goal being reachable.

I'm sure if we manage to hit 5.2, that will be enough to get 11. That being said, my money is still on 10 episodes but I'd love for it to be 11 or 12. Whatever it is, I hope its enough for Netflix or Hulu to bite on future episodes/seasons - hitting a crowdfunding goal for a double digit number of episodes should be a very healthy sign of interest.

That was explicitly stated in one of the early Q&As, I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Can't. I don't *think* I imagined it!

Tobor

The "red zone" is for Cuba and un-Cuba only.

border

How can they stream 2 episodes at 6PM, and then start the telethon at 8PM? Isn't each episode nearly 90 minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom