• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow:

ft_zpsowkkyba8.jpg

This is likely one of those situations where it might not be possible to make everybody happy. A lot of the founding cast should have been compensated back in the day, and there just might be too much bad blood and hurt feelings because of that. Ultimately, even if they don't participate, I hope the reboot will still help support the original cast in whatever they are up to, even if it's just mentioning upcoming RiffTrack events.

Blader

I wonder if Trace and Frank feel slighted at all by the MST3K partnership with Rifftrax? Lack of compensation has been a driving wedge between the cast and the show itself for basically its entire existence, and now the Rifftrax guys have an opportunity to finally get some of the money they feel owed to.

Whereas Trace and Frank don't have that kind of "buy MST3K from us!" outlet, and their other main riffing project (CT) is dead and buried.

thefro

They're basically at 4.25 million right now with the add-ons money ($255k).

I think they'll end up 200-300k short for 12 episodes and they'll make up the rest with Paypal/more "add-ons" sales.

B.K.

I wonder if Trace and Frank feel slighted at all by the MST3K partnership with Rifftrax? Lack of compensation has been a driving wedge between the cast and the show itself for basically its entire existence, and now the Rifftrax guys have an opportunity to finally get some of the money they feel owed to.

Whereas Trace and Frank don't have that kind of "buy MST3K from us!" outlet, and their other main riffing project (CT) is dead and buried.

Frank and Trace get money from the episodes sold at the Rifftrax site, too. Shout Factory is paying basically everyone involved in the show royalties from money made by those episodes, according to a Rifftrax email.

P.S.: A significant share of the profits of all MST3k episodes sold on RiffTrax.com will be paid out directly to ALL principal cast members of MST – Mike, Joel, Kevin, Bill, Mary Jo, Trace, Frank, Josh and Bridget. We feel it’s important that the original artists benefit directly from their awesome work. So if you want to support them, buy your MST here on RiffTrax!

Sanjuro

This kind of thing may discourage people from donating.

I think he's being an asshole unless Joel straight up lied to him and the rest of the cast.

I mean, Frank IS an asshole. Just one I more often than not agree with.

Ideally he would embrace getting the train on the rails before planning his stagecoach robbery.

If they can hit 4.4 million by tomorrow, I think its possible they can make up the 1 million in the final 48 hours.

And if they don't? I thinkt h ey will keep the add on store open and keep it open till they hit the final goal.

Sliver

Really don't think the recent updates have been exciting/enticing enough to be honest. We haven't seen the full cast together on camera, or anything besides Joel's face being riffed. If they're planning on unveiling more exciting stuff it needs to happen sooner rather than later. Still very excited to see that 9 episodes is pretty much a guarantee, too awesome.

If they can hit 4.4 million by tomorrow, I think its possible they can make up the 1 million in the final 48 hours.

And if they don't? I thinkt h ey will keep the add on store open and keep it open till they hit the final goal.

Yeah, hopefully they do that. It's fairly common for Kickstarters that hit their goal but still want to reach stretch goals and still want to make the rewards available for anyone who missed out and damnit I want a 'full' season 11. Sure, 9 episodes wouldn't make it the shortest season (which is season 7, however you want to count things), but 12 is close enough to the 13 episodes that's pretty standard for a TV series now, and is in line with season 9 and 10.

Either way. At least nine new episodes of MST3K is awesome news. Hopefully this is just the third beginning for the show, and not the third 'last season'.

I said it before, I'll say it again: I cannot wait for the entire MST3K chronicle that comes out in ten years. All the behind the scenes stuff, why people are or aren't involved in things, etc. Not just from 1988 - 1997, but how certain groups stayed together, Rifftrax formed, Cinematic Titanic formed then dissolved, and how MST was rebooted and why people were angry.

Someone needs to put that together before someone dies. I want oral histories, options, everything.

It would be glorious.

mclem

One common mistake when looking at Kickstarter timers is to not realise that the timers always round down. When it says 'two days to go', that actually means there's between 48 and 72 hours remaining. There's often an extra day people aren't seeing!

I think that's the case for you, here; by tomorrow is actually *three* days from the end of the Kickstarter, not two.

We are closing in on 4.4 million *fast*. It's going to be an exciting end to the campaign. I'm keeping Friday evening clear to watch the countdown stream. We've either just passed 4.3 total or we're about to any minute.

TedHub

Banned
I like the way Rifftrax and MST3K seem joined at the hip now

it makes me think Mike and Kevin and Bill will at least appear in cameos once or twice

Yeah, I definitely appreciate that, too!

If the show keeps getting picked up for as long as Joel wants it to, I get the feeling everyone's gonna get a cameo or two. That's what excites me.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Frank and Trace get money from the episodes sold at the Rifftrax site, too. Shout Factory is paying basically everyone involved in the show royalties from money made by those episodes, according to a Rifftrax email.

And yet Paul, who had just as much if not more screentime than Bridget, gets left out? Poor Paul. :lol

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Joel giving a shout out to Trace and Frank's show.

I'm basically totally on Joel's side about this. Until Trace or Frank give some specifics, I am sadly just going to assume they're bitter that Joel is rebooting the show without them.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Catalina Caper... a good choice. This is one of the last Beach party movies made and it pretty much put one of the last nails in the coffin for that short lived subgenre.

jblank83

Joel has always seemed like a nice, inclusive person. During MST3k that was part of the overriding concern in the writing of episodes: anyone could object to a joke and have it removed from the script. Part of Cinematic Titanic was getting everyone back together and making money for all involved.

I find it hard to believe he's purposely shafting Trace and Frank.

I could've sworn Joel said on Kickstarter that the episodes he'd stream leading up to Friday would be one each from his time and Mike's. They just did Batwoman and now Catalina Caper. The fuck, Joel?

Edit: Nevermind. I'm a dipshit.

Krejlooc

Banned
being mad that they moved on from trace and frank seems odd to me, when both of them left the show of their own accord. MST3K really was Joel's idea, it should be his to reboot. But, unlike Mike and Kevin, Trace and Frank left the show for years.

I would love everyone to be involved - I liked CT way better than Rifftrax because it felt like it was written by an ensemble cast of writers. But really Mike and Kevin have much more of a reason to be bitter, and yet they're not.

Tobor

I could've sworn Joel said on Kickstarter that the episodes he'd stream leading up to Friday would be one each from his time and Mike's. They just did Batwoman and now Catalina Caper. The fuck, Joel?

Uhhhh, yeah? Batwoman is Mike. Catalina Caper is Joel.

jblank83

Batwoman is a Mike episode
Catalina Caper is a Joel episode

TedHub

Banned

??? Batwoman is a Mike ep, and Catalina Caper is a Joel one.

Edit: Beaten several times over

being mad that they moved on from trace and frank seems odd to me, when both of them left the show of their own accord. MST3K really was Joel's idea, it should be his to reboot. But, unlike Mike and Kevin, Trace and Frank left the show for years.

I would love everyone to be involved - I liked CT way better than Rifftrax because it felt like it was written by an ensemble cast of writers. But really Mike and Kevin have much more of a reason to be bitter, and yet they're not.
Mike and Kevin also have their own lucrative riffing business right now, so they've got less reason to be bitter.

Krejlooc

Banned
Mike and Kevin also have their own lucrative riffing business right now, so they've got less reason to be bitter.

hearing them talk about it's, it's not lucrative, just a business. It pays the bills.

Trace and Frank have their own projects too. It's not like either is out of a job.

jblank83

Joel giving a shout out to Trace and Frank's show.

I'm basically totally on Joel's side about this. Until Trace or Frank give some specifics, I am sadly just going to assume they're bitter that Joel is rebooting the show without them.

Not even without them, given the offers and stated intent of having everyone on board. More specifically I'd assume one or both want major on screen roles or major writing duties.

SeanC

For some reason, I associated that movie (Batwoman) with Joel. My apologies.

Easy mistake. Some of those earlier Mike episodes still feel like Joel material to me sometimes.

I haven't seen Batwoman in a long time. It's one of those movies that is almost too painful to watch even with the riffing. Almost...

hearing them talk about it's, it's not lucrative, just a business. It pays the bills.

Trace and Frank have their own projects too. It's not like either is out of a job.
In my world, paying the bills and getting to riff on movies for three plus people is pretty damn lucrative. They aren't millionaires or anything but I doubt they are just scraping by or working two jobs.

Sanjuro

I don't see how Trace or Frank can get more than a lick of salt. Both left the franchise willingly, and milked it for every penny outside.

Joel did the same, but he is the creator.

Trace and Frank toured with Joel for so long I can only imagine they expected to be on the same level. Which is fine....but not realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom