• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a section of the update about the staff writers:

I wish people were more interested in getting information than they were in complaining

Being "too Hollywood" or "too hipster/nerd love" and having a diverse staff aren't mutually exclusive.

They can have a bookstore worker on staff. Doesn't undo Jonah Heston and Dan Harmon.

But it's an opinion. Just because it's different from yours doesn't make it "complaining."

Edit: And again, I'm not saying I hate it. It's a concern. I'm in for $36 plus the patches. I've just got some reservations.

SeanC

IMHO, that sums up the whole reboot. Too much internet nerd pandering and Hollywood.

Except the people going into this writing process are already huge MST3k fans. If it were some suit at a network looking to reboot it and just pulling whoever they can for "hits" then I would agree, but Joel is curating this and everyone (especially Jonah and Patton) are massive fans of the series already. It influenced their entire comedy careers so they have an appreciation and understanding - essentially saying "what would I want in a new MST3k" the same way we all are. They're not going to cheapen it and I don't think anyone else coming on board would do that either for sheer love and respect of the original show.

I'm actually kinda bummed about that writers list. Too Hollywood. Not enough "people who are just pals shitting on bad movies."

Which is kind of the point of releasing those guest writers now that are Hollywood. Help drive the funding needle. Most of the leg work will be done by the pals.

Danchi

Has anyone who chose the $200 tier gone with the "mystery gift" instead of the Blu-ray/DVD set? I'm curious what it could be...

$751 option just to get to meet Felica Day, but they won't even pay for my travel and accommodation :(. I find it funny that not even the 25K+ option has that included, come on!

mclem

Well, I think I'm done pledging, I've just added a chunk of add-ons. That might make this the Kickstarter I've thrown the most money at, but I'm not sure.

Mildly surprised that the list of downloadable episodes up for grabs doesn't seem it include Catalina Caper, I was assuming the supply that were being used for the marathon were all ones Shout had available. I don't feel particularly aggrieved given that that happens to be one I have on DVD, but it's still a surprise!

daveo42

Banned
I haven't even looked at the add-on site till now. I really want to pick up a hoodie, but not know the design gives me some pause. Mug or just straight up episodes seems to be a pretty solid choice.

Has anyone who chose the $200 tier gone with the "mystery gift" instead of the Blu-ray/DVD set? I'm curious what it could be...

As for that $200 mystery reward, I think I'll stick with the box set instead of the playing "What's in the Box?" game. Even if it is cool, I think I'll be happy with what we get out of the CE set.

mclem

I haven't even looked at the add-on site till now. I really want to pick up a hoodie, but not know the design gives me some pause. Mug or just straight up episodes seems to be a pretty solid choice.

The Black Friday deal they had for the big episode bundle was phenomenal. Even the current price is very nice.

At some point I need to look at Rifftrax and figure out what shorts I don't already have.

border

$751 option just to get to meet Felica Day, but they won't even pay for my travel and accommodation :(. I find it funny that not even the 25K+ option has that included, come on!

I've met her. She actually looks kinda sickly in person, it's a little disconcerting.

Plane ticket + 2 nights hotel stay is worth more than $750.....I wouldn't expect them to cover travel expenses on such a small backer tier.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
In for 85. It just seemed like the cool thing to do. MST3K with Joel was a big part of my childhood, along with Ben Stiller Show (which sadly I would not be excited for a reboot of).

Just upped my pledge from $100 to $200. Figure that adds in the neat poster, and I get the Blu Ray set with the documentary on it. Really, its the documentary that I'm interested in most.

Plus... damnit... I want 12 episodes!

Everyone post on Facebook/Twitter/whatever about the campaign! I actually saw two people I had no idea were fans show that they donated after I posted the link. Let's get all 12!

In for 85. It just seemed like the cool thing to do. MST3K with Joel was a big part of my childhood, along with Ben Stiller Show (which sadly I would not be excited for a reboot of).

$85 seems to be the sweet spot in terms of value for money now that you're getting at least 9 new episodes and 11 classic episodes. It was a much harder sell when we were looking at 3 episodes, but that tier has increased in value the most.

I'm in for the signed poster, but $85 is what I'm encouraging other people to go for. I was just at the mall and the 4 episode box sets started at $40 for an older one, and went up to $55 for a newer one, so $85 for 20+ episodes digitally a really good value presuming you don't already have most of the old episodes.

Ithil

Definitely, only a few Kickstarters have matched it (Pillars of Eternity, Torment). One thing they all have in common was the use of social media to help reach goals, enticing stretch goals that helped push the bar, great use of visuals/updates to engage with supporters. Cool add ons as well.

Bloodstained was a fantastically run Kickstarter. Even though it had the hype of the biggest name for Castlevania doing a Castlevania-esque game, the actual Kickstarter created a whole fanbase for a new IP from how well it was run and encouraged a community.

It paid off with a huge total way above what people were expecting.

Still waiting to drop my money.. I just like to wait till the end so I can feel like I'm part of the big push finale.

Low on funds and would love to splurge on the bluray tier, but will probably go 85 so I can eat next week.

It'll definitely hit 5.5. I can feel it. We're going to get the full 12, baby!

Still waiting to drop my money.. I just like to wait till the end so I can feel like I'm part of the big push finale.

Low on funds and would love to splurge on the bluray tier, but will probably go 85 so I can eat next week.

It'll definitely hit 5.5. I can feel it. We're going to get the full 12, baby!

I hope so. I'm sure a lot of people are waiting until we're near to 5.5 to know they're getting more for their money, which makes a lot of sense given how the stretch goals have worked out.

Anyone dropping anything on this though, I am hugely thankful for. I dropped my money within hours of this being a thing and pledged as much as I could afford, so all I've been able to do since then is help spread the word. I don't think I've convinced many people to chip in, but I know at least a couple of people wouldn't have heard about it with me that put in.

I will be tuning in for every moment of the final stream, whether 5.5 looks plausible or not. I hope to get up tomorrow and see something around 4.8 total. Things are going to snowball once it passes 5. I really feel that it's going to be tight... my fingers are tightly crossed that season 11 will be basically as long as seasons 9 and 10.

Orca

I'm at $124 - not sure why it's that, probably because I'm Canadian. I'd love to push it to $200 but just can't afford it.

Okay, after the past 2 days, this is starting to look more possible.

If Wednesday nets $157,438, then the last 2 days need to raise 77.24% of the first 2 days ($379,394 and $620,404) in order to reach $5.5m. This counts $255k in add-ons thus far, but not further add-ons. If these numbers play out, I would expect $4.4m to be hit Wednesday morning.

Today's total was $186,609. The final 2 days now need to raise 70.7% of the first 2 days ($347,456 and $568,179) in order to reach $5.5m. The average per hour for the 50 remaining hours must be greater than or equal to $18,313.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
looking better and better each day. Thankfully as is we are already getting more episodes than we got in season 7.

Sliver

W5L9Z5F.png

du3yjQ7.png

K9jN5u9.jpg

AtUO2z1.jpg

Pretty damn cool. This plus the new actors, writers, and other stuff that will be announced in upcoming updates is making me really excited for the next couple days, in spite of all my finals.

mclem

The two updates included numbers 310k and 330k.

Looking at the average needed per hour overnight holding in the $18k range, hitting $5.5m is looking very positive.

mst3k_countdown.png

I assume it'll swing a bit the wrong way overnight in the US, the fanbase isn't quite as expansive here in Europe! Still, we'lll probably get a better benchmark when we hit, say, the 36 hour mark.

I said I was done pledging, but I might - might - consider the coffee table book.

daveo42

Banned
A little over 0.8 million to go... it *feels* doable but it isn't a lock. This is exciting.

Oh god we are gonna cut this close aren't we?

Edit: Looking at needing about $21k an hour for the next 40~ hours to take it over the top.

Edit 2: Oooo...picking up that art book. That update this morning was fantastic.

mclem

Oh god we are gonna cut this close aren't we?

Edit: Looking at needing about $21k an hour for the next 40~ hours to take it over the top.

As I mentioned above, I wouldn't read too much into the fact that the required funding rate is increasing at the moment, the US is only just waking up and the nature of this project is that that's likely to be the largest source of funding; on any day you can probably expect these few hours to be pretty slow-going.

It looks like it's largely peaking around the nightly double features - no real surprise there - so tonight's might give us a more interesting benchmark. And, for that matter, all bets are off as far as tomorrow night's is concerned.

Tobor

The line-up of people involved with this is insane.

I'm not sure, but it kinda seems like too many people at this point. I get that most are guest contributors, but that's a huge list.

How do you take all these contributions and make a cohesive product? Hopefully Joel can navigate his way through.

Blader

Just put in for $85.

I don't totally understand the Add-on Rewards section -- is that something I was supposed to choose now, or does that option come after the funding is over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom