• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joel said in one of the last updates that he'd made offers to everyone but they all turned it down, for now at least.

I'm guessing the final push (or least part of it) will be the lost KTMA episodes.

Most, not all. See Paul Chaplin, maybe others?

Joel Hodgson said:
So, like I said, we've now made offers to all of MST's original writers. While it seems like most of them won't be available to join us, at least for now, I still hope they’ll decide to join us later. We'll always be glad to have them back, even if it's just for an episode or two when they can spare some time.

kulapik

So, apparently there's one last batch of announcements tomorrow. Now, I don't want to put two and two together and make five, buuut... I must admit, I'm itching for it a little. Old cast would be a logical choice to make as the last big announcement to build enthusiasm for a final push.

In the previous update (not the latest one, the one before) he said he'd announce cameos today. Maybe there's some KTMA stuff too, but just saying

Frenden

Banned
tumblr_nz5hakDuQg1qz6c60o1_1280.png

Pumped that I can start showing some of the concepts I've made for MST3K over the last two years to fellow GAFers. We're so close to the 12 episode goal, too.

Thought you guys might like to see one proposed direction for Bobo (were he turned into a puppet instead of a live actor).

Yay!

http://41.media.tumblr.com/eaac462bf57272351ffaf501b0ea20e8/tumblr_nz5hakDuQg1qz6c60o1_1280.png

Pumped that I can start showing some of the concepts I've made for MST3K over the last two years to fellow GAFers. We're so close to the 12 episode goal, too.

Thought you guys might like to see one proposed direction for Bobo (were he turned into a puppet instead of a live actor).

Yay!

AWESOME! Thanks for sharing!

Now get Joel on GAF. ;)

mclem

Yay!

As it happens, that's in the latest update. I mentioned it a little earlier, but I rather liked it. Reminded me a little of Krang!

Tom_Cody

Yay!
Oh my god that would be amazing. I can just picture the puppet face in action.

Yay!

Congrats on the MST gig! Super-jealous here. Everyone's anxious to see what you come up with.

Owensboro

http://41.media.tumblr.com/eaac462bf57272351ffaf501b0ea20e8/tumblr_nz5hakDuQg1qz6c60o1_1280.png

Yay!

Hah, that's great. Would have loved to see it in the show!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Typical Hollywood, recasting a character as a puppet in an exosuit.

Just sell the rights back to Marvel already.

SeanC

Yay!

As already have been said, totally awesome. And thank you for doing it.

I was waiting for some of those new add ons announced and an MST3k Coffee Table book sounds really, really enticing. I don't have the money for a signed. Well, I do...but man 300+ is kind of pushing it.

The community has been amazing, I think it's going to meet its goal. Growing up, I thought I was the only one that even knew about the show. I was too far removed from most people who would get it, I guess. It was the 90s, a lot of people were drinking Surge and trying to be totally radical and didn't care for late-night Comedy Central riffing shows. But seeing stuff like this over the years thanks to the internet is just awesome.

Growing up, I thought I was the only one that even knew about the show. I was too far removed from most people who would get it, I guess. It was the 90s, a lot of people were drinking Surge and trying to be totally radical and didn't care for late-night Comedy Central riffing shows. But seeing stuff like this over the years thanks to the internet is just awesome.

It wasn't until I got to college and watched Pod People with about 30 guys in a tiny dorm room that I realized I wasn't alone. :)

As already have been said, totally awesome. And thank you for doing it.

I was waiting for some of those new add ons announced and an MST3k Coffee Table book sounds really, really enticing. I don't have the money for a signed. Well, I do...but man 300+ is kind of pushing it.

The community has been amazing, I think it's going to meet its goal. Growing up, I thought I was the only one that even knew about the show. I was too far removed from most people who would get it, I guess. It was the 90s, a lot of people were drinking Surge and trying to be totally radical and didn't care for late-night Comedy Central riffing shows. But seeing stuff like this over the years thanks to the internet is just awesome.

I got into it around season 8 in the UK. We never had the comedy central seasons... so for me watching it at midnights on a Saturday on the UK sci fi, then trying to chase down new episodes as they shifted it all around the schedules... it's pretty much what it was like for people when it started airing originally in the UK.

This fandom have always worked together to spread the word of the show and help out, I'm really proud to see that happening again... and to think about a new generation doing the same thing with an online show that'll need fan based word of mouth to find it's viewers.

I got into it around season 8 in the UK. We never had the comedy central seasons

I became a fan right when it got cancelled on Comedy Central. First episode I ever saw was The Brute Man.

The first episode I ever bought, randomly, was The Brain That Wouldn't Die, Mike's First.

The SECOND episode I bought, again randomly, was Mitchell.

It was a confusing time for me.

Just hit 4.4 on the site. if you include the 330k they are at the very minimum what 770k away, but likely maybe even 750 or 725k (since the 330k was based on last night's update)

mclem

I got into it around season 8 in the UK. We never had the comedy central seasons... so for me watching it at midnights on a Saturday on the UK sci fi, then trying to chase down new episodes as they shifted it all around the schedules... it's pretty much what it was like for people when it started airing originally in the UK.

I'm also a UK fan, although I first encountered it during trips to the US before it crept onto ultra-late-night SciFi Channel. While I saw it a lot while channel-hopping on holiday, I didn't actually settle down to properly watch it until one showing of Daddy-O. That's when I fell in love.

Frenden

Banned
I'm so glad you guys liked the art that's been shown so far. I have a sort of He-Man, Jack Kirby, Conan, and Barbarella goal with all the tech and costumes.

Growing up and watching the subversive nature of MST3K (it and Kids in the Hall were my favorites), I felt like those shows were just for me too. No one I knew was into them then. It's only as an adult that I see that pool, when cherry picked across the globe, is really, really large.

daveo42

Banned
It wasn't until I got to college and watched Pod People with about 30 guys in a tiny dorm room that I realized I wasn't alone. :)

Same here. Watched it when I could growing up and didn't know anyone else who knew about the show. My parents thought I was weird. Comedy Central in the 90s was a blessing. Didn't meet any other fans until college. That group watch of the original MST3K version of Manos was absolute brutal.

Uhh BOOM

So, here are a few performers who are interested in appearing on MST3K next season:

JACK BLACK, the brilliant comic actor and musician, star of everything from the Kung Fu Panda films to the wonderful School of Rock… though to some people, of course, he's better known as one-half of Tenacious D. So, I don't wanna tell you anything about what I'm planning for his character… but I think it would be a lot of fun to have him perform a song.

JOEL MCHALE, who I first knew as the hilariously dry host of The Soup, and who has been expanding his acting career into television (as the star of Community) and film (the Ted movies). I met Joel at a friend's wedding last year, and we became fast friends. He's a really nice guy, so even though he's in demand for big-time revivals like The X-Files, he says he's up for joining us too!

BILL HADER, the incredible changeling/actor/impressionist who has appeared in everything from SNL to Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs to Trainwreck. I’ve always been amazed by Bill's talents, and was finally introduced to him backstage at SNL by a mutual friend.

NEIL PATRICK HARRIS is a true renaissance man whose career spans film, TV, the broadway stage and the internet, where he appeared opposite our own Felicia Day in Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. Funny enough, though, I actually met Neil through mutual friends at the Los Angeles Magic History Conference, where we geeked out on magic together. Also, I'm honored to point out that Neil has always been a MSTie. In fact, he was included in first MST documentary – This is MST3K – all the way back in his Doogie Howser days!

JERRY SEINFELD, my long time friend, and of course, one of our most brilliant stand-up comedians. Jerry was also the co-creator of Seinfeld, and the creator and host of my favorite concept for a talk show, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. You know, I’ve known this guy for over thirty years. I actually remember him from when he only had one car.

& MARK HAMILL.

5.5 million confirmed!

Same here. Watched it when I could growing up and didn't know anyone else who knew about the show. My parents thought I was weird. Comedy Central in the 90s was a blessing. Didn't meet any other fans until college. That group watch of the original MST3K version of Manos was absolute brutal.

My dad and brothers liked it, but I couldn't get my friends into it outside of a few shorts.

daveo42

Banned
Man...after that announcement alone I feel like they could blow $5.5mil out of the water. Like

1430896850507.jpg

We need a Tom Servo/Crow version of this stat.

Important part I left out of the cameo announcement:

Joel said:
Now, those are just some of the amazing and talented performers who have offered to stop into the show. But you know, as much as I love all of these guys, let's face it: it's a little bit male-centric.

I've gotta tell you: that wasn't intentional. I guess I just have a harder time meeting women these days? But listen, if any female celebrities are reading this, and happen to be fans of MST3K, please let me know! And if your names happen to be Tina Fey, Lily Tomlin or Amy (Poehler and Schumer) – a few of my current comedy heroes – call me! We're bringing back MST3K and would love for you to do a cameo!

Krejlooc

Banned
Mst3k is the only show I know of that absolutely everyone in my family likes. My brother my sister my mother my father and I all love this show independently. It's been funny over the years finding out that each of us like the show whenever we would see it on TV and mention that it was funnier that we liked it. It's the only TV show we can all agree upon watching.

You know, when Joel was saying the cameos were pretty male centric, I also noticed they were pretty lacking in people of color as well. I hope they get some more on the show, especially in front of the camera (Baron Vaughn as a voice is great, but we need him as a character too! Like, maybe a guest villain or something.)

I wonder if Aisha Tyler is a big MST3K fan. She'd take care of both in one fell swoop.

SeanC

You know, when Joel was saying the cameos were pretty male centric, I also noticed they were pretty lacking in people of color as well. I hope they get some more on the show, especially in front of the camera (Baron Vaughn as a voice is great, but we need him as a character too! Like, maybe a guest villain or something.)

I wonder if Aisha Tyler is a big MST3K fan. She'd take care of both in one fell swoop.

Good call. Hannibal Buress would be great. I could see his style fitting really nicely. Hell, get the whole cast of Broad City on there and do a crossover.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm so glad you guys liked the art that's been shown so far. I have a sort of He-Man, Jack Kirby, Conan, and Barbarella goal with all the tech and costumes.

Growing up and watching the subversive nature of MST3K (it and Kids in the Hall were my favorites), I felt like those shows were just for me too. No one I knew was into them then. It's only as an adult that I see that pool, when cherry picked across the globe, is really, really large.
Dude I loved kids in the hall

daveo42

Banned

I'd be surprised if she isn't. Adding a bit of diversity to the cast and crew would also be welcome. Not sure how much of a barrier that is now only because it seems Joel has been reaching out to people who he personally knows, through other connections, or people who have expressed interest in appearing in a reboot of MST3K. I could see a more diverse cast coming out of this if these 12 episodes get picked up to either air on TV or through some streaming service.

gabbo

Can we get a Jon Benjamin/Aisha Tyler cameo episode?

Get Kumil Ninjiani. he is friends with Dan harmon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom