• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh....

gFhaM8X.png

Good good....

opoth

Banned
I'm seriously still freaking out about that list of writers

jesus this new version of MST3K is going to be so good

Yeah, it's great. Given that most of the list of writers are guest writers who will work on an episode or two each tops, it doesn't seem like too many cooks in the kitchen by any means. I'm sure they'll be able to find a consistent voice amongst the staff writers while the guests throw something unique into the mix each time.

HylianTom

Banned
Same here.

Th excitment is contagious. The promise of new songs, the encouraging writers.. even them playing one of my favorite episodes last night (Gypsy's "Are You Happy" song! Yes! ❤️❤️❤️) - they're pushing my buttons. That, and Joel is one of the very few entertainment persons on this planet whom I trust. I havent been to a movie in years, can't tell you the difference between most pop stars, don't have cable.. but this here is still right up my alley, and worth the splurge.

(I might have to actually start paying some attention to pop culture if I want to catch more jokes though. I hope they still make occasional reference to classic old movies. "Don't talk about our son, Martha..")

Krejlooc

Banned
Yeah, it's great. Given that most of the list of writers are guest writers who will work on an episode or two each tops, it doesn't seem like too many cooks in the kitchen by any means. I'm sure they'll be able to find a consistent voice amongst the staff writers while the guests throw something unique into the mix each time.

Is it weird that I'm most excited about the creative team behind rick and morty and dana gould coming to guest write? Huge fan of both Rick and Morty and Dana Gould.

It just won't be MST3K.

yes it will

opoth

Banned
It just won't be MST3K. It'll be Joel's Hollywood pals making jokes. I think I finally get where Trace and Frank are coming from after this latest update.

I'm out.

Yeah, I can't believe Paul Haggis, JJ Abrams and David O Russell are going to be involved with the writing on this show. I'm sure it will be inside baseball all day long. What's next, a Tom Cruise cameo?

Good grief.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It just won't be MST3K. It'll be Joel's Hollywood pals making jokes. I think I finally get where Trace and Frank are coming from after this latest update.

I'm out.

You do realize that "Joel's Hollywood pals" are guest writers working on one or two episodes each, right? And the rest of the normal writing room will still be there? They're contributors.

Krejlooc

Banned
You do realize that "Joel's Hollywood pals" are guest writers working on one or two episodes each, right? And the rest of the normal writing room will still be there? They're contributors.

But it just won't be MST3K without frank and trace!

Just like seasons 7-10 weren't MST3K.

I'm out.

Those are guest contributors.

Here are the main writers:

Joel said:
Now, unlike most shows, most of our regular MST3K writers aren’t going to be professional television writers. But remember: none of our original writers had a lot of "pro" experience, except maybe in Minneapolis... and look how that worked out!

So, our next staff writers are mostly people I’ve met in my travels, who I thought were funny and who have a knack for movie riffing. They come from all walks of life:

One is a teacher at a Montessori school,
One works in a bookstore,
One does graphics for a college,
One is in advertising,
One writes for a women’s online magazine,
One has a local public radio show,
One does IT for a design firm…

Folksy enough for you?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I never thought I'd see the day when getting the people behind Rick and Morty to help write some new MST3K episodes would be spun as a bad thing.

Yet here we fucking are.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
But it just won't be MST3K without frank and trace!

Just like seasons 7-10 weren't MST3K.

Seriously. I could go through and compile a list of writers who worked on classic MST3K that 90% of people wouldn't be able to identify as someone who worked on the show. The writing room wasn't just the MST crew we know. There were plenty of others over the years (hell, if Trace hadn't left the show, Bill would have been one of those others). And those writers had just as much, if not more, influence on MST3K as Joel's "Hollywood pals" will.

The only difference is that Joel's pals are already well known for certain things. Does that make them bad for some reason?

I'm happy to be completely clueless about whatever nerd circles that Jonah and Felicia Day roll in.

Indeed. I knew who Felicia Day was but haven't really seen her in anything. Never even heard of Jonah before the intro videos (at least, not to my knowledge).

I'm perfectly fine with both.

Krejlooc

Banned
Those are guest contributors.

Here are the main writers:

Folksy enough for you?

I love their spread. What was awesome about the old MST3K is how, no matter what your interest were, there is bound to be a "nerdy" joke that only someone like you would get. I was constantly impressed by the way MST3K could transition from joking about hardcore nerd PC games one moment, then mock baseball another, then go into film history moments later.

These writers will ensure they can hit many different areas.

EDIT: In fact, that is precisely why MST3K is such a rewatchable show. It's pretty much impossible to get every joke in one sitting. You need to be very well read across a ton of subjects to get every joke in MST3K. It's made rewatching the show constantly hilarious, because every time I watch it, there's a new joke I get.

I love their spread. What was awesome about the old MST3K is how, no matter what your interest were, there is bound to be a "nerdy" joke that only someone like you would get. I was constantly impressed by the way MST3K could transition from joking about hardcore nerd PC games one moment, then mock baseball another, then go into film history moments later.

These writers will ensure they can hit many different areas.

EDIT: In fact, that is precisely why MST3K is such a rewatchable show. It's pretty much impossible to get every joke in one sitting. You need to be very well read across a ton of subjects to get every joke in MST3K. It's made rewatching the show constantly hilarious, because every time I watch it, there's a new joke I get.

This is a great point.
Getting back into MST3K after many years and rewatching even some of my favorite shows, I'm shocked by just how much more I "get" nowadays. They're so dense that it has just gotten funnier.

Krejlooc

Banned
I wonder if Mary Jo Pehl is coming back, she's a long time writer for the show (since like season 3-4) and she's been open to basically every riffing project thus far, including both CT and Rifftrax. She's been really quiet about all this, unlike Mike, Kevin, Bill, Trace, and Frank. I really hope she comes back, because she's an incredibly funny woman. I was lucky enough to interview her in Austin, Tx for a project back in college.

Krejlooc

Banned
I wonder if, with their latest update showing a new design for Professor Bobo, if that is basically confirming a Kevin Murphy guest shot.

If he does indeed come back, I hope they get him into the theater somehow, just like how Trace and Frank and Pearl all got at least one shot of riffing in the theater.

Aaron

Finally backed for the blu-rays. Yeah, I know they'll be much cheaper somewhere down the line, but eh every move they've made has been a right one for me on this kickstarter.

I think it's clear Dan Harmon being a "guest writer" is a ploy, he's obviously trying to do a 7th stealth season of Community using MST3K, thankfully Trace and Frank saw through all this to protect the one true MST3K franchise, not Joel's shiny new Kardasian version.

When Crow talks like Abed in the première episode, I know I'll be vindicated.

I never thought I'd see the day when getting the people behind Rick and Morty to help write some new MST3K episodes would be spun as a bad thing.

Yet here we fucking are.

What could be more Hollywood (and of course, everyone knows Hollywood is a bad thing! look at how terribly the movie turned out! it didn't feel remotely like MST3K) than Rick and Morty?

I hope the sarcasm doesn't need spelling out.

gabbo

I think it's clear Dan Harmon being a "guest writer" is a ploy, he's obviously trying to do a 7th stealth season of Community using MST3K, thankfully Trace and Frank saw through all this to protect the one true MST3K franchise, not Joel's shiny new Kardasian version.

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.

daveo42

Banned

-ImaginaryInsider
(Today, 10:28 AM)

That sketch by Brett 2D Bean sure looks like it has Pearl in it, behind Kinga. I <3 Mary Jo, so I hope she at least cameos and interacts with Art at least one last time.

mclem

Six seasons and a MOVIE SIGN!

mclem

I wonder if, with their latest update showing a new design for Professor Bobo, if that is basically confirming a Kevin Murphy guest shot.

If he does indeed come back, I hope they get him into the theater somehow, just like how Trace and Frank and Pearl all got at least one shot of riffing in the theater.

There's interesting fine print if you look closely mentioning it as a puppet - it seems a human would wear the loader suit (hence the slightly odd proportions) with a black-backed window in the middle containing a puppet Bobo. A bit like Krang, thinking about it!

That's what I've thought, too. But it could also just be Kinga with her hair back...

Eyes are notably different between the two (although all the skulls are giving me something of an Elmyra about it all, as well!). It may well be reference, though.

So, apparently there's one last batch of announcements tomorrow. Now, I don't want to put two and two together and make five, buuut... I must admit, I'm itching for it a little. Old cast would be a logical choice to make as the last big announcement to build enthusiasm for a final push.

KHarvey16

Even if it doesn't quite make it before the Kickstarter ends I can't see any reason why they wouldn't continue to sell things on the website and eventually get to the $5.5 million.

Krejlooc

Banned
Even if it doesn't quite make it before the Kickstarter ends I can't see any reason why they wouldn't continue to sell things on the website and eventually get to the $5.5 million.

I think part of it is that they're trying to show the appeal to networks to try and get this back on television not just for one season

KHarvey16

I think part of it is that they're trying to show the appeal to networks to try and get this back on television not just for one season

But taking 35 or 40 days instead of 30 doesn't really change the message that much. It's already close to be the most funded movie/tv project if I remember right.

Blader

So, apparently there's one last batch of announcements tomorrow. Now, I don't want to put two and two together and make five, buuut... I must admit, I'm itching for it a little. Old cast would be a logical choice to make as the last big announcement to build enthusiasm for a final push.

Joel said in one of the last updates that he'd made offers to everyone but they all turned it down, for now at least.

I'm guessing the final push (or least part of it) will be the lost KTMA episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom