• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
They need to announce Tom and Crow guesting on an episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.

Just looking at today's numbers, as of 10:30AM PST, they've already brought in just as many new backers and over 80% as much money as all of yesterday.

jr8V1V7.gif

I'd be surprised if she isn't. Adding a bit of diversity to the cast and crew would also be welcome. Not sure how much of a barrier that is now only because it seems Joel has been reaching out to people who he personally knows, through other connections, or people who have expressed interest in appearing in a reboot of MST3K. I could see a more diverse cast coming out of this if these 12 episodes get picked up to either air on TV or through some streaming service.

Yeah she seemed genuinely nerdy/nice when I saw her in person at E3 last year. Is it weird that I'd enjoy cameos from the Rifftrax guys more than any of the Hollywood ones?

Sanjuro

Again, people batching about being over saturated with celebs need to remember this.

1. People generally hate the segments more than anything else about the program.

2. These are people with plenty of followers who can hopefully keep the franchise healthy for an extended duration, no matter what the distribution method evolves into.

Also, all this star power coming out in support would look very good in a pitch to investors/networks continue production.
Right. It just means that behind the scenes peeps won't be playing the random other characters that show up as often. I still want to see Pitch again, and maybe Flavia... bit I bet these cameos will be like one or two segments tops.

I won't be telling my wife about Jack Black though. She haaaaaaates him.

Krejlooc

Banned
something has definitely gone on with the old MST3K alumni. I asked Mary Jo Pehl if there is any chance she'll return to MST3K, and got a curt "no" in response. Asked her if she'll continue doing rifftrax, and got a lovely, well worded response.

Seems like Trace, Frank, and now Mary Jo Pehl all have animosity about the project. I still am completely on board with the reboot, but as a backer (one of many who is literally footing the bill for this) I wish we were privy to more information about why these guys feel (or at least are acting like they've been) slighted.

something has definitely gone on with the old MST3K alumni. I asked Mary Jo Pehl if there is any chance she'll return to MST3K, and got a curt "no" in response. Asked her if she'll continue doing rifftrax, and got a lovely, well worded response.

Seems like Trace, Frank, and now Mary Jo Pehl all have animosity about the project. I still am completely on board with the reboot, but as a backer (one of many who is literally footing the bill for this) I wish we were privy to more information about why these guys feel (or at least are acting like they've been) slighted.

Maybe they all kinda got together and agreed on a pact of staying away from this project. Be interesting to see how the Rifftrax side responds, though they seem to have a business arrangement going with MST3K now so they might be just keeping quiet to benefit themselves. MST3K coming back also benefits them with more exposure to the show and potential increased sales of the old episodes that now make them money.

Sanjuro

Something ain't right.

Krejlooc

Banned
Maybe they all kinda got together and agreed on a pact of staying away from this project. Be interesting to see how the Rifftrax side responds, though they seem to have a business arrangement going with MST3K now so they might be just keeping quiet to benefit themselves. MST3K coming back also benefits them with more exposure to the show and potential increased sales of the old episodes that now make them money.

Mary Jo Pehl is a part of rifftrax

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Bill Corbett also seems to have some friction here.
https://twitter.com/BillCorbett/status/675036945156804608

That would be something for Trace,Frank and Mary Jo to come forward with yes? I don't think Joel is going to come forward and say why Trace/Frank are upset.

lednerg

I think the whole animosity thing is being blown out of proportion. Hell, Mary Jo retweeted Joel talking about the Kickstarter.

xsarien

daedsiluap

Yeah, it's the question everyone seems to be asking, but no one's answering: Why is no one from even as far back as the Comedy Central days returning?

I gave some money to the project, but the scent of something political behind the scenes regarding the people who made the show so great is primarily what stopped me from giving more.

Blader

Hmm

Bill Corbett ‏@BillCorbett 14m14 minutes ago
I will say #BringBackMST3K made me appreciate again what a gentleman @TraceBeaulieu was when I took up Crow. Tough to hand that fella over.

At the risk of reading too much into it, it sounds ultimately like the cast just feels slighted at being replaced. Though Bill also says he thinks he's too old to voice Crow anyway, so I don't know.

It's definitely a shame. But at the same time we've got some great names behind the scenes and who better than Joel to launch the new season. New hosts etc make sense to me to help relaunch the show and I trust Joel as the show runner.

I'm sure it's partly that Joel abandoned the show before them, and they resent that he has it back. Understandable but hopefully something they can move beyond.

Krejlooc

Banned
the strange, snippy and curt interactions from the old MST3K alumnus and Joel during this campaign feels like watching your parents fight on christmas.

I just want the best MST3K possible :(

I can imagine there may be a thing that is constant in the names you mentioned in this case.

See what I did there?

Here's my theory:

1. These three did not get much or any royalties from the MST3K days and have no vested interest in MST3K for their own pockets. That sucks for them, seeing as how they helped create the program's success.

2. All three of these were in Cinematic Titanic. They all had a stake in CT and were probably doing all right. It helped bring their other works to a wider audience, helped get them back with audiences again, etc.

3. Joel decides that he wants to spend his time doing the MST3K reboot instead of CT. Joel earns money on MST3K and would benefit from this greatly. The others do not and would not.

4. Bill and Kevin and Mike aren't speaking out against it as much or even at all because they've already got Rifftrax and have been doing it for years. They didn't have as much to lose as Frank, Trace, and Mary Jo by ending CT.

5. Josh probably doesn't give as much of a fuck because he's already gotten shafted on ownership and the such back when they were forming Best Brains.

6. Mary Jo would obviously be effusive about her time with Rifftrax because she probably gets a nice cut off of her riffs AND she is getting a cut from Rifftrax selling MST3K, something that Joel probably could have done a long time ago but didn't.

I'm not saying that money itself is driving them, because I don't think all of them are greedy fucks or anything. But I can understand the animosity that would build up knowing that you don't get rewarded for something you helped build, and basically the situation is Joel spearheading (or at least acting as the face of) a new MST3K without you having any say in the matter.

Even back in the day when Jim Mallon owned MST3K, at least there was Best Brains and the writers and performers felt like they had some ownership of MST3K. Now it's out of their hands and out of the hands of everyone they worked hard with over the years, except Joel. I can understand not being really gung ho about that.

Trust me, this could be a LOT uglier than it is.

RangerBAD

Yeah she seemed genuinely nerdy/nice when I saw her in person at E3 last year. Is it weird that I'd enjoy cameos from the Rifftrax guys more than any of the Hollywood ones?

Actually, they are the only ones I care about. I would love for Trace and Frank to show up too. That's not looking great though.

Krejlooc

Banned
4. Bill and Kevin and Mike aren't speaking out against it as much or even at all because they've already got Rifftrax and have been doing it for years. They didn't have as much to lose as Frank, Trace, and Mary Jo by ending CT.

Bill has been pithy about the MST3K reboot all day, and just implied he was told he was too old to voice crow.

Bill has been pithy about the MST3K reboot all day, and just implied he was told he was too old to voice crow.
I said AS MUCH :lol

What's funny about that, though, is he even said that Trace was a real gentleman about passing the buck. So clearly Bill is not as much of a gentleman.

This whole thing is so irritating. Until I get non-snarky, clear information from the old cast, I'm going to trust that Joel did nothing wrong.
I'm sure also that there is some resentment with Joel becoming the main person associated with the show again after it was seen (rightly) as an ensemble effort for so long. But then Joel himself has repeatedly said as much. We have og writers back. We have Beez back. WE have the OG composer. We have an og concept artist back if I read that right. We have Joel. And we have new blood.

Maybe he should have sent out invites before it started, but I can understand why he didn't. I can understand how that would make people feel slighted too of couse but Joel really does seem to want this to live on past any specific talent and I'm all for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom