• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Cody

Where is our update? :/
A few random guesses:

-The business of actually signing people has turned out to be more difficult than they had wanted.
-A TV/Streaming deal is in progress so they don't want to rock the boat
-They want to avoid the massive Star Wars media explosion.
-They want to wait until production actually starts at the beginning of January.

A few random guesses:

-The business of actually signing people has turned out to be more difficult than they had wanted.
-A TV/Streaming deal is in progress so they don't want to rock the boat
-They want to avoid the massive Star Wars media explosion.
-They want to wait until production actually starts at the beginning of January.

Yeah, that all makes sense - but I think at this point, just a note of "hey, we are still getting our ducks in a row for a larger 'post-Kickstarter' update, sit tight till the new year" would be good.

It's effectively been radio silence since the campaign ended.

That's great news! Unfortunate that I would have had to look at Joel's @replies to even find it.

I still think sending an update, last week, or early this week - giving everyone who backed the same info as what he just wrote there would have been a better move.

/shrug

Really, once we get this big update out of the way - I imagine it'll naturally be radio silence for a bit while they get down to actually making/writing the episodes. It's not that I expect constant communication, just that we were told a big update was coming before the end of the week when the campaign ended. And then... nothing.

Enk

makes good threads.
According a recent tweet from the official BringBackMST3K Twitter the voice actors will be separate from the puppeteers this time around for the bots. Hopefully it won't be too noticeable.

gabbo

According a recent tweet from the official BringBackMST3K Twitter the voice actors will be separate from the puppeteers this time around for the bots. Hopefully it won't be too noticeable.

How would we notice? So long as they're recording at the same time...

Are we sure that wasn't just for a promo video? Wouldn't the voice actors almost have to work the puppets...especially in the theater?

EDIT: That tweet was sent during the telethon. I think those guys just handled Crow and Servo for their non-speaking background antics.

...I'VE BEEN WAITING OVER TWO WEEKS FOR AN EXTENDED THANK YOU?!?!

I'm glad we got this wrap up from the campaign, honestly. Kind of clears the table for all future updates to actually be about what is going on with the production.

Would I have liked more details about the future bits mentioned? Of course... but at least it was acknowledged, and Joel seems to have also learned his lesson about providing dates for these things. :-D

SeanC

A few nice tidbits in there, but overall it's a thank you and we'll have to wait for more details early next year (hopefully next week) and at least get the digital downloads for the old eps. I'm interested in this new Head Writer thing. I figured Patton would've been it by default. Joel wouldn't tease unless it was a name we knew, I think.

Blader

A few nice tidbits in there, but overall it's a thank you and we'll have to wait for more details early next year (hopefully next week) and at least get the digital downloads for the old eps. I'm interested in this new Head Writer thing. I figured Patton would've been it by default. Joel wouldn't tease unless it was a name we knew, I think.

Patton's only a guest writer.

I don't know if the new head writer is necessarily someone most people would know. I feel like Joel has done a lot of teasing re: writers, cameos, etc. who ended up being people that maybe some knew, but also weren't on the level of "Mike's returning!" or something like that.

SeanC

Patton's only a guest writer.

I don't know if the new head writer is necessarily someone most people would know. I feel like Joel has done a lot of teasing re: writers, cameos, etc. who ended up being people that maybe some knew, but also weren't on the level of "Mike's returning!" or something like that.

I thought Patton was staff at least? He's in the cast and on every episode, not like a Dan Harmon who is a guest.

I wouldn't want Mike to return. Fresh across the board. Plus Rifftrax has been more miss than hit for me lately. I love their live shows, though. Those always slay.

Just in case anyone who pledged at the $85 tier was wondering, the digital classic episodes have not been sent out yet. Here is the very detailed response I got from the Kickstarter team:

Team MST3K said:
It looks like Joel’s last update created a lot of confusion about rewards, and especially downloads, but don’t worry: you haven’t missed anything.

The ONLY rewards that have been sent out were the ones you’d get if you pledged separately on MST3K.com to get one of the three following “Add On Rewards”:

1. An individual “Classic Episode” download of your choice
2. The “Classic Collection” of 87 downloadable episodes
3. The autographed “Turkey Day Collection” box set.

Each of these Add-On Rewards was specifically promised before Christmas.

If you did not SPECIFICALLY get one of those three Add-On Rewards, and are wondering about the rewards from your Kickstarter pledge, you have not missed anything! Joel’s next update will provide more details, and answers to all of these questions, but none of the Kickstarter rewards have been sent out yet, and you haven’t missed an email with more details!

The “Classic Episodes” that were included as bonus rewards with Kickstarter pledges of $35, $85 or $100+ have NOT been sent out yet, since Joel is still deciding what episodes to give everyone.

You will get a lot more information about rewards in the next update, including details on how we’ll get your shipping address, size preferences, etc etc, and when we think you can expect all of the Kickstarter rewards.

Until then, take a deep breath and just relax: there’s nothing to worry about!

Sorry for any confusion we caused with the last update.

Tom_Cody

Maybe Dana Gould? That would be pretty awesome.

Glad we are all on the same time schedule in our heads - I was *just* thinking today that it was feeling like it'd been a little while since we got our last update. Specifically, the update that was supposed to explain the future of things instead of just recapping.

Although, this probably means we've got another week or two to go before we see said update. ;-)

New interview with Joel by blastr.

Not a ton of new info but some interesting tidbits:

-Joel will appear on camera but possibly not as Joel Robinson. There's "different characters" he can do.

-They have no ("maybe one") movies from the 50s/60s. Implies that the movies will be newer, but still unknowns

-The cost per episode is about $250,000. Fifteen years ago it was about $100,000 to make a Mystery Science Theater. That does not include licensing fees, which total "five figures."

mclem

If Joel's doing interviews, that suggests he has stuff to talk about, so hopefully we'll get an update at some point.

Edit: That said, I wasn't aware that interview was a week old.

Blader

Storyboard from the opening sequence:

62zjMB3.png

You bastard. I've been F5ing my gmail like a madman since the last update and you beat me to the punch.

Joel said:
I have been having really good conversations with a lot of different networks and online distributors, and – even better news! – we've got several good offers on the table!

This is great news!

Summary:

Joel said:
• What's happening with production?
- We've got new offices and a Fablab workshop.
- We've got some offers from possible network partners!

• When will the new episodes be ready?
- We've run into our first delay: international rights for films.
- It'll take us an extra month or two before production can start.
- Probably be shooting in August and September, rather than June and July

• A First Look Behind-the-Scenes
- Joel's ground rules for sharing previews and sneak peeks.
- A first look at the new opening sequence!
- A first look at some new concept art!
- A first look at a new robot prototype!

- What's happening with the Kickstarter rewards?
- An update all about rewards is coming soon!
- Reward Order Forms: coming in the next 4-6 weeks.
- Reward Schedule: coming in the next 6-8 weeks.

mclem

There is a burning question that remains unanswered.

Joel is one syllable. Mike is one syllable. Jonah is two syllables. HOW WILL THE THEME SONG COPE?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom