• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenden

Banned
He's seriously the mellowest, chillest person I've ever spoken to. An hour on the phone reduces my blood pressure for a week through tele-osmosis.

gabbo

stolen from twitter:

cSAEd3Y.jpg

Is this part on Youtube somewhere? The telethon link only goes up to the ape doing standup

Man if you look at the kicktraq the last 24 hours was insane. I thought they had zero shot at the 5.7 Veronica Mars KS record (without add ins)

But they added more than a thousand backers in the final hour and 15 minutes

I really wanted to pitch in on this but till I can see Ray as host I am worried and will buy it if its good in the future. I checked some of his stand up and heard him on the nerdist - can't say he is funny to me at all. But then there is Patton who is in my top 5 comics ever so I was really considering it. Hope it does well and can be a regular thing with the kickstarter.

I might show this to my daughter this weekend. She loves riffing on movies and making fun instead of actually watching them so this might be a ton of fun for her - can't believe I never thought to show her this before. Any recommendations for a 6yr old to check out?
Gamera vs. Guiron.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The dubbing if a little off and some of the cultural stuff doesn't translate, but Jack Frost is probably one of the best movies they riffed.

The riff is top tier, too.

opoth

Banned
I started at $0, went to $75, then $200, then sobered up and ended at $100. What a rollercoaster of emotions!

I think the $100 - $200 tiers have become a great value with the addition of the 2 new episodes, I was all in on the Blu-Ray set as soon as 9 episodes seemed to be a sure thing so I'm over the moon right now. It'll be nice to have a new MST3K t-shirt to bum around the house in on the weekends too.

daveo42

Banned
I started at $0, went to $75, then $200, then sobered up and ended at $100. What a rollercoaster of emotions!

I was near day one backer at $200 as I'm a sucker for physical media. I did consider rolling back if it looked like we were only going to hit 6 episodes, but I ended up bumping to $300 for that signed poster and threw the coffee table book on top of it all. My roommate considered the Chicago movie tickets one, but it was out of both our price ranges.

That would have been a blast to go to.

mclem

I almost went to $300, but in the end stuck at $200. I did, however, buy a significant pile of addons; if nothing else, there was no way I could turn down that Black Friday bundle!

Tom_Cody

Felicia's stream is also watchable here

Trying to figure out if I can rip it, I think I need that Dana Gould as Gaius as Shatner singing Santa Claus is Coming To Town in convenient video form and I think that was something where the official stream skipped stuff.
Damn, I missed that. I love Dana Gould. I need to track that bit down.

mclem

Damn, I missed that. I love Dana Gould. I need to track that bit down.

Here you go

On a night full of surreal performances, his was probably the most.

Edit: In a later chat with Joel, he mentioned that it was a sort-of followup to a skit he did a little while back in which he played Gaius playing Mark Twain. I'm fairly sure this is that.

mclem

No update today - it appears everyone involved's knackered - but Joel posted on a plane to Acapulco Twitter:

Thanks to all for the kind words about #bringbackMST3K We are thrilled and exhausted. Should have an update on Monday or so. #gratef

SeanC

I wonder if Joel could have taken those extra funds and work with Shout Factory on paying for and getting back some rights on older MST3k eps. I don't know the logistics in that.

I wonder if Joel could have taken those extra funds and work with Shout Factory on paying for and getting back some rights on older MST3k eps. I don't know the logistics in that.

Eh the funds were given by fans to make the new MST3K, thats where the money belongs

opoth

Banned

No need for that, Shout has still been negotiating rights for classic episodes and still consistently release 12 episodes per year.

After Vol. 35 comes out in the spring, there will only be 26 unreleased episodes, and I'm sure we'll see at least 20 of them eventually.

Whatever happens after Vol. 36 in the summer will be interesting - I could see Shout start doing sets that are half classic and half season 11 to buy extra time for negotiating rights to the last handful of classic episodes (and forcing a double dip of season 11 for a lot of people in the process)

No need for that, Shout has still been negotiating rights for classic episodes and still consistently release 12 episodes per year.

After Vol. 35 comes out in the spring, there will only be 26 unreleased episodes, and I'm sure we'll see at least 20 of them eventually.

Whatever happens after Vol. 36 in the summer will be interesting - I could see Shout start doing sets that are half classic and half season 11 to buy extra time for negotiating rights to the last handful of classic episodes (and forcing a double dip of season 11 for a lot of people in the process)

They also got to keep putting out the old volume repacks that are now OOP. Only done Vol 1 so far.

Cuburt

Amazing.

MST3K always seemed to me like a small cult hit that flew under the radar until the internet made me realize how much it resonated with people. Great to see it make a comeback.

Gonna watch some episodes in celebration.

Eh the funds were given by fans to make the new MST3K, thats where the money belongs

So long as they deliver on the promised 14 episodes and rewards, they can do whatever else they want with any extra money, including throwing a giant cocaine party. This is how kickstarter works.

mclem

So long as they deliver on the promised 14 episodes and rewards, they can do whatever else they want with any extra money, including throwing a giant cocaine party. This is how kickstarter works.

...although probably the smart thing to do is to keep the excess as a backup fund for anything unforseen. When the episodes are done, of course, then the floodgates can open

Eegah

...although probably the smart thing to do is to keep the excess as a backup fund for anything unforseen. When the episodes are done, of course, then the floodgates can open

...But cocaine party!

Now my actual comment. The past month has been so exciting, and I spent so much time compulsively checking the Kickstarter total that I don't really know what to do with myself now that it's over. I was hoping to tear into the classic package that I purchased, but it looks like that won't be ready for another few days at least. :/

LProtag

Man, I'm so excited about this.

I remember as a kid I would always catch this randomly on Sci-Fi at my grandparents house, as we didn't get the channel. I never knew when it would be on, but would always be so excited when it was. Some of my favorite memories as a kid.

My earliest memories of MST3K were seeing it on Sunday mornings whenever I got to skip church due to being sick. I was too young to understand most of the humor but the image of the old movies and the silhouette of the characters was familiar and comforting.

Any chance Shout Factory will do full season box sets or individual episodes? It seems so arbitrary that they pack 3 or 4 episodes into each volume? It's so 1980's, similar to what Time Life would do when they would release individual episodes of Star Trek for $19.99 a piece.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
God, wouldn't it be great if they had a cocaine party?

I like to think they ran the ship like Frank Zappa ran the Mothers.

Any chance Shout Factory will do full season box sets or individual episodes? It seems so arbitrary that they pack 3 or 4 episodes into each volume? It's so 1980's, similar to what Time Life would do when they would release individual episodes of Star Trek for $19.99 a piece.

1) Most seasons have over 20 episodes. How much would you be willing to pay for a collection of 20 episodes?

2) It would be hard, to the point of practically impossible, to negotiate all the rights to the movies featured in a season at the same time. And some movies they will probably never, ever get the rights to.

opoth

Banned

It may be theoretically possible, but its very unlikely that they'll be able to obtain the rights to every episode, so that means certain seasons will always be incomplete. Season 2 comes to mind in particular with Godzilla. Shout has been great at cutting through red tape but I think that is one episode that we'll never see an official release of.

The rights costs make it prohibitively expensive, the consumer is essentially paying for the movie AND the episode, probably one of the most expensive TV series to collect on DVD. Even if they somehow make prices more reasonable I'd think the larger seasons would still be $150-$200 msrp and most of the people who would want the series on physical media already have a sizable collection, making it a very expensive and unrealistic double dip for many.

UPDATE

Nothing new really other than they are now figuring out where MST3K will call home.

Joel also confirmed we will see new MST3K next year.

Joel said:
If you haven't heard, the final hours of our Kickstarter to #BringBackMST3K ended up being even crazier than I hoped. In fact, if you haven't seen the updated graphic on our page, then let me give you two big headlines:

1. When the clock ran out, our final combined total was $6,364,229! That's 114% of what we needed to make a full season, so now we'll be making fourteen new hot-off-the-griddle MST3Ks!

That's really good news for anyone whose reward package included all of the new episodes as downloads ($85+) or in the boxed set ($200+). It's also really good news for anyone who loves cheesy holiday movies... because, yes, one of those 14 episodes will also be a brand-new Holiday Special.

2. We raised $5,764,229 on Kickstarter alone, beating the previous record and making #BringBackMST3K the Most-Funded Film & Video Kickstarter – and the Ninth Most-Funded Kickstarter in any category – OF ALL TIME!

And like I said on Friday, that's not important because it's a competition... it's important because it helps us send a really clear message to all of those boardrooms of executives, to let them know that you're out there and waiting for more new MST3K. It's too soon to say where the show will end up living, but now that the Kickstarter is over, we can start figuring it out.

And as soon as we do, I promise: you'll be the first to hear about it.

Thanks to you, MST3K will be back next year... and it'll be even bigger than we hoped.

Another update expected tomorrow or Wednesday.

Denver’s dinosaur hotel gives $40k to ‘Mystery Science Theater 3000’ reboot

Denver Post said:
The owners of a dinosaur-themed hotel in Lakewood will be listed as executive producers of the recently revived popular ’90s sci-fi comedy “Mystery Science Theater 3000.”

And $40,000 of that came from Greg Tally and his wife, Meredith, who own the dinosaur-themed Best Western Southwest Denver in Lakewood near the intersection of U.S. 285 and Wadsworth Boulevard.

“The Dinosaur Hotel just spent its 2016 marketing budget to become the executive producers of the new season of Mystery Science Theater 3000!” the hotel announced on its Facebook page Dec. 12.

That level of funding surpasses the highest tier of the campaign, which was $25,000 and gave backers the title of excutive producer for the entire new season.

Greg Tally said he gave $25,000 through Kickstarter and the other $15,000 through a contribution to the website.

Still no update from Joel. I think he's fled the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom