• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

Thank goodness I'd seen all this before the Rifftrax KS ended. I'd already pledged, but I think this is enough to get me to up it a bit. And I might well get a Castleton T-shirt out of it if it gets a bit higher.

mclem

I noticed the Rifftrax KS basically gained, what, 40k since I looked at it this lunchtime? Wonder if that's the bump from Joel's link. Either way, looks like I'm getting a Castleton T-shirt!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
One of the strech goals for the Rifftrax kcikstarter is a riff of the pilot episode of Game of Thrones...

I must be crazy, because I could have sworn that they did that one before.

mclem

One of the strech goals for the Rifftrax kcikstarter is a riff of the pilot episode of Game of Thrones...

I must be crazy, because I could have sworn that they did that one before.

They did Lost and Heroes, I remember that. I don't recall GoT, though.

mclem

Rifftrax have updated their stretch goals with a focus on 'getting more backers' rather than 'more money', which is a bit different but kind of makes sense (getting the word out!). Of note:

Already achieved:
* Blu-Ray option for reunion show for $100 backers
* DVD of Time Chasers show for $125 backers
* New commentaries, free for all backers:
- Gravity (Bridget and Mary-Jo, their first full film commentary)
- Episode 1 of Daredevil
- Episode 1 of The Walking Dead

And still to come (and given the rate it's going up, I wouldn't be too surprised if it makes it) - new commentaries free to backers for:

* Jurassic World
* Road House - the very first (Nelson-only!) Rifftrax release - reriffed with all three.

It's crossed my mind that I pledged last year and I don't think I ever actually claimed any of the rewards! Probably ought to look into that.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Wow, they've added so many backers with the last few stretch goals.

I didn't think we'd get to 10,000 backers at first and now we'll probably surpass that in an hour or two.

What do you guys think the other two live shows will be? Since this year's theme seems to be nostalgia based, I think they should do other classic MST3K shows. Like The Pumaman and Werewolf.

SeanC

I'm in for $50. The stuff above that I don't really need, but I know that a) I'd buy the two live shows anyways. b) I need an MP3 voucher for The Room Live and c) Need a voucher for a full length Rifftrax to get Sketchfest 2016 (and if that doesn't qualify, Samurai Cop).

The stretchgoals don't do a ton for me, though I do look forward to the riff of Gravity. There's a lot of potential there for a good Riff, stuff like Walking Dead or Daredevil I don't really need Riffs for, I'm not into physical media that much and I don't wear graphic T-Shirts really.

I do look forward to Road House if it gets there, though.

Blader

I'll pitch in for $50 once I get home. Just realized recently I'll have to miss the Time Chasers show since Civil War comes out the same night. :\ Whose idea was that?!

mclem

Rifftrax backers: A heads-up (because I missed it until about now and it runs out really soon): in the "10,000 backers" update, they threw out a Rifftrax code for 20% off - I don't think I've seen a code quite that high before. "Good from now through the weekend", so you've probably got a few hours yet.

I suspect I'll be picking up the Batman shorts, because I've been wanting to grab them for a while.

(I probably ought to also look into picking up the rewards from last year's Kickstarter)

Update #27:

-All of the legal issues have been worked out regarding the movies they chose to riff, every movie has been cleared and approved
-"Very close" to choosing a home for MST3K. They've narrowed it down to a few final options (can't list them for obvious reasons but pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease be Netflix or Hulu.
-For digital reward/classic episode backers:All of the free "classic bonus episodes" will be from outside of the 87 that they've already been able to sell online. Great news for people like me who have owned the "classic" episodes for years and years. Joel might even have "an extra surprise that a lot of you will be excited about…"
-Joel has made a special request that people not post backer-exclusive updates on social media as far as concept art, works in progress, etc...so I will obviously honor his wishes. He asked in the nicest, most Joel-like way possible
-Next week's update may include a little bit of what they've been planning for the updated Satellite of Love

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Does this show really cost half a million per episode to produce? I'm having a hard time believing it would cost that much.

tuffy

Does this show really cost half a million per episode to produce? I'm having a hard time believing it would cost that much.
Hiring writers, hiring cast & crew, licensing movie rights, building sets, designing robots, Kickstarter fees and producing rewards are all things that cost money. A big chunk of those costs are one-time things which is why they're trying to work out a long-term deal with a service like Netflix.

You are adding up the cost wrong. By the kickstarter, the episodes are about 300k-ish each. The first tier in the Kickstarter includes the startup costs, which are very front-loaded in a production like this. Building sets, renting studios, building puppets, etc.

Then, factor in the costs of licensing a film for digital distribution, which is easily the single largest cost for each episode.

Tom_Cody

Update #27:

-All of the legal issues have been worked out regarding the movies they chose to riff, every movie has been cleared and approved
-"Very close" to choosing a home for MST3K. They've narrowed it down to a few final options (can't list them for obvious reasons but pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease be Netflix or Hulu.
-For digital reward/classic episode backers:All of the free "classic bonus episodes" will be from outside of the 87 that they've already been able to sell online. Great news for people like me who have owned the "classic" episodes for years and years. Joel might even have "an extra surprise that a lot of you will be excited about…"
-Joel has made a special request that people not post backer-exclusive updates on social media as far as concept art, works in progress, etc...so I will obviously honor his wishes. He asked in the nicest, most Joel-like way possible
-Next week's update may include a little bit of what they've been planning for the updated Satellite of Love
I'm glad to hear it. I had been fretting that failing to finalize the deals before all the attention from the Kickstarter came about could end up being a fatal mistake.

Also, the "Mr. Waverly" robot design looks pretty boss.

Eegah

I'm not sure if this is old news, but for those who purchased the classic collection they seem to have made a substitution for one of the available movies. Soultaker is no longer available and instead they have Jack Frost.

And a reminder for those that have not yet downloaded all of the episodes to do so before they remove any more. I had only downloaded the first 66 episodes of the 87 and hadn't gotten to Soultaker yet. :(

I really need to get off my duff and download the whole classic collection I bought during the campaign. Anyone have a ballpark figure of how much storage space it would take up? I'll prolly just buy a small external HDD

SeanC

Speaking of the classic episodes, is there word on when backers who got some for free can download them (and where?) Or are we still waiting on rewards updates? Between this and the Rifftrax emails I'm just worried I might have overlooked it.

There's some I'd love to get good versions of. I've watched MST3k Castle of Fu Manchu on Youtube too many times and hope it's an option to get a nice crisp version.

I

tuffy

Speaking of the classic episodes, is there word on when backers who got some for free can download them (and where?) Or are we still waiting on rewards updates? Between this and the Rifftrax emails I'm just worried I might have overlooked it.

There's some I'd love to get good versions of. I've watched MST3k Castle of Fu Manchu on Youtube too many times and hope it's an option to get a nice crisp version.
The backer rewards episodes are still pending, but we know those episodes won't have any overlap with the 87 episode Classic Collection add-on reward. And since Fu Machu was in the Classic Collection set, in shouldn't be in the backer rewards. But you can order it separately as a download if you like.

SeanC

Ah thanks, I must have forgotten because that sounds right now.

Should have bought the classic episodes when they had that big deal on them. Just already backed over my budget. Ah well.

Eegah

I really need to get off my duff and download the whole classic collection I bought during the campaign. Anyone have a ballpark figure of how much storage space it would take up? I'll prolly just buy a small external HDD

Ballpark? Approximately 75 GB. Though most movies have a smaller version you can download if room is an issue.

zigg

I'm not sure if this is old news, but for those who purchased the classic collection they seem to have made a substitution for one of the available movies. Soultaker is no longer available and instead they have Jack Frost.

And a reminder for those that have not yet downloaded all of the episodes to do so before they remove any more. I had only downloaded the first 66 episodes of the 87 and hadn't gotten to Soultaker yet. :(
They lost the rights to Soultaker, IIRC. I raced to buy the DVD set when I heard that was happening.

B.K.

They lost the rights to Soultaker, IIRC. I raced to buy the DVD set when I heard that was happening.

I guess I need to buy the set. I don't think I have that one. Is there any way to find out when Shout Factory loses a license and a set goes out of print?

Latest update reveals some concept art for a revised exterior of the Satellite of Love. As requested by Joel regarding concept art/videos, I won't be posting pictures of it (I'm keeping up the images I had already posted since that was before his request), but it doesn't look all that different than what you're used to.

As far as the interior:

Joel said:
In old episodes of MST3K, you mostly just saw the bridge of the SoL, the “hall of doors”, and the Mystery Science Theater. And you know, even though MST3K is just a show, and I should really just relax, I've decided it would actually be kind of fun to hint at the answers to some old questions. Questions like: Where do Jonah and the bots live? Where do they eat? Where do they bathe? (Do they bathe?!)

So yeah, I think you'll see a lot more of the interior of the Satellite of Love this time around. But I’m going to wait on revealing most of that until the new episodes come out. After that, there are a lot of neat details and ideas I can explain a little more.

Basically saying we'll be seeing more than just outside the theater doors and the hallway to the theater.

He ended the update with this:

Joel said:
We're still waiting for a few final details to get worked out, but next week, I'm hoping I might be able to introduce you to another new face, whose name I can't reveal just yet. But I promise, it's great news, and I'm looking forward to telling you all about it.

Hoo boy!

B.K.

Did anyone else immediately think of the Tantive IV when they saw the new Satellite of Love concept? It's interesting that Joel is calling the theater the Mystery Science Theater in the update. I always thought that was just a slip of the tongue in the episode where he called it that.

Enk

makes good threads.
Hmm, with the latest update I wonder if they're going to take the MST3K: The Movie approach to the show where everything is done with multiple camera angles and having additional details like seeing The Mads on a giant screen. I actually wouldn't mind seeing them do that again.

MooMilk2929

I just now started buying MST3k Episodes off Amazon video. I wish they would sell seasons by now. I know it'd have to be alot of money cause a single episode is 10 dollars most of the time, but it'd still be nice to buy entire seasons.

I am anxious for the new season tho. I hope they put that on amazon instant video too.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I just now started buying MST3k Episodes off Amazon video. I wish they would sell seasons by now. I know it'd have to be alot of money cause a single episode is 10 dollars most of the time, but it'd still be nice to buy entire seasons.

I am anxious for the new season tho. I hope they put that on amazon instant video too.

It's a license thing. They have to get the video release rights for the movies. I don't think any full season has been released yet. Though they're probably really close on some of the Sci-fi era seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom