• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
There is a burning question that remains unanswered.

Joel is one syllable. Mike is one syllable. Jonah is two syllables. HOW WILL THE THEME SONG COPE?!?

Jonah is different than Mike or Joel, but he's not too different from them, or you and me.

impirius

There is a burning question that remains unanswered.

Joel is one syllable. Mike is one syllable. Jonah is two syllables. HOW WILL THE THEME SONG COPE?!?
"There was a guy named Jo-oel"

If anything, "Jonah" is a better fit for that line. He should have been hosting all along!

mclem

"There was a guy named Jo-oel"

If anything, "Jonah" is a better fit for that line. He should have been hosting all along!

Actually I had the later bit in mind:

"Now keep in mind [name] can't control / where the movies begin or end"

You could just about get all of Jo-nah into that gap, but it'll seem unwieldy. I wonder if we'll get a completely different couplet.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

You can fit Jonah in the same beat there.

Just sing the current one, but say Joel-ah and that's how it would fit.

impirius

You could just about get all of Jo-nah into that gap, but it'll seem unwieldy. I wonder if we'll get a completely different couplet.

Just write a new verse before that one that establishes "Blurp" as Jonah's nickname. Boom. Songwriting 101.

mclem

"Now keep in mind he can't control..."

That might be a bit awkward if it comes immediately after the Mads' verse, given they're singing in-character and referring to him as 'he'. The swap back to the 'narrator's' singing voice ideally does need to be accompanied with re-establishing the pronouns in the first line.

I may have overthought this.

That might be a bit awkward if it comes immediately after the Mads' verse, given they're singing in-character and referring to him as 'he'. The swap back to the 'narrator's' singing voice ideally does need to be accompanied with re-establishing the pronouns in the first line.

We'll send him cheesy movies,
The worst we can find (la-la-la).
He'll have to sit and watch them all,
And we'll monitor his mind (la-la-la).
Now keep in mind he can't control

It still works.

And we need to go deeper...

mclem

We'll send him cheesy movies,
The worst we can find (la-la-la).
He'll have to sit and watch them all,
And we'll monitor his mind (la-la-la).
Now keep in mind he can't control

It still works.

And we need to go deeper...

It's not the Mads singing that last line, though. New speaker, needs to reestablish pronouns relative to them.

Well, unless they change it so the Mads do sing that line, I don't quite see that working, but it could do.

It's not the Mads singing that last line, though. New speaker, needs to reestablish pronouns relative to them.

Well, unless they change it so the Mads do sing that line, I don't quite see that working, but it could do.

I think if Jonah is on the screen it's obvious who they're talking about.

Brashnir

If you're wondering how the cadence reads
and other poet facts
just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show
I should really just relax."

Tom_Cody

Everything sounds exciting in the update to me.

I'm looking forward to the intro/ending and segments as much as the new movies. It's great that they're putting so much work into them.

Interesting:

RiffTrax Live 2016: MST3K Reunion, Time Chasers Live & More

Rifftrax Kickstarter said:
Those shows were big hits, and with your help this year we think we could top them ALL with something even bigger for what will be our 20th RiffTrax Live Event: an MST3K Reunion Live Show!

Yes, a Mystery Science Theater 3000 reunion broadcast to hundreds of movie theaters all across America! To help celebrate our 10th year at RiffTrax, we're planning an amazing night of riffing and comedy with most of the original MST3K stars, including...

RiffTrax regulars Michael J. Nelson, Kevin Murphy, Bill Corbett!

PLUS confirmed special guest stars:

Trace Beaulieu, Frank Conniff, Mary Jo Pehl and Bridget Nelson!

We've also invited the other veteran cast members as well as the cast of the New MST3K, and we're hopeful they'll join us too.

Sounds like a non-invite to Joel and the new cast.

Blader

That sounds pretty cool! Will probably be the first live Rifftrax I go to in years.

That said, that last line sounds like a pretty passive-aggressive shot at Joel.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I have a tough time buying that the Rifftrax guys have any ill-will towards Joel, given they pushed the Kickstarter and started selling MST3K episodes on their site at the same time.

Now I do think it's possible they had to chose to either get Trace and Frank or Joel, and chose the former.

B.K.

I always had the feeling that there was some bad blood between the Rifftrax crew and Joel's gang when Cinematic Titanic was going on. It really seems like that has eased up lately though. I believe Shout Factory has had a big hand in it since they got the rights to MST3k. They've treated all the former cast and crew better in the last few months than Jim and Best Brains ever did.

Blader

I only thought it looked like a passive aggressive shot because it sounds almost word-for-word what Joel said about inviting the MST3K vets onto the new show when he launched his Kickstarter.

Mike/Bill/Kevin are probably fine with Joel. I'm sure they don't love being excluded from the process but they have Rifftrax. Trace, Frank, and Josh (conspicuously absent in this reunion!) are more out in the cold comparatively and probably feel the sting of being left out a little more.

Tim Heidecker weighs in:

bR6IqSa.jpg

Abounder

Banned
Good to see the reunion kickstarter kicking ass

Anyway as for Joel drama...there's gotta be a lot of bad blood. Time and time again the old crew wasn't treated right, and Joel seems like he is on another level of success/fame which can't help things (you could almost write a Galaxy Quest spinoff based on this). He is not only friends with legends like Seinfeld but does business like that as well. Oh well at least we have Rifftrax, live shows, and new MST3k to look forward to.

Blader

Good to see the reunion kickstarter kicking ass

Anyway as for Joel drama...there's gotta be a lot of bad blood. Time and time again the old crew wasn't treated right, and Joel seems like he is on another level of success/fame (you could almost write a Galaxy Quest spinoff based off this). He is not only friends with legends like Seinfeld but does business like that as well. Oh well at least we have Rifftrax, live shows, and new MST3k to look forward to.

I know most accounts have the bad blood (most, if not all, of it) aimed at Mallon rather than Joel... but it is kinda weird that Joel doesn't get more shit from the rest of them. Because if the sticking point for the other writers/actors is that they weren't compensated for the show past their first paychecks while Mallon continued to benefit from years of ownership royalties -- something that Joel also did, despite being off the show for half of its life -- then why doesn't Joel also get that same criticism? Shouldn't the others be just as pissed that Joel profited off the show too while no one else did?

Time Chasers is my absolute favorite MST episode. I have to back this. In a way I wish it was a bit more ambitious but since they're keeping it simple, I'm happy to throw in at a low level just to get Time Chasers.

Abounder

Banned
I know most accounts have the bad blood (most, if not all, of it) aimed at Mallon rather than Joel... but it is kinda weird that Joel doesn't get more shit from the rest of them. Because if the sticking point for the other writers/actors is that they weren't compensated for the show past their first paychecks while Mallon continued to benefit from years of ownership royalties -- something that Joel also did, despite being off the show for half of its life -- then why doesn't Joel also get that same criticism? Shouldn't the others be just as pissed that Joel profited off the show too while no one else did?

True. Hmm. Maybe behind the scenes none of them are really happy with the royalties situation, even against Joel since like you pointed out he wasn't there for half the seasons. But the sinking point must have happened shortly after Cinematic Titanic was abandoned, meanwhile it's been steady seas for the Rifftrax crew. Get the feeling that Frank/etc wanted a role/$ rivaling Joel's on the new MST3k, like their live shows. Shame there's drama but at least we're getting a lot of projects

True. Hmm. Maybe behind the scenes none of them are really happy with the royalties situation, even against Joel since like you pointed out he wasn't there for half the seasons. But the sinking point must have happened shortly after Cinematic Titanic was abandoned, meanwhile it's been steady seas for the Rifftrax crew. Get the feeling that Frank/etc wanted a role/$ rivaling Joel's on the new MST3k, like their live shows. Shame there's drama but at least we're getting a lot of projects

My guess is Abounder is close to right.

In the past, I think everyone was pissed at Jim Mallon because he owned MST3K and those who did not get production credits (like Bill and Frank) didn't get anything for their efforts and those outside of Jim and Joel probably didn't get as much as they should have, given their impact on the show (Mike, Trace, Kevin). I think the performers probably gave some leniency to Joel because he was the one who created the show and was more of "one of them" instead of Jim, who could be seen as just the business guy who was less responsible for the success of the show. I don't know, kind of guessing there.

I think the Rifftrax crew probably is a little salty about that still but they're kind of in a place where they have their own venture that is successful and they own it. So the new bad blood probably isn't on their side.

The current bad blood has got to be against Joel for dumping Cinematic Titanic (which was almost assuredly more evenly split among the five writers/performers) to reboot MST3K, which has name recognition and earning power for Joel. I know that Frank and Trace are salty about it because they've been pretty vocal about it. Don't know about Mary Jo, or she is more quiet about it. Josh is probably not happy but he's been fucked over before by MST3K so it's probably not new for him. And, as I said in the past, I don't blame them a single bit for being mad about it.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
If this leads to more of the MST3k crew releasing riffs on Rifftrax, then it'll all be worth it. I'd love a series from Frank and Trace to compliment the Mary Jo and Bridget riffs.

Blader

The current bad blood has got to be against Joel for dumping Cinematic Titanic (which was almost assuredly more evenly split among the five writers/performers) to reboot MST3K, which has name recognition and earning power for Joel. I know that Frank and Trace are salty about it because they've been pretty vocal about it. Don't know about Mary Jo, or she is more quiet about it. Josh is probably not happy but he's been fucked over before by MST3K so it's probably not new for him. And, as I said in the past, I don't blame them a single bit for being mad about it.

Yeah that makes sense. Although, didn't the CT crew put the show on indefinite hiatus years ago because it was so logistically difficult to put together those shows? Unless that hiatus was more to do with Joel wanting to stop the show so that he could work on MST3K instead?

Given how few CT releases there were, having to split the earnings five ways, and the fact they didn't even bother to film/release their last couple shows, I can't imagine it was a very lucrative business for them anyway. Rifftrax has a much higher output and far fewer people to share the money around with.

Yeah that makes sense. Although, didn't the CT crew put the show on indefinite hiatus years ago because it was so logistically difficult to put together those shows? Unless that hiatus was more to do with Joel wanting to stop the show so that he could work on MST3K instead?

Given how few CT releases there were, having to split the earnings five ways, and the fact they didn't even bother to film/release their last couple shows, I can't imagine it was a very lucrative business for them anyway. Rifftrax has a much higher output and far fewer people to share the money around with.
I believe this is the case. The group dissolved because Joel was going to focus more time on MST3K. Maybe there was some desire for others to do other things (Josh has made a documentary and I believe is planning another), but the MST3K thing is what I believe led to the dissolution.

I don't know that the business was super lucrative, especially when compared to a Rifftrax, but it was probably good money and they got to travel and sell their other stuff, which would be more lucrative. Kind of like a band touring to sell merch and CDs.

We are officially 6 weeks from the last update...which is the timeframe given for rewards:

From February 10:

"In the next 4-6 weeks, we'll email you a REWARD ORDER FORM, where you can give us all of the details we need from you, and get additional reward add-ons or upgrades."

Has anyone received this yet?

mclem

We are officially 6 weeks from the last update...which is the timeframe given for rewards:

From February 10:

"In the next 4-6 weeks, we'll email you a REWARD ORDER FORM, where you can give us all of the details we need from you, and get additional reward add-ons or upgrades."

Has anyone received this yet?

Clearly Joel dictated it, and it's not four-to-six weeks, but forty-six weeks.

SeanC

Was just about to post this. It may be April 1 but apparently it's real and confirmed.

Jonah and Corbett at least on Twitter saying "Yeah, it's April Fools day but it's not a joke."

I need to figure out how to post twitter on this here board thing, but this is pretty huge. Very happy I've donated.

SeanC

If they do the reunion like they do the Sketchfest stuff, I imagine they'll have various people doing various shorts. I mean, they gotta have just Kevin, Joel and Trace on one, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom