• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Man, that's neat and everything but I'd want to get an equity stake for 40 grand. I don't care what it is.

Eegah

Someone on the Kickstarter chat said that they received their Turkeyday DVD set yesterday. So at least they must be mailing the add-on gifts.

I'm still waiting for my digital episodes. :/

mclem

I'm fairly sure that during the Black Friday sale there was talk of the digital products bought back then being available on the 20th. I've not heard anything about that since, but the messaging may still be waiting for me at home (I've been moving around over the past few days for Christmas, and I'm now in a different country!).

Has anyone else who ordered back then (I know the planned release was later for later orders) had any details come through as yet? I'm not going to be torches and pitchforks about it anyway, I'm just wondering since I've been travelling so much.

tuffy

I'm fairly sure that during the Black Friday sale there was talk of the digital products bought back then being available on the 20th. I've not heard anything about that since, but the messaging may still be waiting for me at home (I've been moving around over the past few days for Christmas, and I'm now in a different country!).

Has anyone else who ordered back then (I know the planned release was later for later orders) had any details come through as yet? I'm not going to be torches and pitchforks about it anyway, I'm just wondering since I've been travelling so much.
They were going to move them to a better distribution platform and get them out before Christmas:
BringBackMST3K said:
The digital collection and the individual episodes of MST3K are coming your way shortly, but first, we're moving them over to a new distribution platform that will be MUCH more awesome for you. It's going to take us an extra minute to do that, but we can't wait to get them to you, so we'll make certain you'll have them before Christmas. We're sorry about the delay — if this just isn't going to cut it, please email us with your order number and we'll send you a refund post haste.

A week later and still no follow up information. :(

Am I being unreasonable to have expected at least something more substantial than just the 'Thanks!' one we got last Monday?

When will the new season begin airing?

What network or venue will I be able to catch it?

What distributed films will they be able to riff on?

Will there be any new robot additions?

Will Crow have an entire body for this updated rendition?

And will the show retain the same crappy looking set design from their comedy central days. I always found their low budget creativity to be endearing.

When will the new season begin airing?

What network or venue will I be able to catch it?

What distributed films will they be able to riff on?

Will there be any new robot additions?

And will the show retain the same crappy looking set design from their comedy central days. I always found their low budget creativity to be endearing.

-Supposedly end of 2016

-?

-?

-Yes

-He has a jetpack now

-Yes and no.

And now Trace is on another "I'm not involved" rant on Twitter. Unfortunately just unfollowed him because of it. Seems like that was the only thing I've seen him post lately.

Sliver

Yeah an update would be nice but I can understand the hold-up. Didn't they say they weren't drawing up and signing contracts until the Kickstarter ended? There's gotta be a massive amount of work being done behind the scenes currently.

I'm thinking whenever the next update is it will include some backer rewards, at the very least the digital episodes and Rifftrax. Hopefully before Christmas, though.

-He has a jetpack now

I saw a picture of Crow with legs. Real looking legs and not the ones fashioned from his arms I was wondering if the enhanced budget would cover any possible upgrades to his design.

And I'm really curious on the films that they're going to riff on. Mac & Me is my dream episode. Mac & Me was produced by the now defunct Orion, so I can't see what copyright issues are at play, unless we're talking about just about every product placement known to man that is featured in that film. It's become a pop culture meme thanks to Conan O'Brien and Paul Rudd. So much insanity goes on in that film that I'm absolutely certain it would become an instant classic.

Anyone who's in the know, what factors would prevent Joel from considering this gem?

According to Trace, the issue isn't money:

1_zps6a8utbsa.jpg

2_zpsc5p0yvvx.jpg

I look forward to more cryptic, passive aggressive spitballs from the crew!

Tom_Cody

Yeah an update would be nice but I can understand the hold-up. Didn't they say they weren't drawing up and signing contracts until the Kickstarter ended? There's gotta be a massive amount of work being done behind the scenes currently.

I'm thinking whenever the next update is it will include some backer rewards, at the very least the digital episodes and Rifftrax. Hopefully before Christmas, though.
This.

I'm sure the business side of this is going to be pretty complicated. They have the money, but now they need to make actual deals.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I saw a picture of Crow with legs. Real looking legs and not the ones fashioned from his arms I was wondering if the enhanced budget would cover any possible upgrades to his design.

And I'm really curious on the films that they're going to riff on. Mac & Me is my dream episode. Mac & Me was produced by the now defunct Orion, so I can't see what copyright issues are at play, unless we're talking about just about every product placement known to man that is featured in that film. It's become a pop culture meme thanks to Conan O'Brien and Paul Rudd. So much insanity goes on in that film that I'm absolutely certain it would become an instant classic.

Anyone who's in the know, what factors would prevent Joel from considering this gem?

We've been over this before in other MST3K/Rifftrax related threads: Orion may be defunct, but their back catalog is owned by MGM. If they wanted to riff this movie, they would have to work a deal out with them.

Blader

I feel like this tweet is our best, clearest indicator:

5IjTsPF.jpg

They wanted to be back on the show as actors/writers, not cameo guests, and probably resent Joel's assertion that the show needs new blood if it's going to survive.

Cheebo

Banned
I feel like this tweet is our best, clearest indicator:

5IjTsPF.jpg

They wanted to be back on the show as actors/writers, not cameo guests, and probably resent Joel's assertion that the show needs new blood if it's going to survive.

Joel was right. The MST3K concept is bigger than any 1 (or 2 or 3...) actors.

SeanC

And now Trace is on another "I'm not involved" rant on Twitter. Unfortunately just unfollowed him because of it. Seems like that was the only thing I've seen him post lately.

Yeah, did the same sadly. It's coming across as petty and he's still doing it as of this morning. I hate people that tweet stuff like this. There's being coy, then there's just being obnoxious.

We've been over this before in other MST3K/Rifftrax related threads: Orion may be defunct, but their back catalog is owned by MGM. If they wanted to riff this movie, they would have to work a deal out with them.

How did MGM get ahold of Mac & Me? And do they actually believe the film has any intrinsic value beyond its cult status? It's not like it's a recognizable film or property to capitalize on.

If Joel is trying to expand his audience, wouldn't acquiring more high profile films be the way to go? There are only so many 1950's films and propaganda/etiquette features to lampoon. Sleepaway Camp, Night of the Living Dead, Ice Pirates, Masters of the Universe, not to mention the countless knockoffs based off of these films would work in my view.

lednerg

There's no way the Kickstarter would have been nearly as successful with just the old guys, let's just face facts, here. Not only that, but they'd also have a much harder time selling it to distributors - who, btw, can lend their libraries of films to the project. It's a shame some feelings are hurt, but this was ultimately the best move for the show.

UPDATE

New interview with Joel at Rolling Stone.

Filming Production begins January 4th at 10 a.m., targeting fall release date.

Article also mentions this interview was conducted a few days after the Kickstarter ended and Joel did indeed take a vacation.

Rolling Stone said:
Will it be streaming or is it coming back to television?

We're trying to figure that out right now. We don't know exactly. The idea was to try to create a hybrid. We just want to do what's best for the show and its fans.

Sliver

Joel tweeted that the update is coming this week, so everyone calm your nerd hearts. I would link but I'm on mobile at work.

Filming starts January 4th? So excited.

So it was right around my birthday and I said f it. I'll be hitting the LA premier. I have a friend who makes custom clothing, I want to get some kind of MST3K suit made for it. Ideas?

So it was right around my birthday and I said f it. I'll be hitting the LA premier. I have a friend who makes custom clothing, I want to get some kind of MST3K suit made for it. Ideas?
Stylish Gizmonics suit is pretty obvious. Maybe a TV's Frank style suit? Dr. F. green lab coat suit? Torgo suit perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom