• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Manga |OT2| Not A Romance Manga

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Sakura is a ticking time bomb when it comes to Drama.... her trigger is Sasuke, when he is involved all hell breaks loose..... I for one am glad that some characters are missing from all this drama.... you can even see Naruto is tired of this shit

Honestly, I'm pissed we never got some chapters of Naruto and Hinata just hanging out. Had Kishi paced the plot better, had Hinata and Naruto get together after the fight with Pain, and broken the war up into separate smaller missions it could have been so much better. He'd still have been able to tell the same story and we could have had little pallet cleansers every now and again instead of getting bogged down in the war and begging for the end. Why no one told him that he excelled at the basic character interaction is beyond me. This is the sort of thing an editor should have noticed and tried to push.

To be honest most of the relationships that each character ended up in weren't fleshed out at all. Kishi came to the end of the journey and just grouped everyone up with one another. It was always Hinata crushing on Naruto and Sakura crushing on Sasuke. Came to the end and they all just suddenly love each other and have kids. I've looked past it by now but it is something that has always irked me given how much time they had to flesh those out but didn't.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
To be honest most of the relationships that each character ended up in weren't fleshed out at all. Kishi came to the end of the journey and just grouped everyone up with one another. It was always Hinata crushing on Naruto and Sakura crushing on Sasuke. Came to the end and they all just suddenly love each other and have kids. I've looked past it by now but it is something that has always irked me given how much time they had to flesh those out but didn't.

It's something a better editor might have been able to help solve. For better or worse, once a series reaches a certain level of popularity the editors either back off or become yes men. Something I've learned from talking to a couple of professional editors is the best writers are always open to criticism, they're looking for ways to make whatever they're doing better. Kishi said he didn't want to do that stuff because it made him feel awkward, someone needed to push back and make him do it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What IS it with female characters and psychotic behaviors in Narutoverse anyways?

Tsunade is a lady that once almost killed Jiraiya because of peeking and use Ninjutsu techniques to hide her real appearance. Hinata is a stalker who cares more about her crush then the dead cousin right in front of her. Sakura married a traitor and a murderer, who tried to kill her at least twice, and sticks with the man even when apparently he's making a baby not with her and did not, not even once, make the effort to make contact with his own daughter for tens of years.

And Karin................still willing to make babies with a man sticking his sword in her gut.

What IS IT with Sasuke that makes women fall in love with him continually despite his history of trying to skewer them with his sword?

Fuck, it seems like only Ten Ten is the most normal out of the bunch, lol.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What IS it with female characters and psychotic behaviors in Narutoverse anyways?

Tsunade is a lady that once almost killed Jiraiya because of peeking and use Ninjutsu techniques to hide her real appearance. Hinata is a stalker who cares more about her crush then the dead cousin right in front of her. Sakura married a traitor and a murderer, who tried to kill her at least twice, and sticks with the man even when apparently he's making a baby not with her and did not, not even once, make the effort to make contact with his own daughter for tens of years.

And Karin................still willing to make babies with a man sticking his sword in her gut.

What IS IT with Sasuke that makes women fall in love with him continually despite his history of trying to skewer them with his sword?

Honestly, the Hinata thing might have made a bit more sense if she was dating Naruto at the time. It also lacked any sort of impact due to the fact it had been hundred's of chapters since Neji was last relevant.

Village

One, think he's a handsome anime guy.

Two, something you and everyone else seems to forget.

Ahem

THEY ARE NINJAS!

They are child soilders who are taught how to use magical spells and weapons to murder each other... from elementary school. Then to get high ninja ranks you must then participate in a tournament where you must almost if not just strait murder your competition to maybe be a chunin.And speaking of that event, you remember when garra and the sand ninja's tried to merc everyone and then two seconds later were good guys? Or do we magically forget that they live in a ninja world, where the art of murder has been distilled down to a business for a great deal of people.

Let alone a world where governments create, hire, then exterminate clans which are private military factions, inside of their private military faction so they can do wars better. Creating orphans like naruto, sasuke, garra and haku. And Myriad of other things

Its not hard to believe in magical ninja murder land, that two people who have tried to kill each other at one point or another can get past that. Since they were taught to kill people IN MIDDLE SCHOOL.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Ahem

THEY ARE NINJAS!

They are child soilders who are taught how to use magical spells and weapons to murder each other... from elementary school. Then to get high ninja ranks you must then participate in a tournament where you must almost if not just strait murder your competition to maybe be a chunin.And speaking of that event, you remember when garra and the sand ninja's tried to merc everyone and then two seconds later were good guys? Or do we magically forget that they live in a ninja world, where the art of murder has been distilled down to a business for a great deal of people.

Let alone a world where governments create, hire, then exterminate clans which are private military factions, inside of their private military faction so they can do wars better. Creating orphans like naruto, sasuke, garra and haku. And Myriad of other things

Its not hard to believe in magical ninja murder land, that two people who have tried to kill each other at one point or another can get past that. Since they were taught to kill people IN MIDDLE SCHOOL.
Really great point.

clearly that picture helps lol

lol I'd rather have a wife who naturally ages them some false lie via the Yin Seal

Yin Seal = the plastic surgery of the Ninjaverse
--------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of age alteration....

Nah, Yin seal is eternal beauty. Sakura and Tsuande win. So much for Uzamaki genes xD

Man, I thought Hinata was lame because hey, she's the wife of the lead character who is also the leader of one of Konoha's most powerful houses and yet she barely appears.

But maybe she's the most intelligent character of all after all, by not involving herself in all this mess.

In fact, her overall normalcy is a breath of fresh air.

Hinata was never a main character and she is irrelevant to the story right now. You might as well be asking where is Shikamaru. This gaiden seems to be focusing on the Uchiha family and Naruto. Cho Cho as well xD

Karin is weird. Gaiden stuff ain't conclusive yet either.

In a manga where teenage kids are taught to kill each other, in a manga that has been always about the strength of bonds and forgiveness, what is it about Sasuke huh......its not really Sasuke. Its Naruto and Sakura. They had faith in Sasuke till the very end, not even Sasuke had such a resolve. It was only when Sasuke understood Naruto's bond with him that he lost his hatred for the shinobi system, and thats when he realised what was truly important. You see in 699, Sasuke talks about his journey of redemption and how his way of forcing peace through fear was wrong. If Naruto and Sakura could save Sasuke then he believes that they could very well save the shinobi system, even though its idealistic and the problems may be much larger he now has faith. You need to have faith in each other.

Sasuke changed for good 12 years ago. Some of you can't accept that and continue living in the past.

THEY ARE NINJAS!

Exactly.

Hinata was never a main character and she is irrelevant to the story right now. You might as well be asking where is Shikamaru. This gaiden seems to be focusing on the Uchiha family and Naruto. Cho Cho as well xD

Naruto's own kids haven't shown up in idk how long ... Pretty much everyone is irrelevant to the story now. It's been souly focused on Salad and Cho Cho (which is actually very much welcomed, I hope they keep this trend for the movie)

Erigu

Yeah, it's weird how people always seem to forget that Naruto is really a raw, unforgiving look into the world of child soldiers.
... Could it be because it really isn't anything like that?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yeah, it's weird how people always seem to forget that Naruto is really a raw, unforgiving look into the world of child soldiers.
It is though. Look at Sai's backstory with his brother and the entire Sasuke Retrieval arc, which has lab rat ninja children fighting other child ninjas. Kakashi's backstory at Kannabi Bridge where Obito "died" and later when he was forced to kill Rin. Haku's backstory of being ostracized and his relationship with Zabuza as his "tool". Rock Lee being an outcast because he can't use tools of war that everyone else can. Orochimaru and his weird obsession with young people in particular.

Naruto is very, very much about child soldiers as much as it is about adult soldiers. A ninja is a specialized soldier.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Ahem

THEY ARE NINJAS!

If only Kishimoto is consistent in picturing the darker sides of all these shady business. Naruto is now the leader of a village that does and condone stuff like this at regular basis but looking at him you'd think Narutoverse is the land of dreams, sunshines, and rainbows.

Naruto's own kids haven't shown up in idk how long ... Pretty much everyone is irrelevant to the story now. It's been souly focused on Salad and Cho Cho (which is actually very much welcomed, I hope they keep this trend for the movie)

Sadly my hype for the movie is down.

You see there are rumours that SP are also writing it (RoTN and The Last come to mind).....meaning prepare for more retcons and weird characterisations.

I'm sure the movie will focus on Bolt's side and his relationship with Naruto.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if Shin can create clones of himself and every copy he creates has the Sharingan... wouldn't that mean the "bald shin" would have an unlimited supply of Sharingans?

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if Shin can create clones of himself and every copy he creates has the Sharingan... wouldn't that mean the "bald shin" would have an unlimited supply of Sharingans?

I think so. A sharingan clone army...genetically they are all the same but each one is a real kid :/

Erigu

The only time Naruto ever came close to touching on the child soldier aspect of the world was the Hashirama flashback.
Yeah, when we were told that Hashirama made it all better with his new system that waits for children to be 13 before they're sent on missions. Solved!

Naruto is very, very much about child soldiers
C'mon, man... Yes, they're technically child soldiers, but let's not pretend the series is about that. It only goes there once in a while for the sake of "grimdark backstory drama", and even then only very superficially so. The rest of the time, it completely ignores that aspect. "Someday, I'll become general!", said the child soldier. And he eventually does. Awesome, and not creepy at all!

Just saying it's "a bit" easy to play the "they're fucked-up child soldiers" card whenever characters behave oddly, considering how the series generally handles that particular element.

If only Kishimoto is consistent in picturing the darker sides of all these shady business. Naruto is now the leader of a village that does and condone stuff like this at regular basis but looking at him you'd think Narutoverse is the land of dreams, sunshines, and rainbows.
Basically.

so did naruto not see sakura for 9 months or some shit. how would he not know if his friend was pregnant with sarada or not what the fuck

Jonnax

Loving these chapters it's very much about the characters =) It's a huge contrast to the how Naruto ended with random boring battle after battle.

so did naruto not see sakura for 9 months or some shit. how would he not know if his friend was pregnant with sarada or not what the fuck

Sarada was born outside Konoha. Naruto has not seen Sakura pregnant. Wonder what these two things can mean.....

Loving these chapters it's very much about the characters =) It's a huge contrast to the how Naruto ended with random boring battle after battle.

Same. I loved the big battles but this is a breath of fresh air to see the characters being such a focus.

It is one of the biggest reason I love this manga more than any other. The cast are great.

Hinata is a stalker who cares more about her crush then the dead cousin right in front of her.

oh you mean the same Hinata that till this day continues to visit Neji's grave and also teared up when she saw him die? The same Hinata that had her son's name be a homage to Neji?

granted the "Naruto's hand" comment was uncalled for

people keep on trying to find ways to bash Hinata's personality but unlike some other females she doesn't try to push her emotions on other people and thus make everything a burden for everyone

Yado

Well I don't like these chapters lol. That's just my own personal taste though, I love when the protagonist goes on a journey of self discovery. That panel with chocho and sarada running out of the village smiling at each other is my favourite in all of the gaiden chapters so far. It just looked promising, like these two kids taking off on an adventure, of course I expect danger and misfortune but this? What we're getting now? It would be disappointed if I still expected a certain quality from Kishi.

I suppose I'm in the minority since the reception amongst the readers seems to be pretty good. To me, it's like there's all these good characters with a lot of potential stuck in a shitty telenovela.

Omnicent

This is some crazy fun and drama. It also gave more excerpts from the best character

wMX7jAR.png

Let the salt flow indeed (Chou Chou is gold I tell you GOLD!).

As far is this maury drama, I'm still thinking it's a red herring. If Kishimoto goes through with this
then hats off to him.

Joni

Sadly my hype for the movie is down.

You see there are rumours that SP are also writing it (RoTN and The Last come to mind).....meaning prepare for more retcons and weird characterisations.

I'm sure the movie will focus on Bolt's side and his relationship with Naruto.

If SP is writing it, you at least have a chance of Naruto + Hinata romance stuff.

Ahem

THEY ARE NINJAS!

What? You make it sounds like Naruto is some kind of edgy and dark manga and obviously it isn't. This doesn't justify the fucked up relationships since every kid character despite Sasuke were not mental broken by this world to the point of accepting abusive relationships as "normal".

oh you mean the same Hinata that till this day continues to visit Neji's grave and also teared up when she saw him die? The same Hinata that had her son's name be a homage to Neji?

granted the "Naruto's hand" comment was uncalled for

people keep on trying to find ways to bash Hinata's personality but unlike some other females she doesn't try to push her emotions on other people and thus make everything a burden for everyone

Her ENTIRE character revolved around Naruto. Literally. Every single scene in Part 2 was in relation to Naruto.

That's worse than Sakura in terms of a one-track mind.

Her ENTIRE character revolved around Naruto. Literally. Every single scene in Part 2 was in relation to Naruto.

That's worse than Sakura in terms of a one-track mind.
she barley got any panel time
so any time it showed the rest of the cast they were mostly discussing about Naruto and how GREAT he is
other times were it isn't a reaction shot of how great Naruto is Konoha 11 had character and spunk
Sakura on the other hand had the most panel time after Sasuke and Naruto and yet she wasted most of that time crying for Sasuke and pushing her whining on Naruto

A fangirl loving a guy for his looks later turning that into an obsession where she would have a hissy fit any time Sasuke rejected her...... Naruto even gave up on defending her before he fought Sasuke

Ino even decided in the Chunin Exams that her friendship was more precious to her then her rivalry for Sasuke.... Sakura on the other hand continued to be thirsty

Hinata is clearly one track minded hence why she is overly considerate of others and doesn't try to push her love (which isn't based on some lame thing like looks) on other people

T'Zariah

Banned
Naruto ended up with Hinata.

get over it already

Who mentioned pairings? Where was that even implied?

LOL

What the fuck?

How is the statement "Hinata's character revolves around Naruto" which IS COMPLETELY true, have to do with with Naruto and Hinata's marriage?

Come on, son. This is the definition of a strawman argument

Village

What? You make it sounds like Naruto is some kind of edgy and dark manga and obviously it isn't. This doesn't justify the fucked up relationships since every kid character despite Sasuke were not mental broken by this world to the point of accepting abusive relationships as "normal".

It is. It was always edgy, that was kind of the appeal. To pretend other wise is rather disingenuous.

Or do I have to go through everyone's backstories, and how they are all tagic because reasons.

And no one is ever good or bad, and how everything is gray. Also ninja's are just kind of edgy. Also liking edgy things is ok, you ok naruto which is edgy thing. You will be fine, you wont die

He kinda did. There are a lot of broken people in naruto, giving angst war torn teens super powers isn't exactly the brightest idea. And it kind of never works out

Its exactly like that. The whole thing Naruto and Sasuke were going for was that the ninja world is a messed up place and they wanted to change it. Even back during the Zabuza arc they talked about what ninjas are and the horrors ninja clans had committed. And how naruto or sasuke weren't fond of the concept.

Or are we pretending that didn't happen,

The only time Naruto ever came close to touching on the child soldier aspect of the world was the Hashirama flashback.

While there are plenty of other examples of why what you are saying is crap.

I'll provide the prominent example.

Sasuke's entire character.

360pages

Eh, Hinata character might be stock, but she didn't really do anything the garner hate. She is inoffensive and had a generic character arc.

I think why so many people like her over Sakura is because Sakura does some things that can be annoying, I mean in her first appearance she made fun of a orphan behind his back. Doesn't even get to throw a punch at Kakashi and was just kind of their in the land of waves.

She gets better once she cuts her hair, until you realize that the reason she broke off her friendship with Ino was because of Sasuke, and Ino had to be the one that decided that her friendship with Sakura was more important than her crush on Sasuke. (She was still flirty, but she stopped pursuing him)

After that, she was just kind of there. Until Shippuiden, where she starts promising then after the second Sasuke arc she once again just kind of exist until the war arc.

Hinata doesn't have 1/10 of the screen time, and even then while her arc does revolve around Naruto, Naruto generally shows good traits and she wants to be like him. Plus her love for Naruto at least had some bases since he did stick up with her as a kid (And the last did show they had a conversation) even if they are generic

Sakura's love is mostly because Sasuke was super hot and talented,

Exposure can really shape how the reader/viewer see a character.

Village

No one is worse then sakura who married the guy who tried to kill her on multiple occasions.

* In ninja land, where friends and family could actually try and murder you on multiple occasions, and you get past it , because its ninja land.

Context is fun.

360pages

No one is worse then sakura who married the guy who tried to kill her on multiple occasions.

Well, then there is this too. Even saying that they are Ninja's Sasuke legit treated her like trash for most of the war arc even when they were on the team. Didn't bother saving her from Lava, put her in a Genjutsu, and specifically picked one about stabbing her in the heart.

At least Naruto showed he cared about Hinata even if it was at a basic friend level.

Who mentioned pairings? Where was that even implied?

LOL

What the fuck?

How is the statement "Hinata's character revolves around Naruto" which IS COMPLETELY true, have to do with with Naruto and Hinata's marriage?

Come on, son. This is the definition of a strawman argument

Who are you? http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=119735456&postcount=170

Oh.

Eh, Hinata character might be stock, but she didn't really do anything the garner hate. She is inoffensive and had a generic character arc.

Pretty much. It's like hating Konohamaru or Kurenai. The only explanation is pairings.

* In ninja land, where friends and family could actually try and murder you on multiple occasions, and you get past it , because its ninja land.

Context is fun.

Sorry but that's a piss poor excuse for this shitty as fuck relationship.

It's like defending Joffery's actions in GoT's because "Hey the Lannisters are fucked up too! Let's give everyone a pass and excuse their actions!"

But no one does that. Ever.

Let's call this shit for what it really is: fangirls are excusing Sasuke and Sakura's relationship because they're both attractive leads and nothing more. If Sasuke was a butt-ugly, he'd be the most hated character in the show by far, but because he's "Soooo hot" that makes his actions somehow okay.

^You know you're insecure about your pairing when you have to mention it/bring it up when the topic doesn't even involve them. AT ALL.

Okay, got me there.

To be honest, I don't really hate Hinata (only characters I despise are Sasuke and to a lesser extent Sakura) I just hate the fact that she had so much potential (WHY DIDN'T I GET A HYUUGA ARC?!) that was just wasted on bullshit.

Top Bottom