• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Manga |OT2| Not A Romance Manga

Lets face it, Goku and Vegeta are closer friends than Naruto and Sasuke.

They really messed up the team dynamic with them only having like 2 missions together.

You can't really say they are closer. N&S are brothers reborn man. They've been doing this shit for centuries.

360pages

You can't really say they are closer. N&S are brothers reborn man. They've been doing this shit for centuries.

I always felt like that is a really cheap way to link two characters together. Especially since Naruto said himself that He and Sasuke were different from their past lives. I always felt it was super hollow to do something like that when the two characters only had two arcs to get to know one another.

I still want Himawari to be OP as fuck and fucking wreck everyone

tumblr_inline_nqbd0f0s2l1rsoel3_500.gif

I mean if your name is going to be a homage to Neji at least have some Hyuga tech :/

Also the fact that Neji is dead means that we won't ever likely get new Hyuga moves in the Storm games unless someone new takes the mantel

Yado

I mean if your name is going to be a homage to Neji at least have some Hyuga tech :/

Also the fact that Neji is dead means that we won't ever likely get new Hyuga moves in the Storm games unless someone new takes the mantel

You can look forward to adult Hinata fighting with knitting needles/Naruto's bento box.

Ugh

I mean I had enough of Duckbutt, his clan and Miss #1Duckbutt Fan

I want to see other people and their clans. There is some stuff even missing/unanswered for the Uzumaki clan! The main protagonist's clan!

I want to know what happened to Pain's village after Nagato's and Konan's death, I want to know if the Hyuga still have the curse seal, I want to know how modern ninja land borders and policies work...... So many thing but instead we get more Uchiha :((

Granted the Sauce brings drama but why can't we also get some world building info

rambis

Banned
I always felt like that is a really cheap way to link two characters together. Especially since Naruto said himself that He and Sasuke were different from their past lives. I always felt it was super hollow to do something like that when the two characters only had two arcs to get to know one another.
The story makes more sense in the anime than the manga in this regard. There was plenty of stuff thrown in with them.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
From a writer's perspective, it's easy to empathize with the poor portrayal of Naruto and Sasuke's friendship. Sometimes, when you write things, you have this very clear picture in your head of what you want to create, and in the process of translating that picture into actual consumable material for others the idea doesn't come across as well as it did during its conception. Kishimoto has admitted that he didn't frame their friendship as well as he wanted to, but they were definitely always meant to have a close bond in his eyes.

I guess, from a reader's standpoint, we can only assume that most of their bonds were formed in their childhood, in the classroom and in the missions that they undertook in between Land of Waves and the Chunin Exams. It's not like it wasn't there in early Naruto either, though - the training scene in the woods where they're climbing trees is still one of my favorite in the entire series, especially when they come back to Tazuna's and eat up a storm from all the energy they expended.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
From a writer's perspective, it's easy to empathize with the poor portrayal of Naruto and Sasuke's friendship. Sometimes, when you write things, you have this very clear picture in your head of what you want to create, and in the process of translating that picture into actual consumable material for others the idea doesn't come across as well as it did during its conception. Kishimoto has admitted that he didn't frame their friendship as well as he wanted to, but they were definitely always meant to have a close bond in his eyes.

I guess, from a reader's standpoint, we can only assume that most of their bonds were formed in their childhood, in the classroom and in the missions that they undertook in between Land of Waves and the Chunin Exams. It's not like it wasn't there in early Naruto either, though - the training scene in the woods where they're climbing trees is still one of my favorite in the entire series, especially when they come back to Tazuna's and eat up a storm from all the energy they expended.

That's what an editor is supposed to do though. The editor is there to help take what's in his head and make sure it makes it onto the page properly. It's also what drafts are for, to see if what you've got planned works. I seriously doubt that anyone would have looked at what he had and what he was going for and said it worked. They needed another arc or two together and it would have been fine. It's more likely he pulled the focus on the bond thing out of his butt for after the time skip so he'd have a plot point to work with right out of the gate.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That's what an editor is supposed to do though. The editor is there to help take what's in his head and make sure it makes it onto the page properly. It's also what drafts are for, to see if what you've got planned works. I seriously doubt that anyone would have looked at what he had and what he was going for and said it worked. They needed another arc or two together and it would have been fine. It's more likely he pulled the focus on the bond thing out of his butt for after the time skip so he'd have a plot point to work with right out of the gate.
I don't know, he said from the very beginning that he based Naruto and Sasuke off of Kuririn and Goku from Dragon Ball, except that Sasuke was Goku and Naruto was Kuririn. You can definitely see where he was trying to go with that. I can't tell you why the editors didn't steer him in a certain direction or not, but the focus was on their friendship from the very beginning for sure... it just went south too soon, like you said. But, even then it remained the focus. The only time it went out of the picture was in The Search for Tsunade arc when Sasuke was conked out by Itachi.

360pages

I don't know, he said from the very beginning that he based Naruto and Sasuke off of Kuririn and Goku from Dragon Ball, except that Sasuke was Goku and Naruto was Kuririn. You can definitely see where he was trying to go with that. I can't tell you why the editors didn't steer him in a certain direction or not, but the focus was on their friendship from the very beginning for sure... it just went south too soon, like you said. But, even then it remained the focus. The only time it went out of the picture was in The Search for Tsunade arc when Sasuke was conked out by Itachi.

The thing is, even Naruto and Krillen had more time together, my main problem with the friendship is that we see all the characters other than Sasuke have more screen time with Naruto. Shikamaru ect we actually see those characters interact more.

Every interaction Sasuke has with Naruto after the time skip has been negative.

Furyous

Just finished the Last movie... WTF. WTF at all 10 seconds of Sasuke. What in the shit was he doing in order to appear at the last second.

Why was there a timeskip?
What were the five villages doing after the war?
Why did Naruto change his costume?
Where were the hints of Sakura x Sasuke?
Where were the hints of Kakashi x Shine?
Where was Kakashi's introduction as the sixth?
Where was the homecoming for Naruto after the war?

Kishi needs to explain at least 14 years of history via manga.

Timeskips have fucked this manga. At least give us a few years between timeskips.

Sharpeye

Just finished the Last movie... WTF. WTF at all 10 seconds of Sasuke. What in the shit was he doing in order to appear at the last second.

Timeskips have fucked this manga. At least give us a few years between timeskips.

There was a two year time skip in the Last movie because Kishi did not want Naruto and Hinata to have underage sex, I kid you not.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

He said that he created the Sause because his editor said Naruto needed a rival. The way he handled the sharingan alone tells you how much planning went into the series.

Its best to just ignore The Last -___-

SP's logic is just plain stupid. Maybe one day Kishi can finally make the movie he wants by writing the entire script.

I'm curious. Would you have preferred if Naruto just continued and we got see them grow, have kids etc or have a timeskip and allow a greater focus on the upcoming generation without taking so much time. Bear in mind Kishi did not want to drag things out.....although the more I think about (this whole new era project, the movie and gaiden) is Naruto actually ending or are we going to get a continuation of some sorts?

Naruto and Sasuke aren't "real" friends. Naruto, of course, will deny this but the truth is that he became too obsessed with Sasuke, trying to "save" him from the dark, and he projected something that doesn't exists. They spent too little time together. Sasuke respects Naruto and he could say that Naruto is the closer person in his life but they aren't intimate friends. Naruto had more friendship with Kakashi, Jiraiya, Shikamaru and Konohamaru.

Furyous

There was a two year time skip in the Last movie because Kishi did not want Naruto and Hinata to have underage sex, I kid you not.

Wait... WAT?

Lemme get this straight:

It's okay for 13 year old Itachi to become Anbu captain then slaughter his entire clan.
It's okay for 10 year old Jirayia to peep on Tsunade.
It's okay for Orochimaru to basically take the R. Kelly lifestyle to the next level.
It's perfectly acceptable for Obito to slaughter hidden rock jonins.
It's okay for for 15 year old Sasuke to kill a Hokage and kill two Akatsuki members
Feel free to add on...

But underage sex between two kids that leave the village for days on life or death missions is somehow unacceptable.

SP's logic is just plain stupid. Maybe one day Kishi can finally make the movie he wants by writing the entire script.

I'm curious. Would you have preferred if Naruto just continued and we got see them grow, have kids etc or have a timeskip and allow a greater focus on the upcoming generation without taking so much time. Bear in mind Kishi did not want to drag things out.....although the more I think about (this whole new era project, the movie and gaiden) is Naruto actually ending or are we going to get a continuation of some sorts?

I've would've preferred at least six months of seeing how the world was changing. What reaction to the war and outcome was in different villages. For instance, does every village cremate their dead bodies as a result of Kabuto taking grave robbing to uncharted levels?

Show relationships forming between groups. A lot of these pairings don't make sense so at least introduce justification for them. Show the Kages retirement ceremony. THERE'S NO EXCUSE FOR NARUTO NOT TO HAVE HIS INTRODUCTION AS HOKAGE. That was the entire point of the OG series and Shippudden.

This six month arc includes training and exploration of the remnants of Akatsuki. This way when the time skip comes 12 years later we have a better understanding of the world. The last was one big fuck you to everyone that read Shippudden. Three timeskips over the span of a movie and two chapters is bullshit. There's the one year timeskip where Sasuke leaves, the two year time skip of The Last and then the final time skip where the second series starts.

rambis

Banned

How much "bonding" can you fit in a print based medium? The fillers with all the various team 7 missions can work in anime, but I don't see it working that well in a weekly shonen manga. I think it's a bit more to this than "bad writing".

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How much "bonding" can you fit in a print based medium? The fillers with all the various team 7 missions can work in anime, but I don't see it working that well in a weekly shonen manga. I think it's a bit more to this than "bad writing".

That's an excuse. All he needed to do was give them two more arcs together before pulling the trigger and having the Sause leave. There's plenty of weekly series that have characters bond quickly and believable, it's not the medium.

Ponn

Banned
Wait... WAT?

Lemme get this straight:

It's okay for 13 year old Itachi to become Anbu captain then slaughter his entire clan.
It's okay for 10 year old Jirayia to peep on Tsunade.
It's okay for Orochimaru to basically take the R. Kelly lifestyle to the next level.
It's perfectly acceptable for Obito to slaughter hidden rock jonins.
It's okay for for 15 year old Sasuke to kill a Hokage and kill two Akatsuki members
Feel free to add on...

But underage sex between two kids that leave the village for days on life or death missions is somehow unacceptable.

Reading this in your avatar's voice is sublime.

rambis

Banned
That's an excuse. All he needed to do was give them two more arcs together before pulling the trigger and having the Sause leave. There's plenty of weekly series that have characters bond quickly and believable, it's not the medium.
They could've done more with what they had sure but no I do think that the manga isn't the best medium for good exposition. It was handled a lot better in the anime; To the point where I had to skip thru all the BS missions they went on and all the bonding.

PaulBizkit

Bolt, Mitsuki, and Sarada already have a better relationship with each other than team 7. Bolt and Mitsuki are bro's and Bolt is willing to listen to Sarada and she is rather understanding of Bolt's problems. I just wonder who their sensei is going to be.

I expect Mitsuki to be cool with everything and be a "support" character in the sense that he doesnt fight like Boruto and Sarada (going head on) but instead setting traps, analyzing the environment, keeping an eye on the target and teammates, something more akin to his personality.
This group has a lot of potential to show us that you can succeed and be strong when you count on your bros or whatever. Friendship is much more than just get my "friend" back from the DARKNESS.

On a different subject...

The characters are great, the ninja world is great, so many stories to tell and you make the uchihas appear again? Kishimoto, cmon../dailyRant

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
They could've done more with what they had sure but no I do think that the manga isn't the best medium for good exposition. It was handled a lot better in the anime; To the point where I had to skip thru all the BS missions they went on and all the bonding.

Dude, it's not the medium. People have done way more with way less chapters. Look at the team in YYH and then realize that it ran for only 175 chapters. Those guys were total bros well before the series ended. It was even in the same magazine as Naruto. Heck if you want something more recent I will point you to HxH, which has less than 400 chapters and managed to develop Gon and Killua's friendship by the end of the first arc. It's the writing, saying otherwise is just an excuse.

Going to answer some question in your qoute

Kishi apparently felt umcompftobale making a romance movie for Naruto at that age.... so he made a timeskip to make him older

who knows..... rebuilding and changing policies I guess..... you can see that Konoha changed a lot at that time

his old one was destroyed (he wore that coat in chapter 699).... and of course lol Shonen logic timeskip = new clothes

Who knows it wasn't a SS movie anyway

Kakashi isn't with anyone

In chapter 699 Kakashi was already Hokage so I there wasn't a reason to show it, especially since there was a timeskip after 699 for this movie

Again same like the the one above

Well there is some novels and I doubt a movie can cram it all in
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kishi was heavily involved.... he wrote the main premise of the story for the movie, villians, plot, designs ,etc....

movie couldn't crame a bunch of stuff in.... Sorry that your husbando Sasuke wasn't in it but we got enough DRAMA as it is with SS in Gaiden and SS/Sakura crying for the Sauce through out most of Naruto.... if the main protag himself got tired of the constant crying then I can believe a bunch of Naruto (the series) fans are overly tired of it too

the main sided relationship we saw beside Naruto and Sasuke was Sakura wanting Sasuke day in and day out and not just keeping it to herself but preaching her emotions to everyone and even pushing and manipulating everyone for her selfish emotions

I doubt anyone would want a movie of just a simple life

they could do that via one shots or comedy spinoffs

Arabesque

Edit: at above, Ninja'd

Boruto trailer that was leaked earlier, now uploaded in better quality

https://youtu.be/bDloT6bXnM4

Also longer trailer

https://youtu.be/Sj4obDjhuvU

From my understanding, it seems that Sarada
is the one who wants to become Hokage, which would fit with how her relationship with Naruto had developed thus far
I could be wrong though. Wait for subs or someone to clarify.

Boruto wants to be
something better than a Hokage, so Naruto has Sasuke tutor him.
We also see him using the
Rasangen
and Chidori, and
wearing Naruto's old jacket.

Hinata, Shikamaru, Garaa and the other Kages also show up

Edit: at above, Ninja'd

Boruto trailer that was leaked earlier, now uploaded in better quality

https://youtu.be/bDloT6bXnM4

Also longer trailer

https://youtu.be/Sj4obDjhuvU

From my understanding, it seems that Sarada
is the one who wants to become Hokage, which would fit with how her relationship with Naruto had developed thus far
I could be wrong though. Wait for subs or someone to clarify.

Boruto wants to be
something better than a Hokage, so Naruto has Sasuke tutor him.
We also see him using the
Rasangen
and Chidori, and
wearing Naruto's old jacket.

Hinata, Shikamaru, Garaa and the other Kages also show up

That was fucking awesome!!

and lol at Bolt's tiny rasengan, guess he isn't a prodigy like his dad after all

Arabesque

That was fucking awesome!!

and lol at Bolt's tiny rasengan, guess he isn't a prodigy like his dad after all

Looks about Konohamaru size/level. The fact he managed to master both is impressive I guess.

Pretty good trailer. Would still rather watch a Sarada
Road to Hokage
movie, but this film is looking good too.

Guessing the conflict between Naruto and his son will be more of a generation thing rather than anything serious at this point.

Looks about Konohamaru size/level. The fact he managed to master both is impressive I guess.

Pretty good trailer. Would still rather watch a Sarada
Road to Hokage
movie, but this film is looking good too.

Guessing the conflict between Naruto and his son will be more of a generation thing rather than anything serious at this point.

Wasn't Konohamaru's bigger?

but anyway, dammit Bolt why did have to make Hinata sad ><

Arabesque

He gets both Chidori and Rasengan, and gets Naruto's jacket, and Sasukes headband.

Poor Sarada.

Sarada will end up being Hokage, ruling Konoha and continuing the road to eternal peace

Boruto ends up being an over powered chuu2 hobo who shouts at the sky while declaring he's going to change the world

Sarada wins in the end (though I'm sure Boruto will learn why his dad is actually awesome. Everyone does eventually)

Wasn't Konohamaru's bigger?

Slightly so? It's still smaller than the Minato/Jiryaia/Naruto versions, so I guess it is meant to be implying Boruto doesn't have enough chakra to master it yet.

but anyway, dammit Bolt why did have to make Hinata sad ><

Something something shitty dad, abolish the Hokage, change the world, ban all pastry

Should be enough to upset any mother to have her son be a cake hating anarchist.

Joni

Watch Himawari become the next Hokage with Bolt forgotten in history, just like Tsunade and her what's his name brother.

Sarada for Hokage!!! Make it happen Kishi.

Is that Sasuke's headband Bolt has, because isn't Sasuke's blue?

This trailer got me much more hyped, seeing the newer generation. Rock Lee Jr was there ;____; Konohamaru as Team Neo 7 Sensei.

The animation with Sasuke's fight was a bit iffy though.

Also a general synopsis of the film (nothing major just the overview) and iirc the chunin fight is Bolt vs Shikadai.

Top Bottom