• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Manga |OT2| Not A Romance Manga

rambis

Banned
Dude, it's not the medium. People have done way more with way less chapters. Look at the team in YYH and then realize that it ran for only 175 chapters. Those guys were total bros well before the series ended. It was even in the same magazine as Naruto. Heck if you want something more recent I will point you to HxH, which has less than 400 chapters and managed to develop Gon and Killua's friendship by the end of the first arc. It's the writing, saying otherwise is just an excuse.
I disagree. I'll repeat myself since that's what we seem to be doing but manga is on the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to expositional writing.

I experienced most of part 1 via the anime and it was shocking how much more was in there compared to the manga. Its like this for most every story that spans across different mediums, HxH being another great example.

You say the manga could've done better and this may be true but I still maintain that manga is generally a shit medium compared to other literary types. 20 or so dull, colorless, lifeless pages can't really compare to a TV show or movie or novel.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I disagree. I'll repeat myself since that's what we seem to be doing but manga is on the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to expositional writing.

I experienced most of part 1 via the anime and it was shocking how much more was in there compared to the manga. Its like this for most every story that spans across different mediums, HxH being another great example.

You say the manga could've done better and this may be true but I still maintain that manga is generally a shit medium compared to other literary types. 20 or so dull, colorless, lifeless pages can't really compare to a TV show or movie or novel.

It sounds more like you haven't read enough manga, because there is a lot of really good stuff out there.

Also, you haven't really addressed my point at all. I pointed to two good examples of manga that were able to create the sort of friendship Kishimoto was looking to create and that managed to do it in fewer chapters than Kishi used.

Even past that, there's stuff like City Hunter which managed to solidify the two main character's relationship in only a handful of story arcs. FMA was fucking masterful. Psyren managed to have really good character interactions.

Ippo managed to get the exact interaction between Ippo and Miyata done very quickly, in just under 20 chapters. Morikawa managed to do what Kishi wanted to in way less time.

Good writing is good writing. Every form has its limitations and good writing is working around them to tell your story in the best way possible.

All you are doing is putting down the entire medium to excuse Kishi's shit writing and pacing despite the fact there's dozens of mangaka who managed to execute what he failed to do in less time. It comes down to the fact that it wasn't planned out properly and the serialized nature of his work doesn't allow for second drafts of larger story arcs, which means proper planning is key.

Wait... WAT?

Lemme get this straight:

It's okay for 13 year old Itachi to become Anbu captain then slaughter his entire clan.
It's okay for 10 year old Jirayia to peep on Tsunade.
It's okay for Orochimaru to basically take the R. Kelly lifestyle to the next level.
It's perfectly acceptable for Obito to slaughter hidden rock jonins.
It's okay for for 15 year old Sasuke to kill a Hokage and kill two Akatsuki members
Feel free to add on...

But underage sex between two kids that leave the village for days on life or death missions is somehow unacceptable.

I've would've preferred at least six months of seeing how the world was changing. What reaction to the war and outcome was in different villages. For instance, does every village cremate their dead bodies as a result of Kabuto taking grave robbing to uncharted levels?

Show relationships forming between groups. A lot of these pairings don't make sense so at least introduce justification for them. Show the Kages retirement ceremony. THERE'S NO EXCUSE FOR NARUTO NOT TO HAVE HIS INTRODUCTION AS HOKAGE. That was the entire point of the OG series and Shippudden.

This six month arc includes training and exploration of the remnants of Akatsuki. This way when the time skip comes 12 years later we have a better understanding of the world. The last was one big fuck you to everyone that read Shippudden. Three timeskips over the span of a movie and two chapters is bullshit. There's the one year timeskip where Sasuke leaves, the two year time skip of The Last and then the final time skip where the second series starts.

I'm kind of two sided on it. At first I thought it was a time of peace, and so not much would happen other than Konoha 11 getting married and all that but it seems like there are important things that happened during that time. I mean half the mystery of gaiden and this new villain is tied to that period Sauske went dimension travelling. You have the novels but its dubious if they are canon or not (I'm going with not).

We are getting a one shot by Kishi on Naruto's inauguration. Its possible the anime may fill some stuff in but at that point I'm worried how they will handle it. If only Kishi was more motivated to draw the rest ;___;

rambis

Banned
It sounds more like you haven't read enough manga, because there is a lot of really good stuff out there.

Also, you haven't really addressed my point at all. I pointed to two good examples of manga that were able to create the sort of friendship Kishimoto was looking to create and that managed to do it in fewer chapters than Kishi used.

Even past that, there's stuff like City Hunter which managed to solidify the two main character's relationship in only a handful of story arcs. FMA was fucking masterful. Psyren managed to have really good character interactions.

Ippo managed to get the exact interaction between Ippo and Miyata done very quickly, in just under 20 chapters. Morikawa managed to do what Kishi wanted to in way less time.

Good writing is good writing. Every form has its limitations and good writing is working around them to tell your story in the best way possible.

All you are doing is putting down the entire medium to excuse Kishi's shit writing and pacing despite the fact there's dozens of mangaka who managed to execute what he failed to do in less time. It comes down to the fact that it wasn't planned out properly and the serialized nature of his work doesn't allow for second drafts of larger story arcs, which means proper planning is key.
I've read enough shonen manga to realize I think its a shit medium. Idk why that needs to be called into question. I also don't see what about your points needs to be addressed.

I know that there are better written mangas and that there's room for improvement here. I've acknowledged this twice. But I still maintain that this same story flows better I'm different mediums, which I think is the case for several stories. Its the same in HxH, the same with AoT, it was the same with Dragonball. Etc..

Erigu

I've read enough shonen manga to realize I think its a shit medium.
The medium is comics. "Shōnen manga" just tells you where it was produced and what demographic is considered the main target.

I still maintain that this same story flows better I'm different mediums
Yes, you said "I still maintain that manga is generally a shit medium compared to other literary types. 20 or so dull, colorless, lifeless pages can't really compare to a TV show or movie or novel." And you're completely wrong, sorry.

"20 or so [...] pages"? For one episode, anyway. And that depends on the series. And the density of information depends on the author's style anyway. Where do you think you're going, with that?
"Dull"? Japanese comics are just "dull" overall, now? Whah?
"Colorless"? The lack of color makes it inferior to other literary types? Seriously? I don't imagine you're referring to novels, here, so (recent) TV shows and movies win by default, is that it? (And is that where the "dull" comes from, by chance?)
"Lifeless"? Is it because the pictures don't move? Are you shitting me?

No, dude. No. This is a silly, silly argument. I could just as well argue that movies and TV shows are inherently inferior to comics because they always use the same ("tired") aspect ratios and the size of the screen never changes during the story ("how dull"), whereas comics offer an incredible freedom in terms of page composition.

CDiggity

Saw the trailer. It's OK I guess, not really building any personal hype. I get the feeling that there will be a lot of, if not more, discussion on what the movie should have done and complaints of X character not having Y ability or something comparable rather than the movie proper.

Yo that Boruto movie looked hype! Still waiting for Naruto: The Last to come out here so this one will be a painful wait as well.

Poor Sarada lol

Did anyone notice a cut down tree in the trailer where Sasuke and Naruto are walking towards......it kind of reminded me of the tree at the end of the manga, bearing the evil fruit.

Boruto's a lil shit >:/

Yeah but he will learn his lesson in the movie and change for the better.

Hinata's "I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed" face must be the most soul-crushing guilt inducing look in the world.

How could you Boruto.

Looks like Bolt has already learnt a new technique from his Sensei

Like how Sasuke threw down that plate of sliced apples, Bolt tossed that cake.... what a great student ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sarada wanting to be Hokage is nice

A uchiha actually being one would be awesome..... lol that Bolt got both Naruto and Sasuke's precious items while Sarada got nothing

Also Lee jr!

Edit: Also at 0:28 it showed Konohamaru with their team in the hokage office..... could he be their team teacher?

Village

Sarada wanting to be Hokage is nice

A uchiha actually being one would be awesome..... lol that Bolt got both Naruto and Sasuke's precious items while Sarada got nothing

Also Lee jr!

Edit: Also at 0:28 it showed Konohamaru with their team in the hokage office..... could he be their team teacher?
She has the most precious of items

The sharingan

He probably has access to a stockpile, you could say they would be floating in a giant jar, perhaps a tank of them.

I know but in order to ugrade your eyes you'd have to replace them with eyes of someone you are close too

Sasuke = Itachi eyes

Madara = his bros eyes

unless you already know this...... and what you mean is that he has all those eyes Obito collected

CDiggity

I know but in order to ugrade your eyes you'd have to replace them with eyes of someone you are close too

Sasuke = Itachi eyes

Madara = his bros eyes

unless you already know this...... and what you mean is that he has all those eyes Obito collected

Don't bring logic into this. We all know the sharingan tank is real. We just haven't seen it yet.

I can see these last few chapters either doing two things

Sarada learning that bonds are stronger then blood and loves Sakura as her true mother even if they're not related

or more logically her still learning about strong bonds but Sakura is her real mother since all the since were it could've been answered three of the designated people where missing
Don't bring logic into this. We all know the sharingan tank is real. We just haven't seen it yet.

what if there is more then one Sharigan tank

I'm seriously worried we aren't going to get any Boruto merchandise. Naruto as a franchise was always lacking in terms of figures. I need to have a Sarada figure or my life won't be complete.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
why stop there

there is a sharigan war factory with battleships and airplanes..... even gigantic airships akin to "Goliath" in the movie Laputa but with a bunch of sharigans

giphy.gif

Sasuke was really really badly drawn in this, wow.

in the movie

I agree since the Last SP went for some weird nose design as their main character template

we can somewhat see it appearing in the anime too

that and everyone looks squarish

which is fine for the kids but the adults :/

Naruto action scenes work better in comic form because its based on the idea of characters moving a incredible speeds that they look like teleports. When you transfer this idea to animation, you get awkward moments where what was supposed to look like a moment in a split second is extended for too long.

hqdefault.jpg

What is this? It made sense in the manga because it was a mid air body shift. In the anime, they're floating, frozen in that pose for two seconds.

There are other things that don't make the transition well to the anime. Like tree hopping, or the naruto style running. Naruto running works in stills but in animation it's people teeter tottering with their arms flailing around like balloons. Tree hopping, instead of a feat of acrobats, looks like their levitating.

Additionally, it's pretty laughable to hate on colorless manga, since it's apparent that Kishimoto doesn't base any of his character designs on having a color scheme in mind. You can tell because of things like Gaara having white hair in the manga, while Karin having black hair...but they're both supposed to be red headed. Jiroubou has black hair and Juugo has white hair, but they're both carrot tops. It's because Kishimoto's original designs are based on contrast of black and white as opposed to this sloppy-represent every-color-of-the-rainbow-in-everyone's-hair-color design that comes with the anime.

I'll end by saying, anyone who has any understanding of Kishimoto as a writer, knows that he structures Naruto based on being a page turner. The common way he does this, is the scene where someone attempts to stab another character, the camera shows only the blood splatter, and then the camera switches back to the characters and shows that that wasn't what happened. The blood splatter panel, is always the last panel you would read in a Naruto manga page spread, because Kishimoto wants you to turn the page in anticipation and excitement. That kind of direction loses its effect in the anime, which not only deemphasizes the impact of each individual panel but also shows you the scenes automatically, instead of going at your own pace. The power of a comic format is that, it has more control over what scenes are emphasized over others. By page design, by the size of each still panel. This isn't something just for suspense purposes, but for dropping one-liners, which Naruto and a bunch of characters do out of resolution. I notice anime people tend to gloss over moments like that, because they think every line is created equal. They don't understand that moments like those exist to punctuate the main idea of the chapter. You had that last week with Naruto saying to Sarada that her bond still is important.

tl;dr naruto anime sucks

Bolt is a mother's boy from what we got from Gaiden he probably felt like shit afterwards

Also I do believe we did get spoiled with Naruto and Bolt founding a common ground/bond near the end of the movie
hence him temporarily wearing his Pop's jacket
Orochimaru
2z7exox.png

Orochimaru and Orochimaru ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Top Bottom