• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Manga |OT2| Not A Romance Manga

Furyous

pls explain

For all Kishimoto's attempts to label Naruto untalented, Naruto has done so many incredible things that it's clear he was always a prodigy.

He mastered the Kage Bunshin in a matter of hours. Learned how to summon. Learned the Rasengan in a couple of weeks. Mastered his element in less time than that. Mastered Sage Mode in a week. Mastered control over Kurama's chakra in a matter of days.

Naruto is arguably the greatest natural prodigy in the entire damn series and he worked at it by his own hand.

He is by no means a cheat or someone that takes shortcut. That's pretty much anyone with a Sharingan that copies jutsu (Kakashi/Sasuke), has new shit given to them (Kakashi/Sasuke) or merely needs to unlock the next stage of the damn thing to get a massive boost (again Kakashi/Sasuke).

I'm here for the Sasuke hate. *hi fives* I knew Sasuke was bullshit when he gained the ability to see chakras color. Kishi invented the ass pull at that moment. The sharingan sucks because they don't have to practice. This leads me to....

Can't wait for black market versions of the device pre loaded with Edo Tensei.

I can't wait for the Galaxy S6 equivalent of black market tech that comes with tasker installed and all allows you to automatically use the right app for certain situations. Naruto mad as shit he worked hard to master techniques that people figured out in minutes. This is how college students that lived in the previous generation felt the second smartphones came out and dragging textbooks to class became damn near obsolete.

*Scust at you young whipper snappers*

Frog-fu

Banned
I'm not trying to make Naruto out to be a bad guy, don't get me wrong. I'm not even going to go into how shitastic Sharingan bullshit is. I'm just saying its a bit hypocritical of Naruto to put his own son down for using a shortcut to get more power when Naruto did it all the time at that age to try and keep up with Sasuke and propel him into God Ninja status. Rasengan he didn't learn to create like it was meant to, he used his clones as a shortcut to be able to use it. Hell after how many years he was still using clones, did he ever learn to make it properly like Jiraiya? Yes having Nine tails made his life harder but it also enabled him to skip ahead others and "cheat" to accomplish certain things like summoning and multi-clone. His match with Neji, though awesome, would have ended completely different if he didn't have Nine Tails. His reserve of chakra through nine tails is what lets him use as many multi-clones as he does and without that his later training would have suffered greatly. And staying on multi-clone jutsu, if he hadn't of cheated and stolen that scroll in the first place he wouldn't have had it.

Really I think the only one who has room to talk smack in the ethics department is Lee.

Kurama has never actually been a shortcut though. A power booster, sure, but Naruto still had to train to utilise his power, and it took hundreds of chapters before he even got to that stage. All up until that point, with the exception of occassioanlly healing him, Kurama was more of a liability than anything by making it harder for him to control his chakra (hence why needed to use KB for the Rasengan, i.e. adapt as any good shinobi would) and fighting him whenever he saw weakness.

If Naruto didn't have the Kyūbi, Jiraiya would have likely taught him a (bunch of?) different moves to whoop Neji with.

Naruto by himself has tremendous chakra reserves, being an Uzumaki and all. He never needed Kurama to use ninjutsu. I'm not even sure why Jiraiya had him train to use Kurama's chakra to summon Gamabunta, but that's a separate matter entirely that I've simply chalked up to the long list of Kishimoto's inconsistencies.

Naruto was duped into stealing the Scroll of Sealing. He didn't cheat on that front either, and he had to master that jutsu by himself which only goes to show how much more talented he is than Kishimoto would have us believe.

I'm not entirely clear on the spoilers so I can't say if Boruto actually cheats or not, but Naruto certainly isn't doesn't.

I'm here for the Sasuke hate. *hi fives* I knew Sasuke was bullshit when he gained the ability to see chakras color. Kishi invented the ass pull at that moment. The sharingan sucks because they don't have to practice. This leads me to....

I think the Sharingan had always been able to do that, I assumed it's what made it so effective at copying ninjutsu.

The more egregious Sharinghax was when Sasuke somehow "copied" Lee's taijutsu, including his speed, and was able to match him within a month's time. How the hell did that even happen? I don't recall Kishimoto ever going into much depth; the best we got was some vague throwaway statement from Kakashi to hype up his boy Sasuke before he bust out Chidori to show he had learned that one as well - which is kinda fucked when you think about how emphasis Kishi had placed on Lee's genius in hardwork only for Sasuke to catch up to him and pick up a badass new jutsu along the way.

Oddly enough that massive speed boost seemed to be gone when he faced Naruto, apparently to never be touched up again. Much like that time Sasuke defeated Orochimaru and absorbed all of his knowledge, including the supposedly thousands of jutsu that he knew - which Sasuke never actually used.

Sai

Didn't copy Lee's speed, only his Taijutsu; and Kakashi mirroring some of that for him is the only way the readers can explain Sasuke reproducing anything beyond the Kage Buyō, which was the only part of Lee's Taijutsu he witnessed with the Sharingan. Trained for the speed, and Seishitsu Henka for Chidori.

Also, Kakashi thought Lee was a prodigy because of how many of the Gates he was able to release.

Acting like Sasuke did not work incredibly hard through a lot of the series, heck thats pretty much all he did as a kid. Even in Shippuuden, he created his own jutsu, further increased his speed, mastered kenjutsu and somehow got another summon later on.

Its true much later in the series Naruto and Sasuke were granted power ups that elevated them to god status but they would have never gone down that path if it was not for the hard work/perseverance they showed before that.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This is somewhat tangential to the conversation, but I think the thing about Lee is that he is the absolute hardest worker in the series because he's working with the world against him. He's a total scrub in a world where most people who get ahead are naturally talented in some way, but he works incredibly hard not only to be a decent ninja, but a fantastic one, despite having all of the cards stacked against him.

It's why so many people like him, despite him losing every fight he's in. We know he's not on an equal playing field, and that's what makes him so endearing and interesting.

new trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFPbqldBAwQ

3+mins of mostly old manga stills though :/

new footage starts at 2:28

---------------------------
tumblr_ns86v4xxZa1rknyc7o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ns880gWsmx1u57eqzo1_400.jpg
0k4tKRD.png

Arabesque

The Last: Naruto the Movie cumulative sales for its first week came to be 42,606. This makes The Last the movie with the best first week opening in the entire franchise (also, means it's one of the best selling anime of the year).

Pretty good, we'll see how much it sells over it life time (and including the English release, it'll be the best success the franchise had).

The Limted Edition was the most that sold, both on the DVD and BD fronts. Interesting that the numbers between the 2 seems comparable, which I guess implies a health divide between female/male buyers (though that might not be true anymore).

Ever since Kishi has gotten on board with the movies they seem to be getting more and more popular.

Iirc RotN broke records for the franchise which then got beaten by The Last. Curious if Boruto can continue the trend.

Sai

Hi everyone, is this the only Naruto thread for either the manga or anime? I did a search but couldn't find anything for Naruto Shippuden specifically. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what song this was in the link below? Many thanks.

https://youtu.be/lTNqGkj3RDY?t=505
There's an anime thread. This one was made for the manga, but since it's ended, everything's discussed here. :p

As for that music, I don't think that's on any of the two Shippuden soundtracks released thus far.

KageMaru

There's an anime thread. This one was made for the manga, but since it's ended, everything's discussed here. :p

As for that music, I don't think that's on any of the two Shippuden soundtracks released thus far.

Oops sorry, I searched for Naruto but missed that thread somehow. Thank you though for the response =) explains why I couldn't find it in any soundtrack list.

jercruz

That
One piece
joke got me good. Also both Sakura and Hinata are elite jounin. Also I think that was the first time we ever learned anything about
Konohamaru's
parents.

I thought it would be a serious 1-shot. Then next page their all like SD. Also that
One Piece
got me too...

"Wait is your father...
Monkey D
..." "NOPE!"

Yado

that SD chapter was nice

too bad is was a little bit short

lol what does Kishi mean by stealing the role and self proclaimed ;)))

Maybe it's a gag from the movie because Hinata definitely wasn't written as the heroine of the manga. Even the spoilers from the movie made it seem like she's still flopping but ok

Maybe it's a gag from the movie because Hinata definitely wasn't written as the heroine of the manga. Even the spoilers from the movie made it seem like she's still flopping but ok

the first few pages were made by Kishi in order to give people a sense of the kids for the upcoming movie

apparently they're canon

the later SD pages are not though

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Mitsuki is the best.

Frog-fu

Banned
That one-shot, lol.

Someone copy-pasted a decent tumblr rant on a diff forum w/o giving credit, but w/e, I think this is pretty much spot on.
tumblr_inline_nsbxxxvOH11qlnqc0_540.png

tumblr_inline_nsbxy5zIWf1qlnqc0_540.png

Alright, my turn to rant for a little bit.

These two images pretty much encompass the massive amount of retcons we’ve seen in the past year.

First, Hinata is being described as the “Princess of the Hyuga” despite literally being the black sheep of the family in part 1. Hanabi, up until…wait no, nevermind, pretty sure she still is, was set up to take over the Hyuga Clan instead of Hinata because she was a prodigy compared to her. The entire point of Hinata’s character arc in part 1 was she wanted to become stronger so she could earn her place as the rightful heir to the clan. That never happened. Even after Neji helped her develop her techniques and train she still wasn’t good enough to take over the clan, as proven in The Last when it was Hanabi still being set up to take over. Hinata has yet to even win a battle in canon. She was even bested by a fucking rock despite having the Byakugan. A rock. She in no way shook the world with her power. She had very little even in Shippuden. And apparently in the Boruto movie she still can’t win a fight.

Second, Sakura is described as “the only student that the fifth hokage ever accepted” despite Ino and Shizune being Tsunade’s students as well. Sakura may have been the only one to use Tsunade’s more powerful techniques, but that does not suddenly erase the fact that she trained Ino and Shizune as her students.

Third, Sakura does not have superhuman strength. The technique she uses allows her to build up chakra in her fists to simulate superhuman strength, but she does not have superhuman strength. I bring this up despite this possibly being a translation issue because if it isn’t a translation issue this goes back to the idea that Sarada being able to use the same technique without training suddenly proves she’s Sakura’s daughter. It doesn’t. If that were the case then Tsunade and Sakura are related, and we know that’s not true. Sakura and Tsunade had to work hard to be able to use that technique and Sarada being able to use it without training is not in any way a sign that she’s Sakura’s daughter, it’s a sign that she’s a Mary Sue with a retconned “inherited” ability. It’s not an inherited ability or trait, it’s a technique.

Fourth, both Hinata and Sakura are described as “elite jounin by birth”. This makes the least amount of sense being applied to Sakura, who doesn’t come from a renown clan. She’s a Haruno, she has a clan symbol, but that in no way makes her family elite. This was a point of her character that was established early on, that she came from a civilian background and therefore had to work hard and educate herself to keep up with the other students. And she was not elite by birth as she was weak as hell in part 1, standing to the sidelines and mostly acting as cheerleader, and that’s precisely why she was paired up with Naruto and Sasuke. The students were paired up into their teams to balance each other out. Sakura was paired up with the students at the top and bottom of the class precisely because she was perfectly average. She did not inherit her titles, her strength, her abilities, or anything, she earned those things throughout the manga. They were not bestowed upon her by birth. So this is an outright lie. Hinata, as I mentioned in my first point, was not considered an elite even by her own family. She was considered weak, too weak even to take over the clan when she got older. This, like Sakura’s civilian backstory, was a part of Hinata’s character early on. But now suddenly their humble-ish backgrounds are being erased in favor of being “elite by birth”.

Fifth, Hinata is described as the “new age heroine”. What the fuck does that even mean? New age heroine? I can’t tell if they mean “new age” as in the new age of the world post-war or “new age” as in alternative style of heroine. Either way it makes 0 fucking sense. They’ve been pushing the idea of Hinata being the heroine since The Last but it still holds no water. Hinata has very little effect on the original story and only serves as an incubator post-The Last. She was a minor character, not a heroine. And to try and retcon her as being the heroine by sugar-coating her lack of achievements as being “new age” just proves the point that she’s not a typical heroine. Her only achievement was getting married to the main character. That’s it. Not exactly what I’d describe as a heroine, right? But oh no, don’t worry, she’s a “new age” heroine. Totally excused. Right? No. Sakura doesn’t even have the title of “heroine” in her description. Only Hinata gets that. Bullshit.

Sixth, and maybe this is just nitpicking, but it feels like Naruto’s character and accomplishments are being overshadowed by Hinata. Is it just me? I mean look at the size of their descriptions. Naruto gets three descriptors: shinobi that ended the war, a hero, and hokage. Hinata gets five: princess, elite by birth, blessed with kekkai genkai, shook the world with her power, heroine. It’s just bizarre. We know for a fact that Hinata still holds little relevance to the overall plot of the new movie or Boruto’s story, so why is her relevance and power being blown so out of proportion even compared to Naruto? Perhaps it has to do with my previous point, that this is an attempt to try and trick people into thinking Hinata’s always been special and that she’s always been the heroine. As if people will forget the 15 years worth of manga that Hinata was barely in if they throw a bunch of titles at her post-manga. But to try and have her overshadow even the main character who actually was relevant, as well as Sasuke or Sakura who were also main characters? It just feels wrong.

Finally, the overarching impression I get, aside from the obvious retcon of Hinata’s relevance and the other things I mentioned, is that the idea of “underdogs can work hard and surpass people born with privilege or who are geniuses” is gone. Just gone. Poof. No longer is Naruto an underdog who had to struggle all his life, no longer is Hinata an underdog to her family (supposedly), no longer is Sakura an underdog who had to work hard to keep up with her peers, no. Now Naruto had a hokage as a father and power dropped into his lap, Hinata was an elite jounin by birth who had power dropped into her lap, Sakura was an elite jounin by birth with superhuman strength….and Sasuke’s always been a genius, but he also had to work hard to get as strong as he is and that always seems to be forgotten. Boruto and Sarada both come from backgrounds describing their parents as “elite”, therefore making them “elite by birth” in the same way. They are born with privilege into a world that will respect them just for who their parents are and will only struggle to live up to their names, not to actually obtain power the way their parents had to in the beginning. Sarada didn’t need to train to be able to use Sakura and Tsunade’s technique, Boruto is already described as a prodigy and we know by the end of the movie he’s going to be using techniques like Rasengan and Chidori, techniques that took Naruto and Sasuke months to be able to use and years to master (not to mention that he shouldn’t be able to use Chidori at all for the same reasons Kakashi wasn’t supposed to until he got a Sharingan).

The story’s no longer about underdogs rising up, it’s about elites becoming more elite.

What a travesty that the manga has been erased so completely in this post-story bullshit.

But hey, at least it makes it easier to treat everything post-699 as a completely separate story and universe. It no longer resembles the original material in any way so….yeah. At least this makes it easier to ignore it’s existence.

EDIT:

So it seems Mangastream’s translation is very different, so I guess I’ll talk about it as a separate thing. As of the writing of this edit Mangastream is down so I’ll have to go by hearsay until I can read it myself.

The two major differences are the descriptors of Hinata and Sakura being heroines and the reference of who are “elite”.

In the Mangastream translation it apparently says Hinata is a “heroine of [Boruto’s] time” and Sakura is a “self-proclaimed heroine”. Now, this is in fact WORSE than the other translation because it flat out states that Hinata is the “true” heroine while Sakura is a false heroine who is just “self-proclaimed”. It paints Sakura’s heroism as something only she believes in, that Hinata the actual heroine while Sakura’s a fraud deluding herself. This is twice as fucked up as giving Hinata the “new age heroine” title and leaving Sakura without one.

As for the reference of the children being “elite by birth” and not their parents, my points for the most part still stand. While it doesn’t necessarily erase the underdog origins of the parents it still shows the shift in the story from underdogs rising up to elites becoming more elite. But this translation at least eases the blow against the original characters’ backgrounds.

Yep, those are my thoughts for now until I can read the Mangastream translation myself.

It's an angry tumblr posts but fuck it if it doesn't make a lot of valid points.

People need to learn to look at other (more accurate) translations before writing an essay on some gag one shot.

Everyone who's read any decent amount of Naruto knows who the heroine is, how important Sasuke and Naruto are to the story and their accomplishments. For once the kunoichi are being put on a pedestal instead of the usual Naruto and Sasuke praise that was throughout the entire manga.

In Japan, the hero's lover is sometimes called heroine (its weird but whatever), so in that sense Hinata can be called the heroine. The main female character of the series is Sakura. I agree the self proclaimed thing makes no sense but its a comedy one shot so idk.

Elites becoming more becoming more elite doesn't stand (Lee and Sakura are the strongest in Konoha 11 bar Naruto and Sasuke). It is true some kids have more potential that others due to possessing for instance the sharingan, however that potential is useless if that person does not persevere and train hard. The story has always been about never giving up, whether its on your bonds or on your dreams.

SolVanderlyn

You know, I've been thinking this for a while, but I think a lot of people expect too much out of the side characters. The manga has always been primarily about Team 7 and remained so throughout its publication. Lee, Hinata, Kiba, Chouji, and especially anyone from another village are all sprinkles on the cake that is Naruto.

The only thing is, the way that the characters are introduced, and the nature of the extremely unique and individual powers everyone has, make us want to see more of them. So when we don't see them in the limelight, we get upset. Even if their character arc is over.

I'm the same way - I definitely wanted to see more Hyuugas fight, Shino actually do something, Tenten have a decent battle, etc. But for the most part, we keep getting new side characters, who then are relegated to background scenes in favor of new side characters. I can totally understand the creative motivation behind this, as the series is about Naruto and his experience with the ninja world. Getting attached to characters is understandable, but it's also ok to let the main characters take the spotlight.

Complaints against Sakura's (lack of) importance are valid, though.

Hinata is the heroine in the sense that she stole Naruto's affection from Sakura, who he had his eye on. Kind of a shallow definition of heroine, but eh. Once you become the main character's other half I suppose that's what you become.

Frog-fu

Banned
People need to learn to look at other (more accurate) translations before writing an essay on some gag one shot.

MS take a lot of liberties, and have been for years, so this is really isn't a valid complaint since they're often inaccurate themselves.

Kishimoto apparently wrote the first three pages or whatever. The gag manga that follows isn't by him. So I've been told.

Everyone who's read any decent amount of Naruto knows who the heroine is, how important Sasuke and Naruto are to the story and their accomplishments. For once the kunoichi are being put on a pedestal instead of the usual Naruto and Sasuke praise that was throughout the entire manga.

In Japan, the hero's lover is sometimes called heroine (its weird but whatever), so in that sense Hinata can be called the heroine. The main female character of the series is Sakura. I agree the self proclaimed thing makes no sense but its a comedy one shot so idk.

Kishimoto and other sources consistently referred to Sakura as the heroine long before Hinata was pushed to the forefront. They are directly contracting that now and it's even become a running joke that the VA are commenting on these days.

Elites becoming more becoming more elite doesn't stand (Lee and Sakura are the strongest in Konoha 11 bar Naruto and Sasuke). It is true some kids have more potential that others due to possessing for instance the sharingan, however that potential is useless if that person does not persevere and train hard. The story has always been about never giving up, whether its on your bonds or on your dreams.

Naruto was originally an underdog story - I say originally because that hasn't been the case for years, and these character descriptions aren't annoying because they put Hinata and Sakura on a pedestal or anything, they're annoying because they are misrepresentative of those characters and the manga the one-shot is based upon.

Also, by what measure did Hinata "shake up the world" or whatever. She's lost every fight she's ever been in, lol. It's that type of aggrandisment that irritates.

People just being Salty at Hinata on those sites

even with the other more accurate translation people tend to complain..... seriously I can't understand peoples love for past Sakura (not current since we haven't seen her yet do the infamous annoying things she is known for)

I mean they're just characters from fiction :/

Hinata was also called Byakugan Princess before this scan by the way... by Hamura himself

and before that she was always addressed by the Hyuga with the -sama honorific

Sharpeye

In the Kiba one shot, Hinata is referred as the heiress. That rant comes off as very childish and salty to mean, like posting a YouTube comment. I mean ranting about how one character got more descriptions in their panel than the other or how a child of powerful ninja is skilled themselves. All over a comedy one-shot I might add.
That rantt also made realize how glorious it will be if Kishi has a Q/A at comic con.

Top Bottom