• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Manga |OT2| Not A Romance Manga

phaze

Guys, you know what day today is. Its exactly one year from when the ending of Naruto got leaked. What a ride that thread was, from the meltdowns to the celebrations it truly was unforgettable.

tumblr_nxctgpJpf91qdnjjpo2_1280.png

I've finally managed to get through the pages you people produced back then and it was much more subdued than I was led to believe. meh

I've finally managed to get through the pages you people produced back then and it was much more subdued than I was led to believe. meh

Did to you read to the end lol. It got incredibly stupid at the end.
Still its funny to go back and read reactions throughout the threads. Last thread had the ending and this thread had Gaiden xD

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Last thread went into avatar bet territory and people lost. That was fun.

phaze

Did to you read to the end lol. It got incredibly stupid at the end.
Still its funny to go back and read reactions throughout the threads. Last thread had the ending and this thread had Gaiden xD

I think I got to the point where it kind of petered out. Will check again. ;p

So did this thread but everyone bar 2 posters bailed ;)

Is anyone still watching the anime?

There is a Hyuga Tobi, that's all I know.

Sharpeye

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/fea...erending-debate-over-the-end-of-naruto/.94993

http://boards.4chan.org/a/thread/133168661#p133168661

Man. One year later... Peeps did NOT forget.

I can't believe we're all still stuck in infinite tsukuyomi: filler edition. The anime will never end will it?

With the Sasuke novel coming out I wonder if they will announce more new era projects, also at the rate the filler is going Storm 4 is going to conclude the manga before SP does.

jdkluv

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/fea...erending-debate-over-the-end-of-naruto/.94993

I can't believe we're all still stuck in infinite tsukuyomi: filler edition. The anime will never end will it?

Ahhh, thinking of all the devastated shippers always brings a smile to my face. The amount of salt was glorious.

And you know what gets me the most? Back when I was twelve I already knew that Naruto and Hinata were endgame. You know why? All of the foreshadowing, sun imagery and the red herrings were so obvious that I can only believe that these guys were irredeemable idiots. I mean seriously, Kishi was always wanking Yin and Yang, Naruto is associated with sun symbolism and Hinata's name means "Towards the sun". Naruto's childish crush on Sakura was light as fuck, and Naruto ending up with Hinata is consistent with Naruto's theme of growing, changing and realizing you were wrong about some things.

Oh well, it was cathartic seeing all that immature rage of the years accumulate to be released in one glorious burst. Long live NaruHina. Rejoice.

Kishimoto has stated that he decided on Naruto's eventual life partner roughly halfway through the series.

NaruHina was "planned" from "early stages" (1998 concept art and Kishi declaring NaruHina a "love story" when he released Databook 1 on 2002), but remember he said he toyed with the idea of NaruSaku? That must have been towards the "middle", but then disregarded it and "decided" to go with his original keikaku instead (i.e. NaruHina and SasuSaku).

I've always loved how Kishi incorporates mythology into the series though it may not be analogous in all cases, it often is at least on a conceptional level.

I remember once reading how Sasuke was based of this Mikoto figure who was sent to Earth by Amaterasu (Itachi) with the initial goal of restoring order/keeping peace (Sasuke's initial dream of being in the police force and policing is something he wants to do even in the end). Not sure how it goes but I remember all the Uchiha techniques (Izanami, Izanagi, Susanoo) being associated with the myth. Mikoto eventually falls in love with a Cherry Blossom princess (obvious). There's another character which represents Naruto who also has a kid. Then their kids have a kid who is an almighty emperor (sound familiar?).

Although, like I said before, the stories aren't analogous, and I've probably butchered the mythology from my hazy memory, its interesting to see how Kishi has gotten inspiration from mythology and incorporated it into the series.

Sai

Vast majority of the most interesting theories that were based on the mythology were never realized. Lot of people invested so much in the theories that the way things played out in the actual story were made that much more disappointing.

Can't believe I read through that entire article from ANN, even though I detested the shipping element of this series as much as I did. It was a good read.

I found the story. Its the myth of Ninigi-no-Mikoto. He was endowed with three gifts: Kusanagi, the Yata Mirror and Magatama jewel (which is shaped like the tomoe's on the sharingan). Mikoto was also called the son of the heaven and Sasuke's cursed seal is the heaven variant.

Team 7
tumblr_inline_naxadcqaFO1sh4nxn.jpg

tumblr_inline_naxah5cHCa1sh4nxn.jpg

hinata just barely being a thing in the actual story is what led me to believe she had no chance

While Hinata was not a prominent character I do not believe that would effect her chances.

Vast majority of the most interesting theories that were based on the mythology were never realized. Lot of people invested so much in the theories that the way things played out in the actual story were made that much more disappointing.

Well the story would be very predictable and no fun if one could immediately see how it was going to end, especially from an authorial point of view I am sure Kishi wanted to change some things. Kishi referenced numerous myths. For instance the Uchiha clan being similar to Tengu or Naruto and Sasuke being paralleled by Asura and Indra as well as Fujin and Raijin. I just remembered that one due to it have a surprising amount of hints of Kishi referencing such a tale.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Best post from that thread

Team 7 ended up paralleling the sannin just not the ones we expected.

>Naruto became a busy hokage that's always sutck in the office and got BTFO protecting the village from a rinnegan nuke like Tsunade

>Sasuke became a wandering traveling hobo that is never in the village, nor there for his "family" like Jiraiya

>Sakura became a single mom like Orochimaru

jdkluv

hinata just barely being am actual thing in the story is what led me to believe she had no chance

Hinata's a side character given oddly emotionally important moments if she was just a red herring love interest. Despite minimal interactions compared to Sakura, there's more than enough source material to tell a story that engages the reader from an emotionally invested stand point. You don't give the fake confession with negative undertones to the potential love interest that is always there, and yet give the "side character" love interest a passionate self-sacrifice confession if the side character was just going to be red herring. You don't have the side character randomly show up at uncharacteristic low points for the main character (right before the Chūnin Exams finals, Naruto questioning his ideals by Obito's taunting after Neji's death). Why would you give the supposed main character love interest so many negative connotations as a couple and treat it like a joke most of the way? (Their actual friendship isn't treated like a joke, but their romantic interactions are). Hinata as a character just makes no sense with a NaruSaku endgame.

I just noticed that we don't get much interaction between Naruto and Hinata (even though their relationship developed greatly pretty much every single time they interacted, because they were always deep and meaningful) until there is a time for a change in Naruto's "character arc" (vs. Neji, vs. Pain, Neji's death and Obito's words). There's also a theory which states that Naruto and Hinata have been setup to show how Yin type characteristics (dark, feminine, passive) and Yang type characteristics (bright, masculine, active) balance and bring out the best in each other. The pre-series conception art of Hinata supports said theory.

KHYsDne.png

And speaking about Ninigi no Mikoto (Sasuke) and the Cherry Blossom princess (Sakura)...

2Wqs7N0.png

Guess what? The two lovers fell in love at a beach. The end pairings were sooo obvious...

^^

Heh, though it must be noted that Kishi does not always follow such parallels just in retrospect its clear he may have in such a case. Things always seem clearer in retrospect.

Also, I wouldn't say the conception of Hinata's character meant NS was not possible. Kishi himself said that at one point he thought of NS as end game but after considering Sakura's feelings he did not decide to go with it.

Plenty of side characters have had emotionally impacting scenes on Naruto, so I don't think thats what defines the role. It was more like the relationship of Hinata and Naruto that asserted Hinata in such a role. I still think to this day the death of Haku was one of the most emotional scenes in the series. It also planted the seed in Naruto's head as well as Team 7's on what it truly meant to be a ninja in this world, an incredibly important plot point that is addressed 698 chapters later.

Yado

Even if you disregard "emotional impact", why would Hinata's character exist if it wasn't to be with Naruto in the end? What other purpose does she serve whenever her character appears? It just makes sense tbh.

Even if you disregard "emotional impact", why would Hinata's character exist if it wasn't to be with Naruto in the end? What other purpose does she serve whenever her character appears? It just makes sense tbh.

Well that is what Kishi said. Perhaps if Naruto and Sakura was end game then Kishi would write Hinata to come to an understanding and move on.

Your question on purpose for some reason has made me wonder what the rest of the K12 are doing now. I mean disregarding Team 7:

Lee - Jounin, Chunin exams proctor
TenTen - owns a weapons shop
Ino - presumably head of Yamanaka clan, is shown going on missions in Gaiden
Shikamaru - Hokage advisor, Jounin, head of Nara clan
Choji - Goes on missions, head of Akimichi clan (?)
Hinata - ???
Shino - Teacher
Kiba - Trying to get laid
Sai - ???

Erigu

why would Hinata's character exist if it wasn't to be with Naruto in the end?
I agree in principle, but then again, many Naruto characters served little to no purpose in the end... Aside from populating video game rosters, anyway.

Re-reading the manga still salty that Neji died! Fuck Obito never had sympathy for that fuck boi!

Me too. It made no sense. Byakugan users unable to defend against an incoming projectile.....hmmm whats that move Neji did in part to deflect 100's of incoming projectiles derp. I can understand Hinata since she can't do it but Neji. Kishi why ;____;

Obito is a tool.

I agree in principle, but then again, many Naruto characters served little to no purpose in the end... Aside from populating video game rosters, anyway.

Biggest travesty is how Mirai is just ignored in the new Era stuff ;___;

aly

Re-reading the manga still salty that Neji died! Fuck Obito never had sympathy for that fuck boi!

Me too. Like of all people to kill off :( I'm mostly ultra salty that Team 7 made it through whole. Yeah main char. and all that, but they were the worst team.

Meh. She looked cool, but her parents were also some unimportant jobbers. Or at least Kurenai was. Her biggest feat is dumbly using genjutsu on Itachi of all people and getting kicked in the face by him. Tbh I feel like Yamato really got the short straw in the ending chapters.

Me too. Like of all people to kill off :( I'm mostly ultra salty that Team 7 made it through whole. Yeah main char. and all that, but they were the worst team.

Meh. She looked cool, but her parents were also some unimportant jobbers. Or at least Kurenai was. Her biggest feat is dumbly using genjutsu on Itachi of all people and getting kicked in the face by him. Tbh I feel like Yamato really got the short straw in the ending chapters.

Asuma though and to be fair Itachi's genjutsu is unparalleled.

Team 7 are GOAT. They are so OP now its laughable.
Kakashi - Ex-hokage
Naruto - 7th Hokage, demi-god
Sasuke - Uchiha prodigy, demi-god
Sakura - Greatest medic ninja, Sannin

Who needs the Gokage xD

SoulUnison

Banned

She's not even a Storm 4 character, is she?
Seems like most of the "extra" characters are at least interesting video game fodder.

They're probably saving everyone that isn't Boruto and Sarada for Ultimate Ninja Storm: New Era, or something, though.

She's not even a Storm 4 character, is she?
Seems like most of the "extra" characters are at least interesting video game fodder.

They're probably saving everyone that isn't Boruto and Sarada for Ultimate Ninja Storm: New Era, or something, though.

UNS4 is getting 4 characters from DLC but I doubt its the next gen.

Shin would be pretty cool to play with even though he was a fodder villain.

Watched Boruto at the cinemas and it was awesome. I mean the story was so so and predictable but I loved the character interactions and the action. The first action sequence was spectacular and I believe everyone has seen the last action scene. The Chunin exam invasion scene was well done as well.
I would say the best thing about the film, apart from seeing the cast grown up and happy was seeing Sasuke's character now that he is a father. Naruto is a bit of an awkward dad as he does not know how to deal with Boruto's behaviour but Sasuke has none of it. He's strict, but also affectionate, humble and even inspirational. I was also pleasantly surprised by Mitsuki who hasn't got the spotlight as much as his team mates. Only wished we saw more Kakashi.

Kito

Where do you get that image? If it's for the first page of the 2016 calendar, then you could get it from cdjapan or AmiAmi.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-1851326
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=GOODS-00047867

Though I'd recommend checking if it's the same calendar before ordering from either store.

Source. I rejected that AmiAmi listing earlier, but I'm just seeing now it's actually a provisional one. Pre-orders closed already dammit ☹

Kito

Watched Boruto at the cinemas and it was awesome.

As someone who thought Boruto was awesome too, would you recommend me watching The Last? Still haven't seen it. If it's been in UK cinemas I've missed the publicity, and I've failed to find a stream link online.

Yado

As someone who thought Boruto was awesome too, would you recommend me watching The Last? Still haven't seen it. If it's been in UK cinemas I've missed the publicity, and I've failed to find a stream link online.

The Last is trash. Unless you're into juvenile shipping stuff?

Mr Git

I haven't seen any of the Naruto movies. Are many of them worth it? Just assumed they'd be bigger budget filler like the Bleach ones.

I would not recommend The Last tbh.

My favourite Naruto movies (/worthwhile ones):

1. Boruto
2. Land of Snow
3. Naruto movie 3
4. Blood Prison
5. Road to Ninja

Shouta

The Last isn't so much bad as it feels a little forced. It doesn't feel quite as natural as it should be despite the characters obviously clicking with each other. That said, there are some nice Naruto and Hinata moments in it.

I personally think Inheritors of the Will of Fire and Road to Ninja are the best Naruto movies. Boruto would come after that. Inheritors has great action for the entire cast and was pretty decent character building as I recall.

Road to Ninja is the definitive Naruto & Sakura story and helps them get to understand each other better. It's the one thing that Kishi failed to do in the main manga story, setup how Sakura and Naruto are foils to each other. At least, that's how I view it. It also sort of indirectly helps Sasuke and Sakura a little on that front, lol

The Last isn't so much bad as it feels a little forced. It doesn't feel quite as natural as it should be despite the characters obviously clicking with each other. That said, there are some nice Naruto and Hinata moments in it.

I personally think Inheritors of the Will of Fire and Road to Ninja are the best Naruto movies. Boruto would come after that. Inheritors has great action for the entire cast and was pretty decent character building as I recall.

Road to Ninja is the definitive Naruto & Sakura story and helps them get to understand each other better. It's the one thing that Kishi failed to do in the main manga story, setup how Sakura and Naruto are foils to each other. At least, that's how I view it. It also sort of indirectly helps Sasuke and Sakura a little on that front, lol

No part 1 movies?

Kito

So I just attempted to watch The Last and I couldn't finish it because it was so bad. Wish my eyes could unsee it.

Sharpeye

Seeing as this thread got a recent pulse, do you guys think there will be anymore 'New era project' stories coming out after the Sasuke hidan? Figure they be something to look forward to as their technicality canon until Kishi pulls a disney and SP certainly aren't ending the story anytime soon with all this filler.

Shouta

No part 1 movies?

They're enjoyable and pretty but they're really like the old type of anime movies for a long running series where it really doesn't add anything to the universe. The Shippuden movies actually try to expand the content in some fashion by either expounding relationships or developing the characters.

phaze

Seeing as this thread got a recent pulse, do you guys think there will be anymore 'New era project' stories coming out after the Sasuke hidan? Figure they be something to look forward to as their technicality canon until Kishi pulls a disney and SP certainly aren't ending the story anytime soon with all this filler.

You're in luck.

Village

Watched Boruto at the cinemas and it was awesome. I mean the story was so so and predictable but I loved the character interactions and the action. The first action sequence was spectacular and I believe everyone has seen the last action scene. The Chunin exam invasion scene was well done as well.
I would say the best thing about the film, apart from seeing the cast grown up and happy was seeing Sasuke's character now that he is a father. Naruto is a bit of an awkward dad as he does not know how to deal with Boruto's behaviour but Sasuke has none of it. He's strict, but also affectionate, humble and even inspirational. I was also pleasantly surprised by Mitsuki who hasn't got the spotlight as much as his team mates. Only wished we saw more Kakashi.

You can't be the non strict paren't if when you have a skeleton arm. That's the roll you have to play.

You can't be the non strict paren't if when you have a skeleton arm. That's the roll you have to play.

Especially when you look like this:

naruto_gaiden_700___5___sasuke_uchiha_by_soru800-d8v70av.png

They're enjoyable and pretty but they're really like the old type of anime movies for a long running series where it really doesn't add anything to the universe. The Shippuden movies actually try to expand the content in some fashion by either expounding relationships or developing the characters.

True, but I don't mind that. In fact I kind of like the idea of movies just focusing on a certain mission. The manga really needed more missions with Team 7 and the rest of the K11 before Shippuuden went all WW4.

Wowwww.
Could this be a part 3? Really hope Kishi is on board.

Land of Snow was sooooooo good. The art direction was fantastic in that movie.

So much color.

So much snow.

My man. Loved the setting and concept of the movie. Light hearted Naruto at its best.

Top Bottom