• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Manga |OT2| Not A Romance Manga

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I liked the Hinata sacrifice scene because it was the only time Hinata ever did anything. Was it flawed? Yes. Was it better than her doing either nothing or failing miserably? Also yes. I liked the Pain fight for letting the leader of Akatsuki live up to being really fucking dangerous. He may have Dragon Ball'd the victims, but he still blew up the village.

How did you feel about Naruto's ghost family reunion?

Yado

Jaded lmao. I told you if you if you like Hinata she doesn't really have any "moments" to shine as a character. Hinata's achievements throughout the course of the entire series have been giving Naruto inspirational speeches (that he never appreciates her for beyond the time they're actually happening) and popping out his kids. That's it.

Also, in the manga that pain vs Hinata thing was waaaay shorter lol, so at least the animators made her look good.

I liked the Hinata sacrifice scene because it was the only time Hinata ever did anything. Was it flawed? Yes. Was it better than her doing either nothing or failing miserably? Also yes. I liked the Pain fight for letting the leader of Akatsuki live up to being really fucking dangerous. He may have Dragon Ball'd the victims, but he still blew up the village.

How did you feel about Naruto's ghost family reunion?
I mean I liked that Hinata did something cause I like it when Hinata actually steps the fuck up and does something, but it just seemed like a waste, again. She gets her ass beat into the ground and tells Naruto that she loves him and gets smacked into the dirt repeatedly with a smile on her face and for what? Nothing. She lets that Pepto Bismol haired woman soak up her limelight, it just really pissed me off. Wait that goes beyond his ghost dad popping up or are you just referring to that? I was fine with it, gave Naruto a moment with his dad and actually allow him to vent his frustrations to somebody cause I don't think he ever really did that with Jiraiya or Kakashi. It was just teenage Naruto exposing himself as just the kid that he is underneath his huge speeches. I do find it weird that Nagato was able to pull that jutsu out of his ass. How long did he even have it for, what's the statute of limitations on it? Why not just use it on Yahiko right after the dude died?
Jaded lmao. I told you if you if you like Hinata she doesn't really have any "moments" to shine as a character. Hinata's achievements throughout the course of the entire series have been giving Naruto inspirational speeches (that he never appreciates her for beyond the time they're actually happening) and popping out his kids. That's it.
I mean I knew, you guys did warn me, but I didn't think it would hurt that much. I've been watching anime for over 20 years, I've seen some shit, I thought I was prepared and then I got hit with some bullshit. That was the type of pain Nagato was talking about. All I want Naruto to do is take that woman to get some fucking ramen, that's it, dude didn't even thank her. He's flirting with Sakura as they get some water the next episode. That, that's just some cold blooded horse shit.

Yado

To me Hinata is like a bot Kishi created for adult Naruto to bear his kids and make sandwiches. I don't mind her, she's a sweet girl but her character doesn't have anything else going on besides worshiping Naruto. & he doesn't even care, like...

To me Hinata is like a bot Kishi created for adult Naruto to bear his kids and make sandwiches. I don't mind her, she's a sweet girl but her character doesn't have anything else going on besides worshiping Naruto. & he doesn't even care, like...
She should've smartened up, go full lesbo and hit up Ten Ten. Now there's a fine ass woman nobody gives two shits about. I'm sure Ten Ten would love the attention. With Hinata it just feels like he made her intentionally for people to like only to keep treating her like shit, like she's just a massive fuck you to the entire fanbase. "You'll want to protect her...from me." Is Hinata due another ass beating for Naruto or is she safe?

I don't know what kind of character you think Hinata is JW but you've clearly misunderstood. There are better side characters Kishi could focus on.

Also, in the manga that pain vs Hinata thing was waaaay shorter lol, so at least the animators made her look good.

Nearly one-shotted in one panel.
hinata-VS-pain.jpg

I don't know what kind of character you think Hinata is JW but you've clearly misunderstood. There are better side characters Kishi could focus on.

I'm sorry if I expect Kishi to put some effort into fleshing out a woman that he intends to have marry his main character.

I'm sorry if I expect Kishi to put some effort into fleshing out a woman that he intends to have marry his main character.

Well there's your mistake. Romance was never a big point on Kishi's list.....unless it was tied to his central themes/resolutions. Iirc there was a point where Kishi did not plane on Naruto getting married at all. The goals for Naruto are saving his team, becoming hokage and trying to find peace in this ninja world. All 3 of such goals tie into the main themes of the story.

Well there's your mistake. Romance was never a big point on Kishi's list.....unless it was tied to his central themes/resolutions. Iirc there was a point where Kishi did not plane on Naruto getting married at all. The goals for Naruto are saving his team, becoming hokage and trying to find peace in this ninja world. All 3 of such goals tie into the main themes of the story.
So that's why the boy couldn't just get a "thank you" bowl of ramen with Hinata after she attempted to save his life? I get it trust me, he has his priorities, it just comes off as very one track mind for Naruto. It's like the only bonds he had in that show that he really cared for were Sasuke and Sakura, which is odd because every team didn't act like that. Every team in Naruto legit cared about everybody else's team. It's like if Naruto either didn't fight you or hold a crush on you he had no time for you.

Spring iirc. Perhaps around the same time Gaiden started.

So that's why the boy couldn't just get a "thank you" bowl of ramen with Hinata after she attempted to save his life? I get it trust me, he has his priorities, it just comes off as very one track mind for Naruto. It's like the only bonds he had in that show that he really cared for were Sasuke and Sakura, which is odd because every team didn't act like that. Every team in Naruto legit cared about everybody else's team. It's like if Naruto either didn't fight you or hold a crush on you he had no time for you.

Thats some revisionist history.

tumblr_inline_nwbonvz7BZ1rsoel3_540.jpg

Naruto cares about all his "nakama". Some bonds are more important, Team 7 is an important bond because it was some of the first bonds Naruto made (very significant as he was ostracised from the village at a young age) and he grew as a ninja with them. Another incredibly important bond is the one he has with Iruka.

Spring iirc. Perhaps around the same time Gaiden started.

Thats some revisionist history.

tumblr_inline_nwbonvz7BZ1rsoel3_540.jpg

Naruto cares about all his "nakama". Some bonds are more important, Team 7 is an important bond because it was some of the first bonds Naruto made (very significant as he was ostracised from the village at a young age) and he grew as a ninja with them. Another incredibly important bond is the one he has with Iruka.
I know Naruto loves his Jinchuriki bros, which I know I've listed Gaara as one of those good bonds Naruto has formed in the anime thread. I honestly consider Naruto's bond with Jiraiya as bigger than the one he has with Iruka because in a lot of ways Naruto is trying to emulate Jiraiya. Heck Jiraiya used to be like Naruto when he was younger. Naruto's bonds with the elder sensei are not lost on me you know which is something I'm pretty sure I've stated several times in the manga thread.

ghstwrld

I mean I knew, you guys did warn me, but I didn't think it would hurt that much. I've been watching anime for over 20 years, I've seen some shit, I thought I was prepared and then I got hit with some bullshit. That was the type of pain Nagato was talking about. All I want Naruto to do is take that woman to get some fucking ramen, that's it, dude didn't even thank her. He's flirting with Sakura as they get some water the next episode. That, that's just some cold blooded horse shit.

w6YNkcc.gif

I know Naruto loves his Jinchuriki bros, which I know I've listed Gaara as one of those good bonds Naruto has formed in the anime thread. I honestly consider Naruto's bond with Jiraiya as bigger than the one he has with Iruka because in a lot of ways Naruto is trying to emulate Jiraiya. Heck Jiraiya used to be like Naruto when he was younger. Naruto's bonds with the elder sensei are not lost on me you know which is something I'm pretty sure I've stated several times in the manga thread.

No way. Iruka is more important, like a father to Naruto.

No way. Iruka is more important, like a father to Naruto.
He goes to Iruka for advice, Jiraya knew Naruto's dad and gave Naruto his name. Maybe that's just me, but I always thought Jiraiya had the bigger influence. I view Jiraiya as Naruto's link to his lost family. I will admit that Iruka picks up the slack pretty well when Jiraiya dies though.

Khezu

Narutos bonds tier list.

S- Jiraya, Iruka
A- Shikimaru, Killer Bee, Gaara
B- Sakura, Sai
C- Lee, Fat kid, Kiba
D- Orochimaru, Kabuto, Pain
E- Sasuke
F- That tiger guy from the first episode

Narutos bonds tier list.

S- Jiraya, Iruka
A- Shikimaru, Killer Bee, Gaara
B- Sakura, Sai
C- Lee, Fat kid, Kiba
D- Orochimaru, Kabuto, Pain
E- Sasuke
F- That tiger guy from the first episode
I had a feeling Shikamaru would be tiered pretty high. He kisses nobodies ass so when he praises you you better damn well listen. I'm not looking forward to putting up with more Killer Bee though.

In retrospect, that ostracized plot line makes absolutely no sense. Naruto wasn't some demon nobody, he was the son of a hokage, from a clan that had twice married hokages and had deep ties to the village's founders, and who had bore the burden of the leafs superweapon for generations. Instead of being an outcast, by all rights he should have been raised to be quite the valued member of the leaf.

Honestly, late series lore basically makes everything pre time skip make absolutely no sense.

Yado

I think it's unforgivable that the powers that be let Naruto live in squalor and be ostracized knowing the sacrifices his parents made for the village.

rambis

Banned
In retrospect, that ostracized plot line makes absolutely no sense. Naruto wasn't some demon nobody, he was the son of a hokage, from a clan that had twice married hokages and had deep ties to the village's founders, and who had bore the burden of the leafs superweapon for generations. Instead of being an outcast, by all rights he should have been raised to be quite the valued member of the leaf.

Honestly, late series lore basically makes everything pre time skip make absolutely no sense.

People hated him because of Kurama. The subtext from the villagers was basically why does the village even need a jinjuriki when the bijuu only destroys shit. In fact irukas big impact on Naruto is he was one of the first to see naruto for naruto. I don't think anybody in the current generations know much about the uzamaki.

People hated him because of Kurama. The subtext from the villagers was basically why does the village even need a jinjuriki when the bijuu only destroys shit. In fact irukas big impact on Naruto is he was one of the first to see naruto for naruto. I don't think anybody in the current generations know much about the uzamaki.
Did pervy sage know who Naruto was from the word go?

Sharpeye

I think it's clear that Kishi made stuff up on the fly to an extent when it came to backstory and revelations. Heck he even said he wrote himself in a corner when it came certain villains and their power.

Also it's a good thing that Frogfu is banned, him and Jaded would be arguing for pages about Sakura.

Which again, makes no sense. Karuma wasn't some new thing, he's been in the village for generations, and hosts were a known thing. The entire global balance of power depends on them.

And the Uzumakis too, should be well known. Two hokage's wives. The shared emblem on leaf uniforms. The close relation to the shenju, etc. The early lore no longer makes any rational sense given late series development. Makes me think that much of the lore was thought up as he went along, and thus, ideas are all over the place. The series really could have used a bible/plan on day one for where and what the world building would be like.

I think it's clear that Kishi made stuff up on the fly to an extent when it came to backstory and revelations. Heck he even said he wrote himself in a corner when it came certain villains and their power.

Also it's a good thing that Frogfu is banned, him and Jaded would be arguing for pages about Sakura.
How many stans does the Pepto Bismol haired princess have?

Yado

Sakura and Sasuke are my favourite characters Jaded.
tumblr_nz9zidvExq1s2nj6io1_250.gif

The only character I genuinely hate and want to see dead is Killer Bee tbh.

Sakura and Sasuke are my favourite characters Jaded.
tumblr_nz9zidvExq1s2nj6io1_250.gif

At least your favorite isn't Karin, then you'd just need your damn head examined. You've been level headed with your Sakura love so I didn't even know. And you know what, thank you for proving that I'm not crazy for not liking Killer Bee.

rambis

Banned
Did pervy sage know who Naruto was from the word go?
Well actually Jiraya was the one who...nm. just read/watch and stay outta here lol
Which again, makes no sense. Karuma wasn't some new thing, he's been in the village for generations, and hosts were a known thing. The entire global balance of power depends on them.

And the Uzumakis too, should be well known. Two hokage's wives. The shared emblem on leaf uniforms. The close relation to the shenju, etc. The early lore no longer makes any rational sense given late series development. Makes me think that much of the lore was thought up as he went along, and thus, ideas are all over the place. The series really could have used a bible/plan on day one for where and what the world building would be like.
Per the lore there were only three hosts Mito, Kushina then Naruto. Mito had the First to control any anything that would've happened. Kurama attacked the village while Kushina was
giving birth to Naruto. So advancing to the series start, the current generation of chuunin/jonin were all kids/teens when they were first exposed to the Kyuubi and it was wrecking shit. With this in mind, it makes sense that they would hate to find out that the Kyuubi is now stuffed into this little shit that is going around pranking everybody. The fourth died saving everybody from that attack and the third is old as shit. Im sorry but that makes perfect sense to me.

And by the time Kushina and Minato were starting the academy, the uzumaki were whipped out. With only Mito, I don't see where the rest of the village is supposed to know much about the uzumaki. Especially with the Senju out of power by then anyway.

Yeah no doubt. He's admitted that basically everything to do with Rikudo Sennin and this Ashura/Indra stuff was late additions. So is kaguya. But not everything. It seems that there were always things that were gonna happen but getting there was the problem. He also complained that he had to wrap the series up a lot sooner than he wanted because of somebody's late desire to have the manga over at 700. Doesnt seem like kishi had much control over the schedule.

giving birth to Naruto. So advancing to the series start, the current generation of chuunin/jonin were all kids/teens when they were first exposed to the Kyuubi and it was wrecking shit. With this in mind, it makes sense that they would hate to find out that the Kyuubi is now stuffed into this little shit that is going around pranking everybody. The fourth died saving everybody from that attack and the third is old as shit. Im sorry but that makes perfect sense to me.
@bolded, wat. The villagers hated him from the getgo. Him being a prankster was a byproduct of this prejudice, not the other way around.

rambis

Banned
@bolded, wat. The villagers hated him from the getgo. Him being a prankster was a byproduct of this prejudice, not the other way around.
The manga started when his was academy aged. We're talking Part 1 lore, so only the first half of the manga. Don't get it confused with pre time skip stuff that was introduced in part 2.

The manga started when his was academy aged. We're talking Part 1 lore, so only the first half of the manga. Don't get it confused with pre time skip stuff that was introduced in part 2.
Huh? Why are we excluding the part 2 lore?

That doesn't even matter because I'm rereading the first chapter and Mizuki explicitly tells Naruto, 'didn't you think it was strange? To be so despised everywhere you went?'

Even Iruka echoes this sentiment on the next page that 'since the day of your birth you've been shunned by our entire village'. On the same page Mizuki states 'the best you could ever hope for was attention not love, and you could only do that by doing things that would get you into trouble'.

I'm using the Viz Media translation btw.

rambis

Banned
Huh? Why are we excluding the part 2 lore?

That doesn't even matter because I'm rereading the first chapter and Mizuki explicitly tells Naruto, 'didn't you think it was strange? To be so despised everywhere you went?'

Even Iruka echoes this sentiment on the next page that 'since the day of your birth you've been shunned by our entire village'. On the same page Mizuki states 'the best you could ever hope for was attention not love, and you could only do that by doing things that would get you into trouble'.

I'm using the Viz Media translation btw.
We aren't excluding part 2. The claim is that Part 2 lore made Part 1 lore not make anysense anymore. One example given was the kyuubi incident, which we only really got during part 2. The argument is that part 1 Naruto shouldn't have been hated because, thanks to part 2 we know that Narutos dad was a Kage and that he and his mother died protecting the village.

You do seem right about that one detail but idk what its worth is in the context of our discussion.

We aren't excluding part 2. The claim is that Part 2 lore made Part 1 lore not make anysense anymore. One example given was the kyuubi incident, which we only really got during part 2. The argument is that part 1 Naruto shouldn't have been hated because, thanks to part 2 we know that Narutos dad was a Kage and that he and his mother died protecting the village.

You do seem right about that one detail but idk what its worth is in the context of our discussion.
I dunno either I just wanted to clarify the point lol.

And I'm on the side of the argument that says that Naruto should not have been hated by the village.

rambis

Banned
I dunno either I just wanted to clarify the point lol.

And I'm on the side of the argument that says that Naruto should not have been hated by the village.
My only problem is the excuse that they didn't name Naruto after Minato because of his enemies. And then not introducing any of his enemies. They kinda hinted at something with Ay and B but they didn't seem like sworn enemies. I mean supposedly Minato took out a whole platoon of Rock villagers in a flash. Why not another villian from there?

Hopefully they pick it up in a monthly Part 3. Im looking at it as a blank slate. Everybody basically knows everything thats happened in the world up to now. So the writers shouldn't be able to just try and add to lore to advance the story. With only monthly releases there's alot more time to actually come up with something.

Rational or not, I could understand the village being fearful of Naruto, due to the nine tails rampage. What I don't understand is why nobody tells Naruto who his parents are, or that he lives in a shitty apartment by himself. His childhood is just dumb.

Don't forget the entire history/purpose of the hosts and such. Combined with his heritage, it indeed makes no sense to hate/ostracize/etc your villages ultimate trump card and child of your heroes.

If the lore in part two had been applied to part one from the get go, naruto wouldn't' have been left alone to flounder about, he'd have been trained to use his abilities from pretty much the time he could stand. His role is too important to not do that, he literally serves the role of M.A.D in the ninja world.

The way the hosts were handled in part 1 was as if they were just some sort of necessity evil no one liked or cared for. In part two, they are the lynchpin of national policy.

rambis

Banned
Don't forget the entire history/purpose of the hosts and such. Combined with his heritage, it indeed makes no sense to hate/ostracize/etc your villages ultimate trump card and child of your heroes.

If the lore in part two had been applied to part one from the get go, naruto wouldn't' have been left alone to flounder about, he'd have been trained to use his abilities from pretty much the time he could stand. His role is too important to not do that, he literally serves the role of M.A.D in the ninja world.

The way the hosts were handled in part 1 was as if they were just some sort of necessity evil no one liked or cared for. In part two, they are the lynchpin of national policy.
Only B was a trained Jinjuriki. Its not something that anybody can do. They are despised because the host often loses control and goes on a rampage. The jinjuriki are literally ticking bombs that will explode if you make them mad or the beast overtakes them. The Leaf put their strongest jonin in charge of watching Naruto and of course he was monitored but the Hokage. And put the only Uchiha in the Leaf village on his team to control the kyuubi if it ever acts up.

The bijuu were used as a treaty in the first war. Its likely that no nation could figure out how to use them so they ended up scattered about as we saw in the manga.

And nobody knew Naruto was son of minato save a select few in part 2. We literally never heard of his parents story at all in part one so I don't see where the hang up is.

And nobody knew Naruto was son of minato save a select few in part 2. .
Now this was stupid af because Naruto's resemblance to Minato is uncanny. Konoha either paid very little attention to the latter during his tenure as Hokage or they were/are dumb as rocks. Or a little bit of both lmao.

I understand the arguments people make about how naruto cares about all his nakama, and while i do believe this for the first part of the series, and a little bit of the first arc of part 2, I feel like as the series progressed the only person naruto ever really gave a shit about was sasuke and I personally thing the "bond" between Naruto and Sasuke was the worst part of the entire series, and ruined most of it for me.

Doesn't help that Sasuke is 100% garbage tier and never got his commupance. The fact that Neji died and sasuke lived makes me sick to my stomach.

Also although I'm a hardcore naruhina shipper I do 100% agree that their relationship was developed pretty badly.

Thats why I'm here :p

I think the anime exaggerates and lies a lot about this aspect of the plot. While it is still significant in the manga, I think its more reflective on how children, particularly some orphans are still treated in the shinobi system, even in Konoha. Naruto having a monster responsible for the such destruction which could go off only made the situation worse.

Only B was a trained Jinjuriki. Its not something that anybody can do. They are despised because the host often loses control and goes on a rampage. The jinjuriki are literally ticking bombs that will explode if you make them mad or the beast overtakes them. The Leaf put their strongest jonin in charge of watching Naruto and of course he was monitored but the Hokage. And put the only Uchiha in the Leaf village on his team to control the kyuubi if it ever acts up.

The bijuu were used as a treaty in the first war. Its likely that no nation could figure out how to use them so they ended up scattered about as we saw in the manga.

And nobody knew Naruto was son of minato save a select few in part 2. We literally never heard of his parents story at all in part one so I don't see where the hang up is.

It still doesn't make sense to do what they did to him. Deny him any knowledge of his family or clans history, ostracize him from the community, fail to really do any non-academy training (like other kids received) etc, when he's the son of a hero and your villages trump card.

It's like Jiraya was suppose to be his godfather, but was utterly absent his entire life till post invasion.

Konoha was practically begging for Naruto to nuke them off the map with the way they treated him. Naruto is a bigger person then I, I would totally nuke them off the face of the Earth. Not the Ramen guy though, I'll keep him safe.

jdkluv

So I just finished the Pain arc in Shippuden and had a mental breakdown in the process, this normal?
YO HINATA WHAT THE FUCK PUSH THAT BITCH OFF YOUR FUCKING MAN ALREADY!!!!!!!!

Sakura is highlighted because she represents the village as a whole (yes, this is stupid). Sakura’s hug conveys everyone’s gratitude in that scene and how thankful they are for what he has done for them. The overall scene portrays Naruto being welcome back to Konoha with open arms, and obtaining the acknowledgement he’s always wanted.

I liked the Hinata sacrifice scene because it was the only time Hinata ever did anything.

Did you forget 98 and 615? Naruto would lost not only the motivation and his "Never give up" attitude, but also the boost in confidence he needed before the Neji fight. And Obito's mindf*ck would have completely demoralized him and the entire Shinobi Alliance.

If that's so, then why did Naruto start to use Hinata's words? Even though she's just a side character... no real important role...

And actually, Naruto candidly mentions Hinata several times on-panel, but do bear in mind that with NaruHina there is more "showing" albeit subtle, than "telling". 615 is literally an on-panel acknowledgement of his to her of how she has always been by his side. Beyond that, he states in dialogue that it was thanks to her always being by his side. To give thanks to her for always (keyword here) being by his side is Naruto acknowledging her impact on him.

The entire point of the narrative is how Naruto inspired Hinata, a weak character to grow into someone who in turn could support him and inspire him (and effectively the Shinobi Alliance) when the chips are down. It's a give and take, and it's about their interaction. Kishimoto's entire thing with Naruto/Hinata was to highlight how a Yin type character (passive/dark/feminine) and a Yang type character (aggressive/bright/masculine) balance each other out to make each other stronger and bring the best of us.

I mean I liked that Hinata did something cause I like it when Hinata actually steps the fuck up and does something, but it just seemed like a waste, again. She gets her ass beat into the ground and tells Naruto that she loves him and gets smacked into the dirt repeatedly with a smile on her face and for what?

Technically, Hinata never said she loves him.

He's flirting with Sakura as they get some water the next episode. That, that's just some cold blooded horse shit.

Do not confuse the anime, which completely messes with the storyline, with the manga. As someone who never watches the anime and strictly follows the manga, I’m assuming that’s what is causing you to have some of your obvious misinformation. If you pay attention to the anime to the point that you think anime events are part of the actual story, then your argument becomes invalid right from the start due to the fact that you’re working under a false premise.

I consider the anime adaptation to have butchered the characterization of many important characters to the series, and have clearly pandered to a variety of pairing fandoms which is not true of the manga itself. So, if you question things and consider the anime valid, I don’t blame you.

I honestly prefered it this way. It made Naruto's reaction to her being hurt even more spectacular. :V Plus, Pain already one-shotted the entire village in about 10 seconds.

Kishimoto never said this. Instead, he said thrice that NaruHina (and SasuSaku) was planned since the very early stages of the story and even partially laid out their development in a Databook. The pairing itself also makes sense thematically.

So that's why the boy couldn't just get a "thank you" bowl of ramen with Hinata after she attempted to save his life?

I don't recall Naruto inviting Sasuke to a bowl of ramen for protecting him from Haku. That being said...

I get it trust me, he has his priorities, it just comes off as very one track mind for Naruto. It's like the only bonds he had in that show that he really cared for were Sasuke and Sakura, which is odd because every team didn't act like that.

This is funny, because Naruto was far more emotionally invested in Hinata’s struggle against Neji than he’s ever actually paid attention to Sakura’s character growth throughout the course of the story. Naruto has repeatedly shown ignorance of Sakura's desires outside of Sasuke, ever since the very beginning. With Hinata he actually manages to efficiently develop with, while with Sakura it doesn't go much beyond "You really like Sasuke, huh?".

The whole Naruto/Sasuke thing was just a run-a-mil rivalry until it suddently got "deep" via half-assed flashbacks for substance (in which both characters regard the other pretty much the same way Hinata did Naruto, only becoming competitive rather than affectionate) that Kishimoto had to overdramatize to give Naruto a reason to keep chasing Sasuke in Part II, hence the whole "You were my first bond even though we never actually spoke". It’s cool to make him empathize over the pain of loneliness, but it was done infintely better with Gaara IMO.

Oddly enough, all of Naruto's major developments as a character and person come from interactions with characters thematically considered on the outside of what classifies as the manga's "starring cast": Iruka, Hinata, Neji, Gaara, Jiraiya, Chiyo, Minato, Nagato, Karui, Killer Bee, Kushina, Itachi, Son and the Yonbi...

Every team in Naruto legit cared about everybody else's team. It's like if Naruto either didn't fight you or hold a crush on you he had no time for you.

- Swearing vengeance on her blood.
- Fighting hard for her against Neji.
- Admiring her.
- Always smiles around her (unlike with Sakura, which makes Sai's book quote pretty silly).
- The face of awe he always does at her when she does something amazing.
- Lost his shit when she was stabbed.
- Has some implied mental connection with her on a few occasions.
- Acts tough because Hinata’s there, according to Kiba (and we all know Kiba is a honest guy and can detect bullshit).
- Hold her hand (an explicit romantic gesture in Japanese culture)

That's more than there was for Naruto and any other girl, and more care that Naruto has shown for most characters. The only character whose even slightly comparable is Sasuke.

You monster! Killer Bee was awesome ever since he whooped Sasuke's ass.

basically everything I wanted to say about everything

especially the first bit. Sakura's hug was clearly symbolic of Naruto's acceptance by the village. Of all the things to be negative about, the Pain arc was one of the pinnacles of the series. So good.

basically everything I wanted to say about everything

especially the first bit. Sakura's hug was clearly symbolic of Naruto's acceptance by the village. Of all the things to be negative about, the Pain arc was one of the pinnacles of the series. So good.

That too. Sakura is showing gratitude as well as the village and Naruto appreciating them.

Top Bottom