• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Manga |OT2| Not A Romance Manga

I really don't want to read this soley based of the art style....It's fuckin horrendous...Hinata looks ewwwwww holy shit...Sasukes hair...His face....WHAT THE HELL IS THIS...I could probably do better tbqh.

Amikami

Banned
Not at all fascinated.

• The Art is shit (But I can almost overlook it)
But not only is the art unbearable:
  • "End of the Shinobi Era" We've been through this with Naruto and Sasuke.
  • Boruto is even less interesting now that he's had a tragedy forced on him. Losing a eye and getting some tatoos just feels dumb, not hardcore and serious.
  • Hard for me to believe that the leaf village has been leveled by one child when you got Naruto and Sasuke around. I mean...c'mon.
  • Why the hell would you introduce your first chapter as an almost frame by frame recap of the movie. A breif recap, sure, but this takes recaps in Naruto to a whole new level.

I want to be excited and give this a chance but I just feel sad. This is what some of you guys get for dissing Kishi all those years.

rambis

Banned
I guess we've reached "A purple cat defeating MY Goku? Laughable fanfiction, Goku is invincible" territory.
We've been here since The Last honestly. Its funny and sad at the same time watching people white wash kishi and all the BS he's given us over the years like this stuff is any different.

Not at all fascinated.

• The Art is shit (But I can almost overlook it)
But not only is the art unbearable:

I want to be excited and give this a chance but I just feel sad. This is what some of you guys get for dissing Kishi all those years.

Well obviously things haven't gone smoothly have they?
  • Boruto is even less interesting now that he's had a tragedy forced on him. Losing a eye and getting some tatoos just feels dumb, not hardcore and serious.
We literally no nothing about his eye or the situation surrounding it, yet its forced? Perfect example of wanting to hate something and letting confirmation bias take over...

• Hard for me to believe that the leaf village has been leveled by one child when you got Naruto and Sasuke around. I mean...c'mon.

I mean are they around orrrr...

• Why the hell would you introduce your first chapter as an almost frame by frame recap of the movie. A breif recap, sure, but this takes recaps in Naruto to a whole new level.
The movie skipped around far too much and had terrible pacing story wise. This gives a chance to fill alot of the holes left by Boruto the Movie.

Khezu

Outside of the silly future tease, nothing new has happened, so I do think it's far too early to really pass any judgement.

And the future tease does actually give me hope, because it shows that the standard edgelord character isn't going to be a member of neo team 7, which was always my biggest fear. Breaking up team 7 so early was Kishis biggest mistake, in a long list of dumb ass plot decisions.

Kito

MK12MtN.jpg

Sasuke's face though.

Yado

Sasuke's face though.

I thought this panel looked ok, like he was incorporating a bit of Kishi's style into his art and then it all goes to shit when you look at the rest of the pages. Even on the panel recapping the movie he seems to do an ok job of making Boruto look decent and then Hinata's next to him looking like a fucking monster.

rambis

Banned
Outside of the silly future tease, nothing new has happened, so I do think it's far too early to really pass any judgement.

And the future tease does actually give me hope, because it shows that the standard edgelord character isn't going to be a member of neo team 7, which was always my biggest fear. Breaking up team 7 so early was Kishis biggest mistake, in a long list of dumb ass plot decisions.
I feel like kishi made a few mistakes. I always hated the plot armor around the characters. The good guys never take any losses and never actually kill the enemies. Enemies either sacrifice themselves after a long stern chapters worth of talking or are convinced to turn good. Always annoyed me how Naruto never seemingly had a cost to using his powers. They flirted with the idea when he first made rasenshuriken but that was quickly bypassed. Magical Kyuubi chakra was a bad crutch I thought, Boruto already seems more developed than Naruto ever did.

Amikami

Banned
We've been here since The Last honestly. Its funny and sad at the same time watching people white wash kishi and all the BS he's given us over the years like this stuff is any different.

Well obviously things haven't gone smoothly have they?
We literally no nothing about his eye or the situation surrounding it, yet its forced? Perfect example of wanting to hate something and letting confirmation bias take over...

I mean are they around orrrr...

The movie skipped around far too much and had terrible pacing story wise. This gives a chance to fill alot of the holes left by Boruto the Movie.

Well let me do a better job at explaining my dislike, expecially now that I've had a night to think about everything. First I want to get it out of the way, that I had no intentions of purposely disliking anything. I wanted a part 3, hoped for it since part 2 ended when most didn't, and stuck with it even though my excitement deflated by hearing that Kishi wasn't doing. I figure, hey its Kishi assistant. Can't be that bad.So saying that I want to hate it...just isn't accurate.

As for the 2nd and 3rd points I made.

2. Yeah obviously it didn't work out. We went trough a large portion of the original series talking about the Shinobi era ending, and the Boruto movie as well. Now obviously the movie is connected to this series, but in both cases, the issue is supposedly resolved. Its a fair criticism to say that these situations are getting tiresome. We keep repeating themes and it comes off as annoying, just like the original series kept repeating themes of friendship, but at least that was all contained in one series. Having this same theme repeated right out the gates is tiresome.

3. Almost anyone in the original series who was worth caring about had a horrible childhood or backstory. Now to make me care about Boruto, who was basically a pretty happy kid other than his father not having much time, has lost an eye, has seen the village destroyed, and has a nemesis whom he shares tatoos with. Yeah, we're missing the content in-between. When I said forced, I wasn't speaking in terms of how Boruto got there, I'm speaking in terms of how we are led to feel about Boruto as a protagonist.

So in terms of the first two points I made, I am not fascinated or interested, because I feel like this story and the way Boruto is about to be developed has already been done again and again in the original series. Combined with retelling the movie, it just does not feel original or new.

4. Fairer point you made. Obviously, Naruto and Sasuke aren't around. But hell, Kawaki made it sound like he
directly disposes Naruto or at least get rid of him.
But the fact that things could get so bad when you do have people like Naruto in sasuke in this universe. They killed the Mother of Chakra when they were 16 for God's sake. But hey, even the orginal series suffered from fluctuating power levels. It's a similar problem that existed in the mini Sarada series too. Its hard to do anything reasonably in the series anymore unless we're dealing with another alien which maybe Kawaki is. So I should wait to assess that.

5. You really think its a good way to grab readers. Redoing the movie with better pacing should have been a pre-releash, or filling in holes could have been done after a stronger introduction. This was not a strong intro to me. If I had been excited at all by Boruto and Kawaki, it's immediately dampened by seeing the movie almost panel by panel. There were better ways to do this and you know it.

Regardless, I'm gunna stick around for a few month. I know the first 2 issues will be the movie. After I will see what happens. If it doesn't click, I'll come back after a year and marathon what I missed and see if I like it then. I wanna give this a chance, but this first chapter just wasn't good. retreading old ideas when you're the sucessor isn't a good look.

rambis

Banned
Well let me do a better job at explaining my dislike, expecially now that I've had a night to think about everything. First I want to get it out of the way, that I had no intentions of purposely disliking anything. I wanted a part 3, hoped for it since part 2 ended when most didn't, and stuck with it even though my excitement deflated by hearing that Kishi wasn't doing. I figure, hey its Kishi assistant. Can't be that bad.So saying that I want to hate it...just isn't accurate.

As for the 2nd and 3rd points I made.

So in terms of the first two points I made, I am not fascinated or interested, because I feel like this story and the way Boruto is about to be developed has already been done again and again in the original series. Combined with retelling the movie, it just does not feel original or new.

Regardless, I'm gunna stick around for a few month. I know the first 2 issues will be the movie. After I will see what happens. If it doesn't click, I'll come back after a year and marathon what I missed and see if I like it then. I wanna give this a chance, but this first chapter just wasn't good. retreading old ideas when you're the sucessor isn't a good look.
Nice reply.

I'll dive into it as I get time.

2. Yeah obviously it didn't work out. We went trough a large portion of the original series talking about the Shinobi era ending, and the Boruto movie as well. Now obviously the movie is connected to this series, but in both cases, the issue is supposedly resolved. Its a fair criticism to say that these situations are getting tiresome. We keep repeating themes and it comes off as annoying, just like the original series kept repeating themes of friendship, but at least that was all contained in one series. Having this same theme repeated right out the gates is tiresome.

Well we don't know quite what this entails do we. Obitos/Madaras version was just trapping everyone in genjutsu. Maybe this guy wants everything to end ala Sasuke. We don't know what conflicts have arisen since part 2 other than the movie stuff, he may have a valid motivation to not want super powered ninja running around. Even in kishis one shot people like Oro are still looking for something to quell the darkness in the world. Plus this is obviously after a time skip so we have to get there first. I wouldn't say the issue is resolved, the shinobi have made peace before and war still eventually came. Thats just life. Nothing is eternal, especially peace.
3. Almost anyone in the original series who was worth caring about had a horrible childhood or backstory. Now to make me care about Boruto, who was basically a pretty happy kid other than his father not having much time, has lost an eye, has seen the village destroyed, and has a nemesis whom he shares tatoos with. Yeah, we're missing the content in-between. When I said forced, I wasn't speaking in terms of how Boruto got there, I'm speaking in terms of how we are led to feel about Boruto as a protagonist.

Thanks for expanding but I still don't think this is quite fair. We don't know that the author is going for pity in regards to whatever happens to the kid. I'd argue that its a refreshing sense of reality in this ultra dangerous world they live in. I for one got tired of magical healing powers basically making every battle inconsequential unless he dies. Im glad Boruto doesnt have that safety net yet.
4. Fairer point you made. Obviously, Naruto and Sasuke aren't around. But hell, Kawaki made it sound like he
directly disposes Naruto or at least get rid of him.
But the fact that things could get so bad when you do have people like Naruto in sasuke in this universe. They killed the Mother of Chakra when they were 16 for God's sake. But hey, even the orginal series suffered from fluctuating power levels. It's a similar problem that existed in the mini Sarada series too. Its hard to do anything reasonably in the series anymore unless we're dealing with another alien which maybe Kawaki is. So I should wait to assess that.
Yeah they do have a bit of explaining to do here, but hey we'll get there when we get there. No need to pass judgement now.
5. You really think its a good way to grab readers. Redoing the movie with better pacing should have been a pre-releash, or filling in holes could have been done after a stronger introduction. This was not a strong intro to me. If I had been excited at all by Boruto and Kawaki, it's immediately dampened by seeing the movie almost panel by panel. There were better ways to do this and you know it.

Idk, the story and pacing were my biggest complaints of Boruto. I think originally it was really supposed to just be the last bit of fan service, not something to base a manga off. Theres so much that was left out at the chuunin exams for example. So much left out of Sasukes/Borutos training. I wanted more from the movie so, no I don't necessarily agree that they've should've glossed over it. Im sorry you disagree but its only a few chapters. Tune it out for a few months.

phaze

Boruto: The Movie was the best Naruto's been since the Invasion of Pain Arc. Anyone with me on this?

4rxwhhhr2ukp.png

Storywise Boruto is just Kishi throwing his own kid under the bus by making Boruto a spoiled brat who doesn't understand his father's sacrifice.

The action scenes at the beginning and ending are its one saving grace and there was plenty of great action in anime since pain arc.

Boruto 01
Glad to see someone inheriting so strongly pre 699's Sasuke Will of Fire. Finally someone who put an end to evil ninja dictatorships and the feudal lords they're supporting.

Fj0823

Hmmm after reading gotta say the art is nowhere near as bad.

My 2 big problems are Hinata and Sasuke, She looks 12 again...not 32..and Sasuke looks like young Severus Snape.

Everything else looks decent.

Boruto being a ungrateful brat is nothing new.
I'll agree with Amikami: not only do we have an absence of sense in this contrived scenario but also the absence of impact.

What will you guys do if this turns out to be the DB GT of Naruto ;___;

phaze

What?

Where did you get that from? And regardless of inspiration, Boruto was very well written.

I think I've read something to that effect when Boruto was released. Or it might be just my own deluded rationalization of the story.

Boruto being a ungrateful brat is nothing new.
I'll agree with Amikami: not only do we have an absence of sense in this contrived scenario but also the absence of impact.

What will you guys do if this turns out to be the DB GT of Naruto ;___;

But War Arc already is the GT of Naruto.

And I will be grateful it's GT and not Super.

Amikami

Banned
Well we don't know quite what this entails do we. Obitos/Madaras version was just trapping everyone in genjutsu. Maybe this guy wants everything to end ala Sasuke. We don't know what conflicts have arisen since part 2 other than the movie stuff, he may have a valid motivation to not want super powered ninja running around. Even in kishis one shot people like Oro are still looking for something to quell the darkness in the world. Plus this is obviously after a time skip so we have to get there first. I wouldn't say the issue is resolved, the shinobi have made peace before and war still eventually came. Thats just life. Nothing is eternal, especially peace.

My issue isn't so much with the content of the story and what it will eventually be. It will be easy enough to come up with and explain a scenario. Peace doesn't last. I didn't expect it to. My issue is with the overall writer/director/shonen jump and whoever who has any influence using the theme again. Its an external issue. Nothing to do with the content of the story itself.

Thanks for expanding but I still don't think this is quite fair. We don't know that the author is going for pity in regards to whatever happens to the kid. I'd argue that its a refreshing sense of reality in this ultra dangerous world they live in. I for one got tired of magical healing powers basically making every battle inconsequential unless he dies. Im glad Boruto doesn't have that safety net yet.

Fair enough. I wasn't necessarily saying they were going for pity. Kishi wasn't necessarily going for pity all the times so much as horrible past makes character invincible later on. I just need more reasons to care about Boruto. After years of character building for Naruto and Sasuke, there were aspects of them I could appreciate outside of their troubled past, like how they internalize events and relationships to get to where they eventually are. Even then, the troubled childhood trope is overplayed by Kishi himself for every major character and for any character who was supposed to be major but didn't have a bad childhood, Sakura for example, Kishi was horrible at making us care. I was hoping we could break from that. I thought Kishi was tying to anyway when he gave Boruto a pretty good childhood compared to Naruto but still having him go through trials that helped him grow as a character and made him particularly strong to begin with.
I was also a bit premature in judging so soon though and can admit that.

Yeah they do have a bit of explaining to do here, but hey we'll get there when we get there. No need to pass judgement now.

I should likewise give this more time also to see what's happening here

Idk, the story and pacing were my biggest complaints of Boruto. I think originally it was really supposed to just be the last bit of fan service, not something to base a manga off. Theres so much that was left out at the chuunin exams for example. So much left out of Sasuke's/Boruto's training. I wanted more from the movie so, no I don't necessarily agree that they've should've glossed over it. Im sorry you disagree but its only a few chapters. Tune it out for a few months.

Well I know people were split on the movie. I was one of those who enjoyed it immensely though I know it had some flaws. I saw no reason to linger on Sasuke's training nor the chuunin exams as the movie's focus was elsewhere. These exams weren't life or death like their parents had been. But this is besides the point. If there had been a whole lot that had been shown in this first chapter that wasn't in the movie, fine. But the truth was there wasn't much at all. No need to be sorry I disagree. We have different opinions which is fine. You make some great points, but I still think this was overall not the best way to start off. But I also agree that I should wait longer to fully come to a conclusion.

I think I've read something to that effect when Boruto was released. Or it might be just my own deluded rationalization of the story.

And I will be grateful it's GT and not Super.

It will be Super when Pierrot adapts it

ziw1hjcqybo8zxazimog.jpg

I thought this panel looked ok, like he was incorporating a bit of Kishi's style into his art and then it all goes to shit when you look at the rest of the pages. Even on the panel recapping the movie he seems to do an ok job of making Boruto look decent and then Hinata's next to him looking like a fucking monster.
Maybe this new guy was a Naruto x Sakura shipper so he throws salt at Hinata by drawing her in a fucked up manner?

SoulUnison

Banned
It's going to take a long time to get used to how the new artist draws hair, it seems to be sort of his personal flourish.

Sasuke constantly looks like he just got back from a salon date.

Furyous

I skimmed through the chapter so as to not mess up my lasting image of the Naruto manga proper. This makes no sense and I wonder what happened to Kishi's original vision for Naruto? His original vision was that Naruto get some time to adjust to being a dad and tell stories from the perspective of a father teaching his children about life.

Am I the only person that is going to treat this series like DBZ works series end?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Read it, I'm pretty okay with this. Yeah yeah some art is a little wonky here and there, but it gets the job done. Will be neat to see how this world comes together post-movie-recap, I'm curious about those kinda-but-not curse marks at the start, looks like a new kind of technique.

rambis

Banned
My issue isn't so much with the content of the story and what it will eventually be. It will be easy enough to come up with and explain a scenario. Peace doesn't last. I didn't expect it to. My issue is with the overall writer/director/shonen jump and whoever who has any influence using the theme again. Its an external issue. Nothing to do with the content of the story itself.

Fair enough. I wasn't necessarily saying they were going for pity. Kishi wasn't necessarily going for pity all the times so much as horrible past makes character invincible later on. I just need more reasons to care about Boruto. After years of character building for Naruto and Sasuke, there were aspects of them I could appreciate outside of their troubled past, like how they internalize events and relationships to get to where they eventually are. Even then, the troubled childhood trope is overplayed by Kishi himself for every major character and for any character who was supposed to be major but didn't have a bad childhood, Sakura for example, Kishi was horrible at making us care. I was hoping we could break from that. I thought Kishi was tying to anyway when he gave Boruto a pretty good childhood compared to Naruto but still having him go through trials that helped him grow as a character and made him particularly strong to begin with.
I was also a bit premature in judging so soon though and can admit that.

I should likewise give this more time also to see what's happening here

Well I know people were split on the movie. I was one of those who enjoyed it immensely though I know it had some flaws. I saw no reason to linger on Sasuke's training nor the chuunin exams as the movie's focus was elsewhere. These exams weren't life or death like their parents had been. But this is besides the point. If there had been a whole lot that had been shown in this first chapter that wasn't in the movie, fine. But the truth was there wasn't much at all. No need to be sorry I disagree. We have different opinions which is fine. You make some great points, but I still think this was overall not the best way to start off. But I also agree that I should wait longer to fully come to a conclusion.
Good stuff man. I love detailed answers. Respect.
I skimmed through the chapter so as to not mess up my lasting image of the Naruto manga proper. This makes no sense and I wonder what happened to Kishi's original vision for Naruto? His original vision was that Naruto get some time to adjust to being a dad and tell stories from the perspective of a father teaching his children about life.

Am I the only person that is going to treat this series like DBZ works series end?
Kishis original vision was that Naruto was too busy to actually see his kids. He's the main writer of Boruto the movie which this chapter just recaps.

Syntsui

Am I supposed to watch the movie before reading this new manga? Just saw the first page and he is fighting a random dude, also he apparently lost an eye. I'm crazy lost in this.

phaze

Am I supposed to watch the movie before reading this new manga? Just saw the first page and he is fighting a random dude, also he apparently lost an eye. I'm crazy lost in this.

The first few pages are only in manga and just some, far away in the future, flash forward. The rest of the chapter however was basically a retelling of events of Boruto the movie. Judging by the pace, this retelling will take them quite a while so you may either just watch the movie or just read it as this new manga covers it.

It will be Super when Pierrot adapts it

http://images.complex.com/complex/image/upload/c_limit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_680/ziw1hjcqybo8zxazimog.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[quote="phaze, post: 202538507"]I think I've read something to that effect when Boruto was released. Or it might be just my own deluded rationalization of the story.

And I will be grateful it's GT and not Super.[/QUOTE]

Is super really that bad? lol

Even if I were to agree with that, it would be more about Naruto's drop in quality as the story progressed than a compliment to that movie.

Fair, the War Arc was a particular stinker.

For me, the only parts of Part 2 that lived up to Part 1 standards were the Jiraiya's Hunt/Itachi Pursuit, Invasion of Pain, and the Confining the Jinchūriki arcs. Naruto's development and emotional moments in the latter two arcs were utterly fantastic. Fights in all three are all top-tier material.

Boruto fired on all cylinders. Boruto's growth from a spoiled brat to a respectable shinobi who knows the value of hard work and determination was perfectly paced, Adult Sasuke is GOAT, and the final fight is the best animated sequence since episode 133 of the original series. Damn, everything was so right about it.

Itachi/Pain arc was incredible. Besides that 5 Kage arc and Immortals Arc were great as well. War arc was ugh, but after Madara/Sasuke enters it gets better.
I actually liked the Kaguya arc. Rin > your fave ;)

Khezu

Itachi arc would have been so much better if Sasuke went back to leaf after Itachi died.
The arc itself was fine, but it led to dumbshit.

Pain was the best arc of part 2.

I also sorta like the part 2 Sasuke "rescue" arc, if only because of how god damn terrifying 4 tailed Kyuubi Naruto was, before Jins became a generic power up.

Itachi arc would have been so much better if Sasuke went back to leaf after Itachi died.
The arc itself was fine, but it led to dumbshit.

Pain was the best arc of part 2.

I also sorta like the part 2 Sasuke "rescue" arc, if only because of how god damn terrifying 4 tailed Kyuubi Naruto was, before Jins became a generic power up.
4 Tailed Kyuubi was cool. Surprising what a simple fist bump solves in the Narutoverse. Than he just became a golden furry Gamera of all things.

brinstar

Having read the chapter but not having seen the Boruto movie, does Naruto come off this dry in the movie too? He's like a cardboard box in this. I loved the scene with him and Sasuke, though. I find it funny that Sasuke hasn't even met Boruto until now or even know his name. I know he's been away but damn, try to keep somewhat in touch, man!

rambis

Banned
Having read the chapter but not having seen the Boruto movie, does Naruto come off this dry in the movie too? He's like a cardboard box in this. I loved the scene with him and Sasuke, though. I find it funny that Sasuke hasn't even met Boruto until now or even know his name. I know he's been away but damn, try to keep somewhat in touch, man!
Sasuke almost killed his daughter because he had never seen her before. She was trying to get her first glimpse of him. Didn't even apologize either.

And yeah Naruto was pretty much a prop like the other Hokage have been. He's even an asshole that makes people call him Hokage Sama. Like Naruto, when have you ever called someone by a proper title lol.

Sasuke almost killed his daughter because he had never seen her before. She was trying to get her first glimpse of him. Didn't even apologize either.

And yeah Naruto was pretty much a prop like the other Hokage have been. He's even an asshole that makes people call him Hokage Sama. Like Naruto, when have you ever called someone by a proper title lol.
He calls Tsunade Grandma of all things. Didn't he call some dude "Super gramps sage" what kind of fucking life less suit did Naruto grow into?

Sasuke did not almost kill his daughter and he has seen her before albeit a long time ago.
Naruto is supposedly busy all the time but Boruto is still an ungrateful brat. Says he rather have a dead dad than Naruto.

This is why Sarada is best character. She shows understanding/empathy and her case is more tragic than Boruto's.

rambis

Banned
Lol the demigod draws a sword on the poor preteen girl he doesn't know and confronts her but everything is just fine . Sure PM smh.

Boruto would just like to be acknowledged by Naruto, who doesn't seem to know a thing about him. The little scene where Naruto wishes him luck and Boruto is a giddy as a school girl shows just how little of that he gets. You'd think the orphan would know just how much that stuff means to a kid but no, guess not. And after making Hima cry at her birthday they should've just gave Naruto dad of the year amirite?

I will always flame both Naruto and Sasuke to death for being bad/absentee parents. While at the same time Boruto does come off as a brat regarding Naruto. He at least knows what his parents look like. Sarada? Holy shit. I need to get to Boruto at some point cause Gaiden was just sad. Sarada didn't even really believe Sakura was her mother.

Not sure how that translates to "almost kill his daughter", especially when Sasuke throws the sword to the side before Sarada even speaks. He wanted to test her reaction to confirm if she was his daughter (why would she be here) or another sharingan clone.

I think Boruto should be more understanding. His dad clearly loves him, but the reality is being Hokage is a busy job. Its noteworthy that Naruto's awkwardness towards Boruto is only there due to Boruto's recent hostility.

Missing your daughters birthday due to being Hokage somehow deserves the ludicrous comment of I rather be fatherless? Boruto is lucky that Hinata is soft.

Proof is in the pudding. The resolution of the film is Boruto finally coming to understand that a father can still love his family despite not spending much time with them due to work, not Naruto taking days off.

Top Bottom