• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Manga |OT2| Not A Romance Manga

Wow. I read the 500 or so chapters of the manga I still had to read over the weekend so I could catch up. The anime was leaving me on a cliffhanger and I was finding myself emotionally unstable at not knowing what would happen to Obito. Legit. I was going crazy. So I read it.

I am glad I did as now I can enter all these things and not worry about spoilers. I still need to watch The Last though!

As a reward for reading so much I wrote a top 10 list for my favourite characters. It's a bit spoilery but I assume everyone here is up to date!

Them characters.

Obitio was a boss
only when he was young

His motive is like a considerably weaker version of Sasuke's (which Sasuke actually moved on from).

Nevertheless I enjoyed the reading the list.

Some amazing fanart
tumblr_nk6qa9itvB1rmmvkgo1_1280.jpg

Naruto 688

Right, I will be ejecting out of this thread till I finish but ...

Holy Mother of all the asspulls at the Obito giving Kakashi his Sharingan's with ghost magic.
ndaxxyizzoo7.gif
I don't think I've seen something so out of there yet.

The one thing I liked about that moment was once it became clear Obito was going to die. the fanbase split into two camps. One side that thought Kakashi would get the Sharingan back, and the other that thought he would remain a badass normal.

So when Kaguya turned Obito to ashes, it seemed pretty definitive that team no sharingan was right. But of course, the very next chapter, Kakashi is given the sharingan with a perfect susanoo go to along with it.

Turok_TTZ

Naruto 688

Right, I will be ejecting out of this thread till I finish but ...

Holy Mother of all the asspulls at the Obito giving Kakashi his Sharingan's with ghost magic.
ndaxxyizzoo7.gif
I don't think I've seen something so out of there yet.

The biggest asspull so bad, puts Kubo and Aizen to utter shame and disgrace in how awful it was.

Perfect Susanoo and bs shurikens? in two chapters, Naruto and Kishi outdone Kubo and Bleach in quality of Asspulls.

EhoaVash

hmm looking at that last volume cover, I really wish kishi would of drawn Naruto with a longer hokage robe. ..his adult ( obito ) look still bothers me =/
doesn't look cool at all like the 4th :(

hmm looking at that last volume cover, I really wish kishi would of drawn Naruto with a longer hokage robe. ..his adult ( obito ) look still bothers me =/
doesn't look cool at all like the 4th :(

Everyone looks cooler with longer capes don't they?

Some those artworks for the contest about the volume cover are really amazing:

tumblr_nhq94wIXvh1spzyzxo1_1280.jpg

http://satokochaaan.tumblr.com/post/107256865317/ive-never-been-great-with-words-but-i-just-want

tumblr_ney5p8Rs7r1rptppmo1_1280.jpg

http://ilabarattolo.tumblr.com/tagged/myart/page/3

I have some novel stuff:

• Might guy is keen to get back as a ninja and recover from his leg injury....though it seems like that never happens :(
  • Sasuke stayed in the village for 1 year before leaving in 699 (might get more of this in Sakura's novel)
  • Its almost implied that Sasuke and Sakura are already in a relationship in Shikamaru's novel.
  • Its implied Shika's novel is after the Last but not sure yet.

The more time I have to think about it, the more I realize that no villain in the final arc managed to surpass Pain as an antagonist.

It started with the Jiraiya fight. The thought that what was thought to be one of the strongest ninjas in the series was completely decimated with ease by Pain was scary. A beloved character and father figure to Naruto was murdered, by one of his own students.

Pain was a morally complex, parallel of Naruto that, for the arc he was in, felt further from the ninja world and closer to godhood. Literally, all his feats of strength are terrifying: his almighty push, the demonic summons, the absorption of souls and more. What's more is the situations he shows these abilities in are equally frightening due to the characters involved, with teachers and students from the Leaf feeling for the first time, truly in danger.

However, it's his past that truly gives the character credibility for me. Unlike Madara, or even Obito, Pain motivations for peace and an end to suffering through destruction almost feel justified by the turmoil he's been in. Witnessing the death of his parents and village, barely surviving in a war torn country, and being forced to kill his own best friend are nightmares to experience. Even more so, his own power led to him becoming a slave to his own body, further cementing that his pain truly was greater than Naruto's.

The Pain and Naruto fight also felt more climatic than anything else in the series. Not only do we see Naruto face off against an opponent, no one else had ever come close to beating, we also see him actually being strategic in his movements and actions, showing a growth of character in him.

When the Nine-Tails is released and Naruto goes out of control, all hell breaks loose, and Pain shows his true power by matching him in strength. It was after all of this that Naruto finally meets his father, the legendary 4th Hokage, for the first time. He comes to understand that his parents loved him, despite never showing up. By dong this, he is able to find new strength and defeat Pain. However, he has not won yet. Naruto truly beats Pain through his talk with him, which by far, is the best "talk no jutsu" in the entire series. It shows two characters, both whom have experienced horrors, coming to understand each other.

phaze

That was...really weird. Probably the most jarring thing in awhile.

The one thing I liked about that moment was once it became clear Obito was going to die. the fanbase split into two camps. One side that thought Kakashi would get the Sharingan back, and the other that thought he would remain a badass normal.

So when Kaguya turned Obito to ashes, it seemed pretty definitive that team no sharingan was right. But of course, the very next chapter, Kakashi is given the sharingan with a perfect susanoo go to along with it.

The biggest asspull so bad, puts Kubo and Aizen to utter shame and disgrace in how awful it was.

Perfect Susanoo and bs shurikens? in two chapters, Naruto and Kishi outdone Kubo and Bleach in quality of Asspulls.

Yeah I couldn't believe what the hell I'm reading. Say what you will about Naruto but I thought that up till a point, it managed to keep its power ups relatively coherent and sane, outside of Sage Mode. Naruto got increased control over Kurama's chakra, Sasuke got the upgrades of the Sharingan. Compared to Bleach or even the silliness of Chimera Arc in HxH, it was just more believable within the confines of the established world. But Kishi really stopped giving fucks once the war arc started. I thought it couldn't get worse than Haguromo popping out of nowhere and being all "Hey free powerups get !" but low and behold - fucking cockroach teleported himself out of death and as a mass of chakra inserted his eyes into Kakashi. I caught up to Bleach too in the last few days and Kubo still didn't manage to top this.

I'm mostly an anime guy and I enjoyed Naruto the most out of current long running shounens I watched but it's really a shame how it dropped in quality after ep 253. The incessant Edo Tensei, Zetsu clones, asspulls, retcons, goddamn Kaguya brought down a once fairly decent series.

At first I thought the ending was just meh but the more I thing of it, the more rushed it seems and the more things were just ignored in favour of the stupid pairings.

The more time I have to think about it, the more I realize that no villain in the final arc managed to surpass Pain as an antagonist.

It started with the Jiraiya fight. The thought that what was thought to be one of the strongest ninjas in the series was completely decimated with ease by Pain was scary. A beloved character and father figure to Naruto was murdered, by one of his own students.

Pain was a morally complex, parallel of Naruto that, for the arc he was in, felt further from the ninja world and closer to godhood. Literally, all his feats of strength are terrifying: his almighty push, the demonic summons, the absorption of souls and more. What's more is the situations he shows these abilities in are equally frightening due to the characters involved, with teachers and students from the Leaf feeling for the first time, truly in danger.

However, it's his past that truly gives the character credibility for me. Unlike Madara, or even Obito, Pain motivations for peace and an end to suffering through destruction almost feel justified by the turmoil he's been in. Witnessing the death of his parents and village, barely surviving in a war torn country, and being forced to kill his own best friend are nightmares to experience. Even more so, his own power led to him becoming a slave to his own body, further cementing that his pain truly was greater than Naruto's.

The Pain and Naruto fight also felt more climatic than anything else in the series. Not only do we see Naruto face off against an opponent, no one else had ever come close to beating, we also see him actually being strategic in his movements and actions, showing a growth of character in him.

When the Nine-Tails is released and Naruto goes out of control, all hell breaks loose, and Pain shows his true power by matching him in strength. It was after all of this that Naruto finally meets his father, the legendary 4th Hokage, for the first time. He comes to understand that his parents loved him, despite never showing up. By dong this, he is able to find new strength and defeat Pain. However, he has not won yet. Naruto truly beats Pain through his talk with him, which by far, is the best "talk no jutsu" in the entire series. It shows two characters, both whom have experienced horrors, coming to understand each other.

No way. Pain and Itachi were clearly meant to be notable turning points in Naruto and Sasuke's growth but in no way was he even going to be the final villain and the build up shows that as well.

By the time of the Pain fight we knew that there was someone bigger pulling the strings.

Pain's only notable feat was the almighty push and his gravity based stuff. We've seen far bigger and stronger summons in the past, and the soul technique is something that was kind of introduced with the Third Hokage. I don't see anything special about Pain's motives or conclusions either. If you want to talk about horrible pasts than there are numerous Naruto characters that have exactly that and honestly one that not only has had a worst past that Pain but also due to the same reason (Konoha): Sasuke. Witnessed the entire massacre of his clan by the hands of the person he admired the most. Spent the rest of his childhood living for revenge, the day he could avenge his clan, only to found out after killing Itachi that his brother did this in order to keep peace and ensure Sasuke was kept alive. In fact, Pain's motive is essentially the same as Sasuke and that is revenge. He wanted others to feel his pain.

The build up to Pain's fight was nothing compared to fights like Sasuke vs Itachi and Naruto vs Sasuke. Those had build ups since the very beginning of the series. Pain's fight didn't nearly have as long of a build up but was fuelled through the desperation of the situation. I don't know why you're acting like Naruto was close to beating Pain either. He got beaten and only survived due to the nine tails going berserk.

Madara literally tops Pain in every category as a final villain and its evident. Pain was just a creation by Madara, who lent him his ocular powers. Compared to the feats Madara could, Pain is almost insignificant. Furthermore, unlike Pain, Madara's resolve actually had a solution to conflict that plagued the shinobi system albeit one that was delusional. The stakes where also incredibly higher with Madara, where it was literally the rest of the world against Madara.

While Madara is the better final villain, I do want to say that the final climatic fight in Naruto was never actually going to be the final villain. The fight which has had by far the most build up in the series, the fight that nearly everyone anticipated and the fight that was going to decide the ending of the series......Naruto vs Sasuke.

I also want to give a quick summary of each villain's motive:

Pain: wanted others to feel his pain in hope it would prevent further wars (doesn't make sense really since its only going to breed revenge)
Madara : Peace through delusion.

Sasuke: Peace through fear (did not adopt Naruto's way initially since he did not trust the villages after what they have pulled in the past.)
Naruto : Peace through trust/belief ( thank god for Naruto :D )

We also see Sasuke, in a retrospective stance (possibly during/after his travels), come to the same conclusion. If Team 7 can forgive someone like him and if he could forgive Konoha after all thats been done than there is still hope in the shinobi world. The cycle of revenge can be broken through understanding and forgiveness and like Sasuke says, with bigger situations, it may not seem possible or realistic but he has faith, just like Naruto.

It won't start circulating the internet until it's released on DVD. But if you're desperate, most anime streaming sites have a CAM-recorded version uploaded.

Sesha

I never read it, but a few manga Youtubers said it's copying Naruto.

Sounds like complaints by people who's never read a shonen manga before Naruto. If those kinda people read something like Dai no Daiboken their heads might explode.

He's just misunderstood.

I guess so. I must have read that ending wrong. "The only reason you're not being punished for your crimes is because you helped dispell the Mugen Tsukiyomi... What am I saying?! Come here, you little scamp!"

Kakashi looks awfully happy about having his mass-murdering, terrorist ex-pupil back.

mass-murdering? Anyway I'm sure everyone there has killed someone (or several people), they are ninjas and its in their occupation.

Why wouldn't Kakashi be happy to finally see his beloved Team back together after Sasuke's revelation? You act like Sasuke has not changed when in reality:

Sai

"Attempted" mass murderer.

Those few Samurai at the Gokage Summit are the only lives Kishimoto allowed Sasuke to take.

"Attempted" mass murderer.

Those few Samurai at the Gokage Summit are the only lives Kishimoto allowed Sasuke to take.

Yeah and I see that as being intentional. Right at the beginning of Shippuuden we see Sasuke specifically spare the life of 1000 shinobi stating something along the lines of "they are not the one I want to kill". I also remember him intentionally telling his team not to kill the cursed shinobi. He keeps to his word until that point for a specific reason.

The whole Land of Iron arc is meant to show Sasuke's despair. After reasoning his entire existence to avenge the death of his family and kill Itachi he finds out that his brother took the burden of killing the clan so that Sasuke could live. Consequently we find a Sasuke filled with hatred, revenge and most likely regret as well. He does not care about taking lives anymore, in fact he wants to destroy Konoha so that they can truly understand what he has been through and realise the price that was paid to maintain the peace that existed at the time. He doesn't hesitate taking Karin's life, he even attempts to kill Naruto, Kakashi and Sakura. Kishi highlights his sudden change of character, quite blatantly, numerous times as well whether its from Karin, Kakashi or Sakura's viewpoint.

This is a Sasuke entirely consumed by hatred.

Preview images of Sakura's novel are out!

Time skip Sakura:

tumblr_nlhuni8yxE1ts4p4lo1_400.jpg

The novel takes place after The Last.

(Chaper 699 > Kakashi Hiden > Shikamaru Hiden > The Last > Sakura Hiden)

Sakura is looking as pretty as ever. On the other page there are numerous Sasusaku moments. Safe to say this novel is going to be SS centric :D

Here’s the translation! I’ll start from the upper right corner all the way down to the lower left!.

全部覚えてる。サスケくんに言われたこと。
I remember everything. What Sasuke-kun told me.

ーお前、うざいよ。(—Youre really annoying.)
-やっぱり・・・お前、うざいよ。(—You’re really annoying, after all… )
[In panel: 「うざいよ」(You’re annoying)]
[In panel: 「また今度な」(Next time)]

ーサクラ・・・ (Sakura…)
ーありがとう・・・ (Thank you…)
ーお前はオレの罪とは関係ない。(You have nothing to do with my sins.)
ーまた今度な。(Next time.)
ーありがとう・・・ (Thank you…)
[In panel: 「ありがとう」(Thank you)]

サスケくん。今どこにいるの
(Sasuke-kun. Where are you right now?)
サスケくんー (Sasuke-kun)
私、今ねー (Right now, I—)

サクラの恋の行方は?!(What is the outcome of Sakura’s love?!)

phaze

I do feel Pain was good antagonist int the beginning and middle but the more his mystery was unravelled, the less threatening he came off as. He did have a proper aim and wasn't just killing shit for lols but his answer to quest for peace was just plain stupid. The Yahiko's death is forced to hell for the sake of giving him a tragic background. From the beginning to the end he was a puppet with strings being pulled by Tobi. And reverting your life long stance because of a 5 minute bullcrap talk from Naruto ? No villain who succumbs to TnJ is worthy of being called a good antagonist.
He comes to understand that his parents loved him

His daddy sure loved him. He could have let Kushina seal Kyubi in her and finished off Tobi (he had his Hirashin seal on him.) but he decided to off himself because he believed in his 2 hour old son.
ndaxxyizzoo7.gif

Anyhow, really great pre timeskip MAD I stumbled upon.

tumblr_nlj0mpvNCa1sr521do1_400.png

cover for the novel.

Timeline:

Chapter 699:
-Fourth Shinobi War Ends
-Neji’s funeral is held.

Kakashi Hiden:
-Kakashi is 6th Hokage.
-Naruto and Sai are at the Mist Village

*One Year has Passed*

Chapter 699:
-Sasuke leaves Konoha for his redemption journey.

Kakashi Hiden:
-Naruto gets his prosthetic arm.
-Kakashi heads to the Mist to find out about the Airship
-Kakashi officially takes the 6th Hokage position.

*Two Years has Passed*

Shikamaru Hiden:
-Shikamaru does Shinobi Union business
-Sai goes missing
-Shikamaru is contemplating on his life.
-Shikamaru goes on mission to save Sai.
-Shikamaru and Temari’s relationship is further developed.

The Last:
-The moon is falling.
-Hinata wants to give Naruto a red scarf.
-Toneri attempts to follow Hamura’s ‘plan’
-Hanabi/Hinata is taken by Toneri
-Naruto and Hinata’s relationship unfolds.

*one season later*

Sakura Hiden:
- Sakura is busy with her medical research.
-Two mysterious figures approach Sakura.
-Sasuke and Sakura’s relationship is further developed.

A better summary of the timeline I found.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I just want it to be primarily focused on Slice of life and uzamaki kids somehow unlocking the byuakugan during one of the few fights in the series.

It is being done by Kishi. Its probably going to focus on the younger generation but I'm also expecting the older generation, specifically Team 7, to be a big part as well. There's rumours of Orochimaru being the villain.

I don't expect it to be nearly as dark or serious as the older generation (especially in the case of Sasuke).

Arabesque

We're back!!!!!

NARUTO GAIDEN (the new series) is coming April 20th ( I think its a leak)

Thursdays redeemed!
Issue 22/23 comes out on April 27, not 20. so the chapter will be "out" on the 23rd.

Seems appropriate they are calling it Naruto Gaiden, afterall we got Kakashi Gaiden after the end of Part 1.

Issue 22/23 comes out on April 27, not 20. so the chapter will be "out" on the 23rd.

Seems appropriate they are calling it Naruto Gaiden, afterall we got Kakashi Gaiden after the end of Part 1.

thanks for the clarification.

Doesn't Gaiden mean origins....sounds like a cool name for Naruto part 3 but does it make sense?

Top Bottom