• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nashvember Wrasslin' |OT| Big Daddy Cool's Big Sexy Diesel-Powered Month

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
I don't see anything directed towards Paige. All of it is negative towards WWE, the company, not Paige, the heel.

Some people are justifying the angle by saying it will give Paige a lot of heat to make her a better villain at Survivor Series. I think most people put the heat on wwe since they're the ones that decide what people actually say. So yeah, the angle didn't accomplish what it was supposed to do.

Menome

Hey guys, wha...

WWE will be releasing a statement shortly regarding Monday night's show-closing angle involving Paige and Charlotte (Ashley Fliehr).

The gist of the statement will be that the idea of the angle came from Ashley Fliehr, that it was taken out of the show, she was insistent that it be put in, and it was.

Jm3T2fl.gif

...back to Fallout 4.

imBask

Banned
it's not the 70s anymore, everyone knows how the business works. We know there's a script and we can differentiate a written line from a shoot ffs

this fucking company

imBask

Banned
However, the company did take responsibility for the angle since it was ultimately their decision to put it on the show.

that's the best part

"well you know it was her fault BUT WE TOTALLY TAKE RESPONSIBILITY GUYS (although she came up with it)"

jmdajr

Why is it exploitation when the WWE does it but not when bottom feeder dirt sheets use it to push subscription services?

I feel they've done worse and people made less of a fuss.

Anyhow, when you tell Vince no, two things can happen. You earn his respect, or he fires you. Well I guess he can also double cross you too.

These days you have to have a plan B going into WWE. You fucking have to.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm sure Vince is super regretful over this controversial angle in which the only thing that was hurt was feelings and everyone is talking about what happened on Raw.

I guess I just find it intellectually dishonest to say Charlotte isn't allowed to share something personal in her art, then shill for a blood monger like Dave Meltzer as he makes a living on the back of dead wrestlers without making a single contribution himself.

jmdajr

Who can tell Vince No without repercussions? Cena? Brock? Maybe Orton?

Sadly I think HHH can't. :(

Must of been nuts when Shawn basically did whatever the fuck he wanted. Those were the days.

I feel they've done worse and people made less of a fuss.

Anyhow, when you tell Vince no, two things can happen. You earn his respect, or he fires you. Well I guess he can also double cross you too.

These days you have to have a plan B going into WWE. You fucking have to.

My favorite is when he publicly says people have his respect.

Remember the Austin podcast when he said Dean was one of his upcoming favorites?

A few months later Dean lost to a hologram, and then an exploding TV.

That's how he treats his favorites, imagine if you actually piss him off

Bronx-Man

Banned
I guess I just find it intellectually dishonest to say Charlotte isn't allowed to share something personal in her art, then shill for a blood monger like Dave Meltzer as he makes a living on the back of dead wrestlers without making a single contribution himself.

Doesn't Dave write obituaries for deceased wrestlers?

I don't think anyone can touch the in ring psychology of Tommy dreamer bringing a bucket of his own vomit to his match with taker, so that he could eat it in an attempt to get Taker to look away and strike him.

jmdajr

My favorite is when he publicly says people have his respect.

Remember the Austin podcast when he said Dean was one of his upcoming favorites?

A few months later Dean lost to a hologram, and then an exploding TV.

That's how he treats his favorites, imagine if you actually piss him off

"Tough Love" is a hard deal. I still think Ambrose will be champ one day. Just one Reigns hernia away.

Menome

It's just a shame as up until it went south, that segment was the best Charlotte's been promo-wise (Admittedly my first statement regarding this was straight after watching RAW and being a newbie, I didn't realise the circumstances surrounding Reid's death, so I'm more mindful now of how disrespectful the segment actually ended up being).

There was a line, WWE crossed it. Any other company would probably hold their hands up, apologise and make an appropriate charity donation. Reading through stuff like this Paul Bearer business in the past bunch of pages means this isn't going to be the case, is it?

Savitar

I can totally see the WWE putting the blame entirely on her to try and save face. Especially considering they do their best to make themselves look so good these days, bad PR?! Oh can't have that!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I might have started watching Raw but now that WWE's trying to hide the blame for their trash tv storyline, it's put me off
sd_bossman.jpg

Embrace your trash, WWE. It's the only reason people know what you are.

Anth0ny

WWE will be releasing a statement shortly regarding Monday night's show-closing angle involving Paige and Charlotte (Ashley Fliehr).

The gist of the statement will be that the idea of the angle came from Ashley Fliehr, that it was taken out of the show, she was insistent that it be put in, and it was.

iXuhAdd.gif

It's also incredibly infatalizing the way people are talking about Charlotte in here. We're given no reason to believe that she didn't push for the angle, yet people here are acting like she doesn't have any autonomy over her actions. I'd like to say it was surprising but it's really just part of a general trend in the treatment of women in this industry by the fans and "observers".

So Jeff Hardy has a storyline where he laments backstage about all he does is go out week after week and has meaningless matches. So later in the night he drop kicks undertaker into a pile of Tommy Dreamer's vomit. For you wrestling historians, you know this begins a short feud which culminates in their excellent ladder match that starts Taker's face turn.

#grabbingthebrassring

It's just a shame as up until it went south, that segment was the best Charlotte's been promo-wise (Admittedly my first statement regarding this was straight after watching RAW and being a newbie, I didn't realise the circumstances surrounding Reid's death, so I'm more mindful now of how disrespectful the segment actually ended up being).

There was a line, WWE crossed it. Any other company would probably hold their hands up, apologise and make an appropriate charity donation. Reading through stuff like this Paul Bearer business in the past bunch of pages means this isn't going to be the case, is it?

Dave basically pointed out it's really uniquely horrible of WWE. Foreign companies including AAA had explicit permission from families including signed documents just for names being brought up in angles, let alone anything more (like Konnan smoking "ashes"). WWE had permission for stuff like Pillman and Eddie, tasteless as it was. Big Show. Etc. They even had permission for Bearer. They lied about what they were going to do with it, but they got it beforehand. This time, no permission or apology after the fact (to this minute they haven't been contacted). This is uncharted territory we're seeing from Vince.

WWE is releasing a statement?

man they've gone soft.

WWE apes trends which originate elsewhere. Philanthropy is the brand building tool of the 21st century. Engaging with outragimaniacs is what the people want. So they're giving it to us.

Why is it exploitation when the WWE does it but not when bottom feeder dirt sheets use it to push subscription services?

Yeah, true. There aren't any good guys here.

We should be clear that this scandal doesn't matter at all. It amounts to, WWE making the Flairs sad for 5 minutes - but Ric'll be back on the air soon enough and they're all lifers.

We're just shoveling shit around different corners of the same room.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

The gist of the statement will be that the idea of the angle came from Ashley Fliehr, that it was taken out of the show, she was insistent that it be put in, and it was. However, the company did take responsibility for the angle since it was ultimately their decision to put it on the show.

The angle involved Paige referencing the death of Charlotte's brother Reid, who passed away from an overdose on March 29, 2013, and saying clearly Reid didn't have a lot of fight in him. The angle has been the most-talked about story in pro-wrestling since it happened, virtually universally negative towards the company. It was done to set up a Divas Title match on Sunday between champion Charlotte and challenger Paige at the Survivor Series PPV.

Neither Ric Flair nor Ashley's mother Elizabeth were alerted in advance about the angle. Elizabeth was furious and posted publicly on Twitter. Ric Flair on his Woo Nation podcast noted he was very upset when watching it, and indicated that Ashley didn't have the tenure to say no to any angles or storylines presented to her. Flair's co-host Conrad stated publicly that the rumors it was Ashley's idea were 100% false.

Yup, this is a worked shoot.

kiguel182

It's also incredibly infatalizing the way people are talking about Charlotte in here. We're given no reason to believe that she didn't push for the angle, yet people here are acting like she doesn't have any autonomy over her actions. I'd like to say it was surprising but it's really just part of a general trend in the treatment of women in this industry by the fans and "observers".

What?

We know the show is super scripted and Vince approves everything. And do you think she wouldn't talk to her father about it?

I know some people here like to say everything is sexist but this has nothing to do with her being a women and simple the fact that she wouldn't push this without even consulting her dad.

I can't even tell if you are trolling or not.

Mr. Jimmy

La Sombra is not only better looking, youngerm more charismatic, and more talented than Alberto
Rb0Y0ZP.png

He's much classier

I'm glad he'll be making more money I hope he can become a big reference for the hispanics. And he is handsome as fuck, put him in a match against Finn Balor and I'll never be the same.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I might have started watching Raw but now that WWE's trying to hide the blame for their trash tv storyline, it's put me off
sd_bossman.jpg

Dream was right, this industry was built by carnies so there's no point in trying to hiding it.

Fuck, this is what Dream was trying to tell me all along...

I don't think gender comes into this one.

We all know WWE employees are micromanaged and aren't given autonomy over what they do with the company, and that they don't enjoy certain privileges other kinds of performers do. The fans usually side with the talent and assume the best about them - it's natural and with how slimey WWE freely admits it has been in the past, not the craziest assumption to make. If this was an angle involving male wrestlers I think the reactions would be pretty much the same.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Slime has a point. I remember Punk talking about how toxic the locker room culture is these days, how no one has any will to stand up against any shit Vince wants them to do. I wouldn't be surprised if Charlotte felt like her career was on the line based on her decision.

Ithil

Ha, that's funny, you think these people get any say in their own direction.

sd_bossman.jpg

With Big Show being a jokester, I wonder was he laughing during this entire fued. I need to go back and watch it again even though I was just doing it last week.

tm24

I'm glad he'll be making more money I hope he can become a big reference for the hispanics. And he is handsome as fuck, put him in a match against Finn Balor and I'll never be the same.
Yeah even with a development contract Sombra is probably making more money. Part of me thinks CMLLs financials look better this year since they probably got a discount on Sombra losing his mask

Top Bottom