• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nashvember Wrasslin' |OT| Big Daddy Cool's Big Sexy Diesel-Powered Month

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

DMczaf

Guise, my 4 year old son has been getting into wrestling and as a result, I've had some very entertaining moments...

-trying to convince him to pick the Brock action figure instead of The Miz, while in public and trying to not sound like a wrestling fan. #safe

-standing in line at a store when my son loudly asks me "DADDY WHY DO YOU LIKE WRESTLING?" #deadgiveaway

You wouldn't have this problem if you taught your son Carny at an early age.

Now you have a mark for a son. Congrats!

DMczaf

It's instock in every Target store though...which means everyone is scared of buying wrasslin stuff in public just like me...

#deadgiveaway

Oh my!

BQDftyV.jpg

JavyOO7

I was thinking about destroyed knees the other night and Yoshitsune came to mind for the first time in like 6 years. I remember watching his video and thinking 'boy that guys knees will be fucked in like 6 years' and lo and behold, he's practically vanished since 2013 due to knee injury

This guy? http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7z6zt

I remember watching a highlight reel of him several years back. Even wow'ed my non-wrasslin' buddies. Doing flippy floppy stuff like that, especially with landing on your knees... oof.

JavyOO7

Sheamus had a great match with Cesaro last year at NOC. Roman has been having more single matches on his belt, so if those two go at it in house shows then I think they'll have good matches on the network together.

While I still hate the fact they turned Tatanka heel in 94' how they did it was really good. Since Luger was a heel at the beginning you damn sure expected him to sell out and not Tatanka. Even the 4 month buildup to it was good.

First the run in with IRS about money,

Then be beats Nikolai for money

Then he aligns with money.

bjork

I still believe that 1994 booking was decided by those hotline polls. "WHO SOLD OUT?!" "CAN THE SHARPSHOOTER BEAT THE CHICKEN WING?!"

I kinda wish they did it today. But with paid phone calls so it's not some forum spamming a poll online.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
While I still hate the fact they turned Tatanka heel in 94' how they did it was really good. Since Luger was a heel at the beginning you damn sure expected him to sell out and not Tatanka. Even the 4 month buildup to it was good.

First the run in with IRS about money,

Then be beats Nikolai for money

Then he aligns with money.

Luger and Tatanka have awful matches...but the build to that feud is one of my favorites of all time.

In fact the storytelling in 1993 and 1994 is incredible, their real problem is a lack of talent that is over.

DMczaf

I still believe that 1994 booking was decided by those hotline polls. "WHO SOLD OUT?!" "CAN THE SHARPSHOOTER BEAT THE CHICKEN WING?!"

I kinda wish they did it today. But with paid phone calls so it's not some forum spamming a poll online.

Are you saying the hotline was a shoot?

Anth0ny

It's instock in every Target store though...which means everyone is scared of buying wrasslin stuff in public just like me...

#deadgiveaway

"I'm buying it for my nephew."

done.

also reigns vs. sheamus is totally going to happen at mania. it's the only matchup where the crowd would cheer for reigns over his opponent. remember, this is the same company that was 100% dead set on bryan vs. sheamus and orton vs. batista in the main event of mania 30.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

done.

also reigns vs. sheamus is totally going to happen at mania. it's the only matchup where the crowd would cheer for reigns over his opponent. remember, this is the same company that was 100% dead set on bryan vs. sheamus and orton vs. batista in the main event of mania 30.

yeah like the clerk is going to believe your cousin knows who the four horsemen are c'mon man just use the self-checkout stand

Recall

I don't understand the gif. Both men have a hard hitting style that works best as the physicality in their matches is ramped up. I have a feeling that working together will do a lot to elevate them individually and legitimize them as marquee competitors.

Spot, walk around, spot, waiting, spot, walk around. Running hug into Donkey Punch sounds thrilling

Anth0ny

Stealing from reddit. Things WWE has done to Make Roman Look Strong:

Was always the hot tag in The Shield.
Rarely took the pinfall for The Shield.
Made "The Leader" during the Shield's final days. Was the main focus of the Evolution/Wyatt's feud.
Broke Survivor Series elimination record.
Broke The Rumble elimination record.
Retained all Shield likeness, including the entrance through the crowd. (ensures that it always looks like the crowd is into him)
Blatant use of Samoan heritage.
Got the rub from The Rock.
As above, exploited Dean Ambrose's popularity.
Daniel Bryan begging us to like Roman.
Paul Heyman begging us to like Roman.
Always gets the stipulation matches, even if undeserved (eg HIAC, Seth/Kane made more sense to be in the cell).
Always get's the cool spots on the show, while the rest of the card have to tone it down.
Using his own child for storyline purposes (Bray Wyatt)
Rehashing the Daniel Bryan underdog story
Now it seems like they want him to get the "USA pop" against the European stable of Sheamus and co.
Muting crowd responses

And to think, if all that effort was put into the rest of the roster...

Bronx-Man

Banned

done.

Sheamus is never going to main event a WrestleMania.

KingBroly

Banned

Don't forget he won Superstar of the Year last year *Eyeroll

WWE played their hand too early an got caught with Reigns. Winning that laughably Slammy Award was the first indicator on TV, because you then saw some fans call it out for being rigged. While the Shield stuff with him was excellently booked, when they broke apart, he was done.

somedevil

Sami Callahan rumored to be signing a ROH/ NJPW deal.

They keep getting Paul's scraps.

Wish they would sign someone like Yuji Hino or Go

News like this creates tweets like this:

Lord Albert Tensai is trying to kill NJPW from the inside by sending Juice Robinson & Sami Callihan.

Plus I bet someone will post that youtube link to the bullet club theme about this news.

What about that dinosaur guy people are marking out over?

Dinosaur Takuma! I haven't seen any of his matches yet, he's a K-DOJO trainee with a dinosaur tail for some reason, lol. But he seems really happy and surprised that western fans were even aware of him, it's quite cute, lol.

slightconfuse said:
Also Wrestle-1 still exist.?? Holy shit

Yeah, it's puzzling. They brought Takagi in to cut costs and book the shows, but it doesn't seem to have had much of an effect.

Kids are so gullible, I think they can do it today. Would be cool to see what they come up with. I'm sure you remember the one where Mean Gene got WcW over 10k because he said that a former champion died. So many people believed it was flair and they just laughed at how many people called.
Luger and Tatanka have awful matches...but the build to that feud is one of my favorites of all time.

In fact the storytelling in 1993 and 1994 is incredible, their real problem is a lack of talent that is over.
Luger hasn't had many good matches tbh. And Tatanka definitely couldn't carry him to one. Tatanka had good matches but you're just not going to get them with Luger.

The storytelling is fucking awesome man. You have the writing on the wall for future turns. Something that doesn't get more credit is the fact that they gave Hart the payback over Yokozuna a year later. They had to rebuild Hart and it made sense. The thing that sucks is Yokozuna just banished and never got his payback over Hart. It would be been nice to at least see them do a bit more on a few episodes of RAW.

What I like is how Bret has two fueds going on at one time, Backlund and Owen. It sucks that Diesel is about to get his big Push because we definitely could've saw a 3 way between Owen, Bret, and Bob. Owen could've won it for a little bit at least.

WWE actually still runs the hotline in select European cities, like Rome etc.

http://www.wwe.com/mobile/countries/ita
That's pretty dope.
Lex Luger 2.0

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
doesn't make it less true
You could make all sorts of crybaby arguments about any talent through history. Bulldog kept his Bulldog outfit after the British Bulldogs, Hart kept his Hart Foundation stuff, it's all meaningless.

Crybaby smarks will always find a way to be upset with Roman Reigns, and it even shows in the title - so misguided and, well, stupid. It's stupid.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You could make all sorts of crybaby arguments about any talent through history. Bulldog kept his Bulldog outfit after the British Bulldogs, Hart kept his Hart Foundation stuff, it's all meaningless.

Crybaby smarks will always find a way to be upset with Roman Reigns, and it even shows in the title - so misguided and, well, stupid. It's stupid.

Most of that list can be boiled down to:

It's a fixed competition where people get to the top by being positioned over other people who are in on the fix.

somedevil

Didn't Sabu find out he was fired because he called the wcw hotline?

From his shoot interview:

They wanted him to be on the first Nitro but he was working Japan. They asked him how much for the 2nd Nitro and he said "Nothing, just put me over." They said they couldn't do that so he said "Ok, $500."

He wrestled, they wanted to use him and sign him to a deal. They assumed he wanted $500 for every match and sent him a check for each match he did (including a PPV) for $500. Then Paul E. called him and asked him how much it would cost for Sabu to double cross them. He told Paul "$3000."

He did the run-in at an ECW show, Bischoff called him later and Sabu told him he needed the money. Bischoff thought Sabu had quit but Sabu said no and apologized. Bischoff said he'd try to smooth it over and the next day Sabu heard on the hotline that he had been fired.

Sabu also got a ton of heat for his uncle throwing a fireball at Jerry Lynn at the PPV. They were also very controlling of his work and wouldn't let him use tables. Then Public Enemy came in and were using tables left and right. The heads told him, along with guys like Benoit and Guerrero that they needed to tone down their styles to fit TV length matches. They listened, Sabu didn't. He said he wishes he had listened.

He also said Alex Wright was afraid to wrestle him.

The man had only 4 matches in WCW.

Austin telling Cesaro to shoot on everybody

"You're gonna need the guy sooner or later. Jesus christ, he's got, shit, I don't know how many, five quality years left in him. Maybe more; he's a physical specimen who can work his ass off. If ever there's a time... They started cheering him when they split him and Swagger up, they started organically cheering for him, they stuck him with Heyman, then they had to pull him away from Heyman -- I love Paul, but they didn't need that association -- so the people didn't know whether to shit or wind their watch and he got lost in the shuffle through the process. Now, when he does make his comeback, there's a story there, and organically. However you reinvent him, or he reinvents himself, or whatever the gimmick, gadget, or reason is, it's time for this guy to come back both guns blazing, 'fuck all the politics, I'm going to the top.' Almost, to a degree, I would never say Stone Cold, but in that vein. 'Fuck it, what do I got to lose? I'm coming back from an injury, I was right at the top when I left, a lot of politics and bullshit holding me back; fuck it all, I'm going for it. I'm going for the brass ring that Vince McMahon always says nobody is reaching for. Shit, I've been reaching for the son of a bitch for three or four years, it ain't got me nowhere. Well, this time I'm taking it to the top.' Something like that.

Top Bottom