• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Natural Born Penalty Killers (NHL 13 EASHL)

moop1167

December 12th

Don-Draper-is-not-pleased.gif

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Sweet, I'll be back home at 330pm PST, so 30mins after it goes live, then I'll download... sweet sweet.

Didn't you join the other team?

Also, from how I see it, this is the "elite" team Nr1, Wsox's team is the "more casual" team Nr2. NHL/AHL style. Is there something wrong with trying out for an upper division team while at the same time being signed up for a lower division team? If tryouts don't work out I still wanna be playing the game, after all it's supposed to be fun, right. If it does work out, then even better. Or are you saying "You can only tryout for our team if you don't even consider other options"? :p

6pm EST... and im lvl 6 in GW2.. YAHOOOOO LOL

I'mm level... 38. I think. Don't even wanna know how much playtime I've put in though, I'm definitely NOT powerleveling, taking my time exploring :D

Marvie_3

Banned
Also, from how I see it, this is the "elite" team Nr1, Wsox's team is the "more casual" team Nr2. NHL/AHL style. Is there something wrong with trying out for an upper division team while at the same time being signed up for a lower division team? If tryouts don't work out I still wanna be playing the game, after all it's supposed to be fun, right. If it does work out, then even better. Or are you saying "You can only tryout for our team if you don't even consider other options"? :p
You just can't be on two EASHL teams at the same time is all. The game won't let you. I also assumed that since you joined sox's team, that you weren't interested anymore. :lol

moop1167

So 6PM EST. Hopefully I can download it and get a game or two in before I have to roll out. I doubt I'll be able to play much until Sunday.

Smiley90

You just can't be on two EASHL teams at the same time is all. The game won't let you. I also assumed that since you joined sox's team, that you weren't interested anymore. :lol

I figured the game wouldn't let you, but sox isn't putting up the other team until at least thursday, and by then tryouts are probably (?) over, so I'll know what team to join? Like I said, I won't be too disappointed if I'm no deemed "good enough" for this team, knowing I'll still get fun playtime in with the other team.

Marvie_3

Banned
I figured the game wouldn't let you, but sox isn't putting up the other team until at least thursday, and by then tryouts are probably (?) over, so I'll know what team to join? Like I said, I won't be too disappointed if I'm no deemed "good enough" for this team, knowing I'll still get fun playtime in with the other team.
Fair enough.

Smiley90

Fair enough.
So... When are tryouts :p Not sure when i'll be on this weekend yet, but during the week I'll probably go online sometime between 5 and 10 PST. (depending on whether or not I have work and/or go to my SO's)

Smiley90

Tryouts are whenever you get the game.

What's the format? I just join the team and play for a week and see what happens, or do you wanna do it outside of the official EASHL club to "protect the record" or whatnot?

Marvie_3

Banned
What's the format?
You join the club. Then, quoting the OP:

Marvie_3 said:
You will then be offered a 1-week tryout so we can assess skill/chemistry. If the veteran club members approve of you after your initial tryout, you'll be given another week. After the second week, the veterans will again assess your progress and make a decision on whether to offer a spot on the club or release you.

Marvie_3

Banned
See my edit. Wasn't sure if you wanted to do the 1 week tryout within the official EASHL club or outside/OTP or so.
OTP is a pretty terrible way to measure things. It's such a disorganized mess and it's hard to assess abilities when the other team has no clue how to function as a team.

Smiley90

OTP is a pretty terrible way to measure things. It's such a disorganized mess and it's hard to assess abilities when the other team has no clue how to function as a team.

Ha, that's true. Hopefully my download goes fairly fast so I can get a few hours in before I have to leave at like 730 PST.

zsswimmer

Just bought the season ticket. It's still gonna be tempting to play Guild Wars 2 though, the game is so fucking addicting

A few notes:

First, the top "wall" is the half boards and should be referred to as such. Granted, the half boards entail a decent sized chunk of the boards but it's the winger's responsibility to read the play and make sure they're in the best spot possible. "Wall" can refer to where the d-man should be positioned on the strong side when we're on offense. It'll just get confusing if we have multiple spots with the same name.

Second, the point is inside the offensive zone. Your preschool level diagram is way off. ;)

geez didnt even notice, that's awful, good point out I'll update it

Marvie_3 said:
Another thing to note for forwards: We need to use the area behind the net more, whether its passing around the boards or have someone positioned there as a passing option. We tried to do it a little bit last year but we never used it enough for it to be effective. Viz and I like to use a give and go type play when he's down below the goal line and if we used it more, I know it can be effective.

good points about behind the net, i didnt want to go into that yet, thats the next level of evolution. I'm making some diagram gifs to show all the options you can use from the position behind the net as it will get wordy if I try to to explain everything. Starting point for this is that if the winger is on the wall that if the cross crease is blocked or crowded the center needs to make himself available behind the net but still on the strongside of the net. It is a dangerous position that we can run give n gos, go behind the net or run a cycle from.

Marvie_3 said:
Wings are WAY too high in this diagram. They aren't even options at this point because they're too far up. Passes to them are turnovers waiting to happen. Center needs to be in the slot area like you have in your diagram but the wings need to be inside the defensive zone near the blue line.

That LD - RW (or RD-LW) pass is dangerous if it's not COMPLETELY WIDE OPEN. Rather than forcing these huge passes all the time that end up being turnovers, the d-men need to use each other more to move defenders around and open up better passing lanes. As I mentioned before, we're not going to be able to get away with these ridiculous half ice passes anymore so we have to make smarter passes.

i respectfully disagree on both points.

I'd rather the wings at least initially try to break out deep most times as if our defensemen see an opening since home run passes can lead to great chances. If it looks like its defended then they should work back to the puck.

I find the cross ice LD-RW / RD-LW pass is open a lot, as as long as the other defensemen isnt blocking the lane it def has to be considered as an option. I dont recall a lot of turnovers from that at all.

Marvie_3

Banned
I'd rather the wings at least initially try to break out deep most times as if our defensemen see an opening since home run passes can lead to great chances. If it looks like its defended then they should work back to the puck.
If the other team is forechecking well, having the wings up that far could be bad news. If the other team isn't putting any pressure on, then it doesn't hurt to have the wings moving up. In your diagram, there are two defenders than can make plays on that pass. The wing needs to drop back in that situation and make it a shorter pass from LD to LW. The fewer outlet options you have, the easier it will be to get pinned back in the defensive zone.

I find the cross ice LD-RW / RD-LW pass is open a lot, as as long as the other defensemen isnt blocking the lane it def has to be considered as an option. I dont recall a lot of turnovers from that at all.
Like I said, it is an option when it's open. ;) Just have to be careful on it is all. The longer the pass, the more time the defense has to intercept.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm giving into EA....going to buy some Microsoft space bucks now. See you bastards online tonight.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
How many of you are staring and the download bar the entire time? :lol ill just get it started and take the dog for a walk

Top Bottom