• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Natural Selection 2 |OT| You're Squad 5

sorry have not posted here in awhile. Been very busy and one of my GFX cards died so I have not been gaming really.
After the RMA comes in i will be all psyched to play again.

How is the new patch with regeneration changes?

Pikelet

Terrible. Aliens are OP right now.

Yeah aliens seem a tad stronger at the moment. Regeneration is really powerful, and fast onos strats are also pretty OP. There is an official balance mod that changes some of this though, but it is optional for now. Seems like they are focusing on crash and performance issues for the moment though before they get into hardcore balance mode.

Pikelet

found the changelog for the balance mod, should give a decent idea about what the next official patch will be like.

Changelog (updated 11/16 4:09 PST)
- Reverted back to old Hive healing values (228)
- Doubled ARC rate of fire (halved damage)
- Fixed ARC targeting issues
- Welder research time increased from 10 to 15
- Exo armor changed from to 300/390/480/570 to 400/460/520/580
- Welder rate reduced from 125/sec to 90/sec
- Reduced shadow step cost from 15 to 10
- Increased blink momentum to be close to build 220
- Increase start blink energy cost from 8 to 12
- Increased Lerk health from 125 to 175.
- Increase Lerk carapace from 75 to 100.
- Skulk bite width reduced somewhat.
- Shift Hatch now creates 2 eggs, but costs 5 resources and has a 5 second cool down (was 1 tres per egg, no cooldown).
- Increased trait structure (Shell, Spur, Veil) mature health by ~20%. Also increased their base health to be closer to their previous mature health.
- Reduced spore research time from 90 to 60.
- Hive build time increased from 150 seconds to 180 seconds.
- Reduced Onos gore range by .2 meters

They also released a survey for people who have played around with the patch: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6MBDTR2

It seems to address my main concerns with balance at the moment, namely that going for upgrades before a second hive is more viable, and that fast onos is not as dominant.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Well...here's a shot in the dark I've never done this on gaf before but here goes : I'm hella broke - like not even the funny kind of broke. If anyone has their extra invite "laying around" I would be infinitely grateful if you could help a brother out.

Build 230 is out. http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2012/11/build_230_is_now_live_on_steam

Balance
  • Evolving Onos eggs now requires three Hives instead of two. Onos eggs are a complex matter, and are a work in progress!
  • Reduced Onos armor by 100 (-8%, effectiveness vs. Exos and heavy weapons impacted less because armor).
  • Welder research time increased from 10 to 15.
  • Exo armor changed from to 300/390/480/570 to 400/460/520/580.
  • Welder rate reduced from 125/sec to 90/sec.
  • Reduced shadow step cost from 15 to 10.
  • Increased blink momentum to be close to build 220.
  • Increase start blink energy cost from 8 to 12.
  • Shift Hatch now creates 2 eggs, but costs 5 resources and has a 5 second cool down (was 1 tres per egg, no cooldown).
  • Increased trait structure (Shell, Spur, Veil) mature health by ~20%. Also increased their base health to be closer to their previous mature health.
  • Reduced spore research time from 90 to 60.
  • Hive build time increased from 150 seconds to 180 seconds.
  • Reduced Onos Gore range by 0.5 meters.
  • Added cooldown to shift hatch ability.
  • Lowered max healing on Crag.
  • Added minimum healing from Hives.
  • Changed combat timeout to 4 seconds.
  • Reduced mega regeneration (max regeneration is now 10 per second instead of 120).
  • Doubled ARC rate of fire (halved damage)

Fix
  • Fixed bug where the server would leak memory under some circumstances.
  • The ghost Power Node no longer takes damage, fixes a problem where the Power Node could not be rebuilt after being destroyed in some cases.
  • Fixed rare bug where a Hive could become invulnerable if it was killed in the same frame as it finishes building.
  • Fixed sound bug causing ambient sounds in the world to not play correctly.
  • Fixed unbuilt shifts being able to generate eggs.
  • Fixed Exo and Mine tooltips.
  • Fixed regeneration effect showing up in combat.
  • Fixed the "filter modded servers" option not always working correctly in the server browser.
  • Fixed ARC targeting issues.
  • Fixed already recycled units still taking damage.
  • Added protection against speed hacking.

Improvement
  • Added more loading screen tooltips.
  • Added a display to the server browser to show the number of servers in the list.

Sdk
  • Added the ability to specify "passes" for build rules in the Builder to setup simple dependency relationships.
  • Added SoundEffectInstance:SetCoords() function.

Comm asks for nano. We get nano. I ask for phase tech so we can actually hold the damn thing. People tell me to shut the FUCK up and play the game. Aight, fine whatever we lose nano. I suggesting getting an arms lab since we're like 15 mins into the game and have nothing. Again, told to shut the FUCK up.

Why are pubs so dumb.

Comm asks for nano. We get nano. I ask for phase tech so we can actually hold the damn thing. People tell me to shut the FUCK up and play the game. Aight, fine whatever we lose nano. I suggesting getting an arms lab since we're like 15 mins into the game and have nothing. Again, told to shut the FUCK up.

Why are pubs so dumb.

I have had a few bad games but overall I've really been surprised at how much people in pubs work together. I would say that a majority of the games I've played had capable commanders and people working together.

We don't always win but I never feel like it's because of a lack of teamwork. The way it's ingrained in the gameplay is refreshing.

tci

Why are pubs so dumb.
Yea, tried a few servers just now. Stopped playing because of idiots. Seems the public servers are a joke now compared to the beta.

Yea, tried a few servers just now. Stopped playing because of idiots. Seems the public servers are a joke now compared to the beta.

Find your favorite severs. I do not ever play on random pub servers. I always play on Clan servers or former beta turned post 1.0 servers

Find your favorite severs. I do not ever play on random pub servers. I always play on Clan servers or former beta turned post 1.0 servers

Mind listing a few that you play on?

I can't seem to find the beta servers that I played on in beta. I see the All-in servers but they are always full =(

Oh beta, how I missed you =(

jediyoshi

Evolving Onos eggs now requires three Hives instead of two. Onos eggs are a complex matter, and are a work in progress!

aCcs5.jpg

I'm not sure this is the correct solution. This just further enforces the idea that aliens are screwed unless they secure that 3rd hive. Yeah, early Onos was broken as hell but aliens need a way to get out of a situation where they are stuck on 2 hives. Marines can be stuck on 2 bases and are in a very comfortable situation.

Bought it last week, have 18 hours invested. Enjoyable, but the game has terrible team stacking problems. Random PUB servers are heavily skewed to one team always, to the extent that I find myself logging out in frustration.

Also, Aliens are much better than Marines in almost every way. If Marines don't play flawlessly, they will lose. Is this intentional? Personal stats have me winning on Aliens over three times as often as Marines.

Xyber

Bought it last week, have 18 hours invested. Enjoyable, but the game has terrible team stacking problems. Random PUB servers are heavily skewed to one team always, to the extent that I find myself logging out in frustration.

Also, Aliens are much better than Marines in almost every way. If Marines don't play flawlessly, they will lose. Is this intentional? Personal stats have me winning on Aliens over three times as often as Marines.

2-3 weeks ago people said that marines were OP and always won (even though the stats said that it was very balanced). I guess the new players have finally started to learn how to play aliens.

2-3 weeks ago people said that marines were OP and always won (even though the stats said that it was very balanced). I guess the new players have finally started to learn how to play aliens.

Aliens have also gotten buffed for pub play in some ways.

These buffs made them more interesting in competitive matches though.

HolyTaco

Really loving this game, unfortunately limited to playing at 720p with mid settings to get decent performance but at least it's playable. Yeah, this is the best multi shooter I've played in a long time, and I never got much into NS1 so it's all new to me, makes me want to upgrade my rig so much ;_;

HolyTaco

I mostly play on Australasian servers and win more often than not with Aliens. Aliens with a couple good skulks can easily decimate marine expansion and Onos have always been OP

bdrob

Haven't been around much recently due to exams, but having finished my last one today I treated myself to some more NS, and it was glorious!

The game is playing as great as ever and the community still rocks.

My only complaint is that I really need to upgrade. Did some tests tonight and while the game doesn't stress my graphics card at all I get constant judders, glitches and choppy framerate - think my Q6600 is on it's last legs and / or 4 gigs of ram just doesn't cut it anymore.

Please Santa ...

Haven't been around much recently due to exams, but having finished my last one today I treated myself to some more NS, and it was glorious!

The game is playing as great as ever and the community still rocks.

My only complaint is that I really need to upgrade. Did some tests tonight and while the game doesn't stress my graphics card at all I get constant judders, glitches and choppy framerate - think my Q6600 is on it's last legs and / or 4 gigs of ram just doesn't cut it anymore.

Please Santa ...

Yeah my computer is missing a graphics card currently so I am reluctant to play. I was enjoying my ultra smooth FPS with SLI (but alas no more).

I hope this game goes on sale during the steam sale as daily deal. I've got a few friends that want to pick it up. I've been enjoying the hell out of it so far.

equil

Anyone know why this game won't run my gtx690 in multi gpu? Its making half the card run at 98% and the other half at like 1-2%

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Giving my recommendation on this, one of my absolute favorite team multiplayer games with some great developers behind it. Cheapest it's ever been right now too.

I bought it, if not to sit on it until I get a better video card.

Was a big fan of the original.

Right now I have a quad core 3.2, Radeon HD4850 (yes its getting pretty old now) and 4GB Ram. On first run I have some stuttering, 30-40 fps and adjusting the settings doesn't seem to affect the fps. Is this expected for my set up or is there some more tweaking I can do?

bee

played one game last night and loved it. there was a guy on our team telling everyone what to do, i just ran around as the alien thing chewing ankles :p is there some kind of skill based movement on the aliens? couldn't quite work it out. seems much more quakey than other shooters though which is most definitely a good thing with me

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So guys, if I were to pick this up, it'd be completely without a microphone. That viable?
Viable though you might not want to play as a commander (given you likely shouldn't until you have a better handle on the game anyway). Microphones can help and communication does play a role here, but quick commands and team and all text chat also work fine in the game, and haven't been hindered by not having one in matches while playing.

Opiate

If you would like some education on the game, please PM me. The in game tutorial is bad, and I thoroughly enjoy helping people. Plus I will talk to you, and you can hear my IRL robot voice.

So guys, if I were to pick this up, it'd be completely without a microphone. That viable?

It will be better to have one, but not detrimental. If you want to join a clan or do competitive play however, you will be required to have a mic.

Just try your best to type out information. It'll be really hard as commander without a mic, so I suggest getting really familiar with the game before you command.

played one game last night and loved it. there was a guy on our team telling everyone what to do, i just ran around as the alien thing chewing ankles :p is there some kind of skill based movement on the aliens? couldn't quite work it out. seems much more quakey than other shooters though which is most definitely a good thing with me

While chewing ankles is fun as hell, make sure you listen to the commander so you can actually win the game. Having a kill-death ratio of 50-3 is great and all, but I've lost plenty of games where my KDR is that high and the rest of my team isn't coordinating. Although being able to kill is important in this game, the game is won in key moments in the right place and time and your commander (should) have a sense for when that is and be able to prepare for it.

Don't be that pub!

As for movement, as a Skulk (the alien that you start with) you can increase your running speed temporarily by jumping off walls and ceilings. They've changed the walljump mechanic a couple times, but basically if you jump right as you touch the wall, you'll get a speed increase. Same with falling a vertical distance; this increases speed as well.

Bought this in the sale, looking forward to playing it.

How's the community? Is there still quite a few people playing it? Also, are they forgiving at all of newbs, as long as I'm not overly stupid?

Ferrio

Banned
Bought this in the sale, looking forward to playing it.

How's the community? Is there still quite a few people playing it? Also, are they forgiving at all of newbs, as long as I'm not overly stupid?

Game I was in last night there were quite a few people bitching about new people. New people have their names in green (though you can toggle that off in the options).

Game I was in last night there were quite a few people bitching about new people. New people have their names in green (though you can toggle that off in the options).

If the release is any indication, everyone will learn in about a week's time.

As with any game (especially like DOTA and LoL) people will bitch about new people, and understandably so because it is a game that heavily relies on team play. Just do your best to learn the game and you will be rewarded with excellent games down the road.

Right now I have a quad core 3.2, Radeon HD4850 (yes its getting pretty old now) and 4GB Ram. On first run I have some stuttering, 30-40 fps and adjusting the settings doesn't seem to affect the fps. Is this expected for my set up or is there some more tweaking I can do?

The game is just poorly optimized at the moment. I think it doesn't even take advantage of multicore cpus. That's why I quit playing it, I'll probably get back into it in few months. Playing Path of Exile now.

I also like NS1 better, gorge is boring now :(

Shambles

I'm in a group of 4 people trying to play the game from the same house. 3 of us can connect to a server that one of us hosts but I can't connect as a 4th player. Has anyone else had issues like this? The forums are useless.

To be more clear, the server does not show up on the server list at all. Other servers show up fine and I can connect to them. Trying to connect to the local IP address also fails and then breaks the games 'authentification'

I'm in a group of 4 people trying to play the game from the same house. 3 of us can connect to a server that one of us hosts but I can't connect as a 4th player. Has anyone else had issues like this? The forums are useless.

To be more clear, the server does not show up on the server list at all. Other servers show up fine and I can connect to them. Trying to connect to the local IP address also fails and then breaks the games 'authentification'

Be sure first of all that you are not being blocked by windows firewall or something. This happens quite often.

Beyond that, I would recommend switching the hosts to your computer or to someone else's.
I wish I could help man. The game is awesome!

The game is just poorly optimized at the moment. I think it doesn't even take advantage of multicore cpus. That's why I quit playing it, I'll probably get back into it in few months. Playing Path of Exile now.

I also like NS1 better, gorge is boring now :(

Ah ok, I hope they fix that up, I like the game its just that issue for me right now. I''ll probably pick up a new gpu this year once they drop down in prices. We gave it a spin on my bro's rig and it was so much better at 60 fps.

Learning a lot of stuff off the NS wiki, is there a specific guide for commander build priority? That's probably my weakest area right now. I had not known gorges could slide or that fade's could double jump, or that charging and then left click as onos does bonus damage.

I'm in love with the flamethrower on marine side, so awesome, and I love how it dissipates the spore clouds.

Also I don't recall the map name but I'm wondering if it was ported to ns2 yet. It took place on a spaceship and you could go up to the cockpit, I think the marines usually built their command center in a rectangular room that had an elevator for an entrance.

Top Bottom