• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Natural Selection 2 |OT| You're Squad 5

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'd be happy to Khaarm, and I'm sure I could brush up on the marine comm if we got the numbers.

As an aside: Youtube Tutorial (Worth a watch!)

I'm down for either, to be honest. I've been getting some time in on both sides, but I think I might like the structure building process of the marines a little more.

Btw, if any gaffers want to play tonight, I'm up for it.

I just caved and picked this up tonight. I ended up having a game go back and forth for an hour. Was absolutely awesome. I sure hope th community stays strong, I could see myself playing this for awhile.

ack, just had my first game where teammates constantly called each other names and told everyone they sucked and whatnot. This was in a game where the other team had 1-2 resource nodes the whole game, so we were never losing.

After telling people to stop calling each other faggot I got told such choice lines as:

welcome to the internet
I'm old enough to use this word and anything else
they called me son

20 seconds later the admin came on and told them to stfu.

SparkTR

Ack.. I hate being the aliens.. I suck so bad.. I'm bad enough as a Marine for petes sake..lol

Just keep playing as them, once you get used to to how they work all you'll want to play is a Fade with blink. I see way too many people stack the marine team when there's a whole other side of the game to master.

elfinke

NS1 was easily my favourite HL1 mod and this looks great. Any Aussies in here playing it? Are there many local full servers? Failing that, is playing with a higher ping on a US server still enjoyable?

Quoting myself for critical damage: I had a hunt around the OCAU forums and saw a fairly vibrant community over there, which I guess bodes well for server support?

The game is performance hog, which it really shouldn't be considering its a bunch of corridors. Though it's mainly cpu related because I have 0 ms wait time on the gpu.

Hopefully their particle optimization patch will work wonders. Any time there's a group of marines firing my fps drops horribly.

Where did you see a post about a particle optimization patch? Cannot seem to find any info...

Let me check the Dev Stalker

tci

I'm heading off from work soon. Will be ready to play in a few hours. So who's up for some games later?

SparkTR

Quoting myself for critical damage: I had a hunt around the OCAU forums and saw a fairly vibrant community over there, which I guess bodes well for server support?

There's plenty of Australian servers and players at the moment, and if this is like NS1 they'll stick around for years.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm free for the rest of the evening if anyone wants to play tonight. I've got an early day tomorrow, but I should be available for at least a few games.

vocab

ack, just had my first game where teammates constantly called each other names and told everyone they sucked and whatnot. This was in a game where the other team had 1-2 resource nodes the whole game, so we were never losing.

After telling people to stop calling each other faggot I got told such choice lines as:

welcome to the internet
they called me son

lol videogames

elfinke

There's plenty of Australian servers and players at the moment, and if this is like NS1 they'll stick around for years.

Great - that's kind of what I expected. Alright, I'm in for $25 tonight. This will be my palette cleanser in between XCOM missions - that game and those aliens are busting my balls so NS2 will be a chance to retort personally!

welcome to the internet
they called me son

I have been seeing a lot of this lately. The community was fantastic at launch but is starting to degenerate to some degree. I have been running into a lot of the "pro gamer" types that bitch and complain about everything and take the game way too seriously.

I have been seeing a lot of this lately. The community was fantastic at launch but is starting to degenerate to some degree. I have been running into a lot of the "pro gamer" types that bitch and complain about everything and take the game way too seriously.

I try and stick to a regular grouping of servers. This usually will not occur then

PostLaunchStatsRelease_800x450.jpg

Xyber

Just played my first full game as a commander and we actually won. :p Got some help from my friend who has some experience with commanding, so it probably went a lot better than it should have. :p It was really fun though. Got a little hectic when everyone wanted health, ammo and orders all over the map. So now I know why the commander don't always give me the stuff I need sometimes. :p

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
One million $ in revenue and it just begins. For a small-sized studio it's very good.

tci

Just played my first full game as a commander and we actually won. :p Got some help from my friend who has some experience with commanding, so it probably went a lot better than it should have. :p It was really fun though. Got a little hectic when everyone wanted health, ammo and orders all over the map. So now I know why the commander don't always give me the stuff I need sometimes. :p
Yea, can be hectic as a commander. I have little experience with it myself, but been assisting a few via chat when few players had com.

What's most important for a player, is that you don't scream back to him about needing ammo etc. It just throws people off commanding. Just ask polite and relaxed each time and it will be much better.

Well guys, I am an idiot. I missed my flight to london so I will be home this weekend. Anyone wanna catch a game and watch the tournament live? I am up for it

bdrob

Damn fella, sorry to hear that!

Usually I'd be up for it, but unfortunately I'm out this weekend. I'll be about Sunday evening UK time if there are still games going though.

I am not certain if anyone else has been following this but the game has been getting really rave reviews from almost every place that reviews it. Except for one: Gamespot. It got a 6/10.

Normally this would not be anything to take not of but the review itself is kind of written as if the person only played the game for about 20 minutes and is inlaid with a lot of strange criticism.

Anyways, since the review has been posted and there was incredibly negative feedback toward it via user comments (300 or so gamespot users questioning the content of the review), the score appears to have been taken down.

At least I think it has been taken down. The score is missing from this link

You can see the old score by performing a search and looking on metacritic, but the review no longer has a score associated with it anymore. No one from UWE contacted gamespot to prompt this according to official word.

Anyone up for a game tonight EU?

Ricker

What's with the weird point of view in this game ,looks like you are looking through those little things on doors to see who is knocking...totally turns me off in trying this.

SparkTR

What's with the weird point of view in this game ,looks like you are looking through those little things on doors to see who is knocking...totally turns me off in trying this.

For some alien classes your view is through the mouth so you can get feedback from attacks. Marines side is pretty much standard FPS view for everything except mechs and commander. Unless you're talking about the FoV, which can be adjusted in-game.

There are a number of game mechanic and balance reasons for the view being inside the alien mouth for some classes. Marines get muzzle flashes when shooting which are disorienting, aliens get their view partially obscured while biting. Aliens need to see when their bite connects other wise it is hard to time attacks, also it visually connects the player with their role more so.

A little strange at first if you are new to the series and do not know much about it. But believe me... it is in there for a pretty darn good reason. I recommend you try it out!

Phandy

Really expected much better sales numbers than that. 150k is not great considering how well its reviewing, and the Natural Selection name has some pedigree to it. I think all the bad press/word of mouth around the beta (alpha) might of actually had some effect. I see a lot of people saying "is it fixed since the beta was so buggy?". I would of imagined that maybe almost 20k or so of those are all preorders from a long time ago too.

Shame really, this is still one of the most interesting shooters out there and its still pretty much the same as NS1. I hope 150k is good enough for the guys to keep working on this. Would love new maps, especially combat maps!

Really expected much better sales numbers than that. 150k is not great considering how well its reviewing, and the Natural Selection name has some pedigree to it. I think all the bad press/word of mouth around the beta (alpha) might of actually had some effect. I see a lot of people saying "is it fixed since the beta was so buggy?". I would of imagined that maybe almost 20k or so of those are all preorders from a long time ago too.

Shame really, this is still one of the most interesting shooters out there and its still pretty much the same as NS1. I hope 150k is good enough for the guys to keep working on this. Would love new maps, especially combat maps!

I talked to charlie at PAX and they also recently have been talking about this, but the game's sales are actually really good for their costs. They will and shall be supporting the game for a long while. Being number 1 on steam for almost an entire week is a big deal. I am pretty sure that they are set for a while just from that.

Phandy

I talked to charlie at PAX and they also recently have been talking about this, but the game's sales are actually really good for their costs. They will and shall be supporting the game for a long while. Being number 1 on steam for almost an entire week is a big deal. I am pretty sure that they are set for a while just from that.

Thats great news. If its good enough to keep these guys afloat then I'm very happy for em.
One of the best produced indy games in a while tbh and they deserve it.

Thats great news. If its good enough to keep these guys afloat then I'm very happy for em.
One of the best produced indy games in a while tbh and they deserve it.

Considering how the engine is custom, I'd say it's fucking amazing. Despite the fact that it requires a bit of processing power, it's one of the most impressive indie titles I've seen in terms of overall technical look.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

You have to consider the context. Multiplayer only indie games usually crater and crater hard. All things considered, they're doing phenomenally well.

SparkTR

Can you play with a controller? Does it work with Big Picture?

I don't know if it's supported, but you won't be effective in combat. You'll need twitch aiming and precision to take enemies down unless you play a support role, and even then it'll be difficult.

I cannot stop playing this game. I have tons of other stuff to get to including Forza Horizon and AC3 and I haven't touched them in days.

bdrob

The VODs should be available on that twitch stream that I linked.

Don't know how I missed them!

Really enjoyed watching those games and it was good to see Archaea actually drop a couple of maps, they're not completely invincible!

Hoping I actually get to play some this weekend rather then just spectating (as much as I love to watch competitive matches), just been so busy this week.

Top Bottom