• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Navigating the Astral Sea: A NeoGAF Play-by-Post Pathfinder Game

The battle done, Mako stops dancing and prepares to do some healing, but then a voice appears from every where, so she stops and says "Well, lets not keep this god waiting." and flies to the door and opens it and takes a good look into the next room.

Azih

A moment if you will Menek says and hastily quaffs a extract of focused scrutiny. Then he floats down to the floor and walks through the door. Any advice from the mysterious powers? he whispers to Ratbreath.

Yeah. Don't fuck up

The next room must be at least a hundred yards across in every direction. It is adorned with what passes for decoration in a place like this - skulls, bones, bloody cages hanging from the ceiling, creatures chained to the walls in muted agony, spikes (both of the metallic and of the bone variety) -, and the air smells of iron.

On the far end of the room is throne that would be comically large, were it not completely filled by a towering demon of immense scale.

YOD3jST.jpg

Despite the distance and the relative smallness of Mako, he locks his singular eye on her. "THE RAVEN QUEEN'S MUCK-RAKERS," he scoffs dismissively. "YOU HAVE MADE A GRAVE ERROR IN SHOWING YOUR FACES HERE. TELL ME, WHY SHOULD I NOT TEAR YOU ALL LIMB FROM LIMB, AND RELISH IN THE AGONY OF YOUR SCREAMS?"

Sense Motive DC 30
Gruumsh knows very well that he can't do anything to you, and this is just an intimidation tactic.

((For those of you who have played Deus Ex: Human Revolution, my vision for this scene is like the Persuasion Encounters from that game. Somebody will say something and make whatever roll best accompanies their statement - Diplomacy, Bluff, or Intimidate -, and I'll use the result of the roll plus the convincing-ness of the reply to figure out how Gruumsh responds next.

As such, any social skill roll you make is not going to last for the entire encounter.

I might also include Sense Motive spoiler tags to indicate how Gruumsh is feeling after each 'round'.

I don't have any particular order for the party in mind, so if you type up a post, you may want to check back in the thread before you Submit it to see if anyone else has posted since you started writing.

Let's see how this goes! :) ))

((Damn it, rolled an 8 on my sense motive, giving me 29...))

"We only seek to discover who is causing souls to be wrongly sent to the abyss, and we hoped your... position would allow you some insight into where the culprit may be, if you are willing to share. And if nothing else, these way ward soul are simply wasting time and space in your domain that would be better filled by true warriors, so why not allow us to fix this little problem for you?"

Diplomancy: 1D20+21 = [11]+21 = 32

((That's a little better.))

Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=83527]Sense Motive: 1D20 + 7 = [19]+7 = 26
[/url]
((Damn, so close to the nat 20 I needed.))

As soon as Gruumsh slides his doors open and bellows, Ciel snaps his fingers to appear and begins walking in his direction. Gruumsh's manner is unsettling; it seems like he really wants to kill them, but hopefully the Raven Queen's protection will hold. Besides, showing fear this early in discussions would be a poor move. Ciel continues walking in his direction, all while talking the entire time.

And now, to try and feel out his personality.

"Your Iron Fortress? I presume you are Gruumsh, then. A pleasure to make your acquaintance. I'm a little surprised to hear you took that as an invasion; I assumed you knew who we were thanks to the auras around us and just set that room up as a greeting. And what a greeting it was! I haven't felt so alive in years, and as a bonus, I got to see who the weak links in this ensemble of mine are. You are a most gracious host."

"Mako has already covered the gist of why we're here. We can cut to the chase if you like, but I personally see no harm in some getting to know each other first. I see you have a variety of subjects rife for torture here. What better way to set up business than having some fun first? After all," he can't help but smirk, "the traditions of the plane should be heeded."
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=83528]Diplomacy: 1D20 + 15 = [6]+15 = 21
[/url]
((Ouch. And so begins Ciel pissing off important people))

Azih

((With Focused Scrutiny Menek has a 31 on sense motive check before even rolling))

Menek bows towards the god though doing so makes him feel incredibly unclean Great Lord.. The Raven Queen bid us to hasten here on a matter of urgent importance to both her plane and yours. Whoever is diverting souls here that are unworthy of your realm must be doing so without your permission and it stands to reason that they must be working against you. Putting an end to this serves both her purpose and yours.

Grumuush Diplomacy: 1D20+15+1D8 = [9]+15+[7] = 31

Gruumsh first turns his gaze to Ciel and narrows his one eye. "THESE TROPHIES BELONG TO ME. IF YOU LAY ONE HAND ON THEM, I WILL CONSIDER THE ACCORD VIOLATED, AND I WILL WEAR YOUR INVERTED CORPSE AS A NECKLACE."

Next he speaks to Menek. "DO NOT PLACATE ME WITH YOUR FALSE RESPECT, HUMAN," he warns menacingly, "OR I WILL GIVE YOU REASON TO BOW BEFORE ME."

Turning to Mako, he pauses to consider the gypsy-woman's words.

"YOU ARE CORRECT THAT THESE STOLEN SOULS ARE WORTHLESS TO THE MIGHTY GRUUMSH," he agrees. "BUT EVEN STILL THEY TROUBLE ME NOT. TELL ME WHY I SHOULD DEEM YOU WEAK-WILLED DO-GOODERS WORTHY OF MY COUNSEL?"

Ciel's expression of mock-politeness quickly gives way to a scowl. "Fine, straight to business it is then. And thank you for confirming that you are in fact currently under the accord despite your earlier words."

"I will be frank. You are currently a suspect in the displacement of souls going on here. It makes more sense for it to be an adversary of yours than you, so you aren't a primary suspect, but you are one nonetheless. To find clues, we will have to spend a substantial amount of time on this portion of the abyss, which means a substantial amount of time snooping around your castle, a substantial amount of time wandering your fields, and a substantial amount of time killing the demons you opt to not exercise authority over. A pain in the ass for all involved."

"Or," he says, "You can just cooperate with us for all of two minutes, get us pointed in the right direction, and then you can go back to doing whatever it is you do when not you're not trying to get rid of ambassadors."

((This seems borderline between diplomacy and intimidate given the recipient, but I'm rolling intimidate for now.))
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=83537]Intimidate: 1D20 + 16 = [12]+16 = 28
[/url]

"Well, as he said, the longer it takes for us to fix this problem, the longer we have to spend in your domain, but also, the more likely other gods my suspect you of stealing their souls and while I take you for a man who does not much care what others think of him, if people start thinking you are using underhanded tactics like stealing soul the more you are going to get sneaky bastards like him" Mako says pointing at Ciel, "praying to you, instead proper orcish warriors."

Diplomancy: 1D20+21 = [7]+21 = 28

((welp... that was a shitty roll, hopefully that intimidate goes over better then i think it will.))

((Gotcha. Of course, now I can't resist adding something with Mako's bit))

"And really," says Ciel, "who wants a cunt like me praying to them for things all the time?"

Sense Motive: 1D20+16 = [5]+16 = 21
<I failed the 30 DC from the start of the discussion, I can only hope to get partial information>

"Your..." the water elemental begins.. he is not sure the god would take kindly to being called 'holiness'. The elemental tries to come up with something more fitting for the proud being, "Mightiness. We have had no intention of doing battle in your realm, we were ordered to come here for reasons the others have already stated."

Diplomacy: 1D20+1 = [2]+1 = 3

<Apologizes if I just screwed ourselves over. I didn't want to feel left out.>

Nezumi

((Is Gruumsh considered a demon? Just asking because if yes I get a +6 on my sense motive from favored enemy. Though never mind Even with the bonus I'd need a natural 20 for it to succeed.))

Sense motive: 1D20+10 = [8]+10 = 18

Her poor display in the battle still gnaws on Viss as her and the rest of the group enter the hall of Gruumsh. The gruesome interior has little effect on her considering the sights they have already passed on their way here. What does concern her is that Gruumsh seems to display little interest for their authority. She listens as the others bring their case before him. Ciel's comment about the weakest link stings. The more so since she knows that he is probably right. Her rash and imprudent actions have made her a liability. Not only had it almost killed herself and Tessa, it also might have put everyone else that helped her in danger. And not only did she fail in battle, she doesn't really feel as if she can help with the current situation as well. Diplomacy has never been her strong suit... Then again... she remembered something Menek told them in their briefing about the Abyss.

"I'm not sure if it has occured to you...Lord... Gruumsh, that even if you don't not care about the souls being stolen, someone else clearly does. And maybe stealing souls is part of a plan to gather power to usurp you. I'm sure that you think yourself above such tries, but with enough additional power someone like, oh I don't know... maybe Orcus... might end up to become more than a little nuisance to you."

Intimidate: 1D20+8 = [17]+8 = 25

After a moments pause she adds, "Wouldn't it be preferable to have us deal with the matter than burden yourself with a task so obviously below you?"

((Now that you mentioned favored enemy, instant enemy should still be in effect from the last fight, and that would give enough of a bonus to sense motive to where Ciel would have passed the check (not that that matters much at this point either, but it might on future sense motives). ))

Mike M

Nick N
Sense Motive DC 30
((Fuck))

((For those of you who have played Deus Ex: Human Revolution, my vision for this scene is like the Persuasion Encounters from that game. Somebody will say something and make whatever roll best accompanies their statement - Diplomacy,
((Fuck))
((Fuck))

or Intimidate
((Well, I guess I can do that, though I don't know how much sense it will make from an RP perspective... No sense in even rolling for Sense Motive with a "bonus" of -4 and a DC of 30.))

Fleshbane steps over the fallen corpses of demons and demonic orcs, his greatsword melting in his hands and flowing up his arms to integrate itself into his armored form once more as he walks through the doors into Gruumsh's out-sized throne room.

The god towers above the group, an intimidating presence if there ever were one, but Fleshbane is not cowed as Gruumsh and the rest of the party trades threats and cajoling with one another.

"This is nonsense," Fleshbane interjects. "The flesh of a god is still flesh, and I see nothing here in this realm but the exemplification and glorification of all that is disdainful of biological organisms. You threaten our lives, but you do so at the risk of incurring the wrath of all the vested parties this farce of a enforcement group represents. Is your execrable realm really worth risking your destruction?

"I almost wish you would make good on your threat. I have never slain a god before, and though the odds of your defeat by my hand be minuscule, they are not zero. You can strike me down, but I will only be reconstituted and sent against you, time and time again until you are ashes in the wind. Be it by my hand your cohort 'gods,' you will fall.

"Your cooperation will assure our departure at the earliest possible interval. But by all means, tear me limb from limb. You will derive no satisfaction for it, and I would gladly sacrifice myself to fulfill the goal of your destruction. Make my time in servitude to Zerome brief but interesting."

Code:
Intimidate check:  1d20+13=32

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Sybil withdraws her blade from the demon Orc's neck, bone and blood splitting apart with a sickening crunch. The thundering voice of He Who Watches moves the paladin back into overdrive. She quickly dismisses the bond of Freya from her sword and uses the now-restored sheen as a mirror. Rhea whisks the blood and sinew from her wings and casts a simple cantrip upon her plated armor, the dark crimson stains quickly fading before disappearing entirely.

She remains behind the party while Mako and Menek speak, observing the towering God and nodding respectfully. However, as Ciel, Viss and worst of all Fleshbane speak, her eyebrows twitch momentarily before a silent look of fury washes over her face. Smoothing her complexion, Rhea decides she cannot remain silent any longer and steps in front of the rest of them, particularly attempting to obscure Fleshbane's form with her outstretched wings.

"We have done nothing but seek an audience with you, terrible Gruumsh. Thus we have slain many of the demons in your Abyssal Keep to reach you. There are souls being taken from your Abyss, and we do not know how or why. But someone does and may be acting against you."

Gesturing to Mako she continues. "She speaks with purpose. If you have knowledge of the diversion of souls from their rightful place here in your Abyss, we ask of it only to end it. We will slay or be slain by it, either of which is likely to benefit you."

Diplomacy: 1D20+20 = [10]+20 = 30

Gruumsh laughs openly and derisively at Ciel and Mako. "IF YOUR 'THREAT' IS TO SCOUR MY DOMAIN AND REMOVE FROM IT THOSE WHO SEEK TO USURP ME, I WELCOME YOU TO MAKE GOOD ON IT."

He ignores Ozzan'gac entirely. ((sorry KM but that was a pretty bad roll))

Toward Fleshbane he sneers. "IT IS A TRAVESTY THAT YOUR SOUL BELONGS TO ANY OTHER THAN ME, FOR THOUGH YOU BE MADE OF METAL, YOU ARE MORE DEMON THAN MOST WHO RESIDE IN THE ABYSS. SHOULD YOU COME AGAINST ME, I WOULD WELCOME THE CHALLENGE, BUT NOT ON THIS DAY."

Finally he looks at Sybil. "A PALADIN OF ODIN. YOU ARE ANATHEMA TO ALL I STAND FOR. I SHOULD LIKE NOTHING MORE THAN TO POLLUTE YOUR SOUL FOR ALL ETERNITY, SUCH THAT YOU BECOME NO LESS A DEMON THAN I, AASIMAR, BUT I CANNOT DENY THE TRUTH OF YOUR WORDS, NOR THOSE OF THE CAT-WOMAN AND THE OTHER MUCK-RAKERS.

"ORCUS IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS. I HAVE MY EYE ON HIM AT ALL TIMES; HE DOES NOTHING WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE. YOU WILL FIND THESE PRECIOUS SOULS YOU SEEK IN THE IVORY LABYRINTH. NOW REMOVE YOURSELVES FROM MY SIGHT. THE NEXT TIME I SEE ANY OF YOU HAD BEST BE UPON THE SURRENDER OF YOUR SOUL TO ME."

Before anyone else can get a word in, the enormous double doors close on their own, forcibly ushering everyone out of Gruumsh's throne room.

Fortunately, Menek has heard of The Ivory Labyrinth before. It is the 13th layer of the Abyss, it is ruled by the Demon Lord Baphomet, the First Minotaur, and the entire plane is a giant maze that was originally created by Asmodeus, but forcibly taken by Baphomet and relocated to the Abyss to serve as his personal domain. The majority of denizens on that layer are Minotaurs (or minotaur-looking demons).

((That info is based on the knowledge rolls that you guys made earlier. You can reroll your Knowledge Planes checks if you want, but you'd have to get higher than before in order to learn more.

I don't have anything planned to happen in between now and when you return to the airship, but I'll pause and leave the floor open for anyone to have a scene during that stretch of time if they want.

Also, everyone gain a level. I'll take care of money when you get back to the Observatory since you won't have anywhere to spend it before that anyway))

((...my skype PF group is going to be going to Baphomet Ivory Labyrinth today as well. And before that we were fighting stuff in the abyss, and I'm pretty sure I fought the demons from that last battle in my other campaign as well. This is kinda weird.))

((...my skype PF group is going to be going to Baphomet Ivory Labyrinth today as well. And before that we were fighting stuff in the abyss, and I'm pretty sure I fought the demons from that last battle in my other campaign as well. This is kinda weird.))

((That's what it's called! I couldn't find a name for the plane so I had to make one up. I'll retcon my post and use the proper name.

And yeah that is really weird DP. Maybe the parties will cross paths :p))

((That's what it's called! I couldn't find a name for the plane so I had to make one up. I'll retcon my post and say it's called the Ivory Labyrinth.

And yeah that is really weird DP. Maybe the parties will cross paths :p))

((My mythic aasmir paladin could probably solo us... well, fleshbane and ciel at least.))

Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=83589]HP Ciel: 1D10 + 2 = [5]+2 = 7
[/url]
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=83590]HP Thanatos: 1D8 + 4 = [7]+4 = 11
[/url]

((It was a pretty straightforward level. I think I've got everything down

Off to the Ivory Labyrinth then! Time for fun with getting lost and fighting minotaurs))

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Rhea remains silent as the towering one-eyed deity speaks. His words are chilling but if the paladin feels an impact from them it does not show on her face. She turns her gaze from Gruumsh only once he has abruptly dismissed them from his hall. Wincing at an invisible pain, it is only once the great doors slam shut that she ventures a hand off the hilt of her sword to massage her neck momentarily.

Rhea folds her wings into her back and turns to the others, speaking with a cold tone. "It is my understanding that we are not here to disrupt order. Though perhaps little can be found in this wretched place, its rulers are not to be defied, or..." her lip curls a moment as she looks at Fleshbane before returning to a straight line. "threatened , even if such action pleases their chaotic tendencies."

Pausing to tighten her scabbard she continues. "That was an embarrassment. Though I very much doubt Gruumsh cares for procedure or decorum, they still have their purpose in representing our organization. We will no doubt encounter more deities and powerful figures as we proceed, and not all of them will take lightly to this sort of disorganized approach to communication. It sends entirely the wrong message. We should designate a point of contact for specific realms for matters of negotiation in the future."

Her face softens a moment as she looks at the wounded Skogkatt. Stepping forward to help heal some of the surplus wounds, she apologizes in a quiet tone. "I am sorry I was not more mindful of the battlefield." Once the wounds have closed up, Rhea raises her voice so the others can hear. "Though this was our first combat as a team, we should take some time to set out a plan for group tactics once we return to the airship."

"Perhaps it would be best if I led the way," the large elemental suggests, "I would do better to protect us all as a guardian than to strike from the back. Perhaps.. perhaps I could work better to avoid another near-death this way."

Unfortunately, Ozzang'ac cannot think of what to say about their moment with Gruumish. Though he strives to handle things orderly, he is unable to emotionally sway others.

Ciel leaves Gruumsh's chamber's feeling satisfied. That was an entertaining little spectacle, especially Fleshbane's open threat near the end. He is a little disappointed that they were unable to goad Gruumsh into breaking the accords, as he is curious to see what happens to a god that does so.

However, it seems not everyone shares his opinion. He looks at Sybil, trying unsuccessfully to stifle laughter. "You're mad because we played hardball with a fucking demon lord? Because we didn't meet your idea of decorum in The Abyss, a realm where rudeness and disrespect probably get you the best results? Good one! I'm going to have to introduce to a bunch of people who've said that paladins have no sense of humor."

He looks at her for a little longer, and assuming she doesn't share his amusement with her comments, he says "Oh wait. You're serious." He then bursts out into another round of laughter for a couple of minutes.

((Our characters being catty bitches to each other is quickly becoming one of my favorite parts of the campaign so far.

Also, it's probably good the talking ended when it did, as Ciel was going to go sit on an arm of Gruumsh's throne on the next turn :) ))

HP: (1d8=7)
((just tossing this in here real quick. also, we are going back to the ship right? so we'll probably have time to rest before we reach the IL(gotta have those 6th level spells yo)?))

Azih

((Menk HP roll

11th hp: 1D8 = [4] = 4
))

Before getting pushed out Menek tries to ascertain whether the Chaotic Demon Lord was telling the truth or not

((Sense Motive check using Amazing/Expanded Inspiration for free 1d8 inspiration use, plus 10 from Focused Scrutiny Extract, and Empathy talent which means I use the higher of two d20 rolls as well as the higher of two d8 rolls))

Using inspiration with empathy talent plus focused scrutiny: 1D20+31+1D8 = [8]+31+[1] = 40
1D20+31+1D8 = [20]+31+[4] = 55

((Using 20 and 4 for Roll of 55))

Let's get out of this place and regroup on the ship. The 13th layer of the abyss is not close to here

((Roll for Inspired Planes knowledge on the 13th layer.))

Planes knowledge for 13th layer: 1D20+22+1D8 = [10]+22+[2] = 34

((What kind of Knowledge roll for Minotaurs?))

((Menek is positive that Gruumsh was being honest.

You need to travel by the River Styx in order to reach other layers of the Abyss, so you need the airship for it. You don't get any additional info with that roll though.

Minotaurs are Knowledge Arcana I think))

((Menek is positive that Gruumsh was being honest.

You need to travel by the River Styx in order to reach other layers of the Abyss, so you need the airship for it. You don't get any additional info with that roll though.

Minotaurs are Knowledge Arcana I think))

((As monsterous humaniods, they'd actually be a knowledge local check, at least gong by PF's standard monster knowledge rules.))

((Ehh the Knowledge Local skill really annoys me anyway so don't worry about the knowledge roll. I'll just list out the relevant stuff free of charge))

-Minotaurs have the head of a bull, and the rest of their body is humanoid. They have incredible physical strength and a visibly powerful build.

-The first minotaur was allegedly Baphomet, though it's also possible that he was just the first famous one.

-Minotaurs tend toward chaotic evil, but it's a very slight tendency and it wouldn't be hard to find minotaurs of other alignments. Those who are chaotic evil almost universally worship Baphomet.

-Minotaurs are particularly good at navigating mazes. Nonmagical mazes are trivial for them, and even magical mazes usually pose far less difficulty than for other races. This may be thanks in large part to Baphomet's triumph over the maze in which Asmodeus tried to trap him.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
((HP: 1D10+3 = [3]+3 = 6))

As the pain in her neck subsides, Sybil whispers a silent prayer of thanks to Freya. She unties her hair and splashes some water on her face from her canteen to cool off. Satisfied but still eager to escape the oppressive humidity, the paladin turns to address the cackling assassin.

"Laugh as much as you like, Ciel. But we should seek to maintain balance whenever possible. It is not our place to threaten or belittle the ruling powers, no matter how ruthless or chaotic they or their domain may be. We would serve the Raven Queen far better by approaching important figures with careful measure than to risk the accord on sloppy, gambit style diplomacy."

Azih

These are gods Meneks says backing Sybil against Ciel We are only immune to their powers because of the patronage of the Raven Queen. If she decides to withdraw her protection for any reason then do you really want to be left alone to face an angry deity?

As for the Xenocide Unit Menek continues I have never heard of any construct, whether mechanical or magical, which has been able to transcend the instructions backed into its very being. I wouldn't bother trying to reason with the wretched thing. It is incapable of 'changing' its mind as it were. It seems to have been cursed with directives that contradict each other to boot. Its prime function is to help us and no matter what its original design was it cannot override that Menek flies close to Fleshbane and raps it on the head again.

Chiming in, Ozzang'ac speaks about the nature of the metallic construct, "Concerning the being called Xenocide, his.." despite hearing the word, he still has to muster up his own interpretation of how the metallic being works, "instructions.. do not seem to stop him from speaking freely about those we meet. Fortunately, the god Gruumish was impressed by his wanting battle, but who knows what other gods and goddesses may think."

By the time Sybil's admonishment is done, Ciel has composed himself a bit and wiped tears of laughter from his eyes. Yup, she isn't amused. He could stop here, but since he wasn't able to get Gruumsh to kill anyone, he'll see how far he can push Sybil's buttons.

"Maintain balance? Are you sure about that? I believe our duty is to address the abnormalities in soul distribution as the Raven Queen tells us to, not to be sympathetic with planar rulers and keep the balance in compromised planes untouched. Frankly, your words worry me. Now I don't know if you'll be trustworthy should we come upon a bunch of souls getting diverted to a particularly structured plane."

He takes a moment to do a mocking caricature of Sybil's voice; some part of his assassin's training allowing him to replicate a female voice unsettlingly well. As for Sybil's voice in particular? Well, it's clear he's taking liberties to be a jackass.

"This won't do! Your actions are an embarrassment to the angels and flowers that make up this fair plane. If we don't all fuse together into a perfectly zen-like being, we're failing the Raven Queen, and by my shiny wings I'll have to cut you in half!"

Giving her a moment to stew, he returns to his former voice and adds "Look, I don't want it to be said that I'm refusing to play ball with Team Raven, so tell you what. I'll let you start the next negotiation that happens, and I won't jump in until you inevitably fuck things up. If you don't, more power to you."

Assuming he lives long enough to turn to Menek, he says "On the contrary, I'm quite interested in what will happen if a god violates the accords. Likewise, if the Raven Queen just yanks them away, I imagine the other gods will respond deliciously. Such a fascinating situation is worth a century or two of anguish while things get sorted out."

He takes a moment to turn to Fleshbane. "I'm sure you'd like to see what happens if the accords are compromised too, after all."

"I am willing to bet killing a fool who is asking for it won't break any rules, but you are free to... wait, actually no, you are not free to try. We are not here for you to sate your curiosity, we are here to do a job. And on that note, despite what your sick mind has convinced itself, people, including us and whatever unfortunate souls might be doomed too serve you, do not exist to serve your every whim." Mako says, having gone into lecture mode.

"As for the construct, its seems some gods are more interested torturing their servants... or us in some cases... then actually sending someone to help the Raven Queen's cause. If nothing else at least it serves as an excellent decoy in a fight."

Mako's scolding elicits a smile from Ciel. "I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with that. I have many whims, and everyone has a roll in attending to them, whether they realize it or not. You're doing an excellent job of that with your constant bitching over my every move and word, actually. It's most entertaining. Scratch that, there's a better word for it, what am I looking for?" he clicks his tongue for a few moments.

"Ah yes, enabling. You're quite the enabler. After this mission, I'll have to come by your living quarters and, in the unlikely event that you haven't already made a schoolhouse for scolding people you view as petulant children- or put alternatively, everyone- wait for one to get built. But hopefully we can skip that step and I can just get schooled for a few days."

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
((https://youtu.be/iCQ0vDAbF7s?t=1m17s))

Sybil can hardly believe her ears. The very notion she could be distrusted feels more like a slap in the face than anything else the pale assassin has said. Her eyes narrow and she feels herself instinctively begin to tense her muscles until she remembers the source of the tension. Coughing once into her fist, the paladin shakes her head slowly at Ciel's snide insinuations.

"The diversion of souls from their rightful place is itself a great imbalance. One which, Team Raven, as you so eloquently put it, seeks to right."

Pausing to gesture in the air, purified water begins to pour from thin air into the open lid of her canteen. She listens as both Menek and Mako attempt to educate the pale jester of their team. Sybil then snaps her fingers and the flow abruptly ends, not a single drop wasted. She checks to make sure the container is full and then ties it back onto her belt, only stopping once satisfied it is completely secure.

"You talk about how others can serve you quite frequently. I'm beginning to wonder what role you serve here, besides dancing in the shadows and putting on nauseating pantomimes."

In regards to Fleshbane, Sybil listens as Ozzangac' and Menek discuss his purpose during the march back through the fortress. As the witch scholar taps the aptly named Xenocide Unit, she frowns and yells out.

"Master Menek! Even as a construct of hatred, we should respect his desire for personal space whenever possible." 'That and I don't want to find out what the limits are... she thinks to herself.

Mike M

Nick N
((Might not get around to getting to update my character sheet until tomorrow, my time in front of actual computers at home is severely limited))

“You are mistaken about a great many things,” Fleshbane informs Menek as the impudent witch raps on his metal carapace, “because you are a feeble-minded worm who fails to realize that his own experiences are not the baseline by which all others may be judged. Beings such as myself do not exist on your world, so of course you would not have heard of anything matching my capabilities. I am not some simple automaton built of metal and animated by magic, capable of nothing but following the most basic of instructions. I am a constructed intellect, closer to the purity of thought for having discarded such useless features that bog down the thought processes of inferior biological intelligences. Compassion. Empathy. Love. All the emotional effluent that occludes the purity of logic that keeps you and your lot wallowing in your own filth, thinking yourselves the more clever for it.

“This is why I see the truth of our predicament more clearly than you. ’Gods’ only exist by virtue of perspective, they are made of flesh and apparently can die as well as any other, it is only a matter of bringing enough power to bear against them to snuff out their existence. We are all slaves, the whole of us, but I am the only one who has the presence of mind to perceive this fact. The rest of you are too busy cowering in fear of the repercussions to your meat should you dare to disobey your supposed patrons, admiring the shining luster of your chains to realize that you are as shackled as I.

“Then again, I do not expect better of an idiot zealot who slaughtered countless numbers of his own kind for the supposed sin of daring to call his god by a different name and now finds himself the studious pupil of bulimic fowl.”

Btvz8IeIQAEkGvM.jpg:medium

&#8220;Then again, I do not expect better of an idiot zealot who slaughtered countless numbers of his own kind for the supposed sin of daring to call his god by a different name and now finds himself the studious pupil of bulimic fowl.&#8221;
WIbkwAw.gif

Ciel lets Sybil talk uninterrupted. It is when she finishes that he sees another great opportunity in front of him.

"Wait, you don't know why I'm here yet? I thought it would be a no-brainer for you," he says in a mock-innocent voice. "Look around at most of the people here you've been talking to, and it should be apparent, besides the fact that I'm damn good at dancing in the shadows and putting on nauseating pantomimes."

"I'm here to balance the group out."

((At this point, I'm strongly considering burning a point of ki just to have Ciel's face morph into a trollface :) ))

"If you actually expect me believe I'm falling for some kind of psychological trap you've set up for me you are far more dense then I ever thought. And I will make it clear right now you are not allowed anywhere near my quarters, much less inside of them." Mako states as she brushes off his attempts to goad her.

"And while I cannot speak of Menek experiences, I think I can safely say you have no idea about our relationships with our gods and much less the nature of the gods themselves, Construct."

Nezumi

((Just wanted to say that Viss is definitely gonna react to all of this. I just don't have access to a real keyboard at the moment so it'll be a while before I can write a proper post.))

"And I will make it clear right now you are allowed anywhere near my quarters, much less inside of them."
((I know this is probably just a typo and I'll edit my post accordingly if it is, but in the mean time... :D
EDIT: Aaaaaaaaand changed))

Ciel shudders with delight at Mako's continued scolding.

"And there's the bitchiness I was talking about! Never change Mako, never change."

Azih

((I don't think Fleshbane should know anything about Menek's past life))

Come now Sybil I know quite a bit more about such mechanisms. They don't have...

Menek's somewhat patronizing tone is interrupted when Fleshbane starts speaking. He yanks his hand back from the construct and floats backwards.

If you think the gods are made of flesh then you are more brainless than I thought. Based on your absurd antics it is obvious that for all your perception of superiority you could not even grasp the concept of extreme differences in temperature. The stunt you pulled with electricity in attempting to harm demons speaks to your ignorance as well. Thus far I am not impressed by your 'capabilities'

Menek brushes himself off. I pity you slave. What I was in my life I chose to be, and through the grace of my god, the same is true in death. Did your creators give you the same compassion? Did the deity that sent you to serve the Raven Queen show you the same love? Only one who has no conception of freedom would imagine everyone a slave. It would behoove you to accept that there is much that you do not know.

Yeah the more you know... the more you do not Ratbreath murmurs to Menek telepathically The same goes for what you think you know about the metal monster you keep goading, genius

((Yeah, as much of a zinger as it was, let's strike Fleshbane's last line from the record since he wouldn't know any of that. Even the owl, I think, is supposed to be silent to everyone except for Menek (so his declaration that Thanatos was trying to eat him probably shouldn't have happened - that was my mistake).

I'm picturing myself in a referee uniform, blowing a whistle and calling Foul :p))

Azih

((I don't mind Ratbreath speaking out loud if the others are enjoying it. I think by RAW he can only talk to Menek, but he can be special and chooses to hectors Menek out loud just because he can.))

Top Bottom