• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2015- 16 Regular Season IOTI - NBA GAF Is Pretty Dead Considering This Fact

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Wow. GS really cause teams to implode.

GG LeBron. I really hope that he sticks it out with Cleveland if they lose... if he's gonna be causing them to make these decisions

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Of all the problems in Cleveland, I didn't think Blatt was one of them or that he would be fired. I was expecting Love, Shumpert or JR Smith to be traded.

Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN 4m4 minutes ago
James' fondness for Ty Lue and his desire to be coached by a former player were well known in the organization. As were issues with Blatt

Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN 6m6 minutes ago
LeBron James was informed of the decision to fire David Blatt today, he was not consulted on decision sources said

Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN 15m15 minutes ago
Despite up and downs, Blatt has had one ardent supporter in Cavs organization and that was owner Dan Gilbert.

Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN 17m17 minutes ago
Despite positive comments publicly, there had been unrest growing in Cavs locker room. Frankly, it had been there since almost day one.

Hmm... Interesting

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
30 wins with Kyrie missing basically the whole year, Shump missing a good chunk, Mozgov being total trash and the team generally not playing well overall but having the best record in the conference.

Do not buy for a second Lebron had no idea this was happening. Gilbert wouldn't make that type of call without Lebron's input.

BadAss2961

Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN 6m6 minutes ago
LeBron James was informed of the decision to fire David Blatt today, he was not consulted on decision sources said
zhcRQvU.gif

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Isn't Windhorst basically LeBrons personal reporter? I wouldn't trust him saying that Lebron had nothing to do with this.

He inadvertently says as much anyway when he says Gilbert was Blatt's biggest supporter. Gilbert suddenly turned his back on Blatt after they win 30 games with everything going on? Uh, okay.

I had a joke post earlier that I didn't enter. "Kevin Love to the Celtics for Brad Stevens, who says no?" But I didn't think Cleveland was actually considering changing coaches.

There has to be more to this story. Makes no sense. Maybe some scandal or something will come to light soon.

Blatt was on borrowed time and wasn't a LeBron guy. I don't think there is all that much to it. It's a combination of bad/unfortunate roster construction and inability to get guys to work together. Cleveland might be 31-11 but they have not shown any chance at beating the top west teams, which means they aren't title contenders which is unacceptable for a team with a star player who is nearing the end of his prime and is spending a ridiculous amount of money. Granted these things aren't all Blatt's fault ( i would argue most of them aren't even though I don't think he's done a great job) but being the immediate fall guy is part of the gig for a head coach. You can't fire the players or the owner. Wouldn't be surprised if they start seriously exploring Love trades. Love for Dwight?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Blatt was on borrowed time and wasn't a LeBron guy. I don't think there is all that much to it. It's a combination of bad/unfortunate roster construction and inability to get guys to work together. Cleveland might be 31-11 but they have not shown any chance at beating the top west teams, which means they aren't title contenders which is unacceptable for a team with a star player who is nearing the end of his prime and is spending a ridiculous amount of money. Granted these things aren't all Blatt's fault ( i would argue most of them aren't even though I don't think he's done a great job) but being the immediate fall guy is part of the gig for a head coach. You can't fire the players or the owner. Wouldn't be surprised if they start seriously exploring Love trades. Love for Dwight?

Agree with what you're saying but they beat the Warriors twice in the finals. Warriors have proceeded to only lose 4 games total out of their last 43 games. They've basically had more success against the unstoppable juggernaut that any other team in the league.

I don't subscribe to the idea that a good record should preclude a coach from being fired. A bad head coach can win a lot of games in the nba by virtue of having talented players. That doesn't mean they deserve to keep their job. See: Jackson, Mark. As a Laker fan I remember De Harris getting canned the year after leading a super young Shaq/Kobe team to 61 wins.

Agree with what you're saying but they beat the Warriors twice in the finals. Warriors have proceeded to only lose 4 games total out of their last 43 games. They've basically had more success against the unstoppable juggernaut that any other team in the league.

Those games are starting to look more and more flukey the further away we get from them. It was a banged up, unconventional Cavs team against a Warriors team that seemingly needed a couple of games to adjust to the big stage. This season the are not only getting destroyed by the top West teams, but the guy they gave $20 million a year to this offseason looks like a complete liability on the floor in those games. Like I said, not all of that falls on Blatt, but some of it certainly does.

I don't subscribe to the idea that a good record should preclude a coach from being fired. A bad head coach can win a lot of games in the nba by virtue of having talented players. That doesn't mean they deserve to keep their job. See: Jackson, Mark. As a Laker fan I remember De Harris getting canned the year after leading a super young Shaq/Kobe team to 61 wins.

I mostly agree with this but firing the coach of a team leading the conference in the middle of a season is a weird desperate move.

Jason Lloyd ‏@JasonLloydABJ 7m7 minutes ago
Was told repeatedly, "as long as we're winning, there's no story." Guys tolerated Blatt when #Cavs won, blamed him when they lost.

Jason Lloyd ‏@JasonLloydABJ 7m7 minutes ago
Talked to couple vets, came "this close" to writing locker room story after Portland. But #Cavs won at Phx & kept winning, so I backed off

Jason Lloyd ‏@JasonLloydABJ 11m11 minutes ago
LeBron did/said all the right things to publicly support Blatt this year. This was an entire locker room issue. No one connected with him

Jason Lloyd ‏@JasonLloydABJ 12m12 minutes ago
I know LeBron's name will get thrown around a lot in this, but the issues with Blatt went much, much deeper than LeBron James.

Jason Lloyd ‏@JasonLloydABJ 28m28 minutes ago
Source confirms Blatt firing. I'm not overly surprised. I'll have more shortly

^

I mostly agree with this but firing the coach of a team leading the conference in the middle of a season is a weird desperate move.

I think it's an honest move at least if they didn't think Blatt was the guy despite his record, but the Cavs are fucked in many more ways than just who the head coach is.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Not all that surprised, the Cav's offense is a whole lot of 1 on 1 shit. They do not play as a team like GSW and SAS do. The players clearly didn't respect him either.

That would actually make some sense. He seems like he could be a good fit for a rebuilding team.

I sense a backhanded compliment.....nah just joking!

But seriously, I'll take anybody but....you guessed! Byron Scott! Blatt knows what he's doing, but unfortunately when you have such high aspirations for a team, you want to get something even better.

Still hard to believe that the Cavs fired Blatt before the Lakers fired Scott.

Meh, at least we are tanking and have nothing to lose.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'd probably cry tears of joy if the Wolves hired Blatt. Seems too smart for ownership, though. I'm hoping that Joerger gets fired and they hired him. That seems like the best chance they have at a decent coach.

Into

What the fuck

That came out of nowhere

I suppose they kept him after the finals because "Cavs would have won with Kyrie and Love, yall!"

And then they are even worse with those two on the floor for the Warriors.

Why do i have this suspicious feeling they will hire Mark Jackson? Every time he covers Cavs games, he talks them up and defends them.

That would actually make some sense. He seems like he could be a good fit for a rebuilding team.

Id rather have DAntoni part 2 to be honest. And that's not a knock either I think Pringles would do wonders for Russel, Clarkson and Randle's development. Too bad it ended so badly the first time around.

HAHAHAhahahaha

thatsgood.gif

But yeah, on a team where the biggest problems are

- every single player around LeBron being exceptionally good at one thing and terrible-to-average at everything else (and re: the newcomers, this is as much LBJ's fault as it is anyone else's)
- offensive schemes that amount to "sit around and watch LeBron or Kyrie ISO"
- defensive schemes that amount to "switch even when it doesn't make much sense"
- coaching, otherwise

Blatt's status was and is the easiest to change

Why do i have this suspicious feeling they will hire Mark Jackson? Every time he covers Cavs games, he talks them up and defends them.

I'd suspect this too if they didn't immediately sign Lue to a multi-year deal

Top Bottom