• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2015- 16 Regular Season IOTI - NBA GAF Is Pretty Dead Considering This Fact

Pachimari

But what is 6-13, what does those numbers mean? That he had 13 shots and scored 6, and ended up having 24 shots in all and scoring 8 in the whole game?

f75c2c66185d4be15f3c547e9eb533c8.jpg

Warriors on pace for 82 wins.
Curry is on pace to average 40 points a game and hit 400+ 3's this season.

Line_HTX

I like how the Rockets chucked more than 30 threes and I believe they made eight of them?

They're gonna set the record for most missed threes just like the Astros led in strikeouts the whole year.

boxter432

Having so many guards/ball handlers on this team is a detriment to Russell's development. Hopefully Swaggy has a decent first couple of months and we can trade him. It's going to be tough for D'Angelo to find his rhythm in Scott's boneheaded offense and his favoring of Lou/Kobe/Huerta as he desperately tries to save his job. Hopefully next year we get a HC who can instill an offense that helps develop these young guys.

yeah, should have drafted Okafor if you are also going to have Clarkson, Lou and other small guards on the team and Kobe jackin up off balance 3's and long 2's all game.

lol just read this, Kobe gunna Kobe:

"Bryant took 16 contested shots Wednesday, more than twice as many as any other Lakers player. Of his 24 total shots, 20 came outside of the paint. His only assist came with 31 seconds left in the game."

JoeFu

Banned
Mavs team is fun to watch. Kinda crazy how good we looked last night. Tonight will be a bigger test, but really liked what i saw. Will be even better once Parsons is back.

Line_HTX

Just finished the Wolves - Lakers match. Probably the best I have seen yet. What an intense ending wow wow wow. So sad we lost 112-111 but man was this something else. Can't believe we threw away such a lead.

What does rebounds mean? Is that when a shot misses and then you take the ball and scores after the miss?

And what is this about?

Rebounds are taking possession of the ball after a miss. You normally want that stat pretty high, whether it be offensive rebound for 2nd chance points or defensive rebound to get a new possession going. It's more for defensive stat padding.

Pachimari

Rebounds are taking possession of the ball after a miss. You normally want that stat pretty high, whether it be offensive rebound for 2nd chance points or defensive rebound to get a new possession going. It's more for defensive stat padding.

Thank you for explaining this. It makes sense now.

FiveThirtyEight's season forecast:

tMFexpl.png

I seriously don't hope we will end up in last place. That would be super weird to me. =/

I have now watched 4 games of those that have aired. Are teams like Washington, Orlando, Utah, Detroit, Charlotte, Milwaukee, Memphis and such worth following?
I surely will watch all of the teams play during the season, to get a feel for them all though.

Fjordson

I seriously don't hope we will end up in last place. That would be super weird to me. =/

I have now watched 4 games of those that have aired. Are teams like Washington, Orlando, Utah, Detroit, Charlotte, Milwaukee, Memphis and such worth following?
I surely will watch all of the teams play during the season, to get a feel for them all though.
Memphis is always pretty good. Washington is a team on the rise, they have one of the best point guards in the league in John Wall.

Orlando isn't a great team yet, but they're getting better and have a lot of entertaining / young talent.

The others are meh for me.

Honestly, if the Lakers don't make the playoffs (which most likely they won't given how competitive the Western Conference is), they're better off being last. Their draft pick in next year's NBA draft is top 3 protected, which means if their pick is lower than 3, it goes to the 76ers.

1028-steph-curry-ring-2.jpg

That's pretty cool. One fluorescent stone for each championship won by the franchise.

I respect McHale as a person, as a player, as a guy that can get team chemistry going, but man, he's almost always outclassed as a coach. Even Rick Carlisle was coaching better than he was in last year's series. We just had better players. Then we benefited from the Clippers nutting up as they are prone to do.

Idk. He's improved our win/loss ratio every year, but sometimes he just seems like a stubborn bonehead.

overcast

Fifth seed, fuck that shit.
Really, I think seeds 3-7 are gonna be highly contested. IMO the Thunder and Warriors will be the top 2 seeds if they stay healthy. Not that much of an insult to even put us at 7.

Trying not to get too concerned about last night, but obviously game 1-4 at the start of the season are under a harsh microscope.

Cheebo

Banned
I seriously don't hope we will end up in last place. That would be super weird to me.

This is why I recommended picking one of the young up and coming teams to follow rather than the one of the worst teams in the league. :)

All the teams you picked are solid picks either up and coming young teams on the rise or solid playoff contenders, Orlando really isn't that good just yet though. They have potential down the line.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Madridista:

Every year before the NBA Draft takes place, there is a lottery to determine the order teams pick.

They throw a bunch of ping pong balls in a machine, each one assigned to a specific team.

All non-playoff teams are in the lottery. The worse your record, the more ping pong balls your team gets.

They draw to determine who gets the #1-3 picks. The remaining picks are in order of team record, from worst to best, of the non playoff teams. Then, the playoff teams draft, in order of regular season record, from worst to best.

So if you miss the playoffs and have the 5th worst record in the league, you could end up with the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th, or 8th pick, depending on how the lottery goes.

Now, you may have traded away a pick in a prior deal, with caveats which say that if the pick is high or low enough, you get to keep it. If it is "top 5 protected" that means you keep your pick if it's top 5.

In the Lakers case, their pick is top 3 protected. So, they lose the pick unless they miss the playoffs and one of their ping pong balls gets drawn in the lottery for the first 3 picks.

If their pick was top 4 protected, and they finished with the worst record in the league, there would be no way for them to lose the pick, because they could fall no lower than 4th.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Madridista:

Every year before the NBA Draft takes place, there is a lottery to determine the order teams pick.

They throw a bunch of ping pong balls in a machine, each one assigned to a specific team.

All non-playoff teams are in the lottery. The worse your record, the more ping pong balls your team gets.

They draw to determine who gets the #1-3 picks. The remaining picks are in order of team record, from worst to best, of the non playoff teams. Then, the playoff teams draft, in order of regular season record, from worst to best.

So if you miss the playoffs and have the 5th worst record in the league, you could end up with the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th, or 8th pick, depending on how the lottery goes.

Now, you may have traded away a pick in a prior deal, with caveats which say that if the pick is high or low enough, you get to keep it. If it is "top 5 protected" that means you keep your pick if it's top 5.

In the Lakers case, their pick is top 3 protected. So, they lose the pick unless they miss the playoffs and one of their ping pong balls gets drawn in the lottery for the first 3 picks.

If their pick was top 4 protected, and they finished with the worst record in the league, there would be no way for them to lose the pick, because they could fall no lower than 4th.

You also forgot to explain how the system is all rigged and under the whim of the almighty Stern even in his post-commish days.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
You also forgot to explain how the system is all rigged and under the whim of the almighty Stern even in his post-commish days.
Also true. Some teames have shity luck with the lottery even as perpetual losers. I believe the wolves have never moved up in the lottery

Fjordson

I think Houston will have another good season, so long as Lawson gets successfully worked into the rotation.

1. Warriors
2. OKC
3. Houston
4. Spurs

LMA looked mad awkward last night, Tony Parker continues to look old and the Spurs don't always give a shit about the regular season, so I can see them finishing fourth. Unless Pop guns harder for home court after last year. Then maybe move them up a spot or two.

overcast

LMA looked mad awkward last night, Tony Parker continues to look old and the Spurs don't always give a shit about the regular season, so I can see them finishing fourth. Unless Pop guns harder for home court after last year. Then maybe move them up a spot or two.
They'll work out the kinks (just like Lawson hopefully adjusts). Kahwi is a top tier superstar now, but they did give up a little depth to get LMA. I feel like Pop is a good enough coach to get a lot out of this old squad. If LMA can adjust that team is scary in the playoffs. Of course they always start a little meh.

This is why I recommended picking one of the young up and coming teams to follow rather than the one of the worst teams in the league. :)

All the teams you picked are solid picks either up and coming young teams on the rise or solid playoff contenders, Orlando really isn't that good just yet though. They have potential down the line.

I don't see why anyone would pick the Lakers as a team to follow this year if they have no prior allegiance. Either pick a team that's good now or a fun young team. Or pick one that's both in the Celtics.

Line_HTX

I think Houston will have another good season, so long as Lawson gets successfully worked into the rotation.

1. Warriors
2. OKC
3. Houston
4. Spurs

Who is that? Aldridge?

Cheebo

Banned
I don't see why anyone would pick the Lakers as a team to follow this year if they have no prior allegiance.
Exactly. I get not wanting to bandwagon a title contender but to pick a team that is just really bad and is likely years away from playoff contention isn't a fun way to get into this league.

Top Bottom