• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2015- 16 Regular Season IOTI - NBA GAF Is Pretty Dead Considering This Fact

Pachimari

I don't see why anyone would pick the Lakers as a team to follow this year if they have no prior allegiance. Either pick a team that's good now or a fun young team. Or pick one that's both in the Celtics.

Exactly. I get not wanting to bandwagon a title contender but to pick a team that is just really bad and is likely years away from playoff contention isn't a fun way to get into this league.

Because I somewhat feel a connection to the Lakers and it was the team I always liked as a kid. I'm the type of guy who stay with one team no matter what, so I won't leave my Lakers.

That said, I will watch all the teams play and learn about the game itself, which is the real exciting part to me. Just being able to learn about basketball. :)

Because I somewhat feel a connection to the Lakers and it was the team I always liked as a kid. I'm the type of guy who stay with one team no matter what, so I won't leave my Lakers.

That said, I will watch all the teams play and learn about the game itself, which is the real exciting part to me. Just being able to learn about basketball. :)

Fair enough, I assumed you didn't have a team before this year.

I thought I'd see a gif in here of Cuban and Steve on Kiss Cam..lol

QuarterlySandyCalf.gif

Gotta give it to Ballmer..he's enthusiastic at least

Pachimari

Just bought NBA 2K16 as well. My first basketball game in over a decade. I don't know what I'm jumping into, but I'm thinking I can't go wrong in watching basketball games, and playing them.

fertygo

I became familiar with NBA with the game I think, NBA Live 2003 with Melo at cover. although my full season watching started at 2010

That should help.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Fjordson

Christmas day uniforms

CSlBnVgWIAAQuGg.jpg:large

Some of them look alright (Warriors' obviously the best) though I kinda wish each team had something unique other than the colors. Just kinda slapped a fancy font on blank jerseys.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Everytime this article is posted on Reddit it is filled with people who have probably never played a sport in their lifes and still post such ridiculious claims like "This proves that Basketball doesn't take much skill", "Basketball doesn't take much skill because 18 year olds play in the NBA just because they are tall and in other sports you must first refine your skills in feeder leagues for many years before playing professionally" or "Stupid sport, should make the hoops shorter so normal sized people can play too".

My personal favorite was one guy saying that he doesn't understand why his two 7' friends didn't "just go to the NBA" and that he is sure that every 7 footer could play in the NBA if they wanted.

The worst part is that they get constantly upvoted to the top. I cringe everytime I read this stupid cirklejerk of theirs that the only thing you need to play in the NBA is height.

EDIT:
Not to mention that the stat is completely wrong. There is only one American player in the NBA who is 7 foot (and I mean barefoot and not in shoes how the NBA likes to measure) and that's Roy Hibbert. Assuming there are 70 seven footers in the US (from the article) from age 20-40 that would mean there is a 1.4% chance of playing the NBA and not 17%.

If you include guys that are 6'11.75 than it's around 7% or so.

"This proves that Basketball doesn't take much skill", "Basketball doesn't take much skill because 18 year olds play in the NBA just because they are tall and in other sports you must first refine your skills in feeder leagues for many years before playing professionally"

Tell that to the countless gigantic and/or athletic guys who try and make in the NBA yet don't even end up sticking around in the d-league.

Edit:

Not to mention that the stat is completely wrong. There is only one American player in the NBA who is 7 foot. And that's Roy Hibbert. Assuming there are 70 seven footers in the US (from the article) from age 20-40 that would mean there is a 1.4% chance of playing the NBA and not 17%.

That can't be right. A quick google/draftexpress search shows that Andre Drummond, Tyler Zeller, Myers Leonard, Spencer Hawes and Tyson Chandler are all 7' or taller.

Fjordson

I'm having a hard time even comprehending that argument. No skill? Or lowering the hoop? Huh? Yeah, that'd be great to let smaller people play. Imagine that 5-9 guy you know at work switching on to Shaq in the post. Great idea.

To me that's like saying a soccer field should be shorter so regular joes who aren't as fast as Messi won't get winded. Or maybe make the goals smaller so you don't have to be 6-4 to be a good goalie. Good genes are part of the equation for a world class athlete, that's just how it is.

edit: I just noticed something. This is pretty random, but it seems like whenever the Warriors unveil a new jersey, they use Harrison Barnes or his number. Weird.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Tell that to the countless gigantic and/or athletic guys who try and make in the NBA yet don't even end up sticking around in the d-league.

Edit:

That can't be right. A quick google/draftexpress search shows that Andre Drummond, Tyler Zeller, Myers Leonard, Spencer Hawes and Tyson Chandler are all 7' or taller.

That's all in shoes.

I looked at this list and then checked their barefoot height on Draftexpress. (e.g. http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tyson-Chandler-1974/stats/)
If I'm not mistaken, Hibbert should be the only one.

I mean if we're getting all scientific and shit, we should be doing it right. The 17% isn't even correct if he was using height in shoes, so no idea where the author got that number from.

That's all in shoes.

I looked at this list

and then checked their barefoot height on Draftexpress. (e.g. http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tyson-Chandler-1974/stats/)
If I'm not mistaken, Hibbert should be the only one.

I mean if we're getting all scientific and shit, we should be doing it right. The 17% isn't even correct if he was using height in shoes, so no idea where the author got that number from.

Well damn, I must've been looking at the wrong number.

Edit:

He's probably looking at their actual height without shoes rather than their listed height. We all know that listed height is always embellished in basketball.

phanphare

Banned

Fjordson

Damn, y'all see that Grantland is closing shop immediately?

Really going to miss that site. Hopefully Zach Lowe gets a new column somewhere.

Christmas day uniforms

CSlBnVgWIAAQuGg.jpg:large

Some of them look alright (Warriors' obviously the best) though I kinda wish each team had something unique other than the colors. Just kinda slapped a fancy font on blank jerseys.

Nice. Might need to pick one up.

Though I dunno how I feel about a lottery team taking up a Christmas slot, even if it is Kobe's going away present.

Line_HTX

James Harden will become a spokesman for Gillette (god willing) and Dwight Howard will have another baby with another woman. All is as it should be.

I'll admit, I laughed pretty hard at this.

YO, what the fuck is up with Wilbon sporting that afro and that mask? Fucking left eye closed makes him look derpy.

:Jnc

lmao Wilbon as Derrick Rose

JBEqprG.jpg

He looks what would happen if Steve Urkel became a crackhead. Jesus.

I'll admit, I laughed pretty hard at this.

Thank you Line and Liquid

What would that make him if he did have another baby with a random woman. Six for six? Bet wishes that was his free throw numbers :)

Side note: is :jnc a thing here now or is that left in NFL-GAF and CFB-GAF since I assume Jak gives zero shits about basketball.

jnc is fair game, Floyd.

And he follows basketball. Pitt Panthers are his college team, for example. Pros? If it's the Sixers, then I suspect he has given up on the sport.

Top Bottom