• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2015- 16 Regular Season IOTI - NBA GAF Is Pretty Dead Considering This Fact

Ty Lawson has been bought out according to Woj.

Edit:

"To clarify on Houston talks with Lawson: Discussions are getting closer to agreement, but still a final hurdle on buyout agreement." - @WojVerticalNBA

WOJ IS A HACK!

Jarate

Banned
this is all well and good but there are teams who haven't tanked and still rebuild just fine. The heat haven't tanked in ages and are consistently competitive, for example.

It's easy to point to teams that are worse off to say WERE NOT THAT BAD but what do you do when small market teams like indiana and the spurs remain competitive without the needs to poop their pants for a decade or so? how long can you sit there saying you got dealt a shit hand until you admit that the reason you keep getting dealt a shit hand is because the organization stinks?

The Heat live in Miami, one of the best places on earth to live (weather and women are ace) and also have no taxes on their players. Its easy to recruit players to Miami in Free Agency. Even with that, the team will not win a chip any time soon, and are going to slowly decline, especially as Wade and Bosh get replaced by Whiteside and Dragic

The Spurs tanked tp get Tim Duncan, and they have been good since getting them. Also not really comparable as they have had a superstar forever, and thats how you attract FA's

Pacers havent won a chip

so lets look at the top teams in the league

Warriors - were bad for a long time were able to draft Thompson, and Curry early on in the draft
Thunder - Were bad, but were able to draft Harden, Durant and and Westbrook early in the draft
Spurs - Tanked for Tim Duncan who has practically been the basis of their entire organization for over 15 years. Also able to attract talent
Cavs - Sucked and was able to draft Kyrie Irving which allowed them to go make a serious run to go after Lebron

pretty much, unless you are the Heat, Lakers, or the Celtics, its a huge shit show trying to get free agents to join your team. You have to have a superstar on your team. The best and most efficient way of doing that is in the draft.

No FA wants to go to Philly, weve seen that post 2001 finals trip, and hence we were mediocre as shit for a long ass time (our front offices were run by "win now" fuckheads like Doug Collins and Billy King for years.) If no one wants to come here, we better sure as hell draft a superstar, and the most efficient way to drafting a superstar is to get 1st round picks, especially early in the draft. Hinkie has been in charge for less then 3 years and has gotten js a ludicrous amount of assets. Okafor is better then anything wevre trotted put since when Iggy first showed up. Weve sucked for a while because of shit heads like Doug Collins and Shit Heads like Billy King, Im glad we're tanking. This is the way the NBA works, if you hate it so much, change the way the NBA plays so that teams like Boston this year would have a legitimate chance of winning a title.

Bread

Banned
pretty much, unless you are the Heat, Lakers, or the Celtics, its a huge shit show trying to get free agents to join your team. You have to have a superstar on your team. The best and most efficient way of doing that is in the draft.
one of these things is not like the others

spyder_ur

Cavs or OKC I think

I'm not sure - those teams both need shooting really. Plus I'm not too sure teams are going to be gung-ho on Lawson who has really shown nothing this year. He's not exactly that stable, veteran guy that teams covet as buyouts.

We'll see though.

I'd rather be the Sixers right now than a number of teams in the league.

Moving forward, sure. As a fan, I'm not sure I'd rather be supporting or paying for a team that, honestly, doesn't have interest in developing players, a culture or style, or playing winning basketball. There's a theory that all the young players will just coalesce and become a good team at some point; I'm not so sure.

Then again, if they draft Ben Simmons and he is the next LeBron James, that's really all that matters. I understand the strategy. But what the Sixers have done really goes beyond tanking; they are upending the fragile silent understanding between the NBA, a franchise, and its fans that there will be at least a good faith effort put towards running a successful franchise, and they've been doing it for at least 3 years with no end in sight. I think that's a problem for the league.

Jonm1010

Banned
The whole problem with the Sixers is that they haven't gotten their Duncan, Durant or Davis.

If they get Ben Simmons and he turns into a star, no one will be decrying the sixers method 5 years from now.

If you can't attract superstars through FA or lack the necessary trade pieces to acquire one willing to stay long term, you have to draft. Sixers just didn't try and sugar coat it.

El Topo

The whole problem with the Sixers is that they haven't gotten their Duncan, Durant or Davis.

If they get Ben Simmons and he turns into a star, no one will be decrying the sixers method 5 years from now.

If you can't attract superstars through FA or lack the necessary trade pieces to acquire one willing to stay long term, you have to draft. Sixers just didn't try and sugar coat it.

Pelicans have Davis and yet they're not exactly setting the world on fire.

El Topo

Because instead of tanking or even just letting the team grow naturally they wasted draft picks and cap room on middling players.

I'm just saying that simply getting a superstar is not enough. The management of the 76ers doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence.

I'm just saying that simply getting a superstar is not enough. The management of the 76ers doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence.

On the other hand they've shown their not willing to spend money on marginal talent. They also have the assets to surround their next superstar with a pretty great supporting cast through trades. I'm not saying the management isn't going to fuck it up but they're putting themselves in a pretty great position.

El Topo

On the other hand they've shown their not willing to spend money on marginal talent. They also have the assets to surround their next superstar with a pretty great supporting cast through trades. I'm not saying the management isn't going to fuck it up but they're putting themselves in a pretty great position.

Fair enough.

Jarate

Banned
so are you saying that the Sixers are bad at tanking, the Sixers are bad at assessing young talent, or some sort of combination of both?
So, you can read my posts above that state that every single 1st rounder they have taken has been good besides Embiid. Hell, Okafor is putting up a ludicrous season right now for a rookie

Their talent evaluation has been fine, they've taken the BPA in every draft. Hell, I'd still honestly take Embiid, if he gets on the court next year he's going to be scar

they just didn't have good players to start out with, now theres at least 2 good players on the court right now with 6 1st round rookies playing possibly next year. This along with massive cap room allows us to work to get a super star

All the Sixer's are doing is playing fringe NBA players who are young rather then filling their rosters with Lou Williams and Evan Turner, who get you to mediocrity and nothing else, a hell we were examples of for over 10 years.

I repeat, the Sixer's under Doug Collins traded away basically their entire team for Andrew Bynum. We had Jrue Holiday, Thadeus Young, Elton Brands corpse, Evan Turner and Spencer Hawes. We were also missing our 1st rounder for a year

We were the Nets, and it takes a while to get rid of shit contracts with shit players.

Next year we will have Noel, Okafor, Saric, our 1st rounder, 40-50% chance of getting the Lakers pick, the heat pick, and the thunder pick. And if Embiid sniffs the court, well have one of the most freakishly athletic big men to ever exist. We will also have a top tier practice facility which is currently being built, Jerry Colangelo, one of the most respected NBA front office members in the league, Brett Brown, a highly respected NBA coach who worked years under Pop, and not only that after the next year we'll have even more shit. We're through phase 1 of the "process" and yeah it sucks ass watching them lose every night, but its way easier to accept this then it was a strategy that sucked the franchise from one of the most respected to one that the city stopped caring for

holy shit, dude hit a half court shot and won a jeep in the clippers game hahaha
sometimes league pass is worth it

It is kind of cool that you get to see what's going on in games on league pass while there's a timeout or whatever where it would be a commercial if you were watching it on ESPN.

Tom Penny

Celtics "best " free agent in history was geratric Dominque Wilkins...

Boston probably has too much stigma to sign big free agents while the Sixers are one of the larger markets.

The Celtics problems are pretty much the same problems as most teams except for the few teams that are historically good at getting free agents. It doesn't have the lack of income tax as Florida and Texas, it doesn't have the glamour and bright lights of LA or New York and the weather blows. That along with the fact that pretty much every team has cap space this off season means I'm not holding my breath for a star free agent to come via free agency.

The Celtics problems are pretty much the same problems as most teams except for the few teams that are historically good at getting free agents. It doesn't have the lack of income tax as Florida and Texas, it doesn't have the glamour and bright lights of LA or New York and the weather blows. That along with the fact that pretty much every team has cap space this off season means I'm not holding my breath for a star free agent to come via free agency.

Agree somewhat, still think the C's have a chance at Love depending on how the Cavs rest of the season goes. They'd still need to find a third team though who would take picks/decent NBA players and the Cavs get a star. Though even then, there's plenty of talent available this summer in the H Barnes level guys.

Fjordson

Warriors had a blatant tank job a few years ago so that they'd keep their top 7 protected pick. Though it's kinda funny that the guy they got with that pick (H. Barnes) will probably be gone in some way before the guy they got at the end of that draft (Draymond).

Warriors had a blatant tank job a few years ago so that they'd keep their top 7 protected pick. Though it's kinda funny that the guy they got with that pick (H. Barnes) will probably be gone in some way before the guy they got at the end of that draft (Draymond).

What would you do this off-season Fjordson? I'd personally resign H Barnes and try get him under the max. Going after Durant and letting Barnes walk away when KD's probably staying is going to leave a right mess.

Fjordson

What would you do this off-season Fjordson? I'd personally resign H Barnes and try get him under the max. Going after Durant and letting Barnes walk away when KD's probably staying is going to leave a right mess.
I would probably do that also.

As just a fan with no insider info I could be way off base, but Durant still feels like a pipe dream. Seems like keeping the current core together would be best, at least for another season or two. And in all the scenarios I've seen media guys describe we'll have to let go of more than just Barnes to make room for KD. Multiple players out of the Iguodala, Livingston, Ezeli, Bogut group.

I just wish Barnes had accepted that damn offer from us last year lol. 64 mill over 4 years I think. Could be tough to hold onto him now if someone comes in with a big offer sheet.

Fjordson

If someone offers Barnes the max I'd let him walk. Dude has been a big contributor at times, but he's so up and down. No way he's worth the max when you already have 3 all-stars imo.

Bread

Banned
Yeah Boston is a shit city compared to LA/Miami.
giphy.gif

Heat shot 67% tonight.

Everybody who entered the game shot at least 50%.

Highwst shooting percent of the season.

Highest shooting percentage allowed in Bulls history.

Top Bottom