• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2015- 16 Regular Season IOTI - NBA GAF Is Pretty Dead Considering This Fact

cyborg009

Banned
So the Wizards are at .500 again for like...the first time in forever.

The east is crazy this year you can be in the 4-8 spot one week and out the next.

Just saw that last 3 by Westbrook. Lmfao. That deserves:

Durant-Westbrook-GIF.gif

I really wish he would stop doing that...that's not his game.

.......yes I'm sad by how pathetic my team has been......sucks after how good the bulls played without derrick rose for almost three years.

They played great because the real MVP on those teams was Thibs. Hoiberg is a fraud. Hopefully the Bulls miss the playoffs and clean house afterwards.

ViciousDS

Banned
They played great because the real MVP on those teams was Thibs. Hoiberg is a fraud. Hopefully the Bulls miss the playoffs and clean house afterwards.

Even if they clean house next year.....I think they would then be...paying for 3 coaches if they fired Hoiberg lol.

Thibs I think still has 1 year left to pay, Hoiberg just got signed and then they would have a new coach. Either way.....ownership is too cheap to make any moves. They will keep Hoiberg and barely do anything outside of signing a free agent here or there for MLA's

Durant is gonna leave
:D

It'll be amazing to see, Westbrook will bolt too , the thunder have no one, my god it's almost like the Celtics are the same as the thunder which is sad to see
They fucked up hard giving KD and Westbrook a decent team

after what happened in the 90s, watching the window for the bulls open and then close all because the Heat came up in the east at the same time is pretty satisfying. It's not 6 rings satisfying but i suppose few things are.

phanphare

Banned
I feel for the bulls. they never did beat that Lebron-led team in the playoffs but it was nice having them as a consistent stalwart in the east these past few years.

On the Lowe Post podcast last week, Amin Elhassan had the Bulls in the "death phase." Meaning, it's only getting worse from here, might as well hit fast forward on bottoming out (read: tank) and rebuild around Butler.

Bulls just choked, had home court during the heat big 3's first year together
Up 2-1 with game 4 at home
I had them winning both those series too
smh chokers , bulls x derrick rose wouldn't have taken the celtics to 7 games years ago had KG not been injured

bye bye bulls :D

26ha6V.gif

KD's turn to do this :D

after what happened in the 90s, watching the window for the bulls open and then close all because the Heat came up in the east at the same time is pretty satisfying. It's not 6 rings satisfying but i suppose few things are.

We are also much closer to being a contender again. If by some miracle, Bosh comes back this season, we could definitely be a dangerous team in the playoffs. Plus, I expect big things from Riley next summer.

Finally got around to listening to Bill Simmons' podcast episode with Kirk Goldsberry. Their discussion on how the 3 point line has essentially marginalized the traditional PF's skillset was really interesting. I really like the idea of getting rid of the corner 3 in general (just draw the arc and have it end right when it becomes a straight line). I think doing that would allow the defense to defend the 3 better and force offenses to attack the midrange/paint more with post play.

Finally got around to listening to Bill Simmons' podcast episode with Kirk Goldsberry. Their discussion on how the 3 point line has essentially marginalized the traditional PF's skillset was really interesting. I really like the idea of getting rid of the corner 3 in general (just draw the arc and have it end right when it becomes a straight line). I think doing that would allow the defense to defend the 3 better and force offenses to attack the midrange/paint more with post play.

They also talked about moving it out to 25 feet, saying it wouldn't impact your prolific shooters such as Curry or Redick, but for players like Love, it would drop the percentages enough to make it an inefficient shot.

As it stands now, if you can hit just 33% on 3, that's as good as 50% from 2 (and we know a lot of players can't even get the 50%). Goldsberry said that if you moved it out just to 25 feet, a lot of players drop down into the low 20s at that range. (Curry is immune, he's good from the opposite baseline.)

They also talked about moving it out to 25 feet, saying it wouldn't impact your prolific shooters such as Curry or Redick, but for players like Love, it would drop the percentages enough to make it an inefficient shot.

As it stands now, if you can hit just 33% on 3, that's as good as 50% from 2 (and we know a lot of players can't even get the 50%). Goldsberry said that if you moved it out just to 25 feet, a lot of players drop down into the low 20s at that range. (Curry is immune, he's good from the opposite baseline.)

Wouldn't that also affect the corner 3 though (you'd have to get rid of it or it would just be an even more valuable shot)? I don't think the NBA will ever change the dimension of the courts for $$$ reasons.

Wouldn't that also affect the corner 3 though (you'd have to get rid of it or it would just be an even more valuable shot)? I don't think the NBA will ever change the dimension of the courts for $$$ reasons.

Tie the longer shot into the corner 3 going away, just like the idea expressed in your post. Let the arc continue until it runs out of room for a reasonable shot (basically, the player's feet can't fit between the line and the sideline), then cut it off. At 25 feet, the arc will run into the sideline.

Tie the longer shot into the corner 3 going away, just like the idea expressed in your post. Let the arc continue until it runs out of room for a reasonable shot (basically, the player's feet can't fit between the line and the sideline), then cut it off. At 25 feet, the arc will run into the sideline.

I like this idea as well. I haven't been paying attention to college ball but is it true what Bill said about it having devolved into offenses burning clock and fishing for 3 pointers?

https://twitter.com/Rusty_SFChron/status/705103713526910976

Stephen Curry and Andre Iguodala are officially listed as questionable, but Steve Kerr says Curry is further along.

Looks like Steph and Iggy might be out again tonight.

I like this idea as well. I haven't been paying attention to college ball but is it true what Bill said about it having devolved into offenses burning clock and fishing for 3 pointers?

I couldn't tell you about the broad trend, I only watch Duke and, by extension, the opposing teams that Duke is playing.

Duke has been a 3-centric offense for years, very perimeter oriented. There's not an over-abundance of corner 3 action, since the shorter line in general doesn't need to cut even shorter at the corner, but otherwise, Duke generally has at least 3 and usually 4 players that can shoot the 3 on the floor at any time and parks them behind the arc, opening up the floor for drives. However, Duke is often playing teams that can't hit the broad side of a barn (Carolina was something like 1-13 from the 3 against Duke a couple of weeks ago, for example).

I believe they said on the podcast that 28% of shots taken in the NBA this year are from the 3? I just looked up the stats for Duke, and they take 39.2% of shots from behind the line.

Going further, I pulled up some statistics on shooting, and it looks like 3s are really rampant among smaller programs.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...t/3-points/sort/threePointFieldGoalsAttempted

Just on attempts, a bunch of lower tier schools are throwing up 3s like they're going out of style. Here's a snippet that includes Duke, and then the top 10 teams based on number of 3 point attempts, and how those attempts compose their overall shot selection.

Code:
School     	3PA	2PA	Total	3P % of Total
Duke     	694	1075	1769	39.23%

The Citadel	1104	1089	2193	50.34%
North Florida	946	1012	1958	48.31%
Akron     	904	894	1798	50.28%
Lipscomb	897	1056	1953	45.93%
Elon     	871	1018	1889	46.11%
Hartford	866	982	1848	46.86%
Belmont     	864	861	1725	50.09%
Marshall	858	1042	1900	45.16%
Wyoming     	829	746	1575	52.63%
Cent Michigan	821	957	1778	46.18%

I suppose it makes sense, though. Most smaller programs are indeed smaller. Just looking at a normal distribution, it's fairly easy to get a 6'1 guard, less easy to get a 7' big. Talented bigs will gravitate to power programs, leaving the smaller programs to make things work with less height, and therefore more reliance on the outside shot.

Sounds like the Nets ticket sales are getting desperate, they invited me to a free game and event in which they'll try to get me to re-buy a season package plan, this time without a multi-year commitment. Apparently everything's cheaper too.

I couldn't tell you about the broad trend, I only watch Duke and, by extension, the opposing teams that Duke is playing.

Duke has been a 3-centric offense for years, very perimeter oriented. There's not an over-abundance of corner 3 action, since the shorter line in general doesn't need to cut even shorter at the corner, but otherwise, Duke generally has at least 3 and usually 4 players that can shoot the 3 on the floor at any time and parks them behind the arc, opening up the floor for drives. However, Duke is often playing teams that can't hit the broad side of a barn (Carolina was something like 1-13 from the 3 against Duke a couple of weeks ago, for example).

I believe they said on the podcast that 28% of shots taken in the NBA this year are from the 3? I just looked up the stats for Duke, and they take 39.2% of shots from behind the line.

Going further, I pulled up some statistics on shooting, and it looks like 3s are really rampant among smaller programs.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...t/3-points/sort/threePointFieldGoalsAttempted

Just on attempts, a bunch of lower tier schools are throwing up 3s like they're going out of style. Here's a snippet that includes Duke, and then the top 10 teams based on number of 3 point attempts, and how those attempts compose their overall shot selection.

Code:
School     	3PA	2PA	Total	3P % of Total
Duke     	694	1075	1769	39.23%

The Citadel	1104	1089	2193	50.34%
North Florida	946	1012	1958	48.31%
Akron     	904	894	1798	50.28%
Lipscomb	897	1056	1953	45.93%
Elon     	871	1018	1889	46.11%
Hartford	866	982	1848	46.86%
Belmont     	864	861	1725	50.09%
Marshall	858	1042	1900	45.16%
Wyoming     	829	746	1575	52.63%
Cent Michigan	821	957	1778	46.18%

I suppose it makes sense, though. Most smaller programs are indeed smaller. Just looking at a normal distribution, it's fairly easy to get a 6'1 guard, less easy to get a 7' big. Talented bigs will gravitate to power programs, leaving the smaller programs to make things work with less height, and therefore more reliance on the outside shot.

Goddamn @ Wyoming. At first I kinda shook my head when I heard Pop complain about how the 3 point line was a gimmick but I'm slowly starting to understand why he thinks that. It's becoming a lotto line for a lot of teams. Just spray and pray.

"The Indiana Pacers, guard Ty Lawson in serious talks. @ShamsCharania story on @TheVertical. https://t.co/UYmHPb0Kfs" - @TheVertical

This could be a good move for the Pacers.

To be fair I imagine the Silicon Valley guys are willing to blow a ton of money on good seats. Even at their peak the Brooklyn Nets fans wouldn't pay shit for good seats, I like the stadium a lot and all the amenities but I'd never buy back in.

What's it like watching a game in Barclay's? Every time I've seen the Mavs play there on tv it always looks super dark like a strip club lol.

Do they do "Make some nooise" bs?

What's it like watching a game in Barclay's? Every time I've seen the Mavs play there on tv it always looks super dark like a strip club lol.

Do they do "Make some nooise" bs?

It is really dark but the seats are pretty good and the food is some of the best I've had at a stadium especially if you get one of the nicer seats that has access to unlimited food. It's honestly one of my favorite stadiums to watch a basketball game, the only problem is that the Nets suck and the fans, for the most part, suck as well.

They do the "Make some noise" and "Where Brooklyn at?" stuff but every team does that.

To be fair I imagine the Silicon Valley guys are willing to blow a ton of money on good seats. Even at their peak the Brooklyn Nets fans wouldn't pay shit for good seats, I like the stadium a lot and all the amenities but I'd never buy back in.

$1.4 million for a seat not even close to courtside? I mean I can imagine courtside seats for that price..

Fjordson

Walt Frazier was on Mike and Mike today talking about how he would stop Curry in his era with physical defense.

"He'd score 25 twos, but not 13 threes!"

These retired players really need to stop speaking on this. They sound incredibly dumb (and are apparently bad at math).

Walt Frazier was on Mike and Mike today talking about how he would stop Curry in his era with physical defense.

These retired players really need to stop speaking on this. They sound incredibly dumb (and are apparently bad at math).

I believe Curry would make that deal.

legend166

I think getting rid of the corner 3 would make sense. It really is strange that you can take a 22 foot shot for 3 on one part of the court and a 22 foot shot for 2 on another part of the court.

I'm not sure what Walt was implying. Is that a compliment to Curry?

Fjordson

WTF? even if he dont play, going to the game is still dope ....
Well I have season tickets and could easily give them to some eager family members (which I do almost half the time these days tbh).

Usually it'd be a no brainer, but during the week when things are hectic at work I don't always make the games.

I'm not sure what Walt was implying. Is that a compliment to Curry?
These old guys are tripping over themselves to vomit into a mic about how great their era was.

I guess Walt's such a good defender that Curry would score 50 on him instead of...39...awesome defense...

Top Bottom