• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2015- 16 Regular Season IOTI - NBA GAF Is Pretty Dead Considering This Fact

Messi

This is going to be the best playoff in years. All the east teams are actually good winning teams. West have 3 incredible teams at the top. Nothing to not be excited about this year.

Not much fun when the Rockets aren't in there :/. I'll still watch though.

Kevtones

Portland moves ahead of Memphis for 5th in the West.

If Portland beats Minnesota and Denver at home then Memphis needs to beat Golden State twice to get the 5th spot back.

Clippers/Portland would be pretty competitive and there's some beef there.

shanafan

Congrats on the Pistons for making the playoffs for the first time since 2009.

Team has really turned around with SVG at the helm!

If Portland beats Minnesota and Denver at home then Memphis needs to beat Golden State twice to get the 5th spot back.

If Portland wins their last two, they're the five seed, regardless of what Memphis does. If Memphis and Portland finish with the same record, Portland wins the tiebreaker on Conference record. Portland would need to lose at least one of their remaining games to lose the five seed (and Memphis would need to win out). It's looking pretty likely that Portland is the five seed. Considering I had them high in the lottery when the season started, I'm calling that a win for the Blazers and a lose for my prognostication skills.

Fox318

Man listening to Hinkie on the Lowe podcast.

I really don't think he is capable of running an NBA team especially one in a big market.

He kept on talking about if we had x player and if we drafted x but never had an awnser for why he didn't.

Not to mention his secrecy with avoiding fans and media and with his inabilty to communicate agents. We are in a world where NBA teams have to lure guys in with more than just cap space and he seemed to bank on the idea that just having max would bring somebody like Durant in.

Not when a star player has to deal with the reputation of a team.

There is no reason why he couldn't have traded and signed an Isaiah Thomas for example and work to get these young players going a bit more with some vet guidance.

At some point you need to sacrifice long term assets to help the short term. I mean Junkie talks about how he wants to get that championship team but I don't see how he would have gotten there with his communication skills and his seeming inability to sacrifice any long term assets.

That being said that type of cold blooded focus on asset management would probably help a team like the Knicks but I don't see how you look ticket holders in the face and say we are hoping to lose because we traded a protected pick.

Jarate

Banned
Man listening to Hinkie on the Lowe podcast.

I really don't think he is capable of running an NBA team especially one in a big market.

He kept on talking about if we had x player and if we drafted x but never had an awnser for why he didn't.

Not to mention his secrecy with avoiding fans and media and with his inabilty to communicate agents. We are in a world where NBA teams have to lure guys in with more than just cap space and he seemed to bank on the idea that just having max would bring somebody like Durant in.

Not when a star player has to deal with the reputation of a team.

There is no reason why he couldn't have traded and signed an Isaiah Thomas for example and work to get these young players going a bit more with some vet guidance.

At some point you need to sacrifice long term assets to help the short term. I mean Junkie talks about how he wants to get that championship team but I don't see how he would have gotten there with his communication skills and his seeming inability to sacrifice any long term assets.

That being said that type of cold blooded focus on asset management would probably help a team like the Knicks but I don't see how you look ticket holders in the face and say we are hoping to lose because we traded a protected pick.

Practically every single Sixers fan ive ever met was fine with "The Process" and preferred it over the mediocre treadmill we had been for a decade.

National guys were the ones who had a problem with it, also people like Howard Eskin, who shouldnt really count as anything more then a piece of human garbage (he's Philly's Skip Bayless)

Practically every single Sixers fan ive ever met was fine with "The Process" and preferred it over the mediocre treadmill we had been for a decade.

National guys were the ones who had a problem with it, also people like Howard Eskin, who shouldnt really count as anything more then a piece of human garbage (he's Philly's Skip Bayless)

Still doesn't address Hinkie's deficiency's like pissing off teams in not returning their calls, pissing off agents who he wouldn't even communicate with and just cut their client and his basically non-communication with the media. What good free agents would sign there with the way he treated other players? Plus there's the rumour the big agents who represent many players basically put the Sixers on a blacklist until their front office management was changed.

Jarate

Banned
Still doesn't address Hinkie's deficiency's like pissing off teams in not returning their calls, pissing off agents who he wouldn't even communicate with and just cut their client and his basically non-communication with the media. What good free agents would sign there with the way he treated other players? Plus there's the rumour the big agents who represent many players basically put the Sixers on a blacklist until their front office management was changed.

this wouldve changed when they stopped being bad. Why would a player go there now?

And it didnt stop Hinkie with trading with a bunch of teams too

Wanna know why agents love Bryan Colangelo, it's because he gave players like Rudy Gay and Andrea Bargnani ludicrous contracts.

Yeah he pissed off the "media" but who gives a shit? Honestly.

He wasn't perfect by all means, I dont even really care he was fired if we got Ferry instead. But now we're stuck with Bryan Colangelo. And the national media that apparently hated hinkie thinks this is the best thing on earth.

this wouldve changed when they stopped being bad. Why would a player go there now?

And it didnt stop Hinkie with trading with a bunch of teams too

Wanna know why agents love Bryan Colangelo, it's because he gave players like Rudy Gay and Andrea Bargnani ludicrous contracts.

Yeah he pissed off the "media" but who gives a shit? Honestly.

He wasn't perfect by all means, I dont even really care he was fired if we got Ferry instead. But now we're stuck with Bryan Colangelo. And the national media that apparently hated hinkie thinks this is the best thing on earth.

There's mannerisms and a bit of professional class you are obligated to follow as a GM, and in his years he's obviously pissed off most other front offices and agents that in say 3 years down the line why would you play ball with him then when he can't even do the basics now.
Re the media, I'm not too fussed about that either, but when the guy has literally never done PR stuff which is part of his job why wouldn't the media not be pissed?
Also the GM's team involves some actual team interaction. On the Truehoop podcast the other day, one of the contributors mentioned how he'd regularly blankly pass by current players and former players in the corridor without saying a word.

Also another criticism of the process which he never explained is how after all these years of losing were the young players meant to develop and build a winning culture when they were in the process? You can't just switch from the process to contending in a short period, plus I wouldn't have been surprised that as soon as the rookie guys were finished with their rookie deals they would have bolted immediately. I certainly would if I was in their position when they'd basically ruined the first few years in my NBA career where it's the time you develop and earn your first substantial contract.

Jarate

Banned
Rookie contracts last for 4 years

Then they become RFA for another few years

Also, every player has only talked about how much they enjoyed Hinkie, you can literally see the interviews of them being dissapointed

Winning culture is also bullshit. When the Warriors were tanking hard, it didn't fuck them up. There's no such thing as a winning culture, you either have good players or shit players. If you have good players you'll win games.

He pissed off so many GMs that he was able to trade with like 7 or 8 teams during his time. And players will want to play when they do well. I don't give a fuck if agents blacklist them now, I care about when they have the pieces to be good.

Jarate

Banned
Also winning culture helped the Sixer's out so much when Doug Collins pushed for the 8th seed. Really helped his players out so much

Rookie contracts last for 4 years

Then they become RFA for another few years

Also, every player has only talked about how much they enjoyed Hinkie, you can literally see the interviews of them being dissapointed

Winning culture is also bullshit. When the Warriors were tanking hard, it didn't fuck them up. There's no such thing as a winning culture, you either have good players or shit players. If you have good players you'll win games.

He pissed off so many GMs that he was able to trade with like 7 or 8 teams during his time. And players will want to play when they do well. I don't give a fuck if agents blacklist them now, I care about when they have the pieces to be good.

Re players, you're open to your perspective, I'm just relaying what I've been told.

There's been numerous rumblings/articles on how most of the league front offices hated dealing with Hinkie. The Sixers were used as dumping grounds for contracts by contenders, not exactly the rapore you need when you're actively searching for trades in a few years

Jarate

Banned
Who gives a shit whether other teams GMs like him. Like, who gives a rats ass. No team will care if they offer a trade for another player.

Oh no he's offering Okafor for X, but I don't like him, so I'll sabotage my team possibly getting better

Oh but this guy is offering Y for X, I'll take his deal because he bought me a drink once!

Who gives a shit whether other teams GMs like him. Like, who gives a rats ass. No team will care if they offer a trade for another player.

Oh no he's offering Okafor for X, but I don't like him, so I'll sabotage my team possibly getting better

Oh but this guy is offering Y for X, I'll take his deal because he bought me a drink once!

Not how things work in the NBA but okay. If anything, this is the perfect time to cut-ties with Hinkie. They'll get the 1 or 2 pick, have good odds of getting the Lakers pick and can get the Sacramento pick. Then next season you'll have Embiid back with Saric. No point in the process in continuing thereafter so having the Colangelo's who build that awesome Suns team in the 00's is where you'd ideally want to be as a franchise.

Jarate

Banned
Not how things work in the NBA but okay. If anything, this is the perfect time to cut-ties with Hinkie. They'll get the 1 or 2 pick, have good odds of getting the Lakers pick and can get the Sacramento pick. Then next season you'll have Embiid back with Saric. No point in the process in continuing thereafter so having the Colangelo's who build that awesome Suns team in the 00's is where you'd ideally want to be as a franchise.

I dont know what crazy world you live in, where people will refuse to help their team because that one guy was mean to me and I don't like him!

I dont know what crazy world you live in, where people will refuse to help their team because that one guy was mean to me and I don't like him!

I was thinking more of agents than team personnel but I'd be shocked if there wasn't grudges from GM's about Hinkie.

Jarate

Banned
I was thinking more of agents than team personnel but I'd be shocked if there wasn't grudges from GM's about Hinkie.

Agents are of course gonna be upset that he refuses to sign mediocre player to large contracts like every other stupid NBA GM does. It doesn't matter that much. And please, look at Bryan Colangelo's resume when he was in Toronto and tell me I should be happy with this shit head.

Oh and btw, the Colangelo's have never won a single championship. I should be happy about what? That a 7 year process that our owners signed off on get shit on by the NBA and our cowardly owners.

Agents wont give a shit 3 years from now if we offer their players good contracts when we're good. They wont turn down money for their players. Of course they'll blacklist now, what agent would want their player to play for that team right now?

Jarate

Banned
Also, did anyone call the NBA Playoffs OT, cause Ill do it

I was thinking

NBA Playoffs |OT| 3̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶s̶ 16 teams vie for the ultimate prize

Anyone got a better suggestion?

Also, did anyone call the NBA Playoffs OT, cause Ill do it

I was thinking

NBA Playoffs |OT| 3̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶s̶ 16 teams vie for the ultimate prize

Anyone got a better suggestion?

NBA Playoffs |OT| A Cav looks on while a Warrior Spurs its Thunder.

TSM

Celts and Hawks tied for third in the east about to tip off. Should be a hell of a game. Both teams running hot right now and want that three seed.

How long did it take you to find that? Tell me you didn't bookmark that lol.

Btw before the season started the prospects for the Rockets being even better were there. We just didn't expect harden to spend all summer getting wasted and out of shape.
Actually it didnt take me long. I remembered we had that convo and some of the wording and a quick google search found the post pretty quickly haha

Fjordson

Curry looks fucking awful.

I mean are they just gonna get bounced in the first round? I don't understand how you can consistently play so badly against poor teams.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Curry's just a little off... so many in the hole and bouncing out.

1 for 10.

Grizzlies playing tough.

Top Bottom