• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Holy shit. Draymond just rolled his ankle badly and got Ian Clark in the head with his knee. Fuck...

Wow, two down? That sucks.

This game has been a trainwreck for both teams, really. The turnovers were pretty bad on the Warriors side too in the second quarter. Not to mention both teams only scored 20 points.

Thank god that's over. Yeesh.

But wow, three starters make such a huge difference. I know people are shitting on JC and the like for sputtering the offense, but really, do you know hard it is to learn an entire system? Be forced to play positions you have no idea how to play and yeah, you're going to play poorly.

Man, can't wait until Swaggy and Randle are back.

Ugh. Fuck Jim Buss for firing half the training staff a few years back...that's why we are seeing all these weird injuries.

And no one can replace Gary Vitti.

Jarate

Banned

He's basically regressed in every way besides his defense, which went from historically bad, the just being really bad. He's rebounding worse then our PG's right now

Im one of Jahlil Okafor's biggest defenders (There's a huge debate among Sixers fans with Nokafors and Prokafors that's been going on for a while) but the past couple of games he has been playing like absolute ass. Which is surprising because he had a stretch of 3-4 games where he was active defensively, and set really good screens, and moved the ball really well.

He's coming off a knee injury

It was supposed to be a slight meniscus injury which led to surgery which most peopler recover from within 3 weeks. He had that surgery last year. Something is either up with his knee (Possibility, I do see him grabbing his legs a lot) or he regresssed badly and is poorly out of shape which is even worse tbh.

The main issue with Oak is he's like Greg Monroe, iso ball doesnt work well due to basketball being played actually well, and he doesnt provide defense off of PNR's which are basically the bread and butter of any NBA offense. Honestly, it's a shame he was developed so poorly, you see this witrh a few guys like Brandon Jennins, Dion Waiters, Oakafor, who were developed into iso scorers and nothing else, which was basically the offense to run until the Spurs won their championships. Also, teams have figured out with the modern rulesets that they don't need scoring from their Centers at all besides alley oops, and so they can just put in athletic freaks who can't hit FT's which give players like Oak problems. Olden days you had to hit FT's or else you wouldnt play, but now you can't not have a defensive gifted center.

Oak needs to develop a midrange game so he can play PF to stay in the NBA, which he showed flashes of last year, but his shot form has taken a huge step back this year, and he's shooting far worse.

https://twitter.com/Nick_Sciria/status/801859759267807232

There's some good breakdowns of Oak right there.

The good news is he's only 20, and players like these generally take a lot more time to develop. The bad news is is that we didnt draft Kristaps Porzingis, which would've easily allowed a lineup of Embiid + KP this year which would have been asinine defensively. Also, a lot of people are pissed because we also have Nerlens Noel on our roster, who by every statistical category is a much better player then Okafor is right now. A lot of people are really loyal to Noel, despite him being one of the worst offensive players in the league.

This of course has just been the last few games, the ones before them, when they went on their winning streak, Oak was active on screens, he was active on defense despite his limitations, and passed really well within the system. The past few games he's basically not doing any of that and the team suffered tremendously because of it.

Like i said before, i really like Okafor a lot, but there are legitimate questions regarding him. If we do get Nerlens Noel, I want to see Okafor move to the D-League, hopefully to humble him and get him too play better.

Also, the good news is that Brett Brown is a really good developement coach, and was able to salvage Nik Stauskas' career.Okafor isn't as bad as Nik was at his worse, but the difference between Oak and Embiid is astounding, and when you got Nerlens about to come back from injury, along with a super underrated guy like Richaun Holmes, these past 2 games are unacceptable.

Slizeezyc

He's coming off a knee injury

Cool, guess that's why he can't set a screen and has the worst rebound rate among centers in the NBA. He has gone backwards in every conceivable way since last year from a statistical standpoint (sans a minor uptick in block rate). And he already was in a spot where he couldn't sustain regression because his somewhat efficient iso offense was the only thing stabilizing him -- though he was a net negative either way.

If he even gets close to Kanter at this point in terms of being a solid all-offense/rebounding bench contributor that would be a good turnout, but first he needs to rebound anything like Kanter, which he's never shown in college or the NBA.

(This all ignores the horrendous defense, both at the rim and in pick and roll -- the number one job for any center in today's NBA.)

That draft will haunt the Sixers, but if Embiid stays healthy and Simmons is good and healthy I guess it will be relatively moot. Porzingis would look just a pinch better than Okafor right now, especially with Embiid around him (I won't kill them for not reaching for someone other than the projected Porz, but a trade back could have been a thing). But the Okafor selection may end up being the thing that cost Hinkie his job, plus cost Noel wanting to stay with the team, a devastating double whammy.

Fjordson

Goddamn Towns just destroying everything the Dubs throw at him.

Also wtf @ Kerr bringing Varejao in as the first bench big. Next to David West no less.

TTG

Sorry I'm late, was watching Batman vs Superman(meh).

EDIT: I wonder who currently has more lateral quickness, Curry or Rubio?

Top Bottom