• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

TTG

Alright I'm calling it, Durant is the Warriors' best player. Durant's defensive and rebounding abilities, Curry's struggles off the ball being what they are, there is a clear and substantial gap. Next week is gonna be fun too. Let's see if the Hawks are disciplined enough to limit open 3s and how GSW's pick and roll defense holds up against Harden.

scoobs

Remember two weeks ago when everyone was trying to come up with trades to get Thompson out of town? Good times. The Warriors are fucking 15-2.

Alright I'm calling it, Durant is the Warriors' best player. Durant's defensive and rebounding abilities, Curry's struggles off the ball being what they are, there is a clear and substantial gap. Next week is gonna be fun too. Let's see if the Hawks are disciplined enough to limit open 3s and how GSW's pick and roll defense holds up against Harden.
Curry seems to be the more explosive of the two, but Durant's consistency and him developing a rebounding ability makes him really key

If one of them gets MVP, it will be Durant

Hawks are going to be coming off of a back to back with the Lakers

I don't know how to he Rockets will do. I'd love Harden to have a great night and Capela to continue to show he's a legitimate inside precense, but it will probably come down to if Gordon and Dekker and our 2nd unit can show up. Gordon has been on a bad slump right now, but if he shows up he can do a lot of damage as our 6th man

Honestly, the warriors having a relatively easy early schedule has been somewhat disappointing. For the most part, they've faced non to low playoff teams and teams on backs to backs. I want to know if this team, even after they start to gel, can be exposed

Durant has been the best player, but Curry is still easily the most important player in the team. His +/- is substantially better than Durant's and the team plays a lot better when he's on the floor than KD. It helps helps that KD actually plays with a superstar that's not a moron whenever the end of the 4th appears. If things go like this and a Warrior player gets it, it will be Durant. He's just insanely consistent, he literally has not had 1 average game so far into the season.

If this team is fit come playoff time, I don't see how a team can actually stop them. KD or Steph are always going to be on form once per game, and the other might be good for only a quarter which is good enough to shit on any team. Add 1 of the best shooters in the league and the best glue man in the league to push them. I don't see any team stopping them, even with the rim protection issues. If they're healthy.

random25

It's not really a debate. KD will always be the best player. But Curry remains the #1 player on GSW simply by virtue of how GSW runs their plays.

That's really not rocket science lol. KD will be number one on any team he plays.

Except on the team that LeBron plays with. Though KD will always be the best scorer on any team he plays with.

Fjordson

I'd agree that Durant has been the best player for the Dubs for his consistency and the way he's been playing defense, but Curry is doing just fine in his own right. 26.7 per game on over 66% true shooting is really, really good (plus 4 boards and 6 assists per game). Also on pace for his second straight 50-40-90 season.

The knee injury really disrupted Curry's off-season regimen so I think he's still getting into the swing of things.

One of the only knocks on Curry for me is his tendency to kinda just go on cruise control and takes a while to shake it off.

His totally silly passes at times can be maddening too

Servbot24

Banned
I'd agree that Durant has been the best player for the Dubs for his consistency and the way he's been playing defense, but Curry is doing just fine in his own right. 26.7 per game on over 66% true shooting is really, really good (plus 4 boards and 6 assists per game). Also on pace for his second straight 50-40-90 season.

The knee injury really disrupted Curry's off-season regimen so I think he's still getting into the swing of things.

These stats are kinda surprising to me, watching him play he seems to be much more inconsistent than last year.

I have seen Javale mcgee play like 2-3 times so far into this season.. and he got yammed on on all those times.

I don't know either. No way Philly be down by 40 in just the first 18mins of basketball lol.

He's put in some mean blocks too. We've said it for years but if he puts in some good minutes off type bench he'll be a solid rotation guy. Pity his basketball IQ is near 0 as he has all the athleticism to be a starter on a championship team if he had.

Javale might turn out to be the x factor vs the Cavs in a 10-20mpg defined super sub role. Warriors have started a lot of their games poorly this year, and I think a large part of that is due to Zaza.

Javale might turn out to be the x factor vs the Cavs in a 10-20mpg defined super sub role. Warriors have started a lot of their games poorly this year, and I think a large part of that is due to Zaza.

He could be like a washed up version of JR Smith XD

No, seriously, it would be funny if javale got a moment to shine in the playoffs. I'm thinking of that one rockets-clippers comeback where our role players did most of the work

I have seen Javale mcgee play like 2-3 times so far into this season.. and he got yammed on on all those times.

He could just get out of the way like almost everyone else on the team would. You can't block 'em all. and that Wiggins dunk from last night was just nasty. Nothing most people could have done about that as soon as he took off for it.

That block McGee had on Wigging a few minutes prior was just as nasty though.

He's put in some mean blocks too. We've said it for years but if he puts in some good minutes off type bench he'll be a solid rotation guy. Pity his basketball IQ is near 0 as he has all the athleticism to be a starter on a championship team if he had.

I'm not gonna pretend to know as much about basketball as most do in this thread, but I like Javale coming off the bench. Him coming off the bench allows the starts to set the usual tone of protect the outside, then they can sub in McGee and remind them that they need to watch the rim too. He definitely should have been in when they put in West, but West should have been in when they put in Varejao. That man should never see playtime. Varejao just sucks the life out of the game for me.

ZaZa is some soft-serve. I like that he's not afraid to go for the points, but the man is the most non-aggressive big man they got. If he could show a little aggression toward the rim, it might help his game out.

TTG

Cavs play Hickson and Frye at the 5 now right? He's not about boxing out or chasing people off 3s. Javale is a lot like the former Cav legend Mozgov in that all you want to do is laugh at him, but it's useful to have the longest dude on the court who is also a good athlete every once in a while.

There's no predicting it. He could learn to be a good help defender and become invaluable to a dynasty for the next however many years. Or he could run into Curry's knee tomorrow. Or he could simply fade from the league like Greg Oden with Miami a couple of years ago.

Zaza is holding a sinecure post as far as I'm concerned.

OldMan

Banned
Cavs big three all in double digits and still down to philly @ half

Fry is also there leading scorer outside of the big 3 and he's out indefinitely

He could just get out of the way like almost everyone else on the team would. You can't block 'em all. and that Wiggins dunk from last night was just nasty. Nothing most people could have done about that as soon as he took off for it.

That block McGee had on Wigging a few minutes prior was just as nasty though.

I'm not gonna pretend to know as much about basketball as most do in this thread, but I like Javale coming off the bench. Him coming off the bench allows the starts to set the usual tone of protect the outside, then they can sub in McGee and remind them that they need to watch the rim too. He definitely should have been in when they put in West, but West should have been in when they put in Varejao. That man should never see playtime. Varejao just sucks the life out of the game for me.

ZaZa is some soft-serve. I like that he's not afraid to go for the points, but the man is the most non-aggressive big man they got. If he could show a little aggression toward the rim, it might help his game out.
I think that's due to instructions. I feel like Kerr wants to use him for just a few aspects so he doesn't get confused. He understands his role and works on improving it. Rebounds, boxing, blocking, slam dunks, and set screens. That's it. He's pretty much the complete opposite of Zaza. One of the best natural plays right now is Curry to Green with an instant lob for a dunk by McGee. They get a bit more team work on it and that's going to be a huge issue every single time he's on the court.

Saying that, how the fuck is a gunner like JR 0/10 right now?

lttp but
Kevin Martin retired, and I have never seen some much lowkey shots.

ESPN Headline
Martin retires from NBA; part of 12' Harden deal.

Then Yahoo
Kevin Martin, one of the best players of his generations to never make an all-star team has retired.

lttp but
Kevin Martin retired, and I have never seen some much lowkey shots.

ESPN Headline
Martin retires from NBA; part of 12' Harden deal.

Then Yahoo
Kevin Martin, one of the best players of his generations to never make an all-star team has retired.

Wasn't well liked as a person.

Besides David Thorpe, I really don't remember anyone being fond of him.

pislit

Sacramento vs Brooklyn. Such excitement, highest level of rivalry, absolute competitiveness.

RIP people who watched this game.

I think that's due to instructions. I feel like Kerr wants to use him for just a few aspects so he doesn't get confused. He understands his role and works on improving it. Rebounds, boxing, blocking, slam dunks, and set screens. That's it. He's pretty much the complete opposite of Zaza. One of the best natural plays right now is Curry to Green with an instant lob for a dunk by McGee. They get a bit more team work on it and that's going to be a huge issue every single time he's on the court.

Saying that, how the fuck is a gunner like JR 0/10 right now?

That is the beauty of JR Smith

Do you not remember?

Listen, y'all. This dude has one mode. He starts the game in heat check. Hand in his face? Pull up three. Kyrie has scored 10 points in a row? Fall-away three. LeBron unstoppable going to the basket? Smith might mess around and try a hook shot. From 3.

Man could go 0/10 one day and 10/10 another and I wouldn't blink twice

random25

I think PG just had an all players meeting yesterday or something to deal with their shit situation, so I had a suspicion that they might win tonight. Clippers had a nice run :S

I think that was 2 games ago, which they also won big, but that's against the Nets. Either way, they are really playing well defensively the last 2 games and hopefully that's a good sign that they are getting it finally.

Cavs are gonna get that work vs the Warriors. The biggest loser out of that game will end up being Love. Watch this get quoted for being spectacularly wrong or Nostradamus.gif in a few weeks. Next Warriors loss will be an unexpected L in the next 2 weeks I reckon. Not vs a top team.

Hyperactivity said:
That is the beauty of JR Smith

Do you not remember?
I thought he found this thing called consistency, but JR gon JR. :\

Man, Lakers keep impressing. Missing two starts and winning vs the Hawks. Luke coaching like a GOAT.

Sandfox

Lakers dominated on Chick Hearn's 100th Birthday.

Best bench in the league:
CyUspI4VIAAmBUt.jpg:large

Top Bottom