• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

maladroid

Rockets have been great. D'Antoni finally has his new Nash to run his offfense and it's humming.

They've also been +14 per 100 with Harden on the bench since Pat Beverly's been back, so they're not a one man team. Getting good contributions all over the roster.
Yep. Capela complementing Harden's game instead of conflicting the way Dwight did, actual shooters and an actual coach have really helped Harden in his reputation restoration project. More importantly, the team look happy to be playing with each other and are winning games.

Bev's return allows Gordon to shine coming off the bench, and the progress of Harrell and Dekker has helped, too. Each night, one of Gordon/Ariza/Anderson could go off for 20+ points, with 7 or 8 total being in double digits. I should probably just enjoy it while it lasts, but the durability of some of our players in their past seasons and the impending return of Motiejunas has me worried.

The level of help Harden gets, although not All-Star level, is what makes what Russ is doing all the more impressive to me.

Harden averaged 29 points, 6.1 rebounds, 7.5 assists last season and failed to make an All-NBA team (an accolade voted by the media, in case you hadn't realised).
Harden this season is averaging 28.2 points, 7.6 rebounds, 11.4 assists and you wonder why the media are 'rewarding' him. I'll give you a clue.
It isn't because he's scoring less or grabbing 1.5 more rebounds.

The media as a whole shitted on Harden and the Rockets all last season due to Kevin McHale's sacking and the team barely clinging to the 8th seed. His assists are up which is great, but if he finishes with an All-NBA ranking and in the running for MVP it won't be because of that, but because Houston as a whole is playing better than last season.

Fjordson

I'm not watching, but my guess his defense is absolutely atrocious?
That and he constantly flops on offense, to the point where it causes turnovers, which is fucking crazy.

Durant tossed a regular pass to him on the perimeter and instead of catching he oversold a slight bump from Gasol to an absolute ridiculous degree, and just watched as the ball went out of bounds.

TTG

That and he constantly flops on offense, to the point where it causes turnovers, which is fucking crazy.

Durant tossed a regular pass to him on the perimeter and instead of catching he oversold a slight bump from Gasol to an absolute ridiculous degree, and just watched as the ball went out of bounds.

Is Klay broken again or is Tony Allen Tony Allening him up?

The media as a whole shitted on Harden and the Rockets all last season due to Kevin McHale's sacking and the team barely clinging to the 8th seed. His assists are up which is great, but if he finishes with an All-NBA ranking and in the running for MVP it won't be because of that, but because Houston as a whole is playing better than last season.

Yup. Being better means more visibility which means more likely to win awards.

Servbot24

Banned
I wonder why Curry looks so off this season. Gotta be either lingering knee issues or he just hasn't found his rhythm with not being the #1 option I guess.

I wonder why Curry looks so off this season. Gotta be either lingering knee issues or he just hasn't found his rhythm with not being the #1 option I guess.
Klay is shooting more than KD and Steph this season. But I do think he hasn't found his rhythm as well, his 3 is clearly off this season.

Grizzlies punking the Warriors like no other atm

My god, it's practically clockwork at this point. Every time the Warriors start really scaring the shit out of the rest of the league, the basketball Gods give them a loss so we know that they're beatable

TTG

3 turnovers to start the 2nd half, you know what to do Kerr:

giphy.gif

My god, it's practically clockwork at this point. Every time the Warriors start really scaring the shit out of the rest of the league, the basketball Gods give them a loss so we know that they're beatable

Of course, that also always coincides with the Warriors going nuts for the next couple of games

Timberwolves are doomed

Every team that gives any kind of minutes do Varejao in 2016 almost 2017 is very much beatable

If the rockets could get to 20-7 i would be so happy

18 would be Nets (Home), 19 Kings (Home), 20 Pelicans (Home) before a b2b with the Timberwolves (Away)

I think we could get to 20-7, but Kings, Pelicans, and Timberwolves are all exactly the sort of team you would expect to out of nowhere break a streak, so I'd rather not jinx it.

maladroid

One of these is a ball-hogging, flopping, me first-player who's unfairly being rewarded MVP candidate status by the media for their high usage. The other should be be given MVP at this rate for having a blast ripping through the league while employing true artistry in their endeavour.

Lp7wUMx.png

Feels good to be a Grizzlies fan right now mang.
Well done, Grizz. I was worried this season would be lost after Conley went down, but you've been doing a-ok so far.

Totally agree. D'Antoni will get him his stats, but it wouldn't matter if he was averaging 10 more assists than last year if this team wasn't winning.

mjp2417

Banned
Question for Dubs fans:
Out of all the potential second round matchups this year (Memphis, Houston, LAC, Utah, OKC) who would you least like to play?

maladroid

18 would be Nets (Home), 19 Kings (Home), 20 Pelicans (Home) before a b2b with the Timberwolves (Away)

I think we could get to 20-7, but Kings, Pelicans, and Timberwolves are all exactly the sort of team you would expect to out of nowhere break a streak, so I'd rather not jinx it.
I don't think you should sleep on the Nets either. They swept the Rockets last season.

Lost to a Dirk-less Mavs outfit led by Raymond Felton, too. Lots of bad losses I'd rather not remember. I'm just hoping this year's team takes care of the winnable games, and are competitive in the games they aren't expected to win.

Fjordson

After tonight's debacle Toronto now has the #1 offense in the league ahead of the Warriors (114.2 offensive rating).

Question for Dubs fans:
Out of all the potential second round matchups this year (Memphis, Houston, LAC, Utah, OKC) who would you least like to play?
LAC or Utah. The others don't worry me nearly as much tbh, especially OKC.

Will be interesting to see if Utah can be fully healthy for one of the regular season matchups coming up. They've got some good personnel to counter GS.

I see his point though. There was that HUGE curry landing on his neck scare in 2015, then his injury in 2016
Ariza also concussed Klay in that 2015 series. His symptoms were delayed so he didn't miss time but he wasn't himself for the rest of the playoffs.

But my comment was tongue-in-cheek anyway. I don't think any of those were intentional, especially last year when Curry slipped on a spot of sweat. So it would be silly to not want to play a team for fear an accidental injury may occur, unless you believe in curses or such.

maladroid

Ariza also concussed Klay in that 2015 series. His symptoms were delayed so he didn't miss time but he wasn't himself for the rest of the playoffs.

But my comment was tongue-in-cheek anyway. I don't think any of those were intentional, especially last year when Curry slipped on a spot of sweat. So it would be silly to not want to play a team for fear an accidental injury may occur, unless you believe in curses or such.
I recall the 2015 Curry injury during an Ariza box out, but not the Klay one. There were accusations thrown Ariza's way that what he did was intentional (when in less freakish circumstances it would have just been a plain over the back foul). Some of your brethren have been catching legit feels over the media's inability to appreciate true artistry, so I've lost the ability to tell when people are being facetious. Thanks for clarifying.

Going by Lakers-Dubs this season, the Warriors don't take too kindly to being beat. Don't think Houston would pose a problem in a playoff setting. Think Utah have the style and personnel to trouble them. At some point that team's got to become healthy.

Shit, Zaza is resting so Dubs are starting...Anderson Varejao. This could be ugly.

I can't believe Kerr would start Varejao. Actually I can't believe he is still part of the Warriors roster. Everytime he comes in, it seems to throw of the Warriors game with Varejao usually either just being in the way or killing the rhythm with his clumsy floppy style of play.

I hope his performance last night is reason enough to bench his ass till they can trade him.

I really have to question Kerr's coaching when he not only starts Varejao against the Grizzlies, but gives him as much playtime as he did, given how terrible the game started and continued to be while he was in. The Warriors could never get a rhythm going with Varejao on the court.

Eos

I don't even understand how Floppejao is still in the league, let alone the warriors keeping him
I mean the refs all know his schtick and will almost never fall for his acrobatic attempts of getting calls

TJ McConnel (Sixers) at half-time against the Pistons:
6 points, 9 assists, 6 (defensive) rebounds, 2 steals on 3-5 shooting in 18 minutes

Okafor and Noel are both playing pretty well, despite limited minutes, too

Top Bottom