• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

FStop7

Banned
Westbrook jawed with 3 different Blazers, 2 different fans, dude's just been playing angry. He was jawing with fans at the Lakers game, too.

OKC looks like shit without Oladipo.

Why not? I understand it typically goes to the best player on a team but can we not make a case that he has been that for the cavs so far this season? Not just numbers but consistently night in and night out.

Because he plays on the same team as the best player on the planet who himself is putting up 25/8/7? He has no shot. Not that he's not having a great season, but he's not even in the conversation. It's Westbrook/Durant/LeBron/Kawhi/Harden in some order right now.

mjp2417

Banned
So should Kevin Love be getting any mvp consideration?

Even peak Minnesota Kevin Love wasn't an MVP candidate, he was just a Top 10 player. Top 10 currently spans everything from Paul George to LeBron James. There is a gaping chasm between Paul George and LeBron James.

Servbot24

Banned
LeBron is obviously the best player, but you could take any one of Cavs big 3 off the team and they'd still be pretty good.

Take away Westbrook, Harden or Davis and those teams would be in ruins. I'd give MVP to whichever one of them gets farthest in the playoffs (which eliminates Davis).

Also the Lakers have lost 7 games in a row. Also remember, the Sixers own the Lakers pick with top 3 protection.

Hinkie da gawd

That plus his Kings deal might be some of the best trades I've seen in basketball. Might make up a bit for our terrible history with trades.

Also the TWolves should have way more wins with the amount of talent they have.

Jarate

Banned
That plus his Kings deal might be some of the best trades I've seen in basketball. Might make up a bit for our terrible history with trades.

Also the TWolves should have way more wins with the amount of talent they have.

Hinkie is probably going to be hired next year for a team, it's going to be interesting what team he signs with tbh. There's a few teams that could really go through a "the process" but I think in general, Hinkie was a good GM at the very least, which is 90x better then most.

Would love to see him go to the Pels and fix that mess. Feel bad for the Brow

winjet81

LeBron is obviously the best player, but you could take any one of Cavs big 3 off the team and they'd still be pretty good.

Take away Westbrook, Harden or Davis and those teams would be in ruins. I'd give MVP to whichever one of them gets farthest in the playoffs (which eliminates Davis).

Cavs without LBJ would struggle to make the playoffs.

I'd say the rockets would be just mediocre without harden. Probably just a .500 team. This year they have a decent supporting cast.

Westbrook is the MVP so far this year, and it's not really close. He's averaging a triple double, something that has been accomplished exactly once in NBA history (at a time when teams averaged a dozen more possessions per game because of the fast pace of play), he's leading the league in scoring, and he's doing it on a team where Enes Kanter is the second best player. His team isn't going to make a splash in the playoffs, but the MVP is a regular season award, and no one is more important to their team right now than Westbrook.

Time for your annual reminder that Westbrook, Harden and Durant are three of the top five players in the league right now (along with LeBron and Davis). Can you imagine OKC right now if they never made that Harden trade? Wasn't that shit ridiculous?

Westbrook is the MVP so far this year, and it's not really close. He's averaging a triple double, something that has been accomplished exactly once in NBA history (at a time when teams averaged a dozen more possessions per game because of the fast pace of play), he's leading the league in scoring, and he's doing it on a team where Enes Kanter is the second best player. His team isn't going to make a splash in the playoffs, but the MVP is a regular season award, and no one is more important to their team right now than Westbrook.

Time for your annual reminder that Westbrook, Harden and Durant are three of the top five players in the league right now (along with LeBron and Davis). Can you imagine OKC right now if they never made that Harden trade? Wasn't that shit ridiculous?
Kanter is not the Thunder's second best player. It's probably close between Adams and Oladipo. You're right that the team is super dependent on him but so are the Rockets on Harden and the Pelicans on Davis.

From what I see, Davis not only is the offensive centerpiece for the Pelicans, he's also responsible for the defense and he's damn good at it. He's also way more efficient than Westbrook. They're both scoring 30 pts a game but AD is doing it with a much higher percentage and less shots.

Harden is a bigger defensive liability than Westbrook (who has a ton of defensive lapses and a lack of focus) but he also orchestrates his team better.

phanphare

Banned
so apparently the hornets as a team are 2nd in the league in screen assists behind the warriors and cody zeller is 4th in the league in screen assists for players

that's cool

phanphare

Banned
dell just brought up during the game that the nba and the player's association have reached a principle agreement for a new 7-year cba

so that's cool

OldMan

Banned
Cavs competed (and sometimes won) against the Warriors when they had a true center (mozgof) so Christmas Day should be interesting.

Feels so good to be for the rockets to be blowing out teams we should actually be blowing out this year. So many of our losses were to bad teams last year.

Start up the tank. Lakers aren't going anywhere this year. Or next year.

Nah. Worst case scenario, Lakers don't get into the playoffs, Philly gets a decent pick, and the Lakers win 40 games next year due to to experience. Not a bad situation given how poorly other teams have it,.

I tried to tell y'all to start the season, we would be in a ton of these comeback to lose games, decided by 8-12 points. I would quote myself but I am on mobile. ☹️️

Guess we should have come back to reality, but yeah. Lakers weren't really making the playoffs, but they were simply working on getting better and developing the team. Safe to say that it's working out, anyway.

This is Randle and Russell's second year in the NBA, and Ingram is barely NINETEEN. Give it time.

Marz

Watching the Jazz Thunder game right now. Clearly evident whenever the Thunder play good defensive teams they struggle. Westbrook dominates the ball because he has to there are no other creators on the team and Adams has almost no post game.

The game would be closer if Westbrook just tried to take over.

Lakers might keep that pic again afterall!

My prediction on the season was 30 wins so I'm not really sweating things. Guys are still developing (which is more important at this stage than win total) and I like what Luke is building. Let the Timberwolves be the shining example for realizing that with young teams, these things take time.

Obnoxious Philly fans notwithstanding (note I'm not talking about the Philly fans here), I'm glad that at least our pick is going to a team I actually revere and hope start becoming their dominant self, instead of some fucking team like the Celtics or the Mavericks.

76ers=4th best franchise in NBA history.

After an up year last year, I think the Eastern conference is firmly back to being the LEASTern conference. The freakin Knicks are 3rd in that God Awful conference. Toronto and Cleveland are the only 2 teams worth a damn in that conference, and the rest are a crap shoot

Lakers might keep that pic again afterall!

My prediction on the season was 30 wins so I'm not really sweating things. Guys are still developing (which is more important at this stage than win total) and I like what Luke is building. Let the Timberwolves be the shining example for realizing that with young teams, these things take time.

Plus, all those injuries wrecked havoc on our rotations. We were playing pretty good before the injury bug struck.

After an up year last year, I think the Eastern conference is firmly back to being the LEASTern conference. The freakin Knicks are 3rd in that God Awful conference. Toronto and Cleveland are the only 2 teams worth a damn in that conference, and the rest are a crap shoot

Nah, there's definitely a clear separation between Raptors and the rest, but East is a full blown log jam from 3 through 10. If seeds 8-10 were better in the West, the top teams would suffer too.

Knicks were 9th just a while ago. Bucks had a streak where they were 4th. Bulls look mixed but also will probably do well in the playoffs. Pistons and Celtics I have no idea. Hawks are having a crappy season but maybe (?) they get back into their 9-2 form

FStop7

Banned
All I've hoped for is thirty or forty wins out of the Lakers at the most. It's more about player improvement and team cohesion. I think they're gonna need to make a move, they need a star.

Jalen Rose just said the league should fine teams for resting healthy players. Good luck with that. I agree with the sentiment but that'll never happen.

All I've hoped for is thirty or forty wins out of the Lakers at the most. It's more about player improvement and team cohesion. I think they're gonna need to make a move, they need a star.

Jalen Rose just said the league should fine teams for resting healthy players. Good luck with that. I agree with the sentiment but that'll never happen.

40 wins? Lower your expectations. Think somewhere in the 25-30 range. Then hopefully the league can still do us a solid and rig the lottery balls so that we keep our pick and add Josh Jackson because I don't want to wait, for our lives to be over.

40 wins? Lower your expectations. Think somewhere in the 25-30 range. Then hopefully the league can still do us a solid and rig the lottery balls so that we keep our pick and add Josh Jackson because I don't want to wait, for our lives to be over.

We'll get Bryce Alford and like it. ☹️️

We'll get Bryce Alford and like it. ☹️️

full

They've done it before so I wouldn't be shocked if they did it again. Just a matter of timing. I want the Cavs to rest Lebron on Christmas day for ultimate lols.

Top Bottom