• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

FStop7

Banned
Dude, 40 wins is .500 minus 1.

This team ain't that yet.

40 wins? Lower your expectations. Think somewhere in the 25-30 range. Then hopefully the league can still do us a solid and rig the lottery balls so that we keep our pick and add Josh Jackson because I don't want to wait, for our lives to be over.

I think they'll get 30. I agree that 40 is a pipe dream. I'm already happy to see how much they've changed.

Ripenen

Christmas day game is a BIG game for love. All we have seen so far is good but can you do it when it counts. This is potentially the team your could see in the finals. So he needs to come out and show out and let golden state know there is a new love in Cleveland and also that he sees their move with Durant and he counters that. Going to be good.

But will the Cavs have an answer for JaVale McGee?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Someone on Toronto radio raised a point I didn't even think of...resting players happens in other sports but it's not ripped on as hard or at all.

NFL rests guys in the last few weeks of the season once teams have clinched their spots.

NHL at any point can have their starting goalie sit games.

MLB sit guys all the time for maintenance days and so forth.

Obviously in the end each one has their reasons for it, but the person on the radio was just really trying to say it's accepted in other sports but in the NBA it's ridiculous.

Personally I'm indifferent on it.

Servbot24

Banned
Christmas day game is a BIG game for love. All we have seen so far is good but can you do it when it counts. This is potentially the team your could see in the finals. So he needs to come out and show out and let golden state know there is a new love in Cleveland and also that he sees their move with Durant and he counters that. Going to be good.

Love is a nice player but he doesn't counter Durant, lol

Someone on Toronto radio raised a point I didn't even think of...resting players happens in other sports but it's not ripped on as hard or at all.

NFL rests guys in the last few weeks of the season once teams have clinched their spots.

Obviously in the end each one has their reasons for it, but the person on the radio was just really trying to say it's accepted in other sports but in the NBA it's ridiculous.

I feel like it is a nonissue. Resting players helps makes them recover from minor injuries and keeps minor injuries from becoming a bigger issue. The quality of play during the real season, the playoffs, benefits from moves like this

I think it comes up in the NBA more because that league is much more star driven. Between concessions, tickets, parking, taking the spouse and kids out to an NBA game is quite the financial undertaking these days, especially for your average lower-middle class families. Spending all that money and then getting a glorified preseason game might rub some fans the wrong way and give them pause the next time they think about spending money on a game. I could see why this concerning to the league, but I also get why coaches and teams do it. Everyone involved could go a long way towards remedying this by negotiating changes in the schedule to eliminate back to backs and 4 games in 5 night stretches though.

FStop7

Banned
I heard mention on Sportscenter that the league is looking to adjust scheduling so there will be fewer back to back games and less of a need for coaches to rest healthy players.

I agree with the sentiment, it's bullshit for the fans. But I also see the perspective of the coaches and players, especially when it comes to the teams that are in contention.

On the other hand, Mr. Lebron talks about how he's "chasing a ghost from Chicago" and Jordan barely missed any games.

Sorithin

I heard mention on Sportscenter that the league is looking to adjust scheduling so there will be fewer back to back games and less of a need for coaches to rest healthy players.

Isn't this what the new agreement announced last night is? Shorter preseason and then the regular season starts a week or 2 earlier so that there are more rest days.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I know coaches want to do it to keep players more healthy, but the league can't allow it. Effects the bottom line too much $$$ wise.

You can't promote and market a league where players and coaches choose days off.

Also the NFL gets ripped for what they charge for preseason games. It's also why a lot of preseason games are like half empty.

I know coaches want to do it to keep players more healthy, but the league can't allow it. Effects the bottom line too much $$$ wise.

You can't promote and market a league where players and coaches choose days off.

There is nothing they can do. If they try and outlaw it teams will just make up bs injuries. "Oh LeBron's toe is sore so he's taking the night off". If the league wants to deal with this issue, you do if by adjusting scheduling.

"We didn't rest him. Mike Dunleavy played better in practice and we gave him the minutes instead. DNP-CD. Next."

Exactly. That's not a road the league wants to go down. Shortening the season is probably out of the question, but I don't see why between reducing the preseason, adjusting travel and limiting back to backs the league and players can't come up some solution that isn't beneficial to both sides while not impacting (if anything, improving) the quality of the product.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
There is nothing they can do. If they try and outlaw it teams will just make up bs injuries. "Oh LeBron's toe is sore so he's taking the night off". If the league wants to deal with this issue, you do if by adjusting scheduling.

With the recent push for more tech solutions in tracking player health by some teams, I'm sure some would find a way to have "fatigue" be an official injury diagnosis.

Sager
mjcry1.png

It's gonna be weird watching the NBA and never seeing him with his colorful coats anymore :(

Part of the fun was seeing what he would wear next........

TTG

I see Rose and Melo are resting, NYK has not evolved their resting strategy like Golden State has. The Warriors' starters, like dolphins, are able to shut off half their brain and still function, thus they're always playing, but seem to suck really bad on certain nights.

Top Bottom