• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

the 7th seed in the west has a better record than the third seed in the east, but the 8th seed in the west has a worse record than the 10th seed in the east

TTG

the 7th seed in the west has a better record than the third seed in the east, but the 8th seed in the west has a worse record than the 10th seed in the east

I think this will be the first year I'll watch the eastern conference playoffs since Lebron went back to Cleveland, not that it's Lebron's fault. Hopefully the Bulls, Knicks, and Bucks all make it and are healthy.

Sager
mjcry1.png

It's gonna be weird watching the NBA and never seeing him with his colorful coats anymore :(

Part of the fun was seeing what he would wear next........
I wish Craig Sager JR would replace him full time.

:-(

Love at his best does. You have to look at the whole team dynamic the way love is playing right now I think he evens things out a lot more. I just want to see how he performs this season in a pressure game. There will be a lot of pressure Christmas day nationally televised against a team your team has played the last two finals. Simply put no way (assuming they meet) cavs beat the warriors without the love we are seeing right now.

KD is a top 3 player (I'd put him at 2) but saying Love at his best is better is a bit of a cop out answer. Give it till playoff time when KD has been playing in the Warriors system for a sustained period of time and I think we'll see prime MVP level KD

valkyre

Before i continue with my post I too have to express sympathy for the great Craig Sager :(

What a colorful all around person he was.

Having said that I have a basketball rule question...here is the -rather crazy- scenario:

- Say a game's score is TEAM A 98 - TEAM B 100. These are the final seconds of the game.
- Player from TEAM A shoots the ball before the time expires, from half court (way behind the 3 point line)
- The ball never hits or reaches the basket rim, but instead bounces from inside the 3 point line (say it bounces at the freethrow line). Its effectively an airball but with a catch
- At the point the ball bounces on the free throw line and is again up in the air, the buzzer beats
- The ball enters the basket.

My question is:

a) Does the basket count?
b) If yes, is the game tied at 100 - 100 because the basket bounced from inside the 3 point line before entering the basket, or does team A win 101-100 because the original shot was from half court?

PatjuhR

After it hit the ground I think it's basically not a shot anymore. So I wouldn't count it if it doesn't go in before the buzzer. It's just a loose ball.

But I'm no expert

valkyre

The ball would have to make the bounce prior to time expiring. And yes, it would be two points if inside the arc.

Yes like I said the ball bounces before the time expires. The buzzer beats after the ball has bounce and is on its way to the basket but before the ball enters the basket.

The point is is this still considered a "shot" after the ball bounces?

Servbot24

Banned
KD isn't just a shooter though, and he's not taking shots away from Steph and Klay. Agreed that LeBron is the best player, but no one has the advantage over GSW when it comes to unselfishness. For example last night, every single GSW field goal came from an assist until around 30 minutes into the game.

phanphare

Banned
edit: oh great, kemba's out tonight. at least they'll have a solid excuse for losing.

You obviously are not hearing what I am saying. I am not judging kd vs K-love. I am saying golden state with kd talent and cavs with k love talent. I would say cavs have the advantage because their big three are kind of all different players. Golden state added a shooter. Also LeBron is the most unselfish superstar and best playmaker in the league. So find K-love open shots and opportunities are easy for him knowing he can gets his whenever. Kd taking shots away from another shooter can throw off their rhythm. So to me yes he evens the teams out not saying he is better than kd. I think using these two teams will be easier from Bron, Kyrie, and Love to all have a big game then klay, kd, and Steph. But the games have to be played and we have to see. Christmas day is that first meeting. Should be fun!

you're talking about the warriors, right? the team that gets a large share of their shots assisted? golden state's whole identity is about moving the ball around and getting good looks. something like 70%+ of their made FGs have been assisted this season. also KD is averaging almost 5 assists (4.9) per 36 minutes this season which is up from his career average of 3.6. also boiling down KD as being just a shooter is disingenuous as hell.

You obviously are not hearing what I am saying. I am not judging kd vs K-love. I am saying golden state with kd talent and cavs with k love talent. I would say cavs have the advantage because their big three are kind of all different players. Golden state added a shooter. Also LeBron is the most unselfish superstar and best playmaker in the league. So find K-love open shots and opportunities are easy for him knowing he can gets his whenever. Kd taking shots away from another shooter can throw off their rhythm. So to me yes he evens the teams out not saying he is better than kd. I think using these two teams will be easier from Bron, Kyrie, and Love to all have a big game then klay, kd, and Steph. But the games have to be played and we have to see. Christmas day is that first meeting. Should be fun!
You're making currently one of the most complete players in the NBA seem like a 1 trick pony. I do agree that rhythm is affecting Steph in particular esp since he hasn't done any iso moves that he used to do, but cmon now.

FStop7

Banned
They were literally just saying last night that GSW's assisted scoring was the highest since the 96-97 Bulls and by some other metric the highest since the showtime Lakers.

You not wrong
LeBron is better than Kobe in every way

Every way I'm sure is debatable, but yeah Lebron pretty much ended the argument of him being better than Tim and Kobe, especially now. Having said that, 95<100 for me, so it's saying it's not an insult of someone's greatness if one is better than the other.

qcf x2

I'm a Pacers fan and Paul George is looking like merely a "good" player, certainly not a "franchise" player. Dude is making mental errors at critical times and just looks like he doesn't really wanna be bothered sometimes. He's good enough that even thru all of this he's still putting up 20 and 7 with solid efficiency, but he's certainly been a disappointment.

I'm a Pacers fan and Paul George is looking like merely a "good" player, certainly not a "franchise" player. Dude is making mental errors at critical times and just looks like he doesn't really wanna be bothered sometimes. He's good enough that even thru all of this he's still putting up 20 and 7 with solid efficiency, but he's certainly been a disappointment.

J Cole of the NBA

FStop7

Banned
Hassan Whiteside needs to stick to playing rather than talking shit about other players.

Birdman tore his acl and is out for the year. Cavs gotta shop for a garbage time center.

That's probably gonna be the end of his NBA career, huh? That sucks. He had a tough childhood and basketball probably saved him from a bad life. Would like to see him go out on a high note.

Love how the Lakers played tonight. Lot's of potential here.

I think the original lineup has shown that it's the best. Ingram is getting minutes which I like.

FStop7

Banned
Christmas Day:

Celtics/Knicks
Warriors/Cavs
Bulls/Spurs
Twolves/Thunder
Clips/Lakers

Basically basketball from 9AM - 10PM

Rockets were close to setting a single game 3 point record in their last game, but tonight they beat it! 24 made 3 pointers (new record) and 61 attempted (new record)

maladroid

Rockets were close to setting a single game 3 point record in their last game, but tonight they beat it! 24 made 3 pointers (new record) and 61 attempted (new record)
Rockets were two 3PMs off against the Kings on 50% shooting. Kinda wish the record was broken that game, but you can't complain about another blowout win. When's the last time two players on the same team had triple doubles in the same game? Feel like Bev is itching closer and closer to one. Team's been great since he came back.

maladroid

Houston is 20-7 and still can very well be a first round KO in my eyes.
Before the season, I had doubts we'd even make the playoffs. I'm glad we've been this entertaining so far, but I can't shake this feeling that we're just a good regular season team (akin to the 2013/14 Rockets).

Hitta93

Banned
Before the season, I had doubts we'd even make the playoffs. I'm glad we've been this entertaining so far, but I can't shake this feeling that we're just a good regular season team (akin to the 2013/14 Rockets).

13/14 Rockets just caught a bad matchup.

I just feel the West is wide open this year. Warriors are still the team to beat, but they're even beatable IMO.

Christian

Love that Harden Adidas commercial.

Can't believe how well the Rockets are playing. And they're actually fun to watch, which I definitely haven't thought since Harden got there. An interesting team. Pringles redeemed?

Fjordson

13/14 Rockets just caught a bad matchup.

I just feel the West is wide open this year. Warriors are still the team to beat, but they're even beatable IMO.
As I see more of the season I kinda agree. It's still early so who really knows, but yeah.

Was hoping the Dubs would just be a juggernaut, but with Steph looking quite mortal I'm not sure they are.

More like "akin to almost every D'antoni team."
We truly are playing like an early 2000s Phoenix team

Top Bottom