• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

So Eric Gordon finally became great again. He's shooting amazingly. Always wanted this guy in a Bulls jersey when they had all those garbage shooting guards.

OldMan

Banned
NUsMcKg.png

McRae has looked real good in the minutes he's played.

Cavaliers-Lakers game is going to be a bloodbath.

I'll still watch though

Also, I watched Randle and man, he still hesitates with his jumpers. A LOT.

Jarate

Banned
Philly has some fuckery going on. Where will Noel and Okafor end up. They are both talented enough to get good talent back for in a trade. I mean they are all in on "the process" so....

Well, from what has been said around philly, the Sixers have been trying their hardest to trade Noel due to his RFA and just being the odd man out (although Noel is better then Okafor) but, Noel has also tanked his trade value massively over this summer and year by basically fucking over the team as much as possible. He's also apparently kind of a dick, and doesnt get along with the rest of the team.

Im assuming that we're trying to wait for a situation in which we can somewhat decent value, and it's not like we're going to win this year, so we do have the luxury of being patient and waiting for the trade deadline.

Okafor has also tanked his value pretty hard, although, I think this is more due to the Sixers coaching then anything. Okafor needs to be a guy on a standard half court set with decent wing defenders who can fight through screens. In philly he's forcede to switch constantly, and probably has had the worst defensive guards his past 2 years which really hurts him overall since he's not an elite defender.

So it's tough, you're trying to trade one of these two, for somewhat decent value (and no, random vets like mo williams and chris anderson along with shitty guards like Mcrae aren't going to net you Okafor.) especially when both are put into situations which hurt their value. Colangelo apparently had a deal for Beverely and Sam Dekker for Noel, which I was for at the time because Beverely is a good solid NBA poijnt guard who would work great with Ben Simmons, and im a badger homer so Dekker was always someone I liked. But now I doubt we can get a deal like that.

Also, it seems like nobody in the league has had any big man injuries of any worth, which is somewhat random (in fact, there hasnt been that many injuries to stars this year).

But Noel has gotta stop being a bitch. You played 8 minutes last night because we played you for long periods of time the previous game and you immediately sprained your ankle. You're going to have to be patient.

But there's been a lot more anger and problems on the team with Colangelo in charge rather then Hinkie. Hinkie was loved by everyone on the team, I doubt youj're going to get the same reaction.

Right now, we're going to have to be patient for Simmons though. We have 6 wins due to Jojo, but we desperately need a primary ball handler on our team. Simmonsprovides everything we need. and a starting lineup of Henderson, Covington, Simmons, Illyasova and Embiid is going to be a ridiculous defensive lineup (Yes I think Henderson will play the point purely to defend. He wont be expected to be the primary ballhandler) With a back up lineup of Sergio, Stauskas, Thompson, Saric and Okafor/Noel is probably good enough to get you to 30 wins in a season at this stage.

basically, tl;dr; Hinkie managed players a lot better then Colangelo has, Colangelo needs to be patient but kind of has a gun against his head where he's fucked if he waits and he's fucked if he doesn't, and the Ben Simmons injury, along with the most recent injury to Bayless have been absolute killers.

The good news is that Embiid + Simmons is going to be an elite duo, and they have a load of great roleplayers like Covington, Saric, and either of those 2 centers while having a good backup guard in Stauskas. We really just need a PG, which is what this draft will give us ( FUCK UP FOR FULTZ) and we also kind of need a SG, whicvh once again, we will most likely get another top 10 pick in this guard heavy draft.

As I see more of the season I kinda agree. It's still early so who really knows, but yeah.

Was hoping the Dubs would just be a juggernaut, but with Steph looking quite mortal I'm not sure they are.

I feel like Steph is saving his bullets for the playoffs. Last two playoffs he's both gotten hurt and ran out of gas.

So it's tough, you're trying to trade one of these two, for somewhat decent value (and no, random vets like mo williams and chris anderson along with shitty guards like Mcrae aren't going to net you Okafor.) especially when both are put into situations which hurt their value. Colangelo apparently had a deal for Beverely and Sam Dekker for Noel, which I was for at th.

That trade would've been amazing for the Sixers, looking back.

Beverley is an off ball guard, that while not a traditional veteran team, leader, does shit like this:

https://streamable.com/qds4

to hype up and energize younger players.

Then Dekker as small forward would've been great, as even if he doesn't get that efficiency he has under a D'Antoni system, he puts in the work and fights for every minute he gets.

Meanwhile, Noel on Rockets might have stifled Capela's growth, not to mention how much of the heart and soul of the Rockets Bev currently is

OldMan

Banned
Uncle P dealing

I've scouted the Lakers this season in the post Kobe era and tonight they're pushing a lot of 1v1 ball rather than swinging the ball around. Wonder how that changes come second half.

TTG

That's the first finesse/dribbling/skill highlight I've seen from Westbrook. That was great, shammgod is always pretty.

Rockets are fucking unreal. I thought it was over and then the 3s start falling.

Harden, Anderson, Gordon, Ariza, they can all get 3s when you really badly need it. Beverley gets the clutchest rebounds and steals late in the game.

God I love this team

boxter432

Wolves should have fouled late instead of giving up yet another three. Or made a layup... pathetic finish. This team hates winning. We'll see if they continue the collapse on OT
Edit: yep, yet another three given up. Turnovers and easy layups. Team doesn't want to win.

Rockets now have a 10 game streak. Spurs, Grizzlies, and Clippers are all in our next 6 (we rest before each one and only Grizzlies on road, thank god), but there isn't a single team who I'd mark off as unbeatable for us right now

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
This Rockets team is making it easier to deal with Brock/Bob/Texans

Team is for real.

mjp2417

Banned
Is the common NBA fan aware of how injured the Jazz have been? And how good they could potentially be?

I think most people who follow the league in any depth thought they were going to be a solid playoff team with a legit shot at making the second round. But that still looks like their ceiling even if they are completely healthy come April.

Fjordson

Man it's getting ugly in Portland....second highest payroll in the league and they're tied with Sacramento for 8th in the West. They look like a mess.

Man it's getting ugly in Portland....second highest payroll in the league and they're tied with Sacramento for 8th in the West. They look like a mess.

When a good chunk of that payroll is tied into Allen Crabbe (9 ppg/$18 million a year) and Evan Turner (9 ppg/$17 million a year) when their two best players (Lillard and McCollum) were already backcourt guys, it's wasn't hard to see this coming.

TTG

My knee jerk reaction is to say they bought into their own hype/expectations, but I don't know. Maybe they're a victim of the new cap as well, if there is such a thing.

Fjordson

When a good chunk of that payroll is tied into Allen Crabbe (9 ppg/$18 million a year) and Evan Turner (9 ppg/$17 million a year) when their two best players (Lillard and McCollum) were already backcourt guys, it's wasn't hard to see this coming.
Also saw today that Festus Ezeli is having season ending knee surgery.

My knee jerk reaction is to say they bought into their own hype/expectations, but I don't know. Maybe they're a victim of the new cap as well, if there is such a thing.
A little of the bolded I think.

They were good last year, so they decided to stand pat and invest in keeping that roster together. Problem is it seems like they overachieved a bit. Only big move they made was Evan Turner who's just...not good.

edit: lol every time I post a concern about Curry's shooting he has a good night. 5-8 on threes tonight.

Top Bottom