• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOI4jGTDUfR/

chrispaulnoooo.png
chrispaulnoooo.png
chrispaulnoooo.png

Wow...Shammgod into that drop off pass with the victory pose at the end..

maladroid

13/14 Rockets just caught a bad matchup.

I just feel the West is wide open this year. Warriors are still the team to beat, but they're even beatable IMO.
Any team with a decent frontcourt seems like a bad matchup for us even now. KAT destroyed us and they would've won if they were coached competently.

I'm glad we could eke out a win on a 1000-mile back-to-back, but the team looks vulnerable when they don't shoot well.

More like "akin to almost every D'antoni team."
We truly are playing like an early 2000s Phoenix team
I only really have past Rockets teams as a point of reference. The way James brings it up the court most times, it's 7 seconds just to get it to half court, haha. If Harden is our Nash, who are our Amar'e and Marion?

Clippers lost...

I want to cry, we have 3rd seed for a decent amount of time now

Any team with a decent frontcourt seems like a bad matchup for us even now. KAT destroyed us and they would've won if they were coached competently.

I'm glad we could eke out a win on a 1000-mile back-to-back, but the team looks vulnerable when they don't shoot well.

I only really have past Rockets teams as a point of reference. The way James brings it up the court most times, it's 7 seconds just to get it to half court, haha. If Harden is our Nash, who are our Amar'e and Marion?

I imagine Capela being injured and Dekker not playing well hurt us a bunch in that regard as well. We need more front-court depth, but Capela having to sit out most of the game led to Anderson guarding KAT, which was nightmare fuel before Beverley AKA Mr. 94 Feet started to help out more

DMC's just a fucking idiot. Maybe he has some kind of Rasheed turnaround to his career, but as it stands, he's a fucking idiot. Which is a shame because he has top 5 type talent.

It's still a little nutty to think about how Portland had LaMarcus Aldridge, Nicolas Batum, Robin Lopez, and Wesley Matthews on their team 2 years ago.

Just one of them on this current Portland team would probably help them a ton

It's still a little nutty to think about how Portland had LaMarcus Aldridge, Nicolas Batum, Robin Lopez, and Wesley Matthews on their team 2 years ago.

Just one of them on this current Portland team would probably help them a ton

4 years before that we had Rookie of the Year Brandon Roy, number one pick Greg Oden and young LaMarcus. Unfortunately Portland's climate apparently turns joints into butter. But yeah, that core of LMA, Batum, Matthews, Lopez and Lillard was sensational. A shame Matthews got hurt and they decided to blow it up. Glad they're all still playing well. If there's one thing we like to do in Portland, it's cheer for people after they leave us. We named a road here after Clyde after he left town to win rings in Houston, and we may do the same with LMA. You play here, you're a Blazer for life (except for Ray Felton and Rudy Fernandez, who were rude to us and we consequently hate).

There is about a zero chance of LeBron signing off on bringing in a malcontent like Rajon. Also the Sixers are not trading Nerlins and Okafor and getting back Shumpert and Channing Frye in return.

Ninja, any (realistic) Lakers trade you would like to see? I'm wondering who we could get.

The only thing I could see them doing it shopping Lou or Nick to playoff teams but I doubt the return would be high. Best you could hope for is maybe getting some desperate team to give you a super protected 1st rounder for maybe Lou, but that's a stretch. It sounds crazy because those were the two guys I wanted to trade/cut during the offseason but at this point I'd rather just keep them they seem to be helping with the young guys' development.

SMH I'm starting to get worried about some of the other usual suspects creeping towards the bottom of the standings.

They need to
camby.png
and win some games. Minnesota, Miami, The Pelicans.

Bitch ass Lakers owe their 1st rounder to Philly anyways.

At least the Jazz got their shit together.

Slizeezyc

I don't see any reason the Cavaliers would do that deal. Rondo is not good, and too much of a wild card, and ruins their spacing -- I doubt he wants to be on the bench either.

Jahlil Okafor is not good at basketball at this point and would ruin their spacing (and doesn't protect the rim anyway). I honestly don't know what he does at a high level at this point as even his points come with caveats. He is turning into an impressive bust thus far.

I also feel like the Cavs have enough issues as is on the wing, to get rid of their one lone wing who is young-ish to solve none of their actual problems seems a bit odd.

TTG

SMH I'm starting to get worried about some of the other usual suspects creeping towards the bottom of the standings.

They need to
camby.png

Miami is a post big 3 wasteland, Pelicans have been hurt and have had a rough schedule(3 against GSW somehow, 2 to clips, 2 to spurs), but the Wolves, holy shit. Tied for the least wins in the league. Every national nba writer needs to be down there trying to diagnose what happened.

I was always concerned about the Thibs hire, but mostly because they gave him full control which, as good as a coach as he had been, can backfire. I did not expect he'd be such a bad fit with such a young team though.

Slizeezyc

The Wolves struggling is just your latest reminder that young teams don't win unless they're the Thunder (hard to lose with Harden, KD, Westbrook, Ibaka), and even they had to be bad enough to get all those dudes in a row.

(But the secret may be that Andrew Wiggins is in the wrong era. The empty points, nothing else wing won't be beloved for long if this continues as it has for the entirety of his career so far. LaVine has a similar issue, but he wasn't a first pick and somehow doesn't have as empty of stats. Towns, Wiggins and LaVine all need to play better defense either way as that's the real issue if you're singling one out this year.)

Jarate

Banned

why the fuck would the sixers invest in Channing Frye or Shumpert? Why would they be willing to trade 2 top 6 picks for those players?

Why would the cavaliers want Okafor, a guy who won't help now and needs the ball in his hands, and Rajon Rondo, another player who needs the ball in their hands when they have Lebron James and Kyrie Irving

Your trade proposals have been weak bro. Please think about these things a little

scoobs

The Wolves struggling is just your latest reminder that young teams don't win unless they're the Thunder (hard to lose with Harden, KD, Westbrook, Ibaka), and even they had to be bad enough to get all those dudes in a row.

(But the secret may be that Andrew Wiggins is in the wrong era. The empty points, nothing else wing won't be beloved for long if this continues as it has for the entirety of his career so far. LaVine has a similar issue, but he wasn't a first pick and somehow doesn't have as empty of stats. Towns, Wiggins and LaVine all need to play better defense either way as that's the real issue if you're singling one out this year.)

Yes all 2 years of his long and storied career. Dudes 21 and Minn fans are expecting a 19 year old, and a couple 21 year olds to take them to the playoffs in the West. You gonna suck for like 2-3 more years and then you'll be good, assuming you don't trade away anyone you shouldn't and you keep adding pieces. KAT is a top 5 player at some point in the next 5 years, just gotta build around him. In 5 years I'm going to guess Wiggins will be a pretty solid starting 2 or 3. Maybe not the transcendent superstar people thought he was going to be though.

They need to
camby.png

Fuck that Riley is going all in on this tank.

He's been chillin in college games scouting

Slizeezyc

Yes all 2 years of his long and storied career. Dudes 21 and Minn fans are expecting a 19 year old, and a couple 21 year olds to take them to the playoffs in the West. You gonna suck for like 2-3 more years and then you'll be good, assuming you don't trade away anyone you shouldn't and you keep adding pieces. KAT is a top 5 player at some point in the next 5 years, just gotta build around him. In 5 years I'm going to guess Wiggins will be a pretty solid starting 2 or 3. Maybe not the transcendent superstar people thought he was going to be though.

2+ years is enough to see a trend in a player. Again, I wouldn't take that to mean it never changes or mean I'm trying to say nothing ever changes, but there is a shelf life on pretending it's not a thing, and at some point the conversation about what he is and could be does turn a bit. We see it with every young player, at some point the grace period ends. I think because Wiggins gets POINTZ in bunches there will be more leeway, but just pointing it out as something that's a thing so far in his career.

And, even that being said, I'm basically saying that the "downside" is what you're saying he may settle in as, which is that he's a solid starting 2 or 3 -- who can play some 4 if he ever learns to rebound even a little.

No argument from me in terms of how the team butters its bread, it's just maybe also a consideration at some point to think what best fits around KAT. KAT is a beautiful man, even with his defense taking a clear step back this season, and I have little doubt about his future.

random25

Wolves will probably lose those talent in a few years before they could reap the rewards of developing them. No way that core will remain intact with a continuous losing culture.

And the Clippers really need to think about moving Blake before the deadline. I still don't trust that he'll remain healthy come playoff time.

TTG

3-6 weeks for Blake.

Awful. At least the Thunder had a last real shot before they went kaput, if the Clippers go out limping again and that's the last of it, yeeesh.

Besides that, their first 3 men off the bench are so bad on defense you can't even hide them. It's Rivers, Crawford, and Speights out there. Washington beat the shit out of Rivers jr. in the 4th today, he fouled out by the end.

scoobs

Wolves just need to make some changes in the roster acquiring actual basketball players in the bench and get a point guard.

Couldn't be more on point. Twolves bench is a catastrophe. I think Shabazz can be a nice piece and Aldrich is a solid backup center who can rebound and play hard for you 10 minutes a game, but other than that... idk man, not a lot to like there.

And I love Rubio, but you can't have a complete non-threat running point full-time, and Dunn seems like it'll take a few years.

Couldn't be more on point. Twolves bench is a catastrophe. I think Shabazz can be a nice piece and Aldrich is a solid backup center who can rebound and play hard for you 10 minutes a game, but other than that... idk man, not a lot to like there.

And I love Rubio, but you can't have a complete non-threat running point full-time, and Dunn seems like it'll take a few years.

I dont think most people have watched Wolves games and so they expect Kat/Wiggins/Lavine to win games. Most teams would love to be in such a close position to actually be relevant. They don't need a lucky draft or tanking or whatever. Just some trading and roster filling. And yeah, Rubio gotta go.

pislit

DMC's just a fucking idiot. Maybe he has some kind of Rasheed turnaround to his career, but as it stands, he's a fucking idiot. Which is a shame because he has top 5 type talent.

Here's hoping for Boggie do a Zach Randolph maturity turnaround (those NYK / LAC days were crayer than Portland's) instead of running into the path of Eddie Griffin.

winjet81

I'm stunned that the Magic have won 12 games this year.

Their roster is awful: frontcourt of Biyombo/Ibaka/Gordon is just plain miserable to watch and they are giving minutes to NBA failures like Jeff Green, DJ Augustin, Jodie Meeks and CJ Watson.

Surely Rob Hennigan's job isn't safe.

Top Bottom