• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Ephemeris

Kyrie clutch game too strong, Richard MF Jefferson posterizing people

SEeodrT.gif

Merry Christmas.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Curry was clutch as anyone in the league til he went down on his knee. He is definitely not at 100%. That's no excuse for sloppy play though.

He can be injured and still show up when it's needed.

It's the same story as last year, when his injure was used as an excuse and he still managed to have that monster overtime against the trailblazers.

My favorite part of this Warriors season so far is Durant pulling the rug out and supplanting Curry as the top dog of the Warriors simply by virtue of being a better player.

KD has received a ton of flack over his move to the Warriors. Whether it's deserving or undeserving, at least he looks like the best player on the Warriors. Being the new guy to the team, it's a nice accomplishment for him

If the Warriors lose the finals this year and/or are placed in a position of only being able to have Curry or Durant, I think they'd go with Durant

Shang Tsung Irving took his soul. That's an injury you don't recover.

EBaehfl.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMrdhJf2ScY

That's just the big final shot, but that whole series Irving was showing up the unanimous MVP. What Irving did in that series is historical

Warriors played a horrible game and almost beat the Cavs on the road. That bodes well for the future.

That's some kinda spin.

Cavs shot poorly from virtually all players, ran without our starting SG against GSW's full squad who had a chip on their shoulders and something they believed they needed to prove...

...and showed us CLE is *still* the better team. Still more clutch. Still able to stop the vaunted GSW shooters when it matters. Still able to squeeze out difficult buckets down the stretch. GSW might not shoot that poorly in the rematch...but we've heard that song and dance before in the NBA Finals. Remember that? At some point it stops being a coincidence or an off night. Meanwhile, CLE won't shoot that poorly either. We'll have JR back and hopefully a serviceable center as well via trade.

That's the reality. Prohibitive favorites? Not so fast.

Servbot24

Banned
He can be injured and still show up when it's needed.

It's the same story as last year, when his injure was used as an excuse and he still managed to have that monster overtime against the trailblazers.

Like I said, injury is not an excuse but that doesn't mean it's not real.

He also set his 3 point PR this year against NO, he'll still do it now and then. Just not 30+ average like before.

Yurikerr

Like I said, injury is not an excuse but that doesn't mean it's not real.

He also set his 3 point PR this year against NO, he'll still do it now and then. Just not 30+ average like before.

I never said he is a fraud, he's a very good basketball player (but I personally think that KD is a better player, for example).

What I'm saying is that I don't see Curry being the guy that you can trust to flame the team on the last quarter.

Servbot24

Banned
I never said he is a fraud, he's a very good basketball player (but I personally think that KD is a better player, for example).

What I'm saying is that I don't see Curry being the guy that you can trust to flame the team on the last quarter.

This year, definitely not. He'll turn it on once in a while but it seems like dumb luck when it happens.

Yurikerr

This year, definitely not. He'll turn it on once in a while but it seems like dumb luck when it happens.

Then we can agree =]

The sad thing for me is that I really like KD as a player (don't know him as a person). And I wish he had stayed at OKC, him playing at this level, with Russel "Triple Double" Westbrook could had been something glorious.

Now he'll get a least a whole year of angry fans and cheering against.

badb0y

The last play was a foul. I'm okay with losing close games against great teams but when something as blatant as that happens and you swallow your whistle it ruins the fun in watching these games.

TTG

Alright, since today is a time to redefine expectations for Warriors' fans regarding Steph, I'll go over it again: Curry isn't injured, but he does not have nearly the same quickness he did before the knee injury. If you watch enough sports you should know how this works, Derek Rose isn't currently "injured" either. An extreme example, but it illustrates the point that some injuries do permanent damage. You know how Curry couldn't get around Kevin Love at the end of game 7 last year? He still can't. If you want to deny that he ever could, well there's at least 2 seasons worth of evidence of him making everyone from Anthony Davis to Kawhi Leonard get pulled around,
not to mention some starting point guard for LA
. In short, go have that discussion with someone else. Keep in mind, he didn't become the 2 time MVP because he can make 6 out of 10 threes from the corner while JJ Redick and such can only make 5. It was his shot making and creating off the dribble.

Meanwhile, it's on KD this year to win them a championship.

Brown and Pat win it all while the Celtic and Cav take down evil. Christmas is the realest time of year!

But the pats are evil, Bread. You know this to be true.

I hate the spurs. They're a division rival, but fuck they're so good

Westbrook on Cavs-Warriors

Also this whole sequence...

I'm so ready for the Rockets to pull a 1986 Finals again, preventing the anticipated 3rd consecutive finals matchup

Did we just become best friends?

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Yea because that is when it matters the most. This season so far is the same thing, so far he is not as good.

Curry hasn't been all that great this year and, at times, just disappears. Durant could have something to do with it but there seems to be a very sharp dividing line before and after his injury in last year's playoffs. When he returned he wasn't nearly as effective in the playoffs and that seems to have continued through the first third of this season...and is reflected in his poor (for him) shooting percentage and lack of aggressiveness on the court. I'm not suggesting he is hurt but maybe something mental going on related to it. He is more passive and doesn't cut nearly as hard as he did before it happened...just sort of odd.

Westbrook spoke on that in an interview with NSFW language: https://twitter.com/FredKatz/status/813172428369199104

I love him so damn much! XD

He's so petty about the Warriors, like the video shows, and every reporter knows it, and he then scares the shit out of those reporters and denies it, being petty towards them.

"Thank you Jamie"..., man, he couldn't even keep a straight face with the bs he was trying to pull there hahaha

EDIT: Oh shit he did say Jamie...
EDIT2: Wait, no, I swear it changes depending on if I'm listening for Kyrie or Jamie

Sandfox

I love him so damn much! XD

He's so petty about the Warriors, like the video shows, and every reporter knows it, and he then scares the shit out of those reporters and denies it, being petty towards them.
Listening to the video after hearing the interview he did in fact say Jamie, so I understand him being upset.

FStop7

Banned
Westbrook spoke on that in an interview with NSFW language: https://twitter.com/FredKatz/status/813172428369199104

The immediacy of the Internet still gets me once in a while. I had literally just watched the video you linked and the ABC broadcast cut to a live shot of Russy sitting in the exact same chair.

Why is Klay such a sore loser? Now he's taking about giving the cavs a gift, in the finals he was constantly going on about how the w's are a better team and they should win, then he stormed off the court like a little bitch after they lost.

He's young and has a lot of pride. He'll either mature and improve or he won't mature and he'll flatten out or fade. Hopefully he figures it out.

Kanguro

Neo Member
Why is Klay such a sore loser? Now he's taking about giving the cavs a gift, in the finals he was constantly going on about how the w's are a better team and they should win, then he stormed off the court like a little bitch after they lost.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Curry was a clutch player for a long time. What it looks like to me is kind of a Nick Anderson thing after being shut down in the finals. More than the new pieces on the team, more than recovering from the injuries, more than anything he looks like he has lost some of his confidence. Going back much further than his MVP years even to back to Davidson, I have never really seen him out there like he doesn't know where he fits. The game today he was a non-factor. He wasn't aggressive at all. We are talking about a back to back MVP in the biggest game of the season so far, and he takes 11 shots in like 35 minutes?

He is just shook this season. It is saying something that a player averaging 24 points on like a 25 PER is having a bad season, but he really doesn't look like himself. He doesn't even look like his pre-MVP self. He looks lost. He needs to find it or I don't think the Warriors will even make it to the finals. To come out today and play like he did against the Cavs kind of tells me a lot.

Curry was a clutch player for a long time. What it looks like to me is kind of a Nick Anderson thing after being shut down in the finals. More than the new pieces on the team, more than recovering from the injuries, more than anything he looks like he has lost some of his confidence. Going back much further than his MVP years even to back to Davidson, I have never really seen him out there like he doesn't know where he fits. The game today he was a non-factor. He wasn't aggressive at all. We are talking about a back to back MVP in the biggest game of the season so far, and he takes 11 shots in like 35 minutes?

He is just shook this season. It is saying something that a player averaging 24 points on like a 25 PER is having a bad season, but he really doesn't look like himself. He doesn't even look like his pre-MVP self. He looks lost. He needs to find it or I don't think the Warriors will even make it to the finals. To come out today and play like he did against the Cavs kind of tells me a lot.

I mean it's early and they made a bunch of roster changes. He's gone from being the primary option hosting up 20 shots a game whenever he felt like it and being really NEEDED to...well...less than that in role, importance and shots. That will take him awhile to get used to. If he ever gets truly used to it.

I'm not really sure how I feel about their team comp right now. Ask me in April.

TTG

He's lost his confidence because he can't get around players or get a shot off. It's going to take time for him to adjust, but not unlike other spot up shooters, he's going to be greatly diminished when good defensive teams make it a high priority.

Won't dampen my mood on Christmas, everyone have a good night. Cavs fans, for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEK97bSz6LQ

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
He's lost his confidence because he can't get around players or get a shot off. It's going to take time for him to adjust, but not unlike other spot up shooters, he's going to be greatly diminished when good defensive teams make it a high priority.

Won't dampen my mood on Christmas, everyone have a good night. Cavs fans, for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEK97bSz6LQ

But why has he lost his confidence? To me their is a definitive drop immediately after suffering that knee injury in the post season. Yes, he occasionally unleashes huge short spurts but on the whole he is passive and tentative. Hell, to my eyes he moves differently...while never explosive he cut really hard both with and without the ball and now I just don't see it. Of course he isn't injured but is that injury playing games with his mind?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

It goes beyond that. He seems like he is afraid to attack at times. A lot of times he can't get around guys because he isn't even trying. There are times he gets the ball and I am ready to see a dribbling exhibition into a drive or a step back and he just... looses the handle a bit then swings it around.

edit: apparently he always plays poorly on Christmas.

i

TTG

It goes beyond that. He seems like he is afraid to attack at times. A lot of times he can't get around guys because he isn't even trying. There are times he gets the ball and I am ready to see a dribbling exhibition into a drive or a step back and he just... looses the handle a bit then swings it around.

edit: apparently he always plays poorly on Christmas.

He's not because he can't. And that has an effect mentally, that's why I'm saying it will take time to adjust, maybe come playoff time he'll have a more aggressive approach. JJ Redick doesn't cross people over either, do you blame him for not trying? Regarding stumbling, how many times have you seen him put a knee on the ground trying something, not off balance?

Seeing Kyrie and Curry in the same game is quite the contrast.

It is. Last 2 years you could have made the argument for either one for best handle in the nba.

Top Bottom