• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Well, we also don't want to make the mistake of overreacting to a single game. I mean, the Warriors were a pretty bad non-call with one second to go away from (probably) winning on the Cavs homecourt with Kyrie going crazy. This isn't meant as complaining or making excuses so much as showing this could have gone either way really easily. Saying "Cavs dominating dubs" is missing a lot of the details.

I would agree that everyone is overreacting to one game. The most discouraging takeaway from the game from the Warrior's perspective, though, is that Cleveland shot 38% from the floor and won.

phanphare

Banned
real talk if the fucking clippers or rockets spoil the 3-peat warriors cavs finals match up I'm gonna be salty as hell

we deserve the trilogy

C0nmfnEWgAAyg5X.jpg

https://twitter.com/WFNYScott/status/813450351668035585

Reopen wound, pour in salt. Repeat as necessary.

I saw this earlier lol, damn. Is this lowkey real or not, because it seems like it is. :D

Game was pretty good, but Warriors (here we go) blew a lead they never should have. Just a lot of awful shit in the 4th. KD kept shooting on isos until the lead was halved, he went to the bench to rest, and the lead didn't stay but dwindled more. Curry was pretty much a passenger/trash, Green TOs galore, and one awful play that would have sealed where Iggy passed like a bum.

OldMan

Banned
I believe RJ winked because the Warriors were trying to eye fuck the Cavs the entire game like really that shit doesn't work here in the east

TTG

Yo I just noticed Steph, during Kyrie's game winner.

Steph_Shook.png

Bruv was already having flashbacks, couldn't even stand to watch Kyrie do it again. Hahahahahaha.

The image of a man buckling under a record setting number of Ls. Kerr needs to start Clark over Curry when they play them again just to see how Steph looks on the bench.

Meanwhile the Rockets are third in the west.

Fjordson

Well, we also don't want to make the mistake of overreacting to a single game. I mean, the Warriors were a pretty bad non-call with one second to go away from (probably) winning on the Cavs homecourt with Kyrie going crazy. This isn't meant as complaining or making excuses so much as showing this could have gone either way really easily. Saying "Cavs dominating dubs" is missing a lot of the details.
Any talk of either team "dominating" is dumb. But sports fans are mostly dumb and blinded by fandom when it comes to discussing their favourite teams so what can you do.

I do think the Cavs repeat this year, though. It'll be close again, 6 or 7 games at least, but combining the finals with this game it's sort of the same song on repeat. Curry struggles, Lebron and the Cavs do just enough to bully the Dubs physically, Kyrie pulls a few shots out of his ass, game over. Durant certainly changes things, but with Kyrie and Love becoming much more comfortable against the Warriors I think they negate him somewhat. Really, everyone on Cleveland seems to be able to pitch in. Hell, even Channing Frye was able to contribute. You would think the Dubs could exploit the hell out of a stiff like him on offense, and yet....

I could be wrong. I was certain the Dubs would win last year and that was obviously wrong. Just have a gut feeling that the Cavs have Golden State's number.

I think Rockets go to finals. There have only been two cases of teams splitting back-to-backs, leading to a highly anticipated 3rd showdown that doesn't happen:

1) 1984-1985 Celtics vs Lakers
2) 1988-1989 Pistons vs Lakers

In both 1986 and 1990, the repeating teams were the top seed in their respective conference.

In 1986, the Rockets took out the Lakers in the conference finals. In 1990, the Suns beat the Lakers in the semifinals, before losing to the Trailblazers in the conference finals. Thus, the Rockets have the best claim to the title of "Official Upsetting Team For Anticipated 3rd Matchups of the NBA".

In both cases, the upsetting team was the 3rd seed in the Western Conference. Now, I'm not saying the Rockets are going to be the 3rd seed, but the Warriors and Spurs are always consistent, and the Clippers are down both stars for a good stretch of games (including a game against the Rockets soon), and the Grizzlies have been plagued by injuries all season.

In both cases, the upset team was from the Western Conference
In both cases, the upset team was from California.

So I'm just saying that the Rockets have history on their side for this year.

In both cases, the Eastern Conference Champion wins, but we'll pretend that didn't happen

Marz

I think Rockets go to finals. There have only been two cases of teams splitting back-to-backs, leading to a highly anticipated 3rd showdown that doesn't happen:

1) 1984-1985 Celtics vs Lakers
2) 1988-1989 Pistons vs Lakers

In both 1986 and 1990, the repeating teams were the top seed in their respective conference.

In 1986, the Rockets took out the Lakers in the conference finals. In 1990, the Suns beat the Lakers in the semifinals, before losing to the Trailblazers in the conference finals. Thus, the Rockets have the best claim to the title of "Official Upsetting Team For Anticipated 3rd Matchups of the NBA".

In both cases, the upsetting team was the 3rd seed in the Western Conference. Now, I'm not saying the Rockets are going to be the 3rd seed, but the Warriors and Spurs are always consistent, and the Clippers are down both stars for a good stretch of games (including a game against the Rockets soon), and the Grizzlies have been plagued by injuries all season.

In both cases, the upset team was from the Western Conference
In both cases, the upset team was from California.

So I'm just saying that the Rockets have history on their side for this year.

In both cases, the Eastern Conference Champion wins, but we'll pretend that didn't happen

This kind of stuff is meaningless

Line_HTX

LOL, so the NBA admitted that Caveliers benefited from TWO incorrect calls in the final two minutes including the final possession where Durant got his shoes stepped on.

BG lied, people died. BWONG!!

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
LOL, so the NBA admitted that Caveliers benefited from TWO incorrect calls in the final two minutes including the final possession where Durant got his shoes stepped on.

So one missed call with one second left that would have resulted in hysterical overreactions in the other direction? No way.

NBA editing footage of LeBron taunting on the rim was hilarious on their fb feed earlier

the fuck are the warriors mad for, settle it in June unless they choke and dont go back

maladroid

Two years after NBA GAF became Warriors bandwagon central, and they still remain the biggest sore losers.

Complaining about refs in a world where Draymond Green constantly eludes a second tech..

OldMan

Banned
Something's eerily wrong with this Cavs team and the Pistons playing more like a top 4 playoff team rather than bottom bracket level.

THE UNDERHANDED FREE THROWS

100% Free throw shooter.
League shook
This was among the greatest moments of this Rockets seasons, I'm so ridiculously excited about this.

NANU proving all those "embarrassed" terrible free throw shooters wrong, making them look silly. Everyone was so damn excited about these.

Any talk of either team "dominating" is dumb. But sports fans are mostly dumb and blinded by fandom when it comes to discussing their favourite teams so what can you do.

I do think the Cavs repeat this year, though. It'll be close again, 6 or 7 games at least, but combining the finals with this game it's sort of the same song on repeat. Curry struggles, Lebron and the Cavs do just enough to bully the Dubs physically, Kyrie pulls a few shots out of his ass, game over. Durant certainly changes things, but with Kyrie and Love becoming much more comfortable against the Warriors I think they negate him somewhat. Really, everyone on Cleveland seems to be able to pitch in. Hell, even Channing Frye was able to contribute. You would think the Dubs could exploit the hell out of a stiff like him on offense, and yet....

I could be wrong. I was certain the Dubs would win last year and that was obviously wrong. Just have a gut feeling that the Cavs have Golden State's number.
post-58712-Hangover-Zach-Galifianakis-cal-A7Dn.gif

Line_HTX

100% Free throw shooter.
League shook
This was among the greatest moments of this Rockets seasons, I'm so ridiculously excited about this.

NANU proving all those "embarrassed" terrible free throw shooters wrong, making them look silly. Everyone was so damn excited about these.

When Worrell told that story I was like, are you kidding me? That much of a turnaround, huh.

More power to him to get better at free throws, I guess. LOL

Fjordson

Skip isn't even worth acknowledging tbh. Anyone who slights Lebron like he does is just trolling for attention. Or doesn't actually watch basketball.

100% Free throw shooter.
League shook

If he hits them regularly, it would be pretty awesome. Maybe it has an impact on the silly excuse "it looks bad". Yeah, that looks bad, not DeAndre bricks...

rambis

Banned

I mean Draymond was taunting and carrying on all game. Shit evens out.

Have you guys seen how Curry was covering his face and not even watching the game during the final Cavs possession where Kyrie hit the game winner?

I think it's pretty crazy and I've never seen a star player (the reining MVP even) not even watch the game while he's on the bench during crunch time/late in the game. Was he shooked or what?

I think underneath that shirt Steph is on
mjgrin.png
.. he knows Kyrie will cook whoever is in front of him and he's thankful it ain't gonna be him.

Top Bottom